Start by marking “The Way of SEAL: Think Like an Elite Warrior to Succeed and Lead in Life” as Want to Read:
The Way of SEAL: Think Like an Elite Warrior to Succeed and Lead in Life

The Way of SEAL: Think Like an Elite Warrior to Succeed and Lead in Life

Want to be tough? Cool under fire? Able to sense danger before it’s too late? In The Way of the SEAL, ex-Navy SEAL Commander Mark Divine reveals exercises, meditations, and focusing techniques to train your mind for mental toughness, emotional resilience, and uncanny intuition. Along the way you’ll reaffirm your ultimate purpose, define your most important goals, and take ...more
Published December 26th 2013 by Reader's Digest (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Way of SEAL, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way of SEAL

Jon
May 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
The first warning sign that this book is going to suck is right in the title. You didn't miss it. It's what got 92% of men to read it. Include "The way of the SEAL" in any title and men will read it. Fighting like a SEAL? I'm in. Think like a SEAL. IN! Eat dinner like a SEAL? Hand me two big fucking forks, RIGHT. NOW. I'm a man. Make me think I can do anything like an elite warrior without having to spend my life training for it, and I'm happily in on the deception. But when you need to title th ...more
Jonathan
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it
First, I want to thank a dear friend for purchasing this book for me from Amazon Kindle. He is a leader and wishes to train and encourage others to be leaders. I am grateful that he sees in me the makings of a leader and was willing to invest in me. Thank you.

As a "leadership book" it is excellent. I found many of the techniques for focusing one's life mission and staying focused to be great. Many I am already doing. My only criticism is that it is a lot of stuff I do not do as a Christian----me
Dalton Harshfield
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yvonne
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Still reading this because it takes time. This is not a book to be read in one weekend or even one week. You need to take the time to carefully read each word and take notes and feel the reasoning as it seeps into your brain. The book is a study in how to get focused and create success, not a how-to 'be successful'... anyone can write a how-to be successful book. It takes craft and courage to write a book that demands action, the way this one does.
Ashley Barron
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent advice for restructuring perspectives that aren't working in your life. The title leads one to believe it might be more "warrior intensive"in style, but it actually a spiritual and thoughtful approach to better living.
Jess Kang
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I find it useful as it covers the training from physically to mentally to spiritually. I believe such rigorous training is the way to success.
Zach
Jan 19, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This just wasn’t my thing. No matter how long I read, I couldn’t get behind it.
Joe
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was quite a big surprise, expecting to learn about the mental toughness required to spend 6 days and nights (Hell Week) deprived of sleep, in the rain pushing your body to the limits, the book was more about meditation, stoicism, visualisation, higher consciousness, breathing, acceptance... it referered to Napoleon Hill, Earl Nightingale, Charlie Munger.

I was very surprised.

What I found less interesting was how the author applied these techniques to win in business as the examples were
Juan Castro
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
Different approach to basic principles like zen mind and powerful focused visualization plus be physically fit and flexible (let's call it functional). Good advices and go-do guide. It's kind of weird the way the authors always refers to his training camp (sealift boot camp) as if his trying to sell it all the time, but despite of that is a good book. Plus you get the "earn your trident everyday" motto and seal honor code warrior ethos. Good buy.
Jacob
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is full of very practical applications of leadership that incorporate physical, spiritual, emotional, and physical dimensions. For me, I really enjoyed learning about personal and organizational leadership using Navy Seals lingo and examples but I could see how for some that might be challenging.

