Start by marking “Demon Derby” as Want to Read:
Demon Derby

Demon Derby

She survived cancer, but can she fight demon derby girls? Set in the world of roller derby, the new novel from Carrie Harris, author of Bad Taste in Boys and Bad Hair Day, is perfect for Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans and for anyone facing their own demons, inside or out.

"A resolutely tough cancer survivor winds up battling more than just the opposing team when she goes ou
Published July 8th 2014 by Random House (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Demon Derby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Demon Derby

Alice Liu
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I had some mixed feelings through the first quarter of this book. I was expecting a lot of a supernatural/urban fantasy world building, but Demon Derby tended to skim the surface on that. Instead, it's main focus is on Casey who was once a fearless stunt girl, but having survived cancer, has to redefine who she is. The focus of the book is first on her pain, fear, and anger, and the supernatural elements are in support of her new adventures. What I really loved is that Carrie Harris doesn't shy ...more
Marsha
Buffy the Vampire Slayer on skates. That’s a tagline that sums it up in one neat line. But it doesn’t do the subject justice. Casey is a cancer survivor who’s been struggling with bad health for a while. She isn’t letting it get her down, though.

The author is great at letting us know how Casey feels when others pity her or coddle her. She loves her family fiercely but is the first to think they’re sometimes too much to handle. She’s got a lot on her plate, what with homework, her best friends wh
Ashley
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
I would have enjoyed this book more if it wasn't a paranormal. I thought I would love the paranormal elements, but I didn't end up caring about them. For me they just didn't seem to gel well. If it was only about a girl joining a derby team and falling for the team manager, I would have rated the book higher. As it was, I found myself skimming the paranormal elements a little.
Kelly
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was a freebie, and I knew it would be a quick read. There are so many YA supernatural themed books out now, and this one was average, at best. The story and characters were not particularly well-defined. Not a terrible read, but I’m not inclined to seek out another but okay this author.
Jacklynn Sizemore
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book. I so love Casey she is so brave and smart. To know more about this book grab your copy today a so so so must read!!!!
Jessica Pauley
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting. Had a lot of detail. A lot of action. Also had a little amount of comedy
Timothy
Jun 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Carrie Harris' third novel is an unusual hybrid: Buffy the Vampie Slayer mets Whip It meets any cancer YA novel you care to name. The fact that she successfully marries the three elements is no small feat, although she takes some liberties in doing so. This is a passably entertaining read, particularly if you have a thing for one of those three distinctive elements, but it suffers from unconvincing conveniences, and some major cut corners.

This novel could have easily followed one track. Teenage
Sally Kruger
Casey has always liked to kick ass. Her hobbies are skateboarding, freerunning, and martial arts. She has devoted her life to taking risks and making her mark. Unfortunately, instead of becoming renown for her accomplishments in one of her chosen sports, she has become known as the girl who survived cancer.

Having won her battle with leukemia, Casey is ready to resume normal life and reconnecting with her dare devil friends. Not being at her peak physically is causing some tension as she attempts
Beth
Casey Kent is a teenage cancer survivor and hates being seen by her friends and family as fragile. So when she tries out for the local roller derby team, many are hesitant to allow her to do so -- especially the team captain, who seems to want to do nothing but make her life miserable. But Casey soon finds out that cancer was a walk in the park compared to the new demons she must fight: well, that's because they're actual demons.

Carrie Harris's novels are perfect to give to readers like me who d
John Clark
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
How do you get back to normal after surviving cancer? That's the dilemma Casey's facing. Her stamina is low and she's out of the loop because of her cancer treatment. When she gets a chance to audition for a roller derby team, something her older sister used to do and was quite good at, she jumps at the chance. It doesn't hurt that Michael, manager of the team is ultra-good looking. If only it were that easy to get back in the swing of things. The leader of the rollergirl pack, Ruthanasia, is de ...more
Dr susan
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-again
Demon Derby felt a little personal. I did not have leukemia as a teen; I had to have a lung lobe removed when I was 45. I was in good shape physically, was training and competing with my dogs in Schutzhund, got influenza, had a chest x-ray, and my life fell apart. I had pulmonary neuroendocrine carcinoma, 1 of 1600 people diagnosed in 2006. The surgery caused permanent damage, people looked at me differently, and I had to fight to get my life back. I did not have chemo (there is no chemotherapy ...more
Natasha
A mash-up with some fun parts, but suffering from trying to be too many things at once: a cancer survivor's story of after-cancer, a demon-slaying monster fight, a grrl power romp, and a derby girl action story. The best parts are where the main character, Casey, talks about her anger and frustration with being less physical than she once was, and with people hovering over her and being protective (although the over-protectiveness is very inconsistent throughout the story). It's got some funny p ...more
Mrs.Melaugh Melaugh
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
As a recovering cancer patient, Casey misses the strong, daredevil girl she used to be -- a freerunner and martial artist. Now physically weaker, she is all too aware of her own mortality. When she hears about tryouts to become a roller derby girl, Casey jumps at the chance to recapture her fearlessness. She meets the gorgeous roller derby team manager, Michael, who turns out to be a Sentinel come to earth to train people how to destroy demons. Casey becomes his first demon-hunter and happily, h ...more
Jennybeast
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Wants to be Buffy. Isn't. But comes closer than most! I appreciate a lot of things about Casey -- that she's a skater girl, that she loves parkour, that she is willing to play hard and get beat up and deals with her anger in a variety of interesting ways. I also really like that she's a cancer survivor who is fighting not to be defined by that, and that when people call her on bad behavior she deals with it.

