Start by marking “Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms, #1)” as Want to Read:
Falling Kingdoms  (Falling Kingdoms, #1)

Falling Kingdoms

(Falling Kingdoms #1)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  43,926 Ratings  ·  6,784 Reviews
Treacherous betrayals, secret alliances, unforeseen murders, and forbidden love—
The world of Mytica will hold you captive:

AURANOS - Privileged Princess Cleo is forced to confront violence for the first time in her life when a shocking murder sets her kingdom on a path to collapse.

LIMEROS - The king’s son, Magnus, must plan each footstep with shrewd, sharp guile if
Published March 11th 2014 by Razorbill (first published December 11th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Falling Kingdoms, please sign up.
Cassy One character entirely revolves around their romance and brooding with almost nothing else to the character. Another couple is set up from the start…moreOne character entirely revolves around their romance and brooding with almost nothing else to the character. Another couple is set up from the start very transparently and is referred to infrequently but at the end half of the book is suddenly a big thing. One minor character is explicitly mentioned as having a crush on a major character but that doesn't go anywhere. There are several mentions of arranged marriages. Finally there is in my opinion a transparent "oh you're so beautiful but you're my enemy so i must hate you" relationship.

I am a big fan of TOG and while i think this book is readable the plot is a bit simpler and the characters far less complex. This is perhaps more appropriate for an audience who finds it difficult to keep up with high fantasy but likes the fantasy genre and the element of royalty and neighbouring nations.(less)

Sasha Alsberg
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Falling Kingdoms crushed my heart but exceeded all my expectations. SO GOOD. If you love high fantasy, do yourself a favor and read this book.
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I can already tell that this is going to end up being one of my favorite series! Excellent cast of characters with a shocking and unexpected plot full of twists and turns. I can't wait to pick up the next book!
Lola
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this series begs for comparisons to Game of Thrones, I would be lying if I told you that they have nothing in common.

They do.

Both worlds are merciless, bloodthirsty, complex, magical and truly addictive to the reader.

Some might say that it lacks originality. I agree. How often in your life did you read about a princess wanting to escape a marriage, or a rebel who thought he could change the world, or a prince helplessly in love with the wrong girl, or magic lost but on the brink of being r
Katerina
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Perfect. I-read-it-in-one-sitting perfect.

Even in the darkest and most cruel person, there is still a kernel of good. And within the most perfect champion,there is darkness.The question is,will one give in to the dark or the light?

That is the most fascinating thing about Falling Kingdoms.The characters aren't pure good or pure evil (except Gaius,that hideous bastard),they make choices that lead them to one path or another,they fight hard their inner demons,they justify their actions based on
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
This book is being hailed as "A Game of Thrones for young adults." I have only read the first twenty pages of A Game of Thrones & I can already tell you that is like comparing a stick figure drawing to a professional painting.

Perhaps the barest framework of the two series can be compared, but anything more than that is a stretch.

Falling Kingdoms follows a handful of young main characters spread out across three neighboring territories. Nearly all of them are prominent political figures: pri
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Re reading series so I can finish up w/ the last book.

I have to mention first that I love the cover of this book! :)

I'm just going to go ahead and get this out of the way, there are some characters in the book that I really liked that were killed. I have a feeling I probably shouldn't like too many characters that have made it to the next book, or they might die as well!

The main characters are Cleo, Jonas, Lucia, and Magnus. They are all from different kingdoms. And they probably all could be
Kat Kennedy
I should have known there’d be trouble in paradise when I found out that Morgan Rhodes was a non de plume for Michelle Rowen, who wrote that terrible Dark Kiss novel that I couldn’t even finish.

I buddy read Falling Kingdom with ItsJaneLindsey who was my beloved BookBuddyAthon Buddy. And I think both of us suffered greatly as we read it together.

