Start by marking “Cross My Heart” as Want to Read:
Cross My Heart

Cross My Heart

Brussels, 1940. Fifteen-year-old Nicole watches as the Nazis invade Belgium. Determined not to stand by as her country is brought to its knees, Nicole vows to fight back and joins the Belgian Resistance. Under her new alias - Coco - Nicole embarks on a dangerous new life as a spy, where the only question is not if you'll be caught, but when...
Published August 1st 2013 by Corgi Childrens

Eric Boot
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will be literature within 10 years time! Certainly, this was really good stuff. I rarely read books related to WorldWar II, so this one came as a big surprise. Initially, my thoughts were more like 'Will I like it, will it just be a typical book about war, or will it be different?'. But only after 20 pages already, I was convinced to read it until the last page.

The main character is Nicole; 15 years old and living in Brussels. Nicole has a boyfriend whose name is Anton. Together with
Marjolein
I couldn't talk for at least 10 minutes when I closed this book.. I recommend this book to anyone! WOW...
Sanne
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Cross my heart is an amazing book by Carmen Reid. It came out in the Netherlands a view days ago, I got it yesterday and I've already finished it.

Cross my heart is not just an ordinary book about World War II. I always thought those history books were boring, but this book is the opposite of boring.
It's about love, being brave, protecting your family and your country.
When you start reading you won't be able to stop, something Carmen herself warned me for: "Don't stay up all night" she tw
Sandra
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wwii
Finally a book about resistance during WWII not set in France. They are always set in France but not this time, even better they are set in my own Belgium. Well written, realistic, etc. all the ingredients for a wonderful book. If you buy it then it will be money well spend and worthy of several rereadings.
Jessica☆
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing book, so heartbreaking.
Ajita
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blossom-books, 2015
The Germans have invaded Belgium. Nicole’s father is arrested because he was a member of the resistance during World War I. The brother of her best friend Anton is sent to a labor camp. The conditions are getting worse. Nicole can not watch without doing anything and together with Anton she joins the resistance. The missions start to get more dangerous, they lose people around them and the risk increases.

WWII has always fascinated me. I think it’s one of the most interesting subjects
Jayme Teague gauthier
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I almost gave this book five stars. It was so good and sad and I loved the characters, there is even a love story, and I could barely put it down. I should read more WWII books. It's a young adult book but I wished it hadn't been written so juvenile I guess. And all the "surprises" or "twists" I saw clearly through.
Layla Ashby
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
a good little book.
Kim
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A departure from her normal style of books- but a real page turner. It was about the resistance movement in Belgium and really interesting. A young teenage couple joined up and it followed their fight against the enemy.
Hope
Sep 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I really liked this book and liked the storyline! but this book took me a little while to get into but after that I really got into the story
The Book Queen
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites
God, this made me cry.

It's a really beautiful book. Please read it. It's lovely and heartbreaking and you won't regret it. Honestly.

And you will cry too.
Grace Backler
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5/5
Thoroughly enjoyed this book and finished it in one sitting! I find that historical fiction can sometimes be a little bit wordy and intimidating, but this book hit hard with intensity without having the overwhelming wordiness. This book was emotional and exceeded my expectations - I love reading about Hitler Youth and the bravery of the young people involved in the war. Definitely recommend.
Diane Shea
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is AMAZING!!!! Anyone who likes historical fiction should read this. It is quite graphic in places as the main character is tortured for awhile. There was so much suspense and I constantly wanted to know what happened next. I think I would have finished this book even faster had life not gotten in my way. Carmen Reid is one of my new authors to binge-read!
Faye {Daydreaming_Star}
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
As soon as I heard about this book I was instantly intrigued. I have an odd fascination with war books, and yet I tend not to read that many of them! I prefer the second world war but there is just something about fictional stories set admist a war that just pulls me straight towards a book. This book was one that I found to be incredibly unique and one that pulled me in right from the very start. I started this book a long time ago, then put the book down but when I returned to it and started b ...more
_cityylights_
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow.
Uhm... where are the tissues, please?
Fabulous Book Fiend
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book had me hooked right from the word go! It was full of action and suspense and yet a clear moral value running all the way through. It is set in 1940 and war has just broken out. Nicole lives in Belgium and Nazi soldiers have begun their invasion. She joins a Resistance group, and that is where the action really begins. I think this was a great idea for a storyline because, we hear a lot about children evacuated from the UK during the war, about soldiers in the UK, USA and Europe, but th ...more
Ladyannick Lentacker
Wow - just could not put the book down.
Pearl
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Cross my heart by Carmen Reid for me was one of the best books I have ever read and one I would recommend to all ages who love to read fiction especially books based on the Second World War.
Nicole was an ordinary girl who at aged 15 she lived for her friends, her school and of course her family who she clearly adored. When the Nazi army marched into her homeland in 1940 she knew her life would never be the same again.
This is more than a book of a girl who hated the Germans, Nicole jo
Emma
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: guest-reviews
Review by Beth

Cross my Heart is another book after my own heart! World War Two Resistance in Belgium is something I knew next to nothing about but as another facet of World War Two history I was hooked from simply reading the synopsis. I’m loving how more and more authors are writing about this period of history in different ways and making it accessible to younger readers who are more than likely being let down by our less than satisfactory National Curriculum (despite hundreds of t
Big Book Little Book
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Helen for www.bigbooklittlebook.com
Copy received in exchange for an honest review

As the Germans walk into Belgium in May 1940 Nicole’s world is turned upside down. Despite the danger, the warnings and the fear Nicole can’t help herself and joins the Resistance as her world is torn apart. Nicole shows herself to be a brave and resourceful member of the team. She is flung into more and more hazardous situations and has to make difficult and even life threatening decisions. Nicole is an inspiring heroine.
Lara
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review in which I ramble on and on about thoughts only somewhat related to the book... Read at your own risk of boredom!

