Start by marking “Bolt-Hole” as Want to Read:
Bolt-Hole

Bolt-Hole

Terrell Washington’s childhood was a trifecta of suck: being black, gay, and poor in America has no upside. Terrell climbed his way out of the hood only to hit a glass ceiling and stop, frozen, a chain restaurant bartender with a journalism degree. His one bright spot is Colby Meyers, a coworker who has no fear, no inhibitions, and sees no boundaries. Terrell and Colby ...more
Published March 27th 2013 by Dreamspinner Press (first published March 26th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Bolt-Hole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bolt-Hole

Start your review of Bolt-Hole
Julio Genao
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
set aside at 20 percent.

this just isn't the right book for me right now, despite being an ok read.

i'm angry.

***

the man adventurous enough to slurp your ass like a plate of clams casino isn't going to subsequently blow you like your dick is a biohazard.

description

that kind of guy isn't going to pull off your cock and turn his head before you come.

i had sex ed in grade school—i went to a granola charter school—and i've lived on both sides of the Safety Code. i've been both super-vigilant, and super-risky.

i
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**3.5 stars**

When I see Amy Lane's name on a book I have certain expectations. I expect to get a beautifully written, angsty, heart-breaking yet hopeful read that tears me down then builds me back up again. I know my expectations are through-the-roof high but I know what Amy Lane is capable of, and I want that rush each time I read one of her books (masterpieces). Did "Bolt-Hole" meet my demands? Not quite.

"Bolt-Hole" is an examination of what it means to be gay, black, and from a
Lauraadriana
Amy Lane...AMY FRIGGING LANE MAN. Respect.

As always with any new book by Amy Lane, I was super excited to read this one, but I was also kind of trepidatious. One of the main characters in the book is black, and even though I LOVED LOVED LOVED It's Not Shakespeare and the interracial couple in that story, it is always a delicate thing, to manage a respectful, appropriate, subdued portrayal of a character like Terrell. An African American man who comes from a place where being gay is just not a
T.A. Webb
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A bolt hole a funny thing. It’s used as a hidey place, somewhere you can run to and feel safe when the hounds are after you and you need to get away from the rest of the world. Terrell Washington—his whole life is a bolt hole. He’s the shining example of what is heard way too often. He’s black and poor: his mother left him to be raised by a grandmother too busy with raising her own kids and grandkids dumped off on her, working, and her church to have much love or attention for him.

He’s too
Adam
BR with Mishyjo!

Mish and I were talking a few days ago about how there's a serious lack of minority/people of colour in MM romance. So we thought we'd give 'Bolt-Hole', in which the MC is an African-American man, a try. While I have to give Amy Lane kudos for incorporating diversity and discussions on race in to her writing, the story itself wasn't so great, which it pains me to say because I'm a big fan of Amy Lane.

Terrell and Colby's relationship starts early on in the book. We're told that
Portia
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am not a big fan of the interracial romance written from the Caucasian perspective. They tend to be more fantasy than fact. But, in the case of Bolt-hole...I think Amy Lane is brilliant. How a straight, white woman captured the thoughts and feelings of a black, gay man was fabulous.

A loved Terrell. He is like so many men that I know. Justifiably angry with little hope. But, rather than question Terrell's feelings, Colby is a steady stream of hope and love.

I also don't like interracial romances
❧Gwendolyn❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
I love the characters. The dialogue not so much.
Kaje Harper
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This story gets an extra star for being written from the POV of a minority character. And while I don't have the authority to say for sure, I think Amy Lane has nailed Terrell's character, his thought processes and experiences, and even his speech. He rings true for me. He and Colby are wonderful, believable, honorable and interesting characters. Terrell's journey through self-doubt and distrust and the minefield of his past is so well done. There are some great secondary characters, and not ...more
Mandy*reads obsessively*
What to say about this book, that hasn't been said yet?
Not much, it's pretty much all been said, but I am glad I read this story, very very glad.
Terrell did everything 'right' got his education, worked his ass off, knew he wanted better things for himself, yet still finds himself working as a bartender in a deadend job. He is good to his family, even if they aren't all that good to him, and he ends up without them when he finally decides it's ok, it's ok to be himself, that he is good, and
Lori
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've put off reading this for quite sometime because, as much as I love Amy Lane's writing, I have to be in the right mood for this author. I'm really glad I didn't put it off any longer.

This book tackled some difficult subjects, racism and homophobia, not from the POV of the racist or homophobe but from the expectations of the MC. Expectations that have been drilled into him whilst growing up.

Now I will never know what it like to grow up anything other than a white, straight, English woman - no
Bev
Mar 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq-mm

3 stars, and that's being generous, definitely not the author's best work. Although she tried to build a back-story, saying that Colby and Terrell had known each other for a year before Colby took the plunge and kissed T, neither MC connected for me and I was just meh about the storyline.

