Start by marking “Tea Party Rules” as Want to Read:
Tea Party Rules

Tea Party Rules

When he follows his nose through the woods, Cub discovers a backyard tea party…with cookies! He is just about to dig in when the hostess of the tea party shows up. And she has several strong opinions on how Tea Party must be played. Cub tries to follow her rules . . . but just how much can one bear take, even for cookies?

A laugh-out-loud funny look at the required
Published October 3rd 2013 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Tea Party Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tea Party Rules

Start your review of Tea Party Rules
Melki
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I had no idea there were rules for tea parties until I came upon my son, then three years old, playing with his action figures and overheard the following:

"Can I come to your tea party?" asked the heavily-muscled plastic man with the eyepatch.

"No!" replied the equally muscled plastic man sporting the red Mohawk. He then proceeded to kick the crap out of the unwelcome guest.

Obviously there had been a breach of protocol. A rule had been broken. Retribution was swift and severe.

description
This dog has
Rod Brown
May 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
My daughter is home from her first year of college. Time for Mama, Papa and Baby Bear to sit on the sofa for a picture book binge! (3 of 4)

An interesting start with a case of mistaken identity between a teddy bear and a real cub peters out about halfway through. I'd rather re-read a few of the strips of tea parties gone awry in Richard Thompson's The Complete Cul de Sac:
Cheryl
Jun 22, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars because of the not-so-fancy surprise ending and because of the cat... but overall I, personally, wasn't wowed... not sure why not, plz judge for yourself.
Kathryn
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cute, humorous, and I think kids will get a big kick out the case of "mistaken identity". Plus, there's a tea party in the woods. And cookies. What's not to like? ;-)
Abigail
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone Looking for Stories Featuring Childhood Games & Imaginative Play
Cub loves cookies, so when he comes upon a tea party in the woods, complete with a plateful of his favorite treat, he is elated. Unfortunately for him, the little girl whose tea party it is has quite a few rules, and he soon finds himself being cleaned and neatened up, and (worst of all!) made fancy. Our little ursine hero puts up with it all, hoping for a reward of cookies, but when he is told he must eat daintily(!), he finds that he's reached the limits of his tolerance. His gobbling creates ...more
Suzanne
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I admit it. I am sometimes a bit of a book snob. I like children's books, but I LOVE big novels, regardless of whether they are juvenile or adult. Consequently, when this pastelly-colored children's picture book came in, I thought,"hugh. I guess I'll read it so I know what it is about." I loved the silly picture book Tea Party Rules by Ame Dyckman.

Bear follows his nose through the forest until he discovers a tea party set up with COOKIES! Bear wants cookies. So he nudges the bear sitting
Megan Davis
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Picked this little gem up at Goodwill and was not disappointed.

This sweet story combines humor with a subtle lesson or two, and the illustrations are adorable. What's not to like about a cookie-obsessed bear and the bossy little girl whose tea party he attends?
Stacia Leigh
Loved the first half!
Wendy
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I can strongly relate to the feeling of REALLY WANTING COOKIES.
Adele
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
What an odd little story. I like the developing friendship between the bear and the girl and I think I prefer Campbell's style to some of the other illustrators of the Dyckman books I have read.
Kelly
This book was okay. I liked that it had a progressive story. One thing leads to another, leads to another. And the illustrations were nice. I do think that a child would enjoy this book, but I do think it is a little weak.
SheriC (PM)
Cub will put up with almost anything to eat cookies, but he can’t suppress his essential bear nature forever. I’m not sure what the moral is here, or if there is one, but poor little Cub is so relatable, and the illustrations are great.

Hardcover, borrowed from my public library
Julie Grasso
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very cool, cute story in Ame Dyckman manner. 3.5 year old thinks its a hoot, we love bears inner dialogue, reminds me a little bit of Oh No George. Very hard to beat Boy + Bot, but Ms Dyckman has once again produced another fun story that kids will enjoy+++
Margie
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When you combine the delightful humor of author Ame Dyckman with the equally lively, laughter-inducing artwork of K. G. Campbell, you get a picture book readers will want to read over and over again...with plenty of cookies.

My full review: http://bit.ly/GImujZ
Marissa Elera
Everything about this picture book is spot on! Perfectly arched storyline, classic looking but hilarious illustration, humor, whimsy. I am very impressed. This is a book I wish I had written.
Shannon
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
I'd love to hear Ame read this aloud. Would also pair well with Peter Brown's Lucy Bear books.
Hailey Lavender
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: is-330-exam-2
When I first saw the title of this book, I was not quite sure what it was going to be about, but I ended up loving this book and the story! The illustrations in this story seem to be drawn with colored pencils because in many of the illustrations lines from the pencils coloring in images can be seen. The book uses a variety of colors, but they are all muted and calming, making the illustrations very pleasing to look at. Because of the humor that is conveyed through the illustrations, this book ...more
Debra
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dyckman is wrangling to be my go to author when I need a good book with this tea party story of a bossy girl and a bear. The bear accepts the rules for a tea party in order to get the cookies that were on the table in the yard. The rules are adorably illustrated by K.G. Campbell and will certainly appeal to the listeners of the story in story time. This would be a book that will be cherished even if you do not already have a Tea Party theme planned. I would use this book with Teddy Bear Picnic ...more
Nicola
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Miss 3 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors.

This was a random picture book that I chose. A bear cub pretends to be a toy bear so that he can go to the tea party and eat cookies but first he has to endure all kinds of preparations and dress up (rather like a younger sibling).
Hannah Birk
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el230b
This book has been chosen because of the lesson that it carries underneath all the fun of the bear at a tea party. I enjoyed it because of the creative way that following the rules comes about. This book is one of my family favorites that we read to my young sister who enjoys listening just as much as we enjoy reading.
Pam
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A young bear cub really wants cookies and endures being cleaned, primped and dressed up to make that happen. A young girl wants a fancy tea party with her stuffed animals and doesn't want a messy bear. In the end, they find friendship.
Lots of details in the illustrations to complete the story.
Adrienne
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one my family's favorite children's books! For one thing it's silly, and there's a great surprise at the end, but I like how it teaches us to question our assumptions and rules about how things "should" be done.
Alexis Holmes
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is really good and has good moral lessons for children on following the rules and adjusting so that everyone has fun. Very cute and has a good and unexpected ending.
Syntha Green
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved this story of a bear crashing a tea party
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an adorable book!
Melissa McAlvey
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, picture-books
Super cute story about a bear cub that impersonates a teddy bear so he can eat the tea party food. Totally something Norah would do. Always in it for the snacks. :)
Nadina
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story was very cute and amusing. I liked the plot.
The illustrations were also quite cute.
I do think this is a book kids would enjoy.
Heather
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tasha
Fun story about a bear who comes upon an outdoors tea party - with cookies! There are some rules he has to learn before he can have those tempting cookies though.
Buffie
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-18, new-books-18
This is a blast to read aloud. The trouble bear puts himself through for a taste of those cookies!
Lynn  Davidson
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bear Cub finds an outdoor tea party .. with cookies! .. and gets trapped into having to obey the tea party rules before he can eat any. Funny story and enjoyable expressive illustrations.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Good Egg
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • Is That You, Eleanor Sue?
  • Because