Start by marking “Moron to Moron: Two Men, Two Bikes, One Mongolian Misadventure” as Want to Read:
Moron to Moron: Two Men, Two Bikes, One Mongolian Misadventure

Moron to Moron: Two Men, Two Bikes, One Mongolian Misadventure

Uncrossable rivers, hospitable nomads, rabid dogs, marijuana fields, hailstone flashfloods, maidens on horseback, underpants wrestling, toxic mountaintop lakes, stupid westerners, and so much mountain biking your ass will hurt just reading it

In July 2010, Tom Doig and his best friend Tama Pugsley cycled 1487 kilometers (920 miles) across northern Mongolia from a small town
Published May 1st 2013 by Allen Unwin

To ask other readers questions about Moron to Moron, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moron to Moron

Tuck
an irreverent, and sometimes bordering on "too-much-info" into the sex lives of kiwis on the road, but... a great biking book chronicling an unassisted bike trip across northern mongolia, west to east.
a good mix of history, natural history a bit, customs and cultures, and nitty gritty of long distance hard core bicycle riding/camping.
plus you learn what ZANG is. zang! a couple of other bicyle travel books somewhat reminiscent of this one, but not as sexy that's for sure, are another mongolia one
Toby Rowe
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Though giving a five star review to an author you know personally may be a bit shonky, friend or not, I found it really hard to put this tale down and ripped through it in just a couple of days. The humour, the relateabilityness, the honesty, and the turns of phrase- "it was hard and tasted of lapsed expiry dates", or, "I had the giddy sensation that a dyslexic megalomaniac sign-writer had painted the town weird"- mean this is definitely worth all five of its stars. Zang!
Paul
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
Mongolia is a vast landlocked country. It is best known for the Mogul emperor Ghengis Khaan who ruled this rugged wilderness in the 13th century. Tom and Tama, one of his closest friends, decided to cycle across the country from a northern town called Moron to another smaller town called Moron, 900 odd miles away. They kind of felt it had to be done. They packed their bags with a barely passable phrasebook and some weird spandex suits and bought their bikes in China, and they were ready. Sort of ...more
Liselott
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: travel
I wished these two 'morons' as they called themselves, could have pedalled a bit faster so I could have finished the book earlier. I was looking forward to read about their bike journey from this town called mörön to another town also called mörön in Mongolia.I liked the idea and I liked the book cover. But as happy they were to finish their bike journey I was when I finished the book.
Jim Rimmer
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Take your Bryson, your Gill, your Theroux, scoop them into a bag, take the bag to a bridge, hurl the bag from the bridge into the river like it's full of kittens (or marmots).

Now there is Doig.
Lorraine Pestell
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I first heard about "Mörön to Mörön" through an article in the Writers Victoria magazine written by its author, Tom Doig. After catching the travel bug from "Nowhere to Goa..." by Doug E Jones, this book skipped a few places up my to-read list in order to satisfy my re-awakened Wanderlust!!

Tom Doig is a highly-skilled wordsmith with a self-effacing, blokish style. This book tells the story of two childhood friends from New Zealand, whose lives have taken them in many and varied directions, and t
Melisa
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My husband asked me "What are you laughing at?" a lot while we lay in bed in the evenings. It was this book. I'm so sad it's finished I might go have a cry. Recommended for travelers, bikers and anyone who likes a wild adventure.
Jenny Gill
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. It's funny, insightful. A new voice.
Abbey
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fun armchair travel read, can't say it made me want to bike Mongolia but an enjoyable funny read!
Mark Glover
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
A pleasant read though a bit overhyped if you are going off the cover description. The book details a 23 day cycling trip the two self confessed 'morons' took through Mongolia. It is a pretty amusing detailing of their trip and the perils, joys and insanity of long distance cycling. Whilst I enjoyed it I felt that a couple of things let it down, one being the repeated references to their sex lives, fantasies and other such 'banter' while I am sure I would have been laughing as hard as they were ...more
Sam
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
When the overall concept is an adventure of two morons, travelling from one town called Moron to another, you know you’re not in for a standard travel novel. Tom and Tama are two New Zealanders that decide to ride bikes through Mongolia with often hilarious results.

