Start by marking “Blasphemy: New and Selected Stories” as Want to Read:
Blasphemy: New and Selected Stories

Blasphemy: New and Selected Stories

"Alexie once again reasserts himself as one the most compelling contemporary practitioners of the short story. In Blasphemy, the author demonstrates his talent on nearly every page. . . . Will appeal to fans of Junot Diaz, George Saunders, and readers new to Alexie will find this enriching collection to be the perfect introduction to a formidable literary voice. . . . [Ale ...more
Published October 8th 2013 by Grove Press (first published September 26th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Blasphemy, please sign up.
Ned This is my first time reading this author and I'm thoroughly enjoying it and have snorted out loud more than a few times. He's very satirical but at…moreThis is my first time reading this author and I'm thoroughly enjoying it and have snorted out loud more than a few times. He's very satirical but at the same time some stories can be very profound and deep. Really glad I bought this.(less)

Brian
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“We fought hard for our happiness, and sometimes we won.”

I have not read Sherman Alexie in many many years, and when I decided to pick up “Blasphemy”, I was not sure what to expect. This short story collection contains 31 stories, 16 of them never before published and 15 from previous works. I will say this about this book, it is absorbing. I was never bored while reading it.
The text opens with a brilliant draw you in right away story called “Cry Cry Cry”, written in a staccato style that simply
Miah D
Nov 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Sherman Alexie is one of the most well-regarded voices in 21st century Native American literature. And, he's one of my favorite authors. So, it pains me greatly to rate Blasphemy with three out of five stars, when I know him to be a five-star author.

Blasphemy explores the continued modern-day alienation of Native Americans and his community's struggles with alcoholism, acceptance of homosexuality, and the death of strong Native American men. Darkly comic, Blasphemy makes the reader smile at time
BrokenTune
Sep 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Blasphemy is a collection of short stories by Sherman Alexie, which I didn't know until I started reading the book. Yes, go me for not reading the blurb and going wild on my library's online reservations feature!

I really like short stories but - and I mentioned this in other reviews before - not every author can write them, and only few authors can really write them well.
Short stories are a different beast from novellas or novels.

Alexie's stories are entertaining and informative, and they certai
Ann M
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sherman Alexie can do no wrong.
Daniel Cohen
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

What a ride. I'm still rather new to short story anthologies (I tend to prefer a good novel) and this one hit me hard. I especially loved the final story, 'What you pawn I will redeem.' My chest still aches after finishing it just a few minutes ago. I usually give myself a little bit of time to write a review, but I was so impressed by "Blasphemy" I knew I had to go and write something right away and hopefully persuade someone to give the book a try.

Alexie writes like no one else I've come acro
Connie  Kuntz
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sherman Alexie writes about evil and shame so beautifully, I am now convinced that evil and shame are good things.

He also writes about wisdom, sex, and the repercussions that come with both. Here is an example:

"Every woman can have all the men she wants if she lowers her standards a bit."

Every short story in this collection is excellent, but if you want to know which ones are my favorites they are:

Green World. Incredible imagery. A short story that takes place in the future. Windmill farms, bi
George
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sherman-alexie
COMPELLING. AND SO WELL TOLD.

“Does a holy song lose its power if its singer is untalented?”—War Dances (p.47)

I’m not a big fan of melancholy. I’m not a big fan of slice-of-life. I’m not a big fan of despair, either. Yet I am a huge fan of Sherman Alexie; although his stories are rife with all of the above. They’re also packed with irony, irreverence, warmth, humor, human-interest, a smidgen of hope, and some of the best damn metaphors ever, anywhere.

The 24 stories (12 old, 12 new), in his collec
Jordan
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book hit me from all sides, hard.

Sherman Alexie's latest (?) collection of short stories combines his older works (which I hadn't read before) with new works and ideas (again, nope), and now I'm kicking myself for not having explored Alexie's work before; believe me, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian has been bumped waaaaaay up in my queue.

While some of the basketball-centric stories started to lose me, the overwhelming majority of this collection made me think, feel, and sh
Helen Mallon
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Philadelphia Inquirer Review

An Excerpt

QUESTION: Why does America love Sherman Alexie, author of Blasphemy: New and Selected Stories?

ANSWER: Well, he's a sometime standup comedian - who also happens to be a prolific, award-winning poet, novelist, young-adult writer, and filmmaker. Of course, successful isn't the same as lovable. A true comedian, Alexie lampoons all species of Americans in his writing, but what makes him popular is his inclusive embrace.

