Start by marking “Eat Move Sleep: How Small Choices Lead to Big Changes” as Want to Read:
Eat Move Sleep: How Small Choices Lead to Big Changes

Read Book

Eat Move Sleep: How Small Choices Lead to Big Changes

The latest  New York Times  bestseller from Tom Rath, featuring a new assessment, personalized Eat Move Sleep Plan, and a host of online tools for individuals, groups, and organizations. Named to Apple iTunes Best of 2013 in Nonfiction and Health.

"Well written and scrupulously researched, this breezy guide lobbies for an all-encompassing approach to improving one's lifesty
Published October 8th 2013 by Missionday (first published October 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Eat Move Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eat Move Sleep

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Read the title, and you don't need to read the book. Trite, repetitive, and incredibly simplistic, Rath's new book made me want to sit on the couch and stuff my face with Oreos.

To hell with the guilt trip. I have run eight marathons. I exercise ten plus hours each week, eat healthfully 85 percent of the time, shun all soda (diet and regular), and STILL have borderline high blood pressure. Take that, Tom!

We can do our best, but genetics play a huge role. Rath should know. Because he has Von Hip
Amirography
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ترجمهی مادرمه. نمیتونم نظر بیطرف بدم خب :)) ...more
Janette Fuller
Shelves: non-fiction
Mr. Tom Rath has organized this book about healthy living into the following three categories;
(1.) Eat - Our diet
(2.) Move - Exercise
(3.) Sleep - How many hours each night?

Mr. Rath has spent many years researching these topics and has presented the information in a fascinating and scholarly book about the food we eat, our daily exercise and sleep habits.

The author believes the right choices over time will greatly improve our odds for a long and healthy life. The problem is, we can't see the thre
Nancy
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
I would rename this book, "Guilt, Guiltier, Guiltiest". Instead of being an inspiration to eat right, move more and sleep better I found this to be a depressing slap on the wrist that no matter how much you try it won't be enough.

Because of a rare genetic condition the author, Tom Rath, is acutely aware of diet and lifestyle on health and longevity. There's no doubt that he is passionate about his subject and dedicated to living as he preaches. However, the message to me was that unless you wan
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Eat, Move, Sleep is a highly readable, very inspiring book about taking charge of one’s health. But it’s not a book that exhort its reader to make a total overall to how they normally do things. It is a much more practical approach for those readers who want to know which lifestyle changes they can make that will have the greatest impact. In other words: If I can only change/start with one or two things, which will help me the most?

The main premise of the books is this: Many diet and exercise pl
Cara
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: life, health
This book was surprisingly boring. I don't really think of myself as a health-conscious person, but apparently I read a lot on this topic, because I seem to already have a very solid opinion on almost everything this guy has to say. Some I adamantly agree with, and some I adamantly disagree with.
- "Sleep more"? YES!!! Absolutely! He's right!
- "Sugar is bad for you"? Clearly true, though I eat it anyway.
But...
- "Red meat is bad and should be avoided"? No!
- "Every bite you take matters"? Screw
Cary Plunkett
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You know those health books that are full of statistics, research, percentages, numbers, and guilt ridden chapters? Well, rest easy Tom Rath has written a book that won't make you feel like a complete fat and lazy sloth. A "normal" non-scientist could pick up this book, read it, and actually put it into practice. Rath has organized his book into 30 short chapters to ideally be read one chapter a day with one suggestion involving, eating better, moving more, and sleeping better.

Rath starts off th
nananatte
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-favorites
กิน หลับ ขยับตัว : เคลดไมลับ เปลียนชีวิตแบบพลิกฝามือ (Eat Move Sleep) โดย TOM RATH แปลโดย ดลพร รุจิรวงศ สนพ.โอเพนเวิรลส

ถาใหมากกวา 5 ดาวไดกจะให 5-7 ดาวเลยคะกับ Eat Move Sleep
เราชอบตรงทีเคาไมยัดเยียดคะ มันไมใชหนังสือสอนลดนำหนัก ลดความอวน หรือหนังสือบอกใหไปออกกำลังกาย-เขาฟิตเนสสิ
แหม... กเราไมชอบออกกำลังกายนะคะ และแนนอนวาเราไมใชสายกินคลีนดวย ดังนัน ถาถามเราวาหนังสือเลมนีเปนแนวไหน เราวามันเปนสายปรับ Mindset เพือการมีชีวิตทีมีสุขภาพดีมีสุขนะคะ

คุณ Tom Rath แกเปนมนุษยทีตรวจเจอตังแตวัยรุนวาเคามีมะเรงในรา
Gayle
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book will help you live not just longer but also better. Long admired for his ground-breaking books on well-being and workplace engagement, Tom Rath now takes on our bodies. In Eat Move Sleep, Rath urges us to take small steps every day that in the long run lead to a longer length and higher quality of life.