Colby was the least racist person you could wish to meet, but....it wasn't white college boy Colby that was the problem, but black and from the 'hood' Terrell [talk about stereotyping] who was the 'pseudo'
Will Parkinson
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Terrell and Colby make a wonderful set of friends. Colby won't let anyone speak against him and Terrell gives Colby purpose in life.

This book was a departure from most of the things I've read by Amy Lane. There wasn't a ton of angst, but there was a strong bond between the characters, one that carried them through many trials and tribulations.
Grammy 1
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amy Lane’s newest is changing things up again! A murder mystery to solve along with her traditional lovers angst! How cool. Bolt Hole was a challenging read for me. I felt so in sinc with the life of Terrell Washington, I hurt for him from the beginning. Ms. Lanes blurb about him started my feelings reeling as she writes
‘Terrell Washington’s childhood was a trifecta of suck: being black, gay and poor in America’ Terrell works as a bartender at Pipiano’s Restaurant with no thoughts of using his
Zainab
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, m-m
“We’re bigger than black and white and gay.”

YES YOU ARE!

This one was epic,

What I liked: I love reading about multi-racial couples so that was the first plus for me. There's also the whole friends to lovers thing. The dialogue is awesome, it cracked me up a few times.. it was a good read.

What I didn't like: Terrell is A GREAT CHARACTERS, and also is Colby, but there was something missing while i was reading.. i wanted something stronger (a mind fuck or something) to happen, but it never came.

Heidi
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, audiobook, amy-lane

"We're bigger than black and white and gay.... Hell yeah!"
Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog by: HEA M/M BOOK CLUB
~ ~ ~

Terrell?” Colby muttered, rubbing the sweat falling off his forehead onto Terrell’s back.
“Yeah?”
“I hope you know… you know it’s not like this with just anyone, right?”
[…]
“It’s special to me,” he said honestly. “That’s all the fuck I know.”

So there’s this first kiss in this story that get’s interrupted and it just crushed me. There was something about the description of that kiss that had me right there, right in the moment. I think I became Terrell. Literally the interruption made me
Katharina
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You know, I wasn't always so sure about this book, it just seemed so darn serious at first, bitter sometimes, just like protagonist Terrell is - or maybe just realistic. Probably realistic and what could be more bitter than that?

But when I finished reading and I thought about the story, the characters, the pacing, the development, even the little mystery part, the romance, the struggles, the description of a world and life so incredibly foreign to me - I realised it didn't leave me wanting in
Trisha Harrington
This book was not what I had expected it to be. It was definitely one of those books that allowed me to get more than romance. Colby and Terrell were a great couple and I was surprised that race was such a big issue in the book. It was also nice though, not many authors would cover this subject and Amy Lane did an amazing job in my opinion.

One of the major hurdles this couple had to face in the book was race. Terrell was black, and where he grew up it was more or less a sin to be white or gay.
Mercedes
Mar 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-romance
This is a MM romance with a hint of murder mystery book. Don't read it for the murder mystery though it's not the strongest elemtn of the story.

This book is actually more about the relationship between Colby and Terrel. They have known each other for a year and work together in a restaurant. Terrel is a 30yo black guy who works as a bartender even though he has a major in journalism. Colby is 25 yo white guy with a Sociology major that works as a waiter. Both should be working in something else
Sunne
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Speechless......I think I need to write something here.

A 30y old disaffected black man and a 25y shiny hopeful golden boy. Can it work? Well, Amy Lane makes it work and how she did it? Wow.

I read somewhere in her blog that she was very afraid of portraying Terrell wrongly - she is a white woman, he is a black man. Well, I think she did a great job...not that I know anything about being a young black man out of the hood in America (I'm a middle aged white woman in Switzerland) but if anything
Tierra
Mar 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I thought the story was pretty good. It was a bit disjointed for me in some parts and I think the author laid the slang on a bit thick in my opinion, but it was a solid story. The characters were colorful and the world Amy built was vivid.

It's always interesting to me when a Caucasian writer has Black American characters in their books. Some do it right, others do it way wrong. I feel Amy Lane did a good job for the character that she created. He was caught between the ghetto/hood mentality and
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
Fecking A Amaze-balls!!

Interracial romance done RIGHT.

Terrell; first I felt bad for him, then I felt like I went to school with him, then I really liked him, then I loved him, and then I wanted him to just be happy.

Colby; I loved him from the get go. There was never a moment when I didn't absolutely adore Colby and have faith in his ability to make his and Terrell's relationship WORK.