If Charles Dickens had been born to the S
Barbara
Sherman Alexie writes some short stories so short, they are almost not stories, and some so long they are almost novellas. One very short one became a movie (Smoke Signals). He makes fun a lot of white folks romanticization of Indians and I have seen a lot of what he describes myself. I should add here that it is white folks who decided to called indigenous people "Native Americans". There are even universities that are so politically correct that they require the use of the term Native American ...more
Anne-Marie Hodge
This is possibly one of the best short story collections that I've read. Often with short stories, I'm left feeling like I still have only an abstract view of the characters. Alexie does a fantastic job of creating moving, deep, thought-provoking situations and characters. The stories in this book center around the lives of Native Americans in the Pacific Northwest, and the diversity of characters still dealing with common themes is extremely interesting and leaves you wanting more. I especially ...more
David
Nov 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed Alexie's writing over the years. It is nice to have this anthology and to revisit the 15 republished stories that comprise his best work in this style. (I'm partial to his poems and shorter novels, particularly "Flight" and "Dangerous Anatomy", but the man can write a story!) Some of the 16 new works are also strong and atmospheric but I'm unlikely to revisit more than 3 or 4 of those.

Ultimately I think that gathering these particular stories together was a disservice to the autho
Petter Nordal
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love Sherman Alexie, like i do, all you need to know is that he is coming out with a new collection!

If you don't love Sherman Alexie, get this book!

Some of the stories are found in other collections, but they are worth reading again. The new ones are full of the amazing voice, cadence, imagery, empathy, vision, hope, undertsanding and humor that make a weekend on the sofa with Sherman Alexie better than a weekend at your favorite vacation destination with your best friends!

(It is true tha
Sandy
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A stranger in his homeland

Alexie's stories are heartbreaking homages to literature in general and to poetry specifically. He illustrates how difficult it is to be an exile in one's own homeland and how family and tribal ties can both sustain and break one's heart. Each one of these short stories is a precious gem that lingers in the reservation of my mind.
Jennifer Spiegel
I don't even know how to write about Alexie. The craziest part is that within six months, I've read maybe four of his books and seen SMOKE SIGNALS--and his #metoo involvement came into light during my reading. I guess, very briefly, I can say that it's been my impression--throughout my limited collegiate stuff--that many writers were problematic on one end of the spectrum, and vile on the other. I would say this penetrates into all fields (no lewd pun intended!), but I only know this field. Ther ...more
Beth Lind
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honest, painfully so at times. I love a book that makes me squirm sometimes. Alexis books have all been really good and this collection of short stories didn't disappoint.
Julia
Thirty-one new and selected short stories by one of my favorite writers. Do I hear B.D. Wong when I reread “Breaking and Entering” because he read the story on “Selected Shorts?” Yes, of course. And I hear Keir Dullea’s voice as I reread “What You Pawn, I Will Redeem,” from the same radio show. Some I know —or think I know-- I’ve read before like “The Toughest Indian in the World,” “The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven,” “This Is What It Means to Say Phoenix, Arizona,” “War Dances.”

I d
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of stories is not all new, which dropped the rating (not because they're not good stories, but because I'd already read them and really would have loved more new stuff).

What Alexie means by "Blasphemy" is, I think, that he's unafraid to talk about the things that most Indians don't want to talk about: the alcoholism, the HUD homes, the poverty of the rez, etc.. Very few of the stories fail to touch on one, if not all, of those themes, hammering home again and again how the Indian
Gina
Sherman Alexie is one of those authors that I never truly know how to review. And that's a good thing. This collection of both new and previously published short stories (all new to me) covers a range of what it means to be a "modern day Indian" (his words) navigating between reservations and the outside world. His writing touches on a range of emotion, intellectual review, a writing as a craft that makes it hard to discuss, especially critically. For example, there were stories I connected with ...more
Megan Baxter
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I may borrow a metaphor from my favourite author, this is the sort of short story collection that should be served with a whisk brush, so you can dust yourself off after you pick yourself up off the floor. Blasphemy was my first introduction to Sherman Alexie, and it certainly won't be the last.

Note: The rest of this review has been withheld due to the changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You can read why I came to this decision here.

