Start by marking “Constable & Toop” as Want to Read:
Constable & Toop

Constable & Toop

Something mysterious and terrible is happening throughout Victorian London: Ghosts are disap­pearing. When this reaches the attention of the Ghost Bureau, the diligent but clueless Mr. Lapsewood, a paranormal paper-pusher, is sent to investigate, and what he discovers is grave. The Black Rot has arrived—a voracious spiritual infestation whereby empty haunted houses suck in ...more
Published October 8th 2013 by Harry N. Abrams (first published October 4th 2012)

Start your review of Constable & Toop
Richard Cardenas
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 STARS!!!

description

Even thought this took me a couple of weeks to finish, it does not take away from my love for this book. I will admit that this book could've easily been cut down at least a hundred pages but that aside, this was still awesome as hell. I loved how quirky, dark, grotesque, and heartbreaking this is. The adventure, the suspense, and the spookiness was executed amazingly. I also bought myself a copy for my shelf because it deserves a place with the rest of my babies. If you love Victorian
GoldGato
Jun 02, 2015 rated it liked it

"I think people should be ghosts first. If we were dead before we were alive, we'd appreciate it more, wouldn't we?"

Victorian England. Smokestacks spewing smog. Derelict buildings.

photo Contable amp Toop - 19th Century London 1_zpsryaanzwt.jpg

And ghosts. Many, many ghosts. So many ghosts, there is a bureaucracy of several levels, where these 'beings' file papers and work to control rogue ghosts, those who scare humans without permits. But not all is well with the London ghosts, for they are disappearing thanks to a deranged exorcist. Someone has to disc
TheBookSmugglers
Original review posted on The Book Smugglers

Sam Toop lives in a funeral parlour with his father and this proximity to death is thought to be the reason behind Sam’s ability to see ghosts. As a Talker, he is constantly sought after by hopeful spirits wanting to put their affairs in order with Sam’s help. He is not very keen about it especially when he ends up helping the wrong sort of people.

On the “other side”, over at the Ghost Bureau, it is business as usual as long-dead clerks take care of Gh
Rebecca McNutt
This book is brilliant, eerie, funny and a great old-fashioned mystery with a paranormal twist. If you're a fan of Neil Gaiman's work but are looking for similar authors, you'll love this. :)
Danielle.
3.5 curious and satisfying stars

***THE GHOSTS OF LONDON ARE DISAPPEARING!***

Let me tell you something - if the cover alone doesn't coaxes you to pick this up because a small colourful curiosity cloud formed after staring at the magical cover as it did for me, then I can assure you the following praises -- from a few dear friends of mine -- will:

"An extraordinarily witty story that accurately depicts the lives of the dead and compellingly describes the death of the living." - The Ghost of Oscar W
Emily Wrayburn
Mar 15, 2020 marked it as did-not-finish
DNF around page 113 I think. I just wasn't engaged. But I am in a reading slump right now and nothing is grabbing me so it probably not the book's fault.
Daniela  Pérez Nava
I have just finished reading it. I liked it a lot. But my feeling right now is: This story was really unfair to some characters. I mean... POOR EMILY!! She was just an innocent girl murdered TWICE!! And her two murderers? They're fine: both went through the fucking door, the first one even got a beautiful funeral!!
Tanner was left trapped alone, his lovely hound dead again and gone into the Void....That's sad too, although he said he was fine with it.
I felt Sam could have been done more at the cl
Raf
9 out of 10 ✨⭐
Keywords: middle grade, cute ghost, wholesome, light read

Constable & Toop is a delightful middle grade book. It tells a story about a boy who can see ghost, a ghost who find himself in the middle of something sinister, and other ghostly lifes in London.

The narration is quite solid, it's engaging and detailed enough but not hard to comprehend. That makes this book great for someone whom native language is not english and trying to learn it. It also does not feel too simplified as
Linda
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is an absolutetly DARLING book!!!

Sam is the son of a coffin maker. They live above the shop where his father and his partner Constable have their funeral business. With his left eye, he sees the normal world; with his right, he sees ghosts. And he talks with them.

Meanwhile in the Bureau, the clerk Lapsewood is sent from Dispatch and his usual job of logging in dispatches to the Housing Department and assigned to find Doris McNally, an Outreach Worker. But Lapsewood hasn't been out in the "r
Nicole Overmoyer
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I took a chance on this book and I'm a little devastated that I finished it. That's the sum of it all.

I won the book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway and I entered the giveaway because I thought it seemed like steampunk and I wanted to try steampunk. I don't think this is steampunk and I no longer care about steampunk because I love every word of this book.

Constable & Toop is a ghost story and I don't usually do ghost stories. Gareth P. Jones' book could change things. The trick will be findi
Luna
You know how sometimes you see something in a bookshop that catches your eye? You decide to buy it on a whim? You begin reading and you fall in love? Constable & Toop is that book.

Beautifully written, wonderful characters, mesmerizing storytelling – it’s all there. Everything about this book is just what I wanted it to be. I loved all the characters, yet I despite the richness of them I never struggled to follow what was happening. With each new chapter I got pulled further into Sam and Lapsewoo
Elevetha
*DNFED AT 312 PAGES*

I really loved the writing; it was so atmospheric and lovely to immerse yourself in. However, I probably couldn't have cared less about the characters. The whole plot, the Black Rot, was ill explained for my taste and I didn't much care for how the priests and exorcisms were portrayed. So I gave up, because I didn't think finishing that last 80 pages was worth it.
Allison
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely loved this book! I think this is supposed to be middle grade but it certainly didn't feel like I was reading middle grade. Loved this Victorian London ghost world with all the different perspectives and characters. Beautiful and creepy and fun!
Dyah
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly good. The plot isn't as predictable as some of the middle grade books I've read. It's funny without being dumb, and it has the right amount of gloominess.

