Start by marking “Alice in Tumblr-land” as Want to Read:
Alice in Tumblr-land

Alice in Tumblr-land

Disney meets Lena Dunham in this illustrated humor book featuring your favorite fairy-tale characters dating and finding their way in 21st-century America

The Ugly Duckling still feels gross compared to everyone else, but now she’s got Instagram, and there’s this one filter that makes her look awesome. Cinderella swaps her glass slippers for Crocs. The Tortoise and the Hare
Published November 5th 2013 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about Alice in Tumblr-land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alice in Tumblr-land

Rose
Initial reaction:  This book had the potential to be a pretty awesome read, at least in premise. Told in a series of short, toggled stories with popular fairy tales and Disney-esque references paired with illustrations, "Alice in Tumblr-land" explores what might happen in the lives of such characters if they had social media in their lives, with a slant towards adult crude humor.

Only I barely found anything funny in this collective read, if at all. Maybe if you find Beauty and the Beast sexting
Ghost of the Library
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Whats fun/funny for me, may not be for you - thats the first thing to keep in mind when watching a movie claiming to be a comedy, a tv show or reading a book of fairy tales mischievously adapted to the 21rst century and our social media obsessed culture :)
That being said, this was a personally very funny break from the more serious reading i usually do, and it wasnt finished faster because i decided to make it last as much as possible!
What you have here are some of fairy tales most popular hero
ɯɐɔ
Jul 18, 2013 marked it as to-read
Is this out yet? It sounds fucking hilarious.
Vivek Tejuja
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
October couldn’t have started on a better note. To read a book at the start of a month, which you really enjoy is a magical experience in itself. Perhaps then, nothing else is needed. It happened to me yet again, as I finished reading, “Alice in Tumblr-Land and other Fairy Tales for a New Generation” by Tim Manley.

In this book, the fairy tales and their characters are written for the modern world. Sleeping Beauty does not want a baby. The Ugly Duckling is still worried about the way she looks, b
Helena Miller
How can you not love this book?!? The illustrations are great, the stories either make you laugh, cringe (in a hilarious way), become thoughtful or even a little sad...what more could you ask for? Seriously, this book uses images and text in a way that is very unique, very effective and just makes me want Tim Manley to write another book! I recommend this without hesitation (but keep it for the older crowd, please: these fairytales are for a more mature audience :) ).
Tove
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Buying this book was the best impulse buy I've ever made. As soon as I saw the cover and the title I was like "You are coming home with me book". I mean, how can someone who likes Alice in Wonderland and is obsessed with Tumblr NOT buy this book?!

Okay so, the review:
I LOVED it! It was hilarious and quirky and exactly my type of humor! Definitly the best humor/parody book I've read in a long time (although I don't really read a lot of humor books, but oh whale). The concept was just hilarious an
Kathy Kiernan
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
On the style:
Short passages reflect the brevity of our social media generation's textual conversations. We have become fast-paced digital creatures. Speedy processors of information. Tim Manley is mindful of the target generation of readers. Had the fairytales each been longer, undoubtedly we would lose patience and check our Facebook Newsfeeds.

On the content:
Twenty-somethings. The social media generation. We played kickball with our neighbors. Knocked on friend's doors. Kept loose change for M
Amanda - Go Book Yourself
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, meh
A copy was provided by the publisher in return for an honest review.

"The ugly duckling still felt gross compared with everyone else. but then she got instagram and there's this one filter that makes her look awesome."

I had never heard of Tim Manley's Tumblr page before so when I saw this book I thought it was a brilliant idea. I was expecting witty and funny but unfortunately, that's not what I got.

Manley takes the fairy tales we loved as children and re writes them for the social media generat
Alison
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
I honestly don't even know what to give this. This wasn't what I was expecting. The "stories" are 1-3 sentences on every other page about a certain well-known fairy tales and basically made them all angsty or lazy 20 year olds. Some of the characters are reoccurring, furthering their stories and some of them are mentioned once and never again. While some of them were funny, for the most part it was just on a level of "okay" and didn't impress me much. Don't know if it was worth making a book ove ...more
Absinthe
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, own
Very humorous, and a nice and easy read. Not without meaning, Manley does a good job of using classic characters as a way to remind the modern generation that the morals of fairytales are never outdated.
Anna
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
50% (sorta) funny, 50% u tried.
Maggie Mattmiller
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'm having a really hard time forming an opinion on this book. It's definitely not what I expected (or what I was hoping) it would be. But I don't want to hold that against the author...