In the meantime, you can read the entire review at
Kathy
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A tender, rough, brilliant collection of stories. No one writes quite like Sherman Alexie. He walks that line between breaking your heart into pieces and making you want to howl or laugh or rush out into the rain just because, declaring your imperfections and humanity. Wow.
(this was a Goodreads First Reads win, and I read an uncorrected proof).
Ambre Lee
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beginning with "Cry Cry Cry"-it's like Alexie takes a cold steel blade to your gut and gives it a subtle turn...the story is so good it leaves you breathless. Meth is a huge problem in certain LA communities and it's invigorating to read something that feels so poignant-instead of the tiresome Breaking Bad show that doesn't seem to go away.
Emily
Oct 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, shortstories
Almost every story was amazing. I love the way Alexie thinks. I love his sarcasm. I like the way he makes me sad. The first book of his I read made me angry in my impotence. But we've grown together and now I recommend him to everybody. I guess I can return this book to my mother now :-)
cat
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
How is it possible that I have never read Sherman Alexie before? That is no longer true and I am so looking forward to making my way through his entire body of work. Loved these stories and his voice.
Margaret Murray
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blasphemy is a brilliant book of stories exposing the allure and cheap hypocrisy of our contemporary American culture. It’s no accident this book was written by a Native American writer.

Warning: National Book Award winner Sherman Alexie’s newest collection of short stories contains blasphemy. Each of these thirty-one stories (sixteen brand new) may include scenes, characters or language that will make you cringe. You might find something in each that is shocking, sacrilegious, irreverent, profan
Magdelanye
Foolishly,I wrote my first review of this book on the fly, and when it didnt post,that was it,gone. So it's taken me a little while to write something else which I am now about to copy in the hope that this will take.

I am taking the trouble to do this, not that I think it will make much difference in the great scheme of things,but because the effort is worth it if i just can introduce at least one person to this amazing and underrated author. Because Sherman Alexie is the real deal. His muscular
Emma (Miss Print)
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vine
Blasphemy: New and Selected Stories by Sherman Alexie (2012)

I've read several of Alexie's earlier story collections as well as his novels Flight, Reservation Blues and The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. Alexie is an incredibly talented writer shining a light onto a part of America's culture that is very rarely seen in modern literature.

That said, his work is never easy to take filled with wasted potential, sadness and a pervasive sense of everything that an entire culture has lost
James
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have read most of the stories, have been savoring them, but "Search Engine" prompted this short review and recommendation. Corliss is another wonderfully memorable character. The last one who struck me so was Ava in "Swamplandia". Although they are very different in a lot of ways, they are both strong young women, plotting their own paths in life--kind of going against the stream, or expectations others have of them. They remind me of my strong daughter, and their relationships with their mother ...more
Bondama
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have dearly loved virtually everything Sherman Alexie has written. To the best of my knowledge, he is part Spokane, and part Couer d'Alene Native American. (Although Alexie has stated, both in print and in talks - He prefers the term "Indian."

He can be hilariously funny - Indians have a broad, bawdy sense of humour, as a rule. But his most moving stories and novels have a deep sense of honor and grave love of the land and his own culture. It's to his credit that he can describe the "rez" (rese
Danielle Franco-Malone
I made it about 75 pages through and then got pretty tired of it. As much as I love Sherman Alexie, I am somewhat tired of the semi-autobiographical short stories, many involving the same little quirks, like having had water on the brain as a baby, living outside the Spokane reservation, and all relying on the same themes about modern day tribal dysfunction/isolation and the search for identity/community, etc. It just starts to feel so damn formulaic! And unlike a novel, the short story format m ...more
Tompkins County P...: Rate this book 1 1 Oct 31, 2017 07:08AM

• The Best of Larry Niven
  • The Outlaw Album
  • Rez Life: An Indian's Journey Through Reservation Life
  • Shout Her Lovely Name
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Who I Was Supposed to Be
  • Pieces of White Shell
  • American Masculine
  • The Fun Parts
  • The Best Short Stories by Black Writers: 1899 - 1967
Sherman J. Alexie, Jr., was born in October 1966. A Spokane/Coeur d'Alene Indian, he grew up on the Spokane Indian Reservation in Wellpinit, WA, about 50 miles northwest of Spokane, WA. Alexie has published 18 books to date.
Alexie is an award-winning and prolific author and occasional comedian. Much of his writing draws on his experiences as a modern Native American. Sherman's best known works in
“In this world, we must love the liars or go unloved” 10 likes
“He felt split in two, one crazy man eating hair and one rational man watching a crazy man eat hair. He chewed and swallowed the last pieces of his father's life. He felt like he was building a museum of pain, a freak show, where he was the only visitor viewing the only mutant screaming the only prayer he knew: Come back, Daddy. Come back, Daddy. Come back, Daddy. Come back, Daddy. Come back, Daddy. Come back, Daddy. Come back, Daddy. Come back Daddy...” 3 likes