This book is absolutely a love affair with Derby and the tough girls who play it, so if
Tammy
Casey beat cancer and is ready to gain back her strength and freedom. Joining the Apocalypsies roller derby team would be a great way to build up her endurance and self-confidence. Little does Casey know that the super hot team manager is a sentinel and that her battle with cancer has turned her into demon prey. Is Casey strong enough and brave enough to become a demon hunter? Filled with humor, this book would be a fun addition to a library's teen collection. Casey's spirit and zest for life ma ...more
Rose
Aug 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I honestly can't think of any other book that combines roller derbies, cancer survivors, demon destroyers, and...bobbleheads. But there you have it. If you're tired of the story about the poor teen who dies tragically of cancer, but not until falling in love with someone who is totally perfect for them, and then leaving you sobbing through a box of tissues, maybe this is more the cancer book for you. The author's husband is a survivor, and they have noticed there aren't too many books about kids ...more
Valerie
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Casey is a survivor of leukemia. She's feeling so in spirit and body. She tries to go freerunning with her friends but don't have the stamina and hurt herself.
She is attacked in an alley one night and defeats the bad guy when he saw her necklace. She didn't know he was a demon.
Her friend Darcy invites her to the roller derby tryouts where she meets Michael. He reminded her of the guy who attacked her. Michael explained to her about demons and her being a hunter.
This book was so action packed. Ca
Amy
Mar 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, so I enjoyed this book. There's just a few problems. 1. The timeline of events is EXTREMELY short. Normally that doesn't bother me, but I felt like there was very little happening because the timeline was so accelerated. Everything just happened so quickly, I barely had time to get attached to the story or the characters. 2. Because of the accelerated timeline, the insta-love was super strong with this one. Again, this doesn't always bother me, but it did here. I just, they barely knew each ...more
Bea
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Demon Derby is an amazing book full of action and excitement. I really like how this book shows that you have to be strong even if you’ve gone through bad things. Its a really good lesson. I wish it was part of a series but sadly its not. She did write some other books which I hope are as amazing as this book. I would definitely recommend other to read this book. Its a thriller so if you enjoy thrillers you might want to read this.
Mar 10, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Cover Reveal coming March 12, 2013 to Tome Tender:

Click Picture for Link to Reveal
Raychull Bryson
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
great fun. i may have to check out more on the derby. didn't know they did so much for charity. also great to see a SURVIVOR cancer story. casey's progression is inspiring, seeing her find herself after such a difficult time of life. not only does she reinvent herself, but finds a way to blend her new self with her past pre-cancer existence. very inspiring for young cancer patients. fun characters and a hot sentinel.
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Casey was a fearless athlete- then she was diagnosed with leukemia. After almost dying , she is now in remission. She has to figure out how to live - with the knowledge of death not being far away.

The fact that his involves roller derby, demon hunting , and bobble heads is just a bonus.
Casey feels real, her reactions are true to being a teenager and to those that unexpectedly survived a serious illness

and the book is funny

April
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Well..you know, just your average cancer-survivor, demon-hunting junior derby girl story..I can't figure out if I can only give it two stars because demon-hunting books are puh-retty low down on my list of preferred stories, or if the off-kilter derby language (including the old rules set, GASP) killed it...or if this is just a twist on riding on TFIOS coat-tails. Overall, one big MEH.
Sandra
Jul 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
Quick fun read about cancer survivor Casey who is determined to prove she hasn't lost her nerve, she tries out for roller derby and becomes involved in demon slaying. The plot is a little sloppy in the execution but it is an enjoyable read if you don't expect too much in the way of depth or polish. I also liked how close Casey was to her sister Rachel.
Sera Lewis
Jan 21, 2015 rated it liked it
A funny, easy to read YA with demons, roller girls, and cancer. Who wouldn't want to read that?
Val
Aug 12, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5. this was a quick fun read. as usual it was full of humor and a strong, witty heroine.
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun read with lots of action and a great heroine.
Sophia Jones
Sep 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Not exactly fine literature- well okay, pretty trashy but a fun read all the same.
Miss M
May 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Typical YA read, good plot but somewhat predictable.
Melissa
Aug 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads, ya
Not spectacular, but I LOVED the strong because of cancer not in spite of cancer angle.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Storm (Salt, #2)
  • Released (The Eternal Balance, #3)
  • The Gramm Curse (Night Watchmen, #0.5)
  • White Trash Zombie Gone Wild (White Trash Zombie #5)
  • Touching Embers (Touch, #3)
  • Glimpse
  • Snow White and the Seven Robots: A Graphic Novel
  • Darkness Hidden (The Name of the Blade, #2)
  • The Rise and Fall of the Gallivanters
  • Hung Up
  • The Blood Scion (The Scion Legacy #1)
  • Falling Hard (Roller Girls #1)
  • Headhunters
  • Shift (Realms, #1)
  • Aspen
  • Angel (The Evolution, #1)
  • Until You Find Me (Untamed, #1)
  • Ninja-Rella: A Graphic Novel
Carrie Harris is a geek-of-all-trades and proud of it. Brains are her specialty; she used to work at a lab where they were delivered daily via FedEx. After that, it seemed only natural to write a zombie book. Now she lives in Utah with her ninja-doctor husband and three zombie-obsessed children.