Start by marking “Unthinkable (Impossible, #3)” as Want to Read:
Unthinkable (Impossible, #3)

Unthinkable (Impossible #3)

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  766 Ratings  ·  157 Reviews
This much anticipated sequel to the New York Times Bestseller Impossible a fantasy full of suspense, mystery, and romance will appeal to fans of Beautiful Creatures, Raven Boys, and Wicked Lovely.

Fenella was the first Scarborough girl to be cursed, hundreds of years ago, and she has been trapped in the faerie realm ever since, forced to watch generations of daughters try t
Published September 12th 2013 by Dial Books

Librobaby
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
IMPOSSIBLE has a sequel????

And look at the cover.

And it's about Fenella!!!!The girl that started it all!!!!The girl that was supposed to be free at last, but is still trapped in the faerie realm.

HOW IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it's coming out in SEPTEMBER!!!!

SEPTEMBER FEELS LIKE A CENTURY!!!!

Please let it be SEPTEMBER!!!!!!!!!!PLEASE!!PLEASE!!PLEASE!!!

UPDATE:September 15,2013

I have the book!!!!!It's beautiful!!!!!!!

I'm gonna lock myself in my room all day!!!!

Jen Blair
May 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'm giving this book a low score. Not because it is badly written, but because it was so hard to read a book where the main task is to destroy everything. In Impossible, we fell in love with that family and their love and strength as they worked together to break the curse. Why would I want to read a book that tears that all apart? Short answer: I don't.
Josiphine/Tessa
I didn't love Impossible. I read because I love Scarborough Fair and I thought it would be awesome (it wasn't). And I read this one because I hoped it would be better (and also because I won it).

This book was almost amazing. I loved Fenella. She was so single-minded (a lot like me) and willing to do almost anything to get what she wants. I also loved Ryland, mostly for his snarky cat comments.

I did have a problem with it. A really big problem.

It was the romance. Why do authors so consistently
Alissa Tsaparikos
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Unthinkable is the companion to Nancy Werlin's Impossible, and the third novel she has written that revolved around the fairy intrigues she started in the first one. I'd like to first off say that I was a huge fan of Impossible. It has been a long time since I read it, enough to where I'm actually slightly hazy on what exactly about it was so amazing, I just remember being entranced. When I found out there was a sequel I was very excited t read it, but I'm sad to say that I was very disappointed ...more
Lee Anne
Aug 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Warning: Spoilers for Impossible

Hmm. .. not sure what to say about this one. (Besides, high school friends: don't read it--not appropriate, imo.) Torn between 2 and 3 stars. Gave it 3 because I did stay up until 2 am to finish it.

Basically, take everything you love about Impossible and destroy it.

Fenella, the first Scarborough girl,has been kept alive by another spell cast by Padraig and has been forced to watch her descendents suffer and fail to break the curse for 400 years. When Lucy breaks
Bayla
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: paranormal
Buzzwords: Curses, Fairies, Grief, Family, Destruction, Healing, Trees, Romance, Hope

I did not like this one as much as Impossible, mostly because I did not like Fenella and her choices as much. Lucy had no choice but to fight the curse, and she had to create to do that - Fenella chose to destroy, selfishly, and chose the worst way to do it. Particularly since she could have just walked away. I couldn't really get over that choice, the rejection of the offer to be free and not hurt anyone, espec
♠️ Tabi = 타비 ♠️
Oct 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
Gah. I'm just gonna say that I hated this book. Seeing the old characters brought back from Impossible was nice, but Fenalla was just plain annoying. I could understand why she did all this and all that, but I still hated her. And her whole thing with Walker, puhleeeaase, that just made me "fast-forward" several pages. I don't need to read stuff like that, and I thought he was being really dumb too.
The only thing I liked about this book was Ryland being stuck as a cat. That was fricking hilariou
WJ
Jun 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
After having recently read Impossible Impossible, I decided that I might as well read Unthinkable since I happened to spot a copy of it in my local library. And man did I regret starting on this book because there's really nothing here that makes this book likeable at all. Somehow I managed to finish the book but I seriously regretted the hours that I spent on it.