The main character, a young boy who lives all his live in a funeral home, is a sensible person. I don't find it hard to like him.
Marie the Librarian
This was interesting but a bit too long. Not his best work. It took some time getting into and getting the hang which I think many kids will probably struggle with. It also doesnt say as clearly that it should that its set in the 1800s. It started making sense after a while though and towards the end it got real entertaining. However it took too long I think. But for kids who like ghoststories, I think it'll be a hit.
Amy
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book! This one is probably going down on my list of favorites. It reminded me a lot of another favorite -- The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. Constable & Toop is wonderfully original and fun. I enjoyed the macabre theme of ghosts and the clever humor that the author weaves into the dialogue. It is rare that I find a book that has so many character storylines going on, and yet successfully intertwines them. ...more
Gina Baik
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Gina by: Jusitna
I'd recommend this book to you if you like stories involving ghosts, murder, detectives, rebels, and afterlife. It's a good book but I felt like it was a bit too long for it's story so that's why I gave it a 4 out of 5.
Selvianty Yusuf
it was surprisingly good. imagine lingering spirits have a bureau organising them, putting them into jobs so they won't turn into sorrow that can only moaning and wailing *chuckles*. There were few subplots in this story that seemed separated but you know they were connected and you're waiting for it to happen. And when it did, such joy and satisfaction. lol. The ending was also good. I recommended this for any MIddle Grade book lovers.
Steph
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
The perfect book to read while on holiday in London! Such a fun, spooky little story. :-)
Krista
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Possible Oh Snap 2019-2020
It was fine for our students...It took me a while to get into the book, but it ended well.
Brenda A
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Praise for Constable & Toop:
I very much enjoyed the melancholy and tragedy contained within these pages. The humor was less to my taste.
- The Ghost of Emily Bronte

I think I'm going to like this book.

__________________________________________________________________

I'm really, really happy with Constable & Toop. I was so excited when I found out I won it. Just with the little blurb, it was already apparent that it was a subject and style that I would love. So maybe I'm a bit biased. Because I lov
Elaine
Oct 06, 2018 rated it liked it
There are many characters in this book, each with their own story. In the beginning, it's very disconnected. In the middle, it drags. In the end, it's all wrapped up nicely.
Kristin
3,5 stars.

Funny at times, a curious and easy read.
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5/5
Interesting concept, but there was too much jumping around between characters for me to feel really invested in any of them. I got pretty bored after a while, and it doesn't help that I'm not that good with audiobooks anyway.
Terri
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book
Stacey (prettybooks)
Set in 1884, during the forty-seventh year of Queen Victoria's reign, Constable & Toop is a marvellous Victorian ghost story told by a hoard of extraordinary characters. I knew I was about to embark on something a little different as soon as I opened the book and was confronted with 'Praise', not from press or reviewers, but from famous ghosts: 'I wish I had written this story' says The Ghost of Charles Dickens.

Sam Toop is an undertaker's son and it's all he's ever known. He's used to death, but
Rand
A droll coming of age story set in Victorian London involving ghosts, death, love, and family drama.

This reads really quick, with short chapters that breezed right along—which it should, given that this is a novel written for children between the ages of ten and fourteen. Guess it helped that the lines had extra spacing. But there's plenty here to appeal to adult sensibilities—from the frequent allusions to Victorian literature (of course the ghosts of famous authors continue writing on into dea
Chetana
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can also read my review at my blog

While I was surfing through Goodreads, I came across this book and the synopsis and the cover just made me want to read this book. There was no reason or logic behind this feeling. I read about the book and I just knew that this would be something I would like. So I ordered the book online at Flipkart. As it was an imported edition they could not procure the book and had to cancel my order. But I did not give up. I really wanted this book (Because I'm stubb
Jenna
May 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of the Graveyard Book
Shelves: children-s, fantasy
Review originally posted on my blog The Otaku Librarian, which I now have a rough-sketch of a header for, woo!
3.5 stars.

Sam's just the son of Toop, as in Constable & Toop's funeral parlour, but he can see the dead, and hear them, for that matter. And there's something happening in the streets of London. Ghosts are going missing and houses are hungry for souls...

I quite enjoyed this, although I think that some may be put off by the varying narrative POVs. I know that I did, and I admit that I s
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Bienvenue à Pandorient (La Boîte à musique, #1)
  • The Creeping Shadow (Lockwood & Co., #4)
  • The Hollow Boy (Lockwood & Co., #3)
  • Ikke tenk på meg
  • The Whispering Skull (Lockwood & Co., #2)
  • Annenhver uke (Olivias liv #1)
  • Sorceline - Un jour, je serai fantasticologue !
  • The Mystery of Black Hollow Lane (Black Hollow Lane, #1)
  • Plastpinner juger ikke
  • Where the Woods End
  • Diggers (Bromeliad Trilogy, #2)
  • Kariba
  • Ned i dypet (Krypto, #1)
  • The Trouble with Perfect (Perfect, #2)
  • La fille qui aimait les animonstres (Sorceline, #2)
  • Ti kniver i hjertet
  • The Empty Grave (Lockwood & Co., #5)
  • Greta and the Giants
Gareth first started writing when he was very young but it wasn’t until he was in his early twenties that he completed his first novel. Having had it universally rejected he wrote a novel for children called Who Killed Charlie Twig, which received an equally unimpressed reception and remains rightly unpublished to this day.

Some years passed during which Gareth met his future wife, Lisa and began