To nudge us in the right direction, he has organized a “virtual sea of information” from the most credible scientific sources available. The 30 chapters each contain one tip with ration
Lessi Perez
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I like to think that I am quite well read and that I know A LOT about health. So when I got this book, I thought that there was not much more I could learn. I was honestly surprised. Rath translates a tremendous amount of research into actionable steps that we can adapt. Rath doesn't guilt us or scare us into adapting a healthier lifestyle -- he gives us the research base and provides helpful/reasonable/realistic tips on how to live life healthier (and hopefully, longer). And while we probably c ...more
Dave
Disclaimer: I received this book on a First Reads Giveaway.

The name of this book is spot on! From the introduction on, this book got me hooked. Every one of the ideas are doable by any of us. As always with any self-help book, the trick is doing something consistently and making it stick. But a lot of these tips are things that, even if we do not make a permanent change and implement them only sporadically, we can benefit from them. (That is not pessimism speaking, only realism.)

The author prese
Ryan Dejonghe
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
When Missionday shared this book with me to review, they had one small request: “please identify at least one small choice that you will make differently to improve your health.” That’s awesome! The following review is my honest opinion; I will conclude this review with some small changes I’ve been making toward better help—inspired by this book.

EAT MOVE SLEEP is a book of simple ideas that make a big difference. Author Tom Rath begins by sharing his personal story about being diagnosed with a r
Diane S ☔
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
There are so many health and wellness books published every year, self-help books being number one in books purchased. What made this book different is that the author himself has an incurable disease that few people have, so it is in his best interest to keep researching and to read everything about health and wellness.

Found out some interesting things that I did not know, also reinforced some I did, but underestimated the importance. Love how the book was set up and written, very clear, concis
Lauri Rottmayer
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Eat Move Sleep is a great little book full of practical health advice. Written by a man who has every reason to eat and live healthfully, each chapter ends with three action items you can put into practice immediately. There are thirty chapters so by the end of a month, you will be practicing a lot better lifestyle habits.

One of the most powerful statements in the book is that sugar is the new tobacco. I believe this! Sugar is in all of our food even in places you wouldn't think to look for it.
Rochelle Melander
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure: I love this kind of stuff, and I read a lot of it. Not much in Rath's book was new to me. But I like how Rath presents these ideas in tiny snippets--small enough that even the laziest of us can pick up one small idea and run with it. I'd highly recommend it to the healthy living newbie. Buy a copy, put it in the bathroom or on the breakfast table, and challenge yourself to take on one small change a week.
Mystie Winckler
Reading a prerelease review copy. Loving it so far!
Conny
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I was a First Read Winner of this book and I really enjoyed it. I had lost a lot of weight some 20 years ago but over the last year, after a change in my employment, I have struggled with my weight more and more, so I was eager to give this book a try. It was filled with great ideas that I will be eager to incorporate into my daily life. I found that the book offered some suggestions to achieve my goal again that I had not thought of before. I work in the medical field and I can tell you from ex ...more
Aga Page
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found the author's personal story quite inspiring. His focus on simple yet proven steps for improving his odds of living longer in good health - instead of complaining about the "genetic lottery" he lost - was very motivating. In particular, what I have read has influenced the way I view the importance of sleeping (more) and moving (much more, whenever there is a chance). The writing is straightforward and the content seems to be well-researched (at least based on the list of references) - for ...more
Andylewicki
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Let's make it straight: there are tons of books on how to live longer and healthy. But this one is exceptional. It actually "makes you move" to the your kitchen and check the ratio between carbs and proteins on your food items. In my opinion this book should be a must reading for teenage girls and boys, and for all of us for that matter. There are no lengthy lectures, but short, down to earth, practical advises on how to live well. It's that simple, if you eat well, move daily and sleep 6-8 hour ...more
أحمد عبدان
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: صحة
كل تحرك نم، ثلاث قواعد صحية متساوية الأهمية، يشدد المؤلف على أهمية الغذاء الصحي، ويحذر من السكر، ويذكر أنه مادة سامة، ويشدد على أهمية الحركة وأن الجلوس هو مرض العصر لأنه يسبب ترهلات وزيادة إفراز الدهون،و أنه يجب قطع الجلوس كل ساعة، وأن ممارسة الرياضة لا تنفع عندما تكون نسبة الجلوس عالية، وأن التخلص من الكسل أهم من ممارسة الرياضة، ثم يذكر أهمية النوم وأن الأصحاء والمتميزين تكون نسبة النوع عندهم عالية مقارنة مع غيرهم، العديد من النصائح في هذا الكتاب الرائع.
Diane
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a "must read" book if you care about getting healthy and staying that way. Rath's research is thorough and his style is straight forward. There is no hype, no gimmicks, no fads... just smart, true evidence about how to eat, move and sleep better. I read a NetGalley early release and can't wait to get my hands on a hard copy.
Wendy
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Just received book as a first read! Finished the book today and I must say it was very well written with a lot of good simple advice. Not diets, but reasonable ways to live life healthy and be much better off in every aspect. I plan to put some of the ideas in place in my life and it was good to read that I am doing some good things already.
eyes.2c
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Choices count!'