Unthinkable is a sort of prequel, sort of sequel to where we left off from Impossible Impossible, in that we get to meet the Scarborou
Mrs. Kenyon
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-audiobooks
Four hundred years ago, Fenella was to become the first Scarborough girl to be cursed and trapped in Faerie. For generations, her female decedents tried to break the same curse and now that Lucy has done the impossible and broken the curse, Fenella wants to know why she is still stuck in Faerie. She makes a new deal with the faerie queen. If she can complete three acts of destruction, then she will finally be free and be able to die. Unfortunately, after she agrees to the new deal she learns tha ...more
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Okay so when I found out there was a sequel I was a little worried because Impossible was perfect but it did leave me with some questions. So I go on a mini vacation and come back to Unthinkable in my mail box and I start jumping for joy because no more school and no more reading for classes so I would be able to enjoy it straight away. I had to read another book first and that was okay because that book was epic and then when I finished that book I started on Unthinkable and man oh man can I sa ...more
Jamie
Jun 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
An ARC was provided in exchange for an honest review. This did not influence my thoughts in any way.
This book is the sequel to Impossible, which I LOVED. It was about Lucy, a Scarborough girl who was cursed to perform three impossible tasks or become mad and pass the curse on to the next generation. The curse started because her ancestor refused to love Padrig, an elfin knight. That ancestor was Fenella and Unthinkable is her story.
I thought that this book was well written and I was glad to se
Pamela Hubbard
I was anxiously awaiting this sequel to "Impossible" because "Impossible" captured my imagination and drew me in more than I expected it would! In the sequel, the story follows Fenella, Lucy's great-great-great (etc.) grandmother - the first Scarborough girl and the one on whom the original curse fell on. Because Lucy broke the curse in "Impossible", Fenella is no longer enslaved to Padraig. Unfortunately, Fenella was also cursed with a long life. She is currently 400 years old and will live for ...more
Cristina
Jun 25, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc-wishlist
5 incredibly long years ago, I picked up Impossible by Nancy Werlin and fell under it's intoxicating spell. The wait for Unthinkable was torturously long, and I had all but given up hope of ever getting more of the story. Thankfully just when I'd given up, Unthinkable popped up on the YA scene. I thought I was going to explode with giddiness!

The Scarsbourough Fair elements and song tie ins had me so hooked and completely invested in Impossible and this series. To be honest, Unthinkable is quite
Myndi
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
This wasn't my favorite of the series, but I did like seeing how books 1 and 2 actually fit together. I thought they were totally unrelated, but this book shows how they actually weren't.

I prefer the original story with Lucy, simply because it's about hope and creating and not destruction. I see what the author was going for, but I also wish it could have been different. I did, however, really enjoy the way things worked out in the end, so if it were possible, I'd give it 3.5 stars.

I think fans
Cornmaven
Jan 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: high-school
Didn't like it nearly as much as Impossible. While Impossible's theme was about the power of love to overcome evil, this one used intentional destruction to teach someone a lesson about love and sacrifice. Took her long enough to learn it, and I didn't like that the most loving people in the world were hurt by it. Just didn't sit right with me.

I would have much rather had Fenella either sacrifice herself early on, once she figured out the import of the challenge, or have her family help her thin
Alex  (mybookishworld)
May 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Younger Kids
It was good, but a little slow.
Tamara
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Lucy, the main character if Impossible, was likable. I despised Fenella, the first Scarborough girl and the main character of this book. She was selfish and stupid.

After four hundred years among the fairies, she should have known that the offer made by the faerie queen (complete three tasks so she can finally be free to die) would have included twists and tricks. And then to choose to go forward with those three acts of destruction when she learned they must be aimed at her family? Everything sh
Heidi-Marie
I was intrigued that this book was not only a sequel to "Impossible," but it's also a prequel (which was the part I loved best) as well as a companion/sequel-ish to "Extraordinary." I had so many issues with "Extraordinary," so I was surprised and pleased to find myself so taken by Ryland's part of the story. (Very pleased with that outcome, though the last little bits of it coming together seemed a bit rushed and tumbled.)

The hardest part I had with this book is I didn't really like Fenella. Sh
L. Petunia
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I got this as an ARC for review. I hadn't read any of Werlin's other books, including the book this is a sequel to (or the side book in the same universe this references), but I thought I would jump in anyway.

