Start by marking “Philly Stakes (Amanda Pepper, #2)” as Want to Read:
Philly Stakes (Amanda Pepper, #2)

Philly Stakes (Amanda Pepper #2)

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  334 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
"The central pleasure is Pepper and her catalogue of urban woes, delivered with self-depracting savagery and humor in a scathing first person."
THE PHILADELHPIA INQUIRER

Book two in the Amanda Pepper mystery series.

Amanda Pepper, an English teacher at school for Philadelphia's filthy rich, is determined to teach the kids a lesson about the true spirit of Christmas. She inten
Mass Market Paperback, 10 pages
Published August 13th 1990 by Fawcett (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Philly Stakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Philly Stakes

Jenn
Feb 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Amanda Pepper is the ultimate in everyday crime solvers. She's really a school teacher, but seemed to find herself in some awkward situations where she just has to play sleuth. I really like her because she's believable. She doesn't pull clues and theories out of mid air and she doesn't go out of her way to find mysteries. She could almost be described as average and boring by those who don't know her. She also goes out of her way to help just about anyone. It's like she has a heart of gold even ...more
Linda Rowland
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoying Amanda.
Rena Sherwood
Before there was Lisa Scottoline and the Rosato and Associates mystery series, there was Amanda Pepper. Both series are set in Philadelphia, which sometimes becomes more of another character than a mystery series setting. This is the first Amanda Pepper book I've read and I'm impressed enough to pursue other books in the series.

This is a good whydunnit, which is more difficult to figure out than WHOdunnit. This also has some recurring elements that do not interfere with the solving of the myster
Connie
If you can overlook the references to out-of-marriage relationships . . ., this is a humorous, cleverly written, suspenseful read. Amanda Pepper teaches at Philly Prep, "a school for overly-privileged underachievers." She wants to plan an activity to get her students to look beyond themselves, but a noted wealthy, politition-wannabe business man takes over. After the event, there is a fire and a death for which three individuals claim responsibility. Could have fooled me. :)
Jill Holmes
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christmas is coming to Philadelphia, but teacher Amanda Pepper is having problems keeping the classroom seats filled as the holiday break approaches, let alone getting her students interested in the true meaning of the season. She teaches English at Philly Prep, a school where high school students prepare to go to college and their parents' money insures that they will get there. Amanda decides a project to feed the homeless may excite the kids and teach them about giving instead of receiving. S ...more
Reenie
Apr 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just re-read this book and enjoyed it, some of it may be a little dated, and Amanda seems a little preachy now. However, being a long time Philly girl, Gillian Roberts does an excellent job of capturing the feel of the city in 70 and 80's Brought back memories with the Wanamaker's Eagle and the Woolworth counter (near where I worked). I will definately re-read the rest of the series as it is on Kindle now.
Stephanie
Dec 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I didn't like this story as much as two others I had read by this author. Using the homeless as a plot device didn't work for me, but most of the characters had no appeal to me. If it wasn't for the fact that I LIKE the characters of Amanda, NoName, her mother and Sasha, I wouldn't even try another book. So, please, if you have not read this author before, DON'T start with this book. Start with the first one.
Fmorlan
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
amanda pepper - teacher to the rich just wanted to show her students how help others during the holidays. Unfortunately, her idea was changed to promote one of the students father's goals. He had a good party but two ended up dead. Needless to say she did her share of sleuthing. I like this series being from Philadelphia.
Bruce Reiter
My first read of a Gillian Roberts. Recommended by Kathleen and read during a cruise in the Greek Islands so definitely a beach book. Set during the Christmas Holidays with a couple of unsanitary murders and a depressed student. A good untaxing romp for the sleuth in all of us.
LJ
Philly Stakes - G+
Roberts, Gillian

Philadelphia schoolteacher Amanda Pepper wants her students to develop some social consciousness, but when the wealthy benefactor of a party for the homeless is killed, she becomes a teacher-turned-detective.

Light but quite good.
Untreed Reads: Amanda Pepper Wins a Devotee in PHILLY STAKES 1 3 Mar 05, 2012 02:28PM
  • A Really Cute Corpse (Claire Malloy, #4)
  • Homeward the Seeking Heart (Orphan Train West, #2)
  • Gaudi Afternoon (Cassandra Reilly, #1)
  • At Home for the Holidays
  • Motherhood and Hollywood: How to Get a Job Like Mine
  • South Of Sanity (Hannah Garvey Mystery #2)
  • Crystal Clear
  • Death in a Tenured Position (A Kate Fansler Mystery #6)
  • Death in Blue Folders (Sigrid Harald, #3)
  • Hard Fall (Lucy Guardino FBI Thriller #4)
  • Where Trouble Sleeps
  • The Bad Book Affair (Mobile Library Mystery, #4)
  • Everything and a Kite
  • Deadly Dreams (Mindhunters, #5)

Amanda Pepper (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Caught Dead in Philadelphia (Amanda Pepper, #1)
  • I'd Rather Be in Philadelphia (Amanda Pepper, #3)
  • With Friends Like These... (Amanda Pepper, #4)
  • How I Spent My Summer Vacation (Amanda Pepper, #5)
  • In the Dead of Summer (Amanda Pepper, #6)
  • The Mummers' Curse (Amanda Pepper, #7)
  • The Bluest Blood (Amanda Pepper, #8)
  • Adam and Evil (Amanda Pepper, #9)
  • Helen Hath No Fury (Amanda Pepper, #10)
  • Claire and Present Danger (Amanda Pepper, #11)