But I'm not really sure what he's going for. Rather than being like a collection of stories where each plotline had a couple of pages in a row, like mini stories, each had a page here and there scattered throughout the book. After I made it a little over halfway through they kind of pieced together and I realized
Rebecca
Heh! It seems like a lot of people didn't get this, but it cracked me up. If you've seen its online origin, http://fairytalesfor20somethings.tumb..., you know you're in for tales twisted by social media malaise. This will date quickly, but it's painfully funny right now, especially if you spend too much time online.

One note, because I wrote down the page numbers of my favorites: the page numbers are ALL off. They are out of order and some repeat. Printing mistake!

"Though Sleeping Beauty would s
emily
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
This was really fun!!!! Also very funny. The modern twists to these tales were so fun and clever, I loved them. The illustrations were really nice, too. There was a nice amount of diversity in this that I really appreciated: Sleeping Beauty was black, Mulan got a sex change, Repunzelle started dating a girl and Arthur admitted he's in love with Lancelot. So cool, very funny, nice little read.
Richard Cardenas
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 star rating.

Let's keep this simple.

It was funny, entertaining, and I need a copy of my own now. :)
Anna
Feb 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
This review is just going to be a quickie, because this book is mainly just drawings from the author's website. I love anything to do with fairy tales, and I am always saying this - plus, it was a cool concept. What would fairy tale characters be like if they had to live in a modern world, with all its conveniences? But they also would have to deal with the pitfalls of a technology saturated world. This was supposed to be a book of humorous (and I assume), somewhat fanciful drawings of fairy tal ...more
Essie
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have followed this blog for a long time and was super excited for the book to come out. But what makes this book even better than expected is that 1. I think 80-90% of the mini-stories in this book are fresh material, and 2. All of the characters' stories get resolved in some way by the end, lending the whole thing a nice feeling of a (hilarious) multiple-narrator novel, not just a bunch of clever and sometimes raunchy fairy tale snippets.

If you haven't read the blog, the whole book is made up
Meg
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: magical-realism
Tim Manley’s Alice in Tumblr-land: And Other Fairy Tales for a New Generation tells the stories of fairy tale princesses and heroes, as twenty-somethings navigating relationships, friends, sex, careers and social media.

The Tortoise and the Hare Facebook-stalk each other down opposite career paths. Robin Hood worries if his killer social media campaign is fighting hunger or just slacktivism. Beauty’s new boyfriend plays videogames in his underpants. Ariel just doesn’t get pop culture, besides the
Alyssa
May 19, 2016 rated it liked it
A dose of reality made this even more hilarious! Little Mermaid's story just didn't appeal to me, although it the end it got better.

Sharing my favorite part. It's funny because it's true! XD

photo image_zpsttkyj2mj.jpeg

3 stars
Adam Silvera
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
Got this as a birthday gift from my friend Donna and I loved it. I thought it was just going to be little cute paragraph-long entries but there's actually a narrative worth following along. So funny.
Ulises Estrada
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
3.5 Stars

This was a really good book to pass the time,it's hilarious and really fast to read,but it was also a bit sad to realize how many people its actually going trough stuff like this in his real life,so i think the idea of using so remarkable characters going trough them was something really clever.
Ashly Lynn
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Pretty much anyone and everyone.
Recommended to Ashly by: Been on my to-read forever. Can't remember where I first heard of it.
5/5 Stars

This is a short humor book that consists of a collection of short “fairy tales.” Red Riding hood can’t seem to find a good man that doesn’t turn out to be a wolf. Belle’s relationship with the beast is quickly losing steam. Things didn’t work out so well for Cinderella. Alice is a college student that is never sure of what’s happening around her. Geared toward the young adult generation, these tales are sure to have you laughing out loud and nodding your head in agreement, relating to e
Kayla
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Have you ever wanted to know what happens to your favorite fairytale characters after the happily ever after? Then Alice in Tumbr-land is the perfect book for you. It has all the answers about the fairy tale characters, even some of the ones I had forgotten about. It also takes a look at what fairy tales would be like in our modern world.

Alice in Tumblr-land takes the harsh realities of being an adult and puts them in a sarcastic, humorous light. I think everyone will be able to identify with at
Jillyn
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: requested, ebook
Alice in Tumblr-land is a book full of snippets and pictures that help narrate fairy tales in the modern era. Peter Pan wants nothing more than to be internet famous, Alice experiences a drug trip, and Sleeping Beauty and the Ugly Duckling struggle with self-esteem problems. This is a fairy tale for the technology generation.

