Start by marking “Everything Breaks” as Want to Read:
Everything Breaks

Everything Breaks

Tucker was supposed to be the designated driver. But there was something about the beauty of thatlast true summer night,that made him want to feel out-of-control just once.He drank so much and so quickly that he was instantly sick. That left Trey to drive. "I'll catch up to you later," were the last words Tucker would ever say to his friends as he heaved by the side of the ...more
Published October 3rd 2013 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

Start your review of Everything Breaks
Sherry
I did not enjoy Everything Breaks, by Vicki Grove. In truth, I could tell the book wasn't for me from the moment I cracked the cover, but I wanted to give it a chance. It was stubbornness that kept me reading, a desire to understand how a book that seemed so unfocused and random would be published. Yes, in the end Grove pulls together a point, but it wasn't particularly interesting to me. The book read more like an over extended short story, delivered almost emotionlessly and very ...more
Katelyn Lester
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Honestly, I didn't know it at the time I bought it, but it was a book I needed to read. If you didn't know, this book is about a boy named Tucker and him coping with the loss of his three best friends and all the feelings that come with it. (please read the summary of the book because I suck at explaining things)

The reason I say I needed this book was because I recently lost one of my best friends in a car accident. It's a complete shock when you are talking to someone one day and they are gone
Renee Booth (Sassy Book Lovers)
I am finding myself really conflicted with how to review this book. For the majority of the book I found myself quite confused with no idea of which direction the book was suppose to be going in. So we have Tucker, a kind of quiet teen with what comes across as having what I would describe as a 'follower' type personality. Loyal, trustworthy and an all round great friend. We follow Tucker and his friends at the start of the book living their every day lives doing every day things until things go ...more
Kelly
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really liked Vicki's new book. She has put some of her personal experiences in this one that I can recognize from her talks at school. She intertwines realistic teen fiction with the mythology of ancient Greece. It really works together I think. I read an uncorrected Galley copy so will have to wait till it comes out in October and read it again. Loved her main character Tucker and his step grandfather Bud.
Michael Grove
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A complex study in emotions and letting go, set in the rural Midwest. There are moments of real suspense as we go deeply into the psychology of this young man struggling to make sense of a terrible accident. The mythological characters can be scary and the story is dark, but the lessons are thought provoking and have stuck with me.
Gabrielle
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A deeply moving tale of life and death, morality and innocence, love and letting go. And there's a three headed dog.
Amanda
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
The premise of the story had so much promise, but I felt like it wasn't fulfilled. I enjoyed reading this and thought the author had great ideas, but I wanted more. I found the main character to be annoying at times and although I thought the ending was cute and satisfying, I don't see myself recommending it over other books.
Kandice
May 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Ugh. I was so excited to read this, it sounded so promising. As the pages progressed I realized there was really nothing to it. I was undeniably bored and I kept pushing through because I thought it was bound to pick up and a storyline was bound to emerge. *Donald Trump-"WRONG!" *
Man I still feel disappointed about this, what a flop.
Move on friends, it not worth the energy to turn the pages.
Trevor Cox
May 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book was alright. I was pretty much confused during the whole book as to what was happening. The author left out lots of details that could have been useful to understanding what was happening. I would not recommend this book to just anybody, you need to have patience because the exciting part doesn't come until the end of the book.
Katelyn
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book shortly after a close friend of mine passed away in a car accident, it was a book I never knew I needed to read with a message I never knew I needed to hear. I absolutely loved this book and now it will forever hold a special place in my heart.
Elizabeth
Oct 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
I thought this book was hard to understand, i think it was hard to understand because the point of view was from a guy and all the other books I have read were from the point of view of girls. Over all I did not like this book.
Samuel Kay
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book that I read from Vicki Grove, I love it, Great read.
Jake Kropik
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
1.5/5 Stars.

I really didn't enjoy this book. There was nothing wrong with it, I was just bored. There were a couple of factors I enjoyed, hence the 2 stars over 1, but they were limited.
Melissa (i swim for oceans)
View the full review here:

Tucker plays by the rules. He doesn't really even toe the line, but that one night, he decided to just let it all go - all the stress, all the pain - all of it. In an instant though, his actions (or inability to act) lead to events that nobody could have seen coming, but nevertheless leave him with an unimaginable sense of guilt. As he begins to spiral into a downward hole of depression and anxiety though, he finds that there is
Sally Kruger
Author Vicki Grove impressed me years ago with REACHING DUSTIN so I was thrilled to see this book at the bookstore a few weeks ago. More of a young adult offering, I predict it will be popular with both teen guys and girls. A creative combination of reality and touches of mythology-related fantasy, EVERYTHING BREAKS speaks of friendship and loss in a unique way that tries to make sense of needless tragedy.