There is a little bit of mystery thrown into this story but 99.99999% of this story is simply about Terrell and
Natalie
Wonderful. These characters felt like living, breathing people, and (looking through my interracial shelf) I don't think I've read anything else in this genre that so frankly addresses race. The murder mystery subplot is something of a departure for Amy Lane, and she pulls it off. This story is not as angsty as you'd think (if you're sensitive to such things), but it made me feel deeply for Terrell and Colby. Recommended.
Thomaidha Papa
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 Hearts

Review written for MM Good Book Reviews

Yet another book from Amy Lane that like it or not grips you in its claws and drags you in its depths. By the time I finished it and took a look around I felt as if I hadn’t had a breath for the duration. It was that good.

This book follows Terrell, a guy literally trapped in life the way I saw him. He was born black, in a piss poor neighborhood and gay. He managed to get education, something he thought when he
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Amy Lane brings us an amazingly emotional and insightful romance with the bonus of a murder mystery to solve. It's Amy Lane at her best, moving us through emotional turmoil, healing, and growth as MC Terrell emerges from his own personal bolt-hole.

Terrell, a 30 year old, college-educated black man from a poor family in a poor neighborhood, is the lead bartender at Papiano's Restaurant. Colby, a 25 year old, college-educated white man from a family of middle class liberals who raised him with
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

BOLT-HOLE is a refreshing new story from Amy Lane. Loyal readers will have much to rave about! There is your angst that she is known for, a killer love story between two adorable characters and also an intriguing murder mystery that really transformed this book from great to amazing!

The first thing I loved about this book is Terrell Washington and Colby Meyers. Terrell is gay and black and for some, those two things don’t go together. Naturally, as with all of Amy Lane’s books, there is a
Pete W
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Having read this, I felt that it is an important book that gay men should read. Especially young gay men, to learn more about life after graduations and prospect in general.

Terrell voice was... achingly real to read. He was so caught up in the social stigma and so beaten down by life that he was willing to deny himself and throwaway the only happiness he found in the form of his coworker Colby.

There were many social commentaries peppered through out the books and it felt realistic, fair, stark
Pjm12
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is excellent. Terrell has many reasons to be an angry young man but the highlight of his life, Colby aka Captain Amercia worms his way into Terrell's heart, and much of his anger and insecurities start to
disappear.

Lane develops Terrell so well that I was nibbling my nails the all time worrying that he would take off, stop listening to Colby's declarations of forever and reject the best thing to ever happen to him.

The crime element works well with the romance, and the inclusion of many
Tia Fielding
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2013
I just really, really adore Amy's writing style. If I'm ever half as good as she is with coming up stories and writing them flawlessly... Yeah, I'll die a happy author.

This time the story is about being gay and black and not being able to get away from your "hood" mentality. It's about finding someone special and having to figure out what you really want to be for yourself, your lover and the world around you.

The characters are so lovable that you just want to cuddle/hump them both. Possibly at
UltraMeital
DNF 19%

I've very little to say about this book because I haven't read most of it. I'll start by saying something important - It's not the book, it's me. I just couldn't connect to the MC (and our sole POV) Terrell. His mind constantly tells him he is poor from the worst side of the side, with the worst background, not to mention he is black and also - gay. Though he won't allow himself to actually BE gay because that's more than not "allowed" where he comes from. I feel for him, truly. That's
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dreamspinner Press: Bolt-hole by Amy Lane 1 17 Mar 27, 2013 12:10PM

• Double or Nothing (Double Trouble #1)
  • Bear, Otter, and the Kid (Bear, Otter, and the Kid, #1)
  • Strawberries for Dessert (Coda Books, #4; Strawberries for Dessert, #1)
  • Hellion (415 Ink, #3)
  • Deadly Lover (Exit Strategy #1)
  • Waiting for the Flood
  • Hot Head (Head #1)
  • Promises (Coda Books, #1)
  • Frog
  • Vengeful Lover (Exit Strategy #2)
  • Devour (Unbreakable Bonds, #4)
  • Fear, Hope, and Bread Pudding (Coda Books, #6; Strawberries for Dessert, #2)
  • Ignite (Unbreakable Bonds, #7)
  • Doubling Down (Double Trouble, #2)
  • Ink and Threads
  • Faith & Fidelity (Faith, Love, & Devotion, #1)
  • Rules of Engagement
  • Covet Thy Neighbor (Tucker Springs, #4)
Amy Lane dodges an EDJ, mothers four children, and writes the occasional book. She, her brood, and her beloved mate, Mack, live in a crumbling mortgage in Citrus Heights, California, which is riddled with spiders, cats, and more than its share of fancy and weirdness. Feel free to visit her at www.greenshill.com orwww.writerslane.blogspot.com, where she will ride the buzz of receiving your e-mail ...more