All said and done I'm super impressed with Mark Divine. I think what he has managed to accomplish so far in his lifetime is outright amazing. I can't wait to read his other books.
Brent Phillips
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and plan to incorporate the techniques that Mark Divine explains, especially the techniques dealing with the mental side of things which I know is an area where I can improve. This is also a great read for anyone like myself who is fascinated with the Navy SEALs and their culture. Highly recommended!
John B.
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good read for professionals interested in leadership development. Divine touches on areas of a physical, emotional, institutional and spiritual nature. This isn't just a book for military personnel however, his applications can be used in any area of expertise. I highly recommend it.
Melissa Rozeski
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a new perspective for me and I have implemented the daily routines he outlines. It was just what I needed. The book can be a bit over-the-top with it's terminology and tone, but in general I think it mixes mindfulness and becoming truly physically fit well.
Perry Bhamornsiri
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bought this book after reading Jesse Itzler's book, Living with a Seal.
Perfect compliment to really understand how Navy SEALs think and train (to some extent).

The philosophy can be applied to both life and business.
Jessica
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
It's totally my own fault that I found this as an okay read. I realized I just wanted to learn more about the Seals and Seal training. This didn't provide much insight into that. I'll try again soon. Luckily got this one on a great sale.
Matthew Berkshire
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business-books
It has a lot of zen meditation techniques and positive visualization. The terms and thinking are best designed for short to mid-term projects, but it was a pretty helpful read.
Simon
Feb 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
I've listened to Mark Divine on a few podcast and always enjoyed listening to him, but this book sucked. I honestly don't know why I bothered finishing it, but I did.
Paul Ducard
Jan 06, 2014 rated it liked it
I found many parts of Commander Divine's book inspiring and/or thought provoking. I'll have to reread parts of the book in the normal course to keep me sharp.
Chris Chambers
Perfect book for anyone considering taking control of their mind and life.
Vance Ostlund
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book Review
If you have been wanting a book that can help you find your purpose and become a better leader you have come to the right place. This is a book called The Way of the Seal that was written by Mark Divine. It is a great book read by many from the low-end of the spectrum to the high-end in the business world and outside of it. This book talks about a variety of things ranging from finding your purpose and your morals and where you stand to finding your drive and how to become the best l
Tim
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-development
A few good principles, supported by average sub-points, and wrapped in a sales pitch for the author's other projects. Mainly a business book for people who have not read any other self-development / business books.

Principle 1 - Establish your set point - Decide what is important and be willing to make a stand for it
Principle 2 - Develop front-sight focus - Calm your mind, visualize your goal, clearly define the mission, and simply, simply, simplify
Principle 3 - Bullletproof your mission - Use th
Stephen Wisler
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
At first I wasn't really sure if I would be interested in this book. But when I got through the first principle I was hooked! The way the author teaches the reader how to be mentally tough and how to continue to work on that mental toughness is extraordinary. He has so many experiences he talks about where he struggles and learns from his mistakes. Mark Divine is trying to teach the reader these principles to help them through their struggles in life and find their "20x factor". To never give up ...more
Elena Ose
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military
By now I have become a complete Navy SEAL fan, one can say, I am almost biased to express an objective opinion. However, this fact doesn’t make it less true of the value this book brings.
Practical approaches through a set of principles is very well laid out, explained and backed up by legitimate examples.
There are few instances where I question certain statements, but i can honestly say this book gives the opportunity to everyone who welcomes the military way of living the daily life, without
Paul Skelding
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love everything Mark Divine has produced including his podcasts and interviews done on podcasts. This book was great for a civilian like me to understand how to accomplish so much more in my life. It will take the reader some deep diving and applying the actions into their own life's "missions". I read the book twice before deciding I was finished. The second read through I took detailed notes and then used a personal goal - running a Spartan Race to work through the actions and ideas in the b ...more
David Church
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
To be completely transparent, I bailed on this book. I have read numerous books by and about Navy SEALs so I have some idea of the principles I expected to get; instead, what greeted me was a series of lessons in Zen. I’m not saying this is bad, but it is not what I was looking for. Plenty of SEALs made it through training without using Zen principles and techniques. I’m sure many people have and will profit from this book, but it might be better titled “The Way of the Zen SEAL.” If you are look ...more
Ren Yi Tan
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it
The mystique and anonymity of the SEAL community have always been elusive. Being a member of the military service, I wanted to uncover their mysteries.