'Choices count. You can make decisions today that will give you more energy tomorrow.'
Opening words that zap straight into my guilt ridden consciousness.
I know this!
Can this manifest be the one to help?
I am older, seem to sleep less and my range of movement is somewhat curtailed.
All of which I know could be helped by weight loss.
Certainly the courage demonstrated by Tom helps to focus one's thoughts.
Small steps. That idea gabs my attention.
Of course I just had to sign up for the
Janine Brouillette
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Nice easy read on health and nutrition. A good book when you need to read in short snippets. A lot of good advice for your well-being and I definitely learned some new information. I am passing the book onto my husband, then daughter, who are also interested in diet and exercise.
Rhonda
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Eat Move Sleep has so many fantastic, simple ideas for improving health. I look forward to implementing many of these recommendations.
Moving while in a sedentary job is the most challenging but I welcome the tips given to move throughout the day.
Christina DeVane
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This author has a unique perspective as he was diagnosed with severe gene mutations as a 16 yr old. But I thoroughly enjoyed this basic, practical book on combining the 3 essentials of eating, moving, and sleeping for the best possible health for your life. Many great ideas I will integrate into my life and great motivation for anyone starting on their health journey!
Kazem Heidari
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
احتمال کمی دارد که نام بیماری "فون هیپل لیندو" را شنیده باشید. مگر اینکه در پزشکی تحصیل کرده باشید و به بیماریهای نادر علاقه مند باشید. این بیماری یک بیماری ژنتیکی ارثی است که منجر می شود فرد در معرض رشد سلولهای سرطانی در نقاط زیادی از بدن قرار بگیرد و مراقبت بسیار دقیقی را طلب می کند. و این همان اتفاقی است که برای نویسنده این کتاب، تام راث افتاده است. وی از کودکی متوجه این بیماری در خود شده است. و این موضوع او را وادار کرده به توجه به سبک زندگی. خوردن غداهای سالم، سبک زندگی فعال و خواب کافی و ب ...more
Megan Ross
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved Eat Move Sleep by Tom Rath. His purpose to write this book is to teach us how to teach us how to eat, move, and sleep for the better of our health. The theme of the book is about improving your mental and physical health in an era where machines do most of the work and everything is within arm's reach. The style of the book is exposition, I know that because the book brought about clarity on a topic, which for this book is improving your health.
I like that there are some tips health tips
Alison
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was not really a book for me. Rath covers the three main things that he considers to be the most important for your health - eating right, being active, and sleeping well and enough. As I am trying to kickstart my own activity level and eating habits a bit, I jumped at the chance to review this through NetGalley. However, I am clearly not the audience for this book - this is geared at someone who really has no idea how to get themselves into shape and feeling more healthy. While he does hav ...more
Emily
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Small choices change everything."

I will admit to feeling a bit skeptical that this book was about small lifestyle choices and changes, rather than a fad diet or the like. However, in the time since I started reading Eat Move Sleep, I have found myself making those changes, small steps at a time, and making them habits quite easily.

I can already say that this book has changed my life, and I believe it will continue to change my life.

I am eating and sleeping better, and moving more. No, I haven't
  • The Tell: The Little Clues That Reveal Big Truths about Who We Are
  • Rowing the Atlantic: Lessons Learned on the Open Ocean
  • Tilt: Shifting Your Strategy from Products to Customers
  • Whole Health: A Holistic Approach to Healing for the 21st Century
  • 60 Second Self-Starter: Sixty Solid Techniques to get motivated, get organized, and get going in the workplace.
  • Thinner This Year: A Younger Next Year Book
  • We Can Work It Out: Resolving Conflicts Peacefully and Powerfully
  • The Responsibility of Intellectuals
  • Eat Q: Unlock the Weight-Loss Power of Emotional Intelligence
  • Succeeding When You're Supposed to Fail: The 6 Enduring Principles of High Achievement
  • Part-Time Paleo: How to Go Paleo Without Going Crazy
  • ShiftPoints
  • Humanity
  • The Book of Afformations: Discovering the Missing Piece to Abundant Health, Wealth, Love, and Happiness
  • Still Procrastinating: The No-Regrets Guide to Getting It Done
  • Die Freiheit, frei zu sein
  • The Art of Negotiating the Best Deal
  • Craving: Why We Can't Seem to Get Enough
ARE YOU FULLY CHARGED?, the latest national bestseller by Tom Rath, was released in mid 2015. Tom's six NYT/WSJ bestsellers have sold more than 6 million copies and made over 300 appearances on the Wall Street Journal Bestseller list. Connect with Tom at:

- www.tomrath.org
- Twitter.com/TomCRath
- Facebook.com/AuthorTomRath
- Google.com/+TomRath
- Linkedin.com/in/trath/
“Every hour you spend on your rear end ... saps your energy and ruins your health.” 7 likes
“An Australian study of more than 12,000 adults estimated that every single hour spent watching television after the age of 25 decreased the viewer’s life expectancy by 22 minutes.” 2 likes