I picked up this book in a desperate search for English books, which aren't all that abundant in Belgium. I've always found the history of World War Two not only interesting but also important, so I thought 'why not?' when I saw this book. What I didn't know was that the story was set right here, in my country, in places I've visited and even lived in... That just m
Katey Lovell
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Cross My Heart proves just how versatile Carmen Reid is as an author, demonstrated by her ability to tackle the horrific subject matter of WWII in a sensitive, informative manner.

Nicole, a fifteen year old Belgian girl, finds her life thrown upside down when the Nazis invade. Her best friend Lottie is a German Jew and flees Belgium seeking safety, her Papa disappears without trace and before long Nicole decides she has to make a stand. Against her family's wishes, Nicole and her friend Anton j
Chrissi
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read some of Carmen Reid’s books before so I knew she was a talented writer. I stupidly didn’t realise that she wrote outside the ‘chick-lit’ genre, so I didn’t immediately make the connection when I was given this book in Random House’s goody bag. When I eventually did make the connection I was incredibly intrigued to see what Cross My Heart was like. It’s a book ‘inspired by real people, real places and real events.’

If I had to sum it up in four words, those words would be ‘th
Elise
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
First review

1. The story opens up on a girl by the name of Nicole, she is in school when the alarms go off and they are forced to leave the building her country has been invaded by Nazi solders, she teams up with a friend that she hasn't seen in a long time, they both join the resistance and slowly fall in love.

2. Her country that she lives in is Belgium, its in Europe and it has been invaded but Nazi solders she must try and find a way to fight back.

3. That she ha
Smithjamest
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Originally published on www.justthisteenager.blogspot.co.uk - visit for more reviews.

Cross My Heart by Carmen Reid was an inspirational adventure set in the Second World War. Following plucky bold Nicole as she joins the Belgian resistance, determined to do all she can to make it harder for the Nazi Germans who have stolen her city for them-selves, Reid tells a emotional heartbreaking story with vivid threads of truth sewn through it which gives it an edge over other fictional novels.

Cross My Heart was wel
Astrid
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The second world war is happening in Europe and in Brussels Belgium, Nicole isn't just looking. She wants to take action and joins the Belgian Resistance.

Of course this novel was action packed and I was surprised by the things that Nicole, as a fifteen year old, could do. She is an amazing person and I love it that you can read that she knows that what she's doing is very dangerous and that she is afraid but she still tries to help all she can. The side characters are all so wonderful and I lov
Kirsty
I was utterly engrossed by this book from the first to the last page.

Cross my Heart is the story of 15 year old Nicole who, after the Nazis invade Belguim, joins the resistance to fight against them. I thought this book was a brilliant read and I couldn't read it fast enough. Nicole's story is awe inspiring and terrifying when you see the lengths she is willing to go to oppose the Nazis who are occupying her country. The way she was treated in Ravensbruck was really uneasy reading and made you
Bookishthings
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book, is so inspirational words cannot describe it, I laughed, I got extremely angry, emotional, and so scared by the power of this book, and what was going happen to the characters. This book should be made compulsory for every student studying History, or even to just study it for English. I will never forget this book, or the amount of times I have sobbed throughout this book. This is the only book where I've been in 10 pages and started to sob. The plot twists are incredible and unexpec ...more
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I can't understand how this book has just got 155 ratings. How haven't people read this book?

Truth be told, even the biggest historical fiction fans are fed up of reading historical fiction based in WW2... But don't let that put you off.

Set in Nazi-occupied Brussels, 15 year old Nicole wants nothing more than to stop the Nazis, especially after her father is sent to prison for helping the resistance. She and her childhood friend Anton find their way into the resistance and join a te
Adele
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow what a book! This wasn't a book I would normally read but as it was written by one of my favourite authors I decided to give it a go. From the first chapter the book was filled with drama and it continued from there on. It was thrilling, dramatic, sad, filled with tragedy, warmth, romance and history. I lapped it all up and was very emotional at the end. Would love to see this book adapted as a film.

• Diary of a Mall Girl
  • Second Best Friend
  • Air (Blue #2)
  • Smuggler's Kiss
  • Deep Water
  • Fashion Assassin (Jessica Cole: Model Spy, #2)
  • Songs About Us (Songs About A Girl, #2)
  • Dusk (Dusk, #1)
  • Indigo Donut
  • You Don't Know Me
  • Super Awkward
  • Keep the Faith (Faith, #2)
  • My Box-Shaped Heart
  • Glimpse
  • Love Bomb (Ladybirds, #2)
  • Storm and Stone (Struck, #1)
  • Othergirl
  • I'll Be Home for Christmas
Carmen was born and brought up in a chilly and windy corner of Scotland in the depths of the countryside.

This may explain her lifelong phobia of cows and abiding interest in cities, department stores, books, the cinema and newspapers.

She is currently working on her eigth novel for grown-ups and her third novel for teenagers. Well, she likes to keep busy.

Carmen d