Falling Kingdoms is really Fantasy Lite with scarcely enough world building and concepts to skate by. If it asked me to witness it I’d be all like:

Becaus
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
I heard that Magnus Damora might or might not be my future husband. *lol*
Well, at least that's what reliable sources tell me. *raises eyebrow*

So yeah, I think 2018 is the perfect year to find out! ;-P

Let's see if I can get my fingers on him .... erm... this book real quick! XD
Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net
See this review and more like it on my blog: www.bookbastion.net
____________________________________

This was not good.

You know how sometimes the media latches onto trends - hint, they do this all the time - and suddenly when one specific type of story starts getting popular a whole bunch of knock offs with similar stories start appearing? I truly believe that this story would not have been published had Game of Thrones not become a smash hit the year before its initial publication. Or at the ver
Sana
I only love my bed and Magnus, I'm sorry.

My kink is being so thoroughly satisfied by a book I was so sure to hate. You guys don't even know the amount of hate/negative reviews I read for this book and then personally being told by many of my friends that I WAS GOING TO HATE THIS, BITCH HA. OKAY.

Anyways, Falling Kingdoms is such a cliched, tropey filled fantasy book with so much insta love, incest, a predictable storyline and a whole entire love-fucking-PENTAGON, BUT I STILL LIKED THIS SO MUCH,
Ferdy
Helen 2.0
Many people are raving about this series, but I couldn't get passionate about it. While reading Falling Kingdoms, I often got a gut feeling that something was off about the book but I had difficulty pinpointing the origin of that feeling. It was an instinctive reaction. I've mulled it over and will try to put the reason into words without sounding too harsh. I can't name specifics because it's been a few months since I finished this and I've been suppressing the memories.

There are two kinds of a
Emily May

After a beginning I wasn't too sure about, Falling Kingdoms surprisingly became an extremely enjoyable - if somewhat unoriginal - story. Rhodes' world was a fascinating and exciting place that I am eager to explore more of in the sequel, her characters were complex individuals often torn between political and moral duty, and the tensions between the lands of this world (Limeros, Paelsia and Auranos) were highly convincing. My final opinion of this novel is such a turnaround from my first impres
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kainat by: Erin Wolak
Shelves: love-hate
“Magic will find those with pure hearts,
even when all seems lost.”

Let me start by saying it's really hard for me to review books i love, there is so much i want to say.
I know a lot people dislike these books so i decided to read a few bad reviews before i started this. Turned out most people had similar issues; too many characters, confusing plot line, too many POVs.
I read first few chapters like a textbook, paid attention to every little detail, tried to remember their names, and who belong
Rachel E. Carter
Sep 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: br
description

Do you like Game of Thrones and wish for a YA-version? Well, my friends, look no further:

• Unexpected killings of significant characters?
• Multiple POV’s (including possible villains) taking place in different kingdoms with royalty, assassins, and other worldly creatures/shifters
• Heavy world-building
• Feuding kingdoms
• Even a brother-sister romance though that is a bit less Cersei-Jamie, a bit more Clary-Jace if you know what I mean=)

Is this book perfect? Well, honestly, I wasn’t a huge fan of
Lindsay Cummings
Perfect book for reading in Scotland by the fire :)
Sandra

RE-READ: SEP 2015
Note - old review below but my thoughts have not changed....still loved it!

****************************************************

After seeing quite a few negative things about Falling Kingdoms on goodreads i was hesitant to buy it. But eventually i did, because, like, what the hell? Just cause some people disliked it doesn't mean that i will too! And i am so glad i did.

Why?

Because it was
Anne

I had no idea this book even existed until my librarian gently pointed me toward this series. And by gently, I mean she flapped in front of my face, and told me it was a great series. And by flapped it in front of my face, I mean she threatened to revoke my (PRECIOUS!) card unless I read it.
She's shady.

description

So I check it out, and the next thing you know I'm all involved in a prince with incestuous thoughts, a princess being forced to marry a drunk, a young man from a poor village who dreams
Whitney Atkinson
Yay, now i'm only 18 books behind on my goodreads challenge, not 19.... :)

This book fell exactly where I expected it to, so 3 stars isn't a horrible rating! The main thing I loved about this is that it's different from any YA fantasy that i've ever read. The plot itself isn't really anything too special, but the scope of it all (following several characters/kingdoms instead of one main one) and the risks that the author is willing to take with characters (MANY deaths) kept me on my toes. The mai
l a i n e y
This was one of those books that didn't seem to want to go forward. It dragged especially the first half and then dragged some more.

