Start by marking “Dreams of the Queen (The Brajj, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dreams of the Queen (The Brajj, #1)

Dreams of the Queen

(The Brajj #1)

Dr. Cass Baros is haunted by dreams of an alien world...

...and will do anything to find it.

Relentlessly, she works her science team--along with her co-project leader and fiancé, Dr. Julian Saunders--in order to create the first lab-contained wormhole. Their boss, Dr. Janson, has a secret agenda. He adds a military contingent, which expands their six person team to twelve a
Published October 26th 2012 by Crazy Bird Publishing (first published October 14th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dreams of the Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreams of the Queen

Start your review of Dreams of the Queen (The Brajj, #1)
Dianne
Scientists, always pushing the envelope, searching for more, reaching beyond the known limits and for Dr. Cass Baros and her fiancé, Dr. Julian Saunders, their time may have come to take one step “beyond.” For the brilliant Cass, science is her life and her greatest achievement is about to come to fruition as her team attempts to power up her in-laboratory wormhole.

When her project boss unveils his own agenda, Cass, Julian and their team of scientists must go through the wormhole along with a t
Literary George (For Your Literary Pleasure Blog)
description
This book completely SHOCKED ME! The ending is CRAZY!
I didn't read this book for the characters despite the fact they were well written. I disliked practically every character for one reason or another. I didn't like how quickly Cass dumped Julian or that she was so self interested. I hated Julian, the man was a master manipulator with serious control issues. Jaemon was a gullible and naive believer in an asshole. The asshole being the Master who was probably best friends with every evil person
Siobhan
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m extremely picky when it comes to my sci-fi reads. Yes, I read a lot of science fiction books, yet it is rare for me to become truly addicted to such series. My expectations are usually quite high, the scientific part of my mind in overdrive. Therefore, I went into this book the same way I go into all science fiction books – I went in with my fingers crossed and tentatively clawing at the back of my mind.

I’ll admit that it took me a few chapters before I was pulled into this book. Whilst it w
Adrienne
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
So Dreams of the Queen was interesting. There are things I liked and things I didn't like.

I'll start with my likes:

- The story was well thought out and intriguing.
- The characters were well developed and you could easily love, hate or feel indifferent about them.
- The twists and turns were unexpected (well for me).

My dislikes:

- Too many descriptive words. Now I should preface this by saying I'm not a sci-fi fan. I normally/usually steer well clear of books like this. Not that they aren't good, n
Paula
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dreams of the Queen was a great mix of si-fi and psychological thriller. I had a wonderful time reading this first installment, and if you like both of these genres, you will too. This will be a series to watch for. Any si-fi lover worth their salt knows the importance of a well placed wormhole through time and space ~ this book's got it! Um... a mad genius out for revenge and ultimate control ~ yes please! Inter species romance with some va-va-voom... yep it's in here! This was a fast paced sto ...more
Shauni
THIS. BOOK. COMPLETELY. BLEW. MY. MIND. Author Jacqueline Patricks writes a powerful sci-fi story and completely changes the game. Using a deft hand Ms Patricks totally tilts the chessboard! I was at first intrigued, then enthralled and finally completely and totally spellbound! An amazing book that has more twists and tangles than an eight year old girls hair.

When I first read this blurb on Netgalley, I was intrigued. It looked like a promising premise. Then I started it and had a few moments o
Ceri London
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well-developed characters and a diabolically evil scheme.

Disclosure: I received this book free. I am providing an honest review.

Dreams of the Queen is a fun science fiction story that neatly mixes in military adventure with some erotic romance and some not-so-erotic, but still graphic, horror.

A group of humans made up of six military and six scientists explore a wormhole and discover that nothing is what it seems on their new world. Certainly nothing like their scientific leader, Cass Baros, had
Mary Roya
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story starts with a dream in a dark subterranean cave. Interesting and it gets better. A strange man with long ice white hair, pale skin and a striking body kneeing at the feet of the heroine, Dr. Cassiopeia Baros (aka Cass) and she wakes up.

I enjoy science fiction and the ‘Dreams of the Queen’ gave me just enough science to be really believable for me. The author is very skilled in building the world in which our heroine, Cass, finds herself in. Cass builds a contained worm hole. Now any sc
K.M. Montemayor
One world's scientific breakthrough is another world's prophecy fulfillment. Or is it? This book is so complex. Just when you think you've got it figured out, the author throws a wrench in the whole thing.