The greatest takeaways from this book were front-sight focus and impulse control. Two traits which I wished I understood better when I was in the military. I must admit, I picked up the book with the expectation of having greater insights into the SEAL training. However, Divine's central focus of the book was to share the mental preparations and
Stuart Brann
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Way of the Seal is a book that is written to help people gain skills that will be helpful in all aspects of life. It is a self-help book that is designed to help the reader acquire skills like meditation, visualization, and positive thinking. Overall the book is awesome. The book is not necessarily going to be a fun read. It takes a person who is motivated to try new things and want a change in life. The strength of this book is that it is saturated with good information and is laid out with ...more
Tolmantas Dagys
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a bit different than other success and leadership books. It's full of practical meditation exercises to clean mind from trash thoughts and keep positive attitude. Author encourages reader to embrace mental, emotional, intuitional and spiritual states. I haven't find that much practical tips in any other self-improvement books. Keep in mind this book is written by a professional warrior, whose decision making can cost his and his teammates life - that gives extra value for our decisi ...more
Alan Geygan
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is very tactical and a great way to add structure to getting things done. Building up routines and opportunities for reflection and an optimistic mindset.

It’s not overly inspiring but if you have the motivation to improve, it provides a lot of clear examples in how to implement productive changes in your mindset. The writing style is pretty dry. I would love to keep this book on a shelf as a reference, but it was a challenge to read from start to finish.
Randy Daugherty
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mark Divine, former seal and the founder of Sealfit, among other endeavors shows you the way to harness your thoughts. Health is physical, Mental, and Spiritual, Mark shows how to meld them all together, combining both Seal training and the martial arts with a little yoga thrown in.
He tells us how to apply the training, how to see which if any we need to work on, whee and how to start and where he made mistakes.
This was a great book on self discovery.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
CERRA Book Club: Principle 8, Afterword, and Appendices 10 6 Apr 20, 2018 10:42AM
CERRA Book Club: Twitter Chat February 12, 2018 at 7:00 PM 1 3 Feb 11, 2018 07:17PM
CERRA Book Club: Introductions 32 25 Jan 21, 2018 04:44AM
12 Books - Author...: The Way of The Seal - September 2014 12 38 Sep 25, 2014 12:55PM

• Leading with Questions: How Leaders Find the Right Solutions by Knowing What to Ask
  • Athena Rising: How and Why Men Should Mentor Women
  • Achievement Unlocked: Find, Focus and Fulfill Your Dreams
  • Suffer in Silence
  • Learning to Breathe Fire: The Rise of CrossFit and the Primal Future of Fitness
  • The Search
  • Getting to It: Accomplishing the Important, Handling the Urgent, and Removing the Unnecessary
  • The End Game: The Inside Story of the Struggle for Iraq, from George W. Bush to Barack Obama
  • Foundation: Redefine Your Core, Conquer Back Pain, and Move with Confidence
  • Raising Men: Lessons Navy SEALs Learned from Their Training and Taught to Their Sons
  • Curation: The Power of Selection in a World of Excess
  • Spartan Up!: A Take-No-Prisoners Guide to Overcoming Obstacles and Achieving Peak Performance in Life
  • When Your Adult Child Breaks Your Heart: Coping with Mental Illness, Substance Abuse, and the Problems That Tear Families Apart
  • Small Unit Leadership: A Commonsense Approach
  • Arguing for Our Lives: Critical Thinking in Crisis Times
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • Take Care of Yourself: The Complete Illustrated Guide to Medical Self-care
  • Mind Over Muscle: Writings from the Founder of Judo
“When you bring your full attention to each moment, a day is a complete lifetime of living and learning,” 6 likes
“It takes discipline to focus only on high-value targets instead of giving in to the temptation of the low-hanging fruit life serves up daily.” 5 likes