There was potential, sure but all shattered when it was clear that everything and i mean EVERYTHING needs to be discussed to death. I only wish it was literally to their deaths so I didn't have to continue with them anymore.

Really. So fucking tedious.

Give me the story.
Do something.
Anything!

Cleo, you wanna go (view spoiler) Go then.
chandler ainsley ❁
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, ya-fantasy
first of all:

description

cause this shit was GOOOOOOOOD.

i think if you've been awake for more than a couple of days, and been on this site for more than a few seconds you've probably seen the mixed reviews for this book. divisive, divisive, she is.

i can totally understand why people don't like this book. it's not exactly ground breaking in terms of unique characterizations or world building. and the use of language is... odd. i mean it's set in like a pseudo-medieval fantasy world but we're using words lik
Andreea Pop

I am truly sorry, I am. I wanted this book to be spectacular, to amaze me with its epicness. I was ready to love it heart and soul! Alas, sadly -- and very much obviously thanks to those two ugly stars -- that did not happen. I'm going to rant now, so please excuse my shouty capitals whenever they appear.

You see, my average rating is somewhere around 4.4/5 and seeing that I've read almost 500 titles that means I pretty much drop them 4 and 5 star ratings like they're hot. It doesn't bother me,
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
2 Stars

Overview:

description

This series is often hailed the ‘Game of Thrones for YA' and because I haven’t read/watched GOT, I can’t comment on the comparison.

I can tell you the similarities. They're both fantasy series involving a large cast of characters, murder, magic, and backstabbing. Also incest! Here, however, the overarching story focuses on the intersecting lives of Cleo, Jonas, and Magnus as war blossoms between their nations.

Pros:

There were several deaths I didn’t expect! Most didn't feel s
♥Christina
4 Princess. Rebel. Sorceress. Hire. ★'s

“You must continue to believe with all your heart. Sometimes belief is all it takes to make something real.”

'Falling Kingdoms' was so good! I was hooked from the first page and I finished it in one sitting. I couldn't put this book down, it drew me right in and it was also a fast passed read. I enjoyed the plot, the writing style was captivating, the world was enchanting and well thought out. As were the characters, the character building was done nicely a
Tweebs♥️ (semi-hiatus)
Ouuu, I liked this book....despite a few things.

RTC...When I'm not:

1) Lazy as fuck
2) SCHOOL
3) SCHOOL
4) LIFE
5) Yup, lazy as fuck again ;P

Anyway, gimme the next book pls!

**************************

I went to the library to ACTUALLY study and do my school work. Okay, I'm trying make it to places GUYS !! *cough* I should've thought about becoming a Doctor like holyyyyyyyy shit. The work load ISN'T A JOKEEEE.

Please tell me how I walk inside and the first thing I see is a big ass book sale. Eve
Cait • A Page with a View
"Basically Game of Thrones for a younger audience" was my first reaction, but let me go back now and revise that to "Game of Thrones but better."

This first book is average, but by the 4th book this series is just straight up awesome. I love all of the characters (even the incompetent ones) and the plot never, ever gets dull. In Game of Thrones I'm usually either skimming or else like

Yusra  ✨
*unmarked spoilers ahead, read at your own risk. in fact don’t read it at all because it’s actually funny how much of a mess it is. also swearing. which I don’t tend to do in reviews. xx your favourite reviewer* ( I’m being sarcastic I suck ass)

buddy read with Jessica, fellow Theon lover and her review is better so check it out. 🍦
(Also she gave it 5 stars. This book is pretty amazing.)