Tucker, Trey, Zero, and Steve are inseparable. Tucker and Trey have been friends since age
Kirsten
In Everything Breaks, Vicki Grove wanted us to think about death, guilt and the end, whether that be death of yourself or your life after the deaths of your loved ones. All of these themes were brought up when Tucker, a quiet teenager, lost all three of his only friends because he couldn't drive. After their deaths, he blamed himself because he decided to drink, even though he was the designated driver. The author wanted us to experience Tucker's complete loss and state of hopelessness. Grove ...more
Mary
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Don't pay the ferryman,/
Don't even fix a price./
Don't pay the ferryman/
Till he gets you to the other side.

That song was going through my head as I read this book. So was an alternate title: "A Coin for the Ferryman." But I've got to admit, the title Grove came up with suits her plainspoken young MC better.

I love Vicki Grove! And I loved Tucker, the main character in this touching and imaginative novel. Tucker is 17; it's the fall of his junior year in small-town Oklahoma, and he and his friends
Cristina
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just want to say that this book was an interesting experience for me. 'Interesting' is most likely not the most accurate word.
Tucker has just lost his best friends, in an car accident that he was very nearly in. He feels so much guilt over surviving, and for having let his friends ride to their deaths.
The thing is, Tucker must realize that he wants to live, even it it means without his friends. For me, it was just amazing and heartbreaking when he realizes his desire to stay alive. I can
Betsy
Jul 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
First, the cover is false! The dog seen in the book is 3 headed. Do the cover artists read the books??

Second, the idea behind this is very interesting (guy loses three friends in drunk driving accident and then struggles to come to grips with his own survival and whether he played a role in their death/could have prevented it). Ultimately, the book is very life-affirming, and that's a plus.

BUT.... (third) the text is a bit choppy in parts and sometimes it's enough to jerk the reader out of the
Eden
Innocent Wonder, that's what his friends call him. But one summer night, Tucker decides to not be so innocent. Although he was supposed to be the designated driver, he drinks too much and gets sick.

Trey took the wheel as Tucker was by the side of the road, feeling not so well. He told his friends he'd see them down the road and it was the last time he saw them alive.

This book had a lot of interesting ideas, but it was often confusing and not until the last few chapters I saw where the story was
Lisa Nocita
Tucker is left reeling after a tragic but preventable accident claims the life of his three best friends. The guilt and responsibility he feels weighs on him heavily and he isn't sure get wants to go on living in a world where everything breaks. At this point in the story magical realism takes over to lead Tucker down the path where he will have to choose between life and death and come to peace with the decision.

Homage to Greek mythology, Charon, Cereberus, and the river Acheron. Just
Mrs. Hassig
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Vicki Grove has got it going! This was a truly amazing read. By no means was it an easy read, but once started I couldn't put it down. Mr. Bollinger, an ELA teacher in my building, loaned it to me. At first, I wanted to smack him for giving it to me! But he assured me it would all come around in the end. Sort of. Tucker is the DD for his buddies but the one time he actually tries a drink will cause a chain of events that will kill his friends and push him to the edge of sanity. A fantastic book!
Jenny
Jun 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-2015
Parts of this book were really good, but parts of it were quite confusing. There were several references to Missouri and the Kansas City area which made it interesting. The premise of the story was great, however I found the author went off on tangents and added content to the book that was unnecessary and confusing. It could have been much better. Not one I would recommend.
Abby Bond
Oct 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
The point of view was form boy, I'm used to reading a girl. It made it hard to understand what was going on in the book.
Devera Chandler
love the mythology brought into a modern day situation!
Casey
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Curse (Wicked, #2)
  • Witch (Wicked, #1)
  • What You Hide
  • Spellbound (Wicked, #4)
  • Legacy (Wicked, #3)
  • Moonlight Secrets (Fear Street Nights, #1)
  • Darkest Dawn (Fear Street Nights, #3)
  • Midnight Games (Fear Street Nights, #2)
  • The Perfect Date (Fear Street, #37)
  • Blank
  • Another Little Piece
  • Jonas (Beautiful Dead, #1)
  • Arizona (Beautiful Dead, #2)
  • Summer (Beautiful Dead, #3)
  • Phoenix (Beautiful Dead, #4)
  • Like Nothing Amazing Ever Happened
  • The Power of Two (T*Witches, #1)
  • Things I'm Seeing Without You
Vicki Grove lives in a 100-year-old farmhouse on a few acres of land outside of Ionia, Missouri (pop. 118). Her son and daughter, Michael and J.D., attend college, and her husband Mike is a music teacher and directs a bell choir. They have lots of cats and a goldfish pond teeming with bossy, headstrong goldfish. Sharing the pond with that rambunctious crew is one gentle red-eared turtle, Yertle. ...more
“There was a lot more that I wanted to tell her, like that everything in this beautiful treasure house of a world breaks, and sometimes things break so bad all you can do is hope to get your heart to stop bleeding long enough for you to sift through the ashes so you can try to gain some slight understanding. But some things that break real bad can be mended if you're lucky enough to have someone on your side with a ton of glue who won't give up."--Vicki Grove, Everything Breaks” 4 likes