What I love about this book: The pacing of the plot, the timing of the section breaks and the weaving of the two worlds. There is no lack of momentum and it is very hard to put this book down.

The characters are flawed. None of them are one-dimensional. At the beginning you think Cass is a self-
Pavarti Tyler
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book for consideration for the Awesome Indies website. No promise of a positive review was made.

Review: Strong Sci-Fi themes and a positively original book, Dreams of the Queen is one of the most unique “other world” books I’ve read. The genious scientist and her merry men fall down the wormhole to find a reality they could have never imagined in their worst nightmares.

The author creates not only a fascinating version of reality but one which, if we believe
Richard
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a pretty awesome novel. I enjoyed it a lot, beginning to end. First, the writing is superb. It flows really well, and the author is fully competent.

The novel has a kind of chameleon-like quality in the way it changes as it goes along, especially in the first 1/3 or so. At first, I thought Oh, it's going to be a scientist worm-hole experiment high-tech sci-fi thing, and then pretty soon, Oh, it's going to involve some military versus scientist culture clash, and then pretty soon, Oh my, s
Michaela
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Won this book from Momma Says Read (thanks x)

This book was fantastic !
So many twists and turns, unexpected results !

The wormhole theory was fun and new, and I liked that the author uses all the characters perspectives.

Lewis was kick ass, loved him ! Shame about Brown and Matthews, thought they might be together :(

I hated Jules from the start and knew he was dodgy, cannot believe he did that to Susan ! OMG, that scene was so emotionally shocking ! This is backed up by some of his later actions a
Rose
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a great science fiction story.
It was a little bit Stargate, a little bit Fringe, a little bit Fifty Shades....yeah, that was the part I didn't like. But in all fairness 98% of the book was awesome. The other 2% would probably appeal to a lot of people, just not me. I found those parts cringe-worthy. I am just not comfortable reading about this stuff - don't even like seeing it on TV (no, I'm not a prude - well, maybe a little).

I'm guessing it's marketed towards women, but I think guys
Autumn
I read the first draft of the story and loved the creativity involved with tying science to magic and religion. It's science fiction that also feels magical. The characters were realistic, with believable motivations, and could imagine the new universe clearly.
InD'tale Magazine
3.5/5.0

Devotees of the paranormal genre will appreciate Patricks' original work. It incorporates science fiction and magic which meld together perfectly.

Read full review in the 2013 May issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Rebecca McNutt
Dreams of the Queen was okay but I found that the romance clouded over everything, so much that the story itself wasn't focused on as much.
Isis
Though I was lucky enough to receive a copy of this book, my review is in no way influenced by the free receipt of this book.

An interesting book, we open to Dr. Cassiopeia Baros (Cass), her fiancée Dr. Julian Saunders (Julian), and several of their staff about to generate a Casimir Effect to create the only traversable wormhole known to mankind. Unfortunately for some reason things don't work, causing not only severe disappointment but also nerves, as everyone knows their funding will disappear
Jacqueline Patricks
IndiePENdents Review “Dreams of the Queen” stands as one of my top three books I have evaluated for The IndiePENdents. For most books, I stop about half way—when I have enough evidence to make the evaluation. I read this one completely in just two sittings. The story is a good-old style sci-fi thriller with a little modern polish. The story pulled me along. Characterization was strong and the main characters complex and multidimensional. For example, the various transformations of earthly Ju ...more
Louise
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dreams of the Queen is an entertaining and fun science fiction read with a well rounded mix of horror, military adventure and a touch of erotic romance.

Cass Baros, a leading scientist, and her fiancé Julian are working on creating a wormhole within the confines of their laboratory. Throughout her life, Cass has had strange dreams; a strange cave, mysterious chanting in a language she doesn’t know, and a beautiful yet strange man who insists she is his queen.

With the wormhole now created and hold
~ Rose ~ ☯Desert Rose❀
My Review
4 Roses

One of the lines of the book description is: "Serious sci-fi with a mature romance, violence, language, and some gore--this is not a fluffy bunny." I would have to agree! Danger, adventure, sci-fi, and aliens. Add some romance and a bit of destiny, and you've got the makings for a great story.