Oh god. I did not expect this to become a 5 star read for me, but it really did. I got so emotionally invest
Rusty's Ghost Engine (also known as.......... Jinky Spring)
Blog review @Scaredy Engines End of Line Library

There is a lot of drama and plot twists in this book. A lot. Which is what made it so enjoyable for me! :D

First of all the characters and world were so richly developed I could not guess what was around the next corner. Like I've said in other reviews one of the most enjoyable aspects of a high fantasy novel is the world building and Myticas history was full of intrigue not to mention how I loved the stories from the past catching up and intertwin
sreeja (hiatus)
Falling Kingdoms: 4.5 stars
"Magic will find those with pure hearts, even when all seems lost.”
This has become an instant new YA fantasy favourite!
Why you need to pick it up now:
• detailed characters with flaws (that you learn to accept) and vulnerabilities
• twists and turns in every corner
• lies, betrayal and shocking plot twists
• unexpected love
• that world-building
• the fact that violence isn't sugar-coated
• magical element that is pulled off amazingly
• truly complex villains who are quite sc
April (Aprilius Maximus)
I couldn't bring myself to give this higher than 3 stars because it's just not as good as some of my favourite fantasies, but it was still really good! The instalove was super cringeworthy and the writing was very simple and I dunno it's just not the best thing I've ever read.
A Book Nirvana: The Falling Kingdoms Series 12 23 Sep 20, 2018 04:23PM
Forgotten YA Gems: * Falling Kingdoms: General Discussion 7 40 May 11, 2018 08:17PM
Buddy Reads: Falling Kingdoms-Let's Begin!! 5 24 May 01, 2018 12:11AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms #1) by Morgan Rhodes - Restarting April 1st 2018 160 254 Apr 26, 2018 11:31AM
Theon. SPOILER ALERT!! 22 412 Mar 03, 2018 01:44PM
  • The Cadet of Tildor
  • Vessel
  • The Assassin's Curse (The Assassin's Curse, #1)
  • Venom (Secrets of the Eternal Rose, #1)
  • Soulbound (Legacy of Tril, #1)
  • Elemental (Elemental, #1)
  • Mystic City (Mystic City, #1)
  • Stormdancer (The Lotus Wars, #1)
  • Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
  • The Gray Wolf Throne (Seven Realms, #3)
  • Ironskin (Ironskin, #1)
  • City of a Thousand Dolls (Bhinian Empire, #1)
  • Luminosity (The Raven Chronicles, #1)
  • The Oathbreaker's Shadow (The Knots Sequence, #1)
  • Death Sworn (Death Sworn, #1)
  • Greta and the Goblin King (Mylena Chronicles, #1)
  • Prophecy (The Dragon King Chronicles, #1)
  • Sea of Shadows (Age of Legends, #1)
Morgan Rhodes lives in Ontario, Canada. As a child, she always wanted to be a princess -- the kind that knows how to wield a sharp sword to help save both kingdoms and princes from fire-breathing dragons and dark wizards. Instead, she became a writer, which is just as good and much less dangerous. Along with writing, Morgan enjoys photography, travel, reality TV, and is an extremely picky, yet vor ...more

Falling Kingdoms (6 books)
  • Rebel Spring (Falling Kingdoms, #2)
  • Gathering Darkness (Falling Kingdoms, #3)
  • Frozen Tides (Falling Kingdoms, #4)
  • Crystal Storm (Falling Kingdoms, #5)
  • Immortal Reign (Falling Kingdoms, #6)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Player of Games (Culture, #2)
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
“Even paradise could become a prison if one had enough time to take notice of the walls.” 479 likes
“Even in the darkest and most cruel person, there is still a kernel of good. And within the most perfect champion, there is darkness. The question is, will one give in to the dark or the light? It's something we decide with every choice we make, every day that we exist. What might not be evil to you could be evil to someone else. Knowing this makes us powerful even without magic.” 334 likes