Start by marking “Little Hands Big Hands: Children and Adults Signing Together” as Want to Read:
Little Hands  Big Hands: Children and Adults Signing Together

Little Hands Big Hands: Children and Adults Signing Together

Appropriate for adults who are completely new to signing, this authoritative guide on sign language helps them engage with children up to age five, regardless of their hearing ability. Each of the eight chapters contain a variety of activities, such as games, finger plays, songs, and crafts, which help children develop language learning, improve communication and self-expr ...more
Published October 1st 2013 by Huron Street Press

To ask other readers questions about Little Hands Big Hands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Hands Big Hands

Tracey
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Early childhood education resource. Great collection of signs for babies/tots and plenty of songs/rhymes for tots/preschoolers. Even if your baby is too young to speak, I tell parents, knowing the basics of how language works will give her a great head start later on, and knowing some basic signs will make communication much less frustrating and interactions more rewarding.
I already knew the signs for bathroom and diaper, but now I can also sign 'stinky' diaper. Lots of fun and some new-to-me s
Amber S
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty cool book. But you *will* need to get a bit creative to turn some of these ideas into a library program. It seems mostly to be centered around parents and their children. I heard about this book on the ALA website so I did think it was geared towards library workers.

What I love is that each subject (family, day/night, colors, etc) comes with book suggestions and crafts that you can photocopy right out of the back of the book. I'm really glad I bought this because I honestly had
Amanda
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a guide for parents who would like to begin using sign language to communicate with their children. It includes rhymes, crafts and activities, and has helpful pictures of relevant signs for the new sign language learner. Since this is an ALA book I thought it would have more resources for librarians who would like to incorporate sign language into programming, but it's easy enough to adapt the information for parents to be suitable for a library program.
Kelly
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, nf-misc
Excellent book!! The author presents a basic level of signing options that are appropriate for parents, guardians, teachers, and librarians. Each group of signs is accompanied with several stories that the adult and child can read together while practicing the signs just learned. This book is a home run!
Angie Shere
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Out of all the sign language books I have read this one is my favorite. I will be wearing it out I think as I plan on adding more of this to my story times this year.
Marie Flanigan
Jul 18, 2014
Michelle
Nov 15, 2014
Kathy MacMillan
Jan 14, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Felicia
Mar 22, 2018
Julie Allaway
Apr 10, 2019
Wonderful Resource 1 3 Nov 26, 2013 02:20PM
Kathy MacMillan is a writer, American Sign Language interpreter, librarian, signing storyteller, and avowed Hufflepuff. She writes picture books (the Little Hands Signing series, Familius Press), children’s nonfiction (She Spoke: 14 Women Who Raised Their Voices and Changed the World, Familius Press), and young adult fantasy. Her debut young adult novel, Sword and Verse (2016) was a finalist for t ...more