Start by marking “Break These Rules: 35 YA Authors on Speaking Up, Standing Out, and Being Yourself” as Want to Read:

If youre a girl, you should strive to look like the model on the cover of a magazine. If youre a boy, you should play sports and be good at them. If youre smart, you should immediately go to college after high school, and get a job that makes you rich. Above all, be normal.

Right?

Wrong, say 35 leading middle grade and young adult authors. Growing up is challenging enough;
Published September 1st 2013 by Chicago Review Press (first published January 1st 2013)

Start your review of Break These Rules: 35 YA Authors on Speaking Up, Standing Out, and Being Yourself
Rose
Read from 26th August to 7th July 2013 up until 29%.

This one was such a disappointment. First off, even though I didn't DNF this one out of my own choice (my ARC expired), I will say that it probably would have taken me quite some time to get through this essay collection and it would probably continue to feel like a chore if I would have continued.

The essays' theme in this collection is breaking rules. There are quite a lot of different issues/topics the 10 essays I read talked about (to name a
Eustacia Tan
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This is one of those rare books that I managed to finish in one day. I used to read at least one book a day, but with university coming up, well, I've slowed down a lot. So this is currently the highest praise I can give a book when it comes to addictiveness and readability.

While I don't read much YA (because of how every book seems to have a heroine that's gorgeous but doesn't know it, with two guys after her), I was very pleasantly surprised. This really are "rules" that ought to be broken.

For
Liviania
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it

First off, this title is slightly misleading: it's a mix of young adult and middle grade authors writing about breaking rules. I'd name and link to all of the authors, but last time I did that I decided the effort wasn't worth it. Second off, most of the authors are worth looking up.

Each author focuses on a different rule, which titles their essay. Therefore, a quick scan of the table of contents is probably enough to help you decide whether this collection is for you. I quite enjoyed it, and
Rachel
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an important, empowering book for young people!! I wish I'd been given permission to break these rules. It would have been nice to have this kind of candid insight into the inner lives and struggles of other people when I was young. Anyone who reads this will be wiser for doing so.
Alex  Baugh
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
When my Kiddo was growing up, I taught her to always be herself, and to question anything that doesn't feel right to her. Both of these must have sunk in somewhat because she is her own person to a pretty good degree (would that 100% your own person were attainable). I think that some like this was the goal of this book, but it didn't quite make it. First of all, there was too much lecturing, too often the well meaning advise came across as a command, not a bit of sage advice, and in the end, ...more
Julie
Oct 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013, did-not-finish
Read my review on Reading Lark: http://readinglark.blogspot.com/2013/...

As a whole, Break These Rules was a bit of a disappointment. I wanted to love it, I really did, but most of the essays just weren't for me. The majority of the 35 YAL authors included in this collection, some whom I recognized by name and most of whom I didn't, try too hard and just don't hit the balance of inspiration and real-life honesty that I was hoping for when I received the book.

The essays in this collection are
Ed
Sep 14, 2013 added it
Reynolds, l. Editor. (2013). Break these rules: 35 YA authors on speaking up, standing out, and being yourself. Chicago: Chicago Review Press. 213 pp. ISBN 978-1-61374-784-1. (Paperback); $12.95.

If one were to look through all of the reviews in this column over the years, one would quickly see that many books deal with teens learning to speak up, stand out, and be themselves. In the more than ten years I have been working with high school book groups, I have read hundreds of teen reviews and
Erin
Oct 09, 2013 added it
When I was in the 5th grade, my friend Lauren fell in love with golf. After a few weeks of her latest obsession, she dragged me out to the golf course to play with her. I was terrible at it, (not to mention it was the first and only time a bird has deemed fit to do its business on my head), but I had a lot of fun. So I kept going with her out to the golf course, clubs in hand, day after day. My father, who is a golfer, got really excited about this and offered to pay for lessons for me. And I ...more
Eva
Dec 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
First-reads win: I truly think this book would be a great read for adults who want to remember their youthful self and "take off the cranky pants", as my mom says. Even though this book is by different Young Adult authors, don't think it isn't meant for all ages! I'm going to pass this copy on to a friend; when over at my house recently she read the first chapter and immediately wanted to borrow it. Good life lessons and interesting, funny stories make up a conglomeration of the many ways we ...more
Sep 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, nonfiction
I've discoverd a few authors to check out based on their writing and personality in this collection, so that's always exciting. Some of these mini-essays are more relevant and well-written than others, but they all center around the basic truth that people don't seem to truly grasp until after the period of time when they most need it2 (aka high school): to follow the beat of your own drum.
Janet
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, non-fiction, ya-lit
These YA authors suggest breaking rules like stop daydreaming and shhh. I wish I had read this when I was a teen. Great book to pick up for short spurts, each author's section is just a couple of pages long. There is a section in the back 'About the contributors' which I found helpful to learn about authors that I am not familiar with.
Genevieve
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Reading advanced copy from Netgalley. I like the idea (Here's a "rule" and here's why you should break it), but like with any anthology, it's somewhat uneven. Sometimes too serious, like a boring graduation speaker trying to be inspirational, but also at times quite funny and on the mark (Wendy Mass, for example).
Ietrio
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: junk
I was curious about the title. And than I have read a few stories. And it was so nice. Tell the people: be yourself. And you can only be yourself by following your dreams and whims as well. But than I got to the religious stuff.
orangerful
Just read the story by A.S. King (because I am a little obsessed at the moment). It was good, especially for a collection like this, which is truly for teens turning into young adults trying to figure out how the world works.
Kathleen Brunnett
Nov 21, 2013 rated it liked it
YA - Not sure if this will find a solid audience with my middle schoolers, but certainly food for thought in these essays.
Evangelyn
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
One story I particularly liked was with the author and his wife that went to Africa.
Melanie
Jan 02, 2018
Janet
Jul 30, 2016
Edna
rated it did not like it
Apr 21, 2018