Cass's incredible story is exciting, and has several nail-biting points, as well as some sweet parts. I also really enjoyed Jeamon's character. All the characters are interesting though, and pull you into
Sunshine Somerville
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
There is not much to say against this book. The author's writing is beautiful, there's a diversity of characters, the plot is well-paced, the mysterious elements creep in and unfold so that you're always engaged as a reader, and the alien world is rich and complex, to say the least. (It's also difficult to say anything about the story without giving away spoilers!)
The only thing that kept me from clicking the 5-star mark was that I felt the romantic elements distract from the story at some poin
Rebecca Rakes
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's going to be hard to write a review without giving anything away, and you don't want to have anything given away - trust me!
The story is told from many points of view which I really like. You can see each situation from many points of view and understand how characters develop and change.
The characters evolve a lot in his book. Each situation changes members in different and real ways. The aliens are interesting without being too far out there. The world is believable and well described.
Theresa
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! This was my first journey into science fiction, and I am glad I tried it with this story. Jacqueline Patricks knows how to create great characters that you can relate to and want to read more about. I liked reading about Cass and how she changed throughout the book, and I will be coming back for the sequel so that I can find out what happens to her, as well as dear Jeamon and Captain Lewis. Those three were my favorite characters from the story.

It is involved, especi
Carina
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I got this book free and was asked to review it in return.

I really liked this book, usually it takes a couple of pages for a book to grab me but this book managed to grab me within a couple of paragraphs. The plot worked really well and I think this will hold up to a high re-read standard - even if is just to try and see what clues are dropped to the books ending early on!

I was a bit disappointed with a few of the characters, Cass is described in the book as being temperamental but s
Nicole
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book honestly surprised me. The title caught my attention right off the bat and I figured, 'This will be an interesting book. Let's give it a try!'

Boy, I was pulled in right from the get-go! This book is a combination of sci-fi/paranormal/romance and a touch of adventure. I loved all of the aspects that the story is written from and how you get into the character's heads.

For the beginning of a series, you get so into the story and by the time it's done, you are left wanting to know what happ
Terry
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dreams of the Queen is a full blown sci-fi smorgasbord with a bit of romance thrown in for dessert! The Sci-fi is intelligent and not to be devoured, but rather tasted and savored for the full effect. The author has offered up a wide variety of characters who are well fleshed-out. Whether you love or hate them, you will feel something.The plot moves smoothly and then does a few twists and hair-trigger turns -- unexpectedly, yet pleasantly surprising. Ms. Patricks adds a lot of descriptive terms ...more
Gerald Gaff
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoyed this story. This book was not in my usual area of interest, but it was recommended by a friend. For a book or movie to move me I must feel a connection to the characters, get to know them, care about them in a real sense and this story accomplished that very well. I found that the author also cared about her characters as well. She killed some off that I had become to care about ( and I did not like it ) but she seemed to know that the loss,though sad, was realistic and honest. A ...more
Pati
Dec 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, m-f
Though I am giving this book a 3 star it's because personally it had too much science and not enough romance. I have no doubt that a true sci-fi fan will love this book and give it a higher rating. It is well written with a good flow to it and a very interesting premise. I just prefer to have sci-fi with my romance and this is, as the author stated in the description, not a romance. Sadly, it also happens to surprisingly contain creatures that truly give me nightmares and honestly it's only bec ...more
Missdevora
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi , Paranormal, Mystery readers
Dreams of the Queen kept surprising me over and over again. Especially when they discover the origins and significance of the goddess Ta’mat!

The story is intricate, fast paced, entertaining, sexy, enjoyable and perfect for sci-fi readers or paranormal lovers (that would be me :D) or even for those who want to try something new having an open mind.

The characters in this story are complicated, each one with its own agenda/plans and at times they seem frustrating. It is fun watching the characters
MollyK
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
**** Read it & Reap Giveaway **** Copy given in exchange for a review

4 stars

Warning the novel contains some sexually violent scenes.

I am a total sucker for mash-ups. The Dreams of the Queen is one of the better ones. It’s a mash-up of science fiction, fantasy, horror and thriller genres. The story reads like a thriller with the plot pealing away like layers on a cake and you never know where the next piece will lead you. I am actually looking forward to her next work.

Favorite Lines: “Julian’s
Functionally insane writer with military and medical experience. "So, I know how to draw blood, patch you up, and hide the evidence," she says with straight face.

YOU DON'T READ A JACQUELINE PATRICKS STORY, YOU EXPERIENCE IT!

#whatsyourexperience

www.jacquelinepatricks.com
jacquelinepatricks@gmail.com

Subscribe to my newsletter for a free book, exclusive content, and a chance to be an ARC reader Newsle

The Brajj (3 books)
  • Nightmares of the Queen (The Brajj, #2)
  • Destiny of the Queen (The Brajj, #3)