There is a fun sense of adventure and a whole host of wacky characters that make the story a joy to read. Tom and Tama could pretty much be any two normal guys having a laugh and are easy to relate to for not being super serious ninja
Ladybug33
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable book which made you laugh and also question why the guys didn't do a bit more research before getting to Mongolia. Coming from someone who has done some bike touring, I found myself wondering how they 'rode' into so many situations that could have been avoided if they put a little more thought into their itinerary. That being said, reading the book you get sucked into a world of Mongolian countryside and go along for the ride. Though crass at times (they really could have n ...more
Vedu
Jan 16, 2016 added it
By reading this account, I was hoping to get a better insight into Mongolian lifestyle. I was disappointed that it turned out to be more about these two morons' immature comments and decisions than an anthropology of the fascinating Mongolians.
Pat
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
Not many people would bicycle across Mongolia. Very inhospitable territory! These two guys rode from one Moron to the other Moron. Quite a difficult feat! Some places had no roads, mountains, little choice in food. Good for them, they made it.
Doug Hendrie
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very funny - snort/chortle to page ratio is high. There's a distinctly shonky air to Doig's murderous bike slog across Mongolia - from an eye-watering masturbation scene to wrestling a drunk Mongolian wrestler. You won't have read anything quite like this.
Jane Mulkewich
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book very much... a great story, made that much better by the fact that I know one of the guys who went on this crazy bike trip across Mongolia... well I knew him (Tama Pugsley) when he was a kid in Canada, and I loved the references to his parents and his childhood that made him into the man he is today.

I also had great fun with the videos and everything on the book's website... http://www.moron2moron.com/... can't wait for the next Moron to Moron book when they do South America!
Chris Steeden
In July 2010 New Zealanders, Tom Doig and his best friend Tama Pugsley, cycled 1487 KM across northern Mongolia from a small town called Moron (pronounced Muh-run) to an even smaller town called Moron.

This really is a remarkable feat and you can feel the pain in the words but what ruined this for me is the constant lapse into 13 year old boy territory with Tom's masturbatory thoughts and re-telling of their sexual conquests and non-conquests. Why? Really spoils it. Can't say I laughed out loud o
Aimee
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: wasteoftime
The idea of two self-described "morons" bicycling between two towns called "Mörön" in Mongolia struck me as amusing, but the misadventures of two perpetual adolescent backpackers cavorting through Mongolia's vast wilderness proved more annoying and derivative than "bowel-splittingly hilarious", as the book's cover promises. The occasional dry wit that came through merited the second star.
Cognac Legion
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I loved the multimedia format. Also, the drooling description of lamb (/unidentified meat) and noodle soup will stay forever lodged in my memory. I read this before embarking on a much more pedestrian cycle tour of Cambodia. Doig and Co. are great fun.
Gill Collins
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I had always wanted to travel though Mongolia. Till now. I read it as an book so was able to click the links and look at the map, photos, videos etc. it's an easy read but a bit too uni lads on an adventure for my taste.
John Wesley
Jul 13, 2013
T D Irving
Mar 05, 2015
Rachel McKenzie
rated it it was ok
Nov 02, 2016
Claire Miller
rated it did not like it
Jul 11, 2013
Dec 20, 2014
Rachel
May 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Tom Doig is an author, PhD candidate and moron. Moron to Moron: two men, two bikes, one Mongolian misadventure (2013) is his first book.
The Coal Face (2015), about the 2014 Hazelwood coalmine fire, is his second book.

Tom was born and raised in Wellington, New Zealand. He moved to Melbourne ‘for a year’ in 2001 and has been there ever since.

Tom’s non-fiction has been published in The Big Issue, New
“the Marmots of Impure Thinking were being banished by the Bicycle Wheel of Truth” 2 likes
“A peasant with gold is still a peasant” 0 likes