What a pleasant surprise! I really loved this book. Looking over reviews for her other books, I see they're pretty divisive. I don't know what it was that clicked with me as a reader, but this was definitely up my alley and there's no question I'll go back and read the others in this series
Tina Jameson
Oct 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Nancy Werlin has cleverly managed to interweave both a prequel and a sequel together in one story, which will delight fans of the original ‘Scarborough Girls’ story – ‘Impossible’. In ‘Impossible’, the heroine, Lucy, has to break a family curse which dooms all the girls born to the family to be taken away to live under the captivity of the manipulative fey – Padraig. She has to achieve this by completing three apparently impossible tasks.

In this story, the plot focuses on Fenella, the girl who
Nathan Siegel
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Fennella Sarborough's sad tale was weaved into Werlin's novel IMPOSSIBLE, and her story ended with death and madness. But somehow, in the Farie world, Fenella has survived, and has been living for hundreds of years. And now she wants to die. As an immortal, she is under the hold of the man who kidnapped her and tried to make her love him hundreds of years ago, Padraig. The Farie queen informs her that to die, she must first wreak three tasks of destruction in the human world. Along with the quee ...more
Sacha
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was better than the first if I do say so myself. I think it is interesting the way that this book weaved together the elements of a prequel and a sequel. Fenella is a very unique character and at times I thought she was mad. Especially towards the end. Plus, the tasks that she had to complete were literally "unthinkable" to me. Werlin is a good author and this series was a success in my book.
Cindy Dobrez
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
I'm a little impartial here. I won a YALSA fund raiser auction to have my name used in one of Nancy Werlin's books and so my last name shows up in the hunky love interest character, Walker Dobrez, who is a vet in training and drives a red pickup truck. But, that aside, fans of Impossible (and there are many)will enjoy this companion novel. And the cat...I love the cat.
Full review at Bookends Blog: http://bookends.booklistonline.com/20...
Alissa
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, teen-books
My overall reaction to this is, "meh". I didn't enjoy it as much as Impossible. Fenella is a very hard character to like (ok, I hated her and thought she was an awful person), and her motivations didn't justify the terrible things she did. As for the other characters...they just seemed flat to me. The best thing about this book is its pretty cover. Beyond that, I wouldn't recommend it.
Stephanie
Didn't hold my attention the way Impossible did. I was disappointed in Fenella. Even though she's 400 years old and has seen many, many Scarborough girls come and go, she didn't learn anything? It was hard to swallow.
Ruby Bailey
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
loved this book
Alicia
Dec 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
I'm going to pretend like Impossible doesn't have a sequel.
Shana
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great story and excellent follow-up to impossible. Werlin is a wonderful writer, and her heroine in this is far more complex. You don't always agree with her, but can always empathize.
Christie
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not as good as the first book with some questionable content.
Regina
Oct 18, 2013 added it
Shelves: gave-up
i probably should have read book one first but my attention didnt hold after she went to the human realm. I got bored. Maybe someday ill pick up this book and the previous....
  • The Book of Love (The Secret Sisterhood of Heartbreakers, #2)
  • Shadows
  • The Dark Shore (The Atlanteans, #2)
  • The Fiercest Joy (The Sweetest Dark #3)
  • Armored (The Té-trad Tale, #1)
  • Trust Me, I'm a Ninja (Relax, I'm a Ninja, #2)
  • Running Lean
  • Creature of the Night (Urban Vampire, #2)
  • Suck It Up and Die (Suck It Up, #2)
  • Obsidian Mirror (Chronoptika, #1)
  • Brotherhood
  • Hereafter (Shadowlands, #2)
  • Hideous Love: The Story of the Girl Who Wrote Frankenstein
  • Secret Lies
  • The Tinker King (The Unnaturalists, #2)
  • Glass Frost (Frost, #2)
  • Thrice Told Tales: Three Mice Full of Writing Advice
  • Mortal Fire
Nancy Werlin writes young adult fiction: New York Times–bestselling fantasy, Edgar-award winning suspense, and National Book Award-honored realistic novels.

Nancy's newest book is the suspense thriller AND THEN THERE WERE FOUR.
More about Nancy Werlin

Impossible (3 books)
  • Impossible (Impossible, #1)
  • Extraordinary (Impossible #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • When Gravity Fails (The Budayeen Cycle, 1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99