----

This book was dark and strange, and I loved it. It wasn't at all what I was expecting, but I was pleasantly surprised with how much I snickered throughout reading it.

One
Wayne McCoy
Oct 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Alice In Tumblr Land is a series of fairy tales retold for the jaded internet age where all the characters are kind of like hipsters. Little Red Riding Hood is trying not to meet creepy men. Snow White and Prince Charming are married with difficulties. Rapunzel has cut her hair off and all her friends like her profile picture better. Mulan is having an identity crisis.

Actually most of the characters are suffering an identity crisis or some form of ennui. Since there are a lot of characters and t
Katherine Kendig
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a very short book, but be forewarned: it's really hard to put down. It consists of a series of very short vignettes (I think that's the right word) and illustrations on fairytale characters in modern times...Sleeping Beauty checking facebook in bed, Rapunzel putting up a profile picture with her new short haircut (everyone likes it, which makes her wonder, "did everyone hate my long hair and just not tell me?" :). What makes it so hard to set aside is that the stories are all mixed into ...more
Renata
Apr 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, humor, grownup
This came across my desk by accident--it had been ordered by our adult fiction buyer but our TS department assumed it was for teen. I can see why, and I'm debating ordering another copy for teen. I definitely think it would have a lot of teen appeal, although the jokes are most squarely aimed at post-college life. There are a few jokes that are a little bit adult (the word "sexting" is used) but I don't think there's anything in here that's more explicit than say, a Lauren Myracle novel.

I hadn't
Sara Wheeler
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.75 Stars

I really loved the premise. Fairy tails given the chance to grow up and evolve into something more modern, what more could you possibly want? I appreciated how brief and refreshing each chunk of story was. It wasn't an overload of information. Some weren't as great as others, but there was a really great chunk of them with creative references to social media and modern situations. A nice light read and good for a laugh. The artwork is a sweet addition to the little excerpts as
Pearl
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely delightful book! Manley cleverly reimagines all the familiar fairy tale characters we know from childhood and infuses them with embarassingly recognizable millennial anxieties: Am I going to figure out what to do with my life post-college? Why didn't I get enough Facebook likes on that post? Why are there so many wolves on online dating sites? AM I GOING TO BE OKAY IN THE REAL WORLD?? All the characters are endearing... The Ugly Duckling, for example, stresses about her high school re ...more
kimberly
Apr 08, 2014 rated it liked it
your childhood fantasy characters come alive and are now 20-30 something hipsters. clever, because some of these will resemble things you yourself have thought.

edit: i just went back and forth a few times between 2 and 3 stars. "it was okay" AND "i liked it". both are true.

also, i thought the author had a little nose ring, which i found kind of fascinating. but then it turned out to be a speck of dust.

• Seducing His Princess (Married by Royal Decree, #3)
  • 10 Ways to Handle the Best Man
  • Daring to Trust the Boss
  • The Sheikh's Last Seduction
  • The Divorce Party (The Delicious De Campos, #1)
  • A Baby Between Friends (The Good, the Bad and the Texan, #2)
  • A Real Cowboy (Rich Rugged Ranchers #2)
  • Waking Up to You: Waking Up to You / Overexposed
  • Because I Stubbed My Toe
  • F Is for Feelings
  • Back in Her Husband's Bed
  • The Baby Deal
  • Scandalize Me (Fifth Avenue Trilogy #2)
  • Wrong Man, Right Kiss (Gage Brothers #2)
  • Prince of Secrets (By His Royal Decree, #2)
  • Little Monkey Calms Down
  • The Flight of Swans
  • A Tale of Two Daddies
Tim Manley is a writer and illustrator.

His first book, Alice in Tumblr-land: And Other Fairy Tales for a New Generation, will be published by Penguin on 11/05. It is based on his tumblr, Fairy Tales for Twenty-Somethings.

Tim is a Moth StorySLAM winner, mentor with PEN American Center’s Prison Writing Program, and a former English teacher at School of the Future in New York City. He has officiated
“After finishing grad school, the Little Mermaid started a nonprofit to fight for the rights of mercitizens. She decided at that moment that she would never measure her success by financial gain, but instead only by how much good she contributed to the world. Money was irrelevant to her.

Later that day she got her first student loan bill.”
3 likes
“Puss wore boots so that he would gain more respect, but everywhere he went people just said, “Omigod, look at that adorable kitty in boots!” 1 likes