Start by marking “Gareth: Lord of Rakes (Lonely Lords, #6)” as Want to Read:
Gareth: Lord of Rakes (Lonely Lords, #6)

Gareth: Lord of Rakes

(Lonely Lords #6)

She's caught between a rake and certain ruin…

Felicity Worthington's only hope of avoiding poverty—or worse—is to accept her distant cousin's dubious bequest…a thriving, high-class brothel. Felicity has 90 days to convince her cousin's solicitors that Gareth Alexander has taught her the art of pleasing a man, though she's more interested in the gentleman she glimpses
Published November 5th 2013 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Gareth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gareth

Start your review of Gareth: Lord of Rakes (Lonely Lords, #6)
Caz
I will admit, much as I adore Grace Burrowes’ writing, that I rolled my eyes when I saw the premise of this book. A rakish marquess is tasked with the ruin of a proper and well-bred young woman when she inherits –of all things – a brothel from a distant relative.

But this IS Grace Burrowes – and while I didn’t love the last book in this series (Gabriel: Lord of Regrets), I’ve a high opinion of her storytelling abilities and have really enjoyed practically everything of hers I’ve ever read, so I
Sam (AMNReader)
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019, romance
I liked Gareth, but Felicity was pretty boring...I'm really enjoying Burrowes's writing but waiting for the breakout book.

Ursula
1.5 stars. (Because the writing was good, despite occasional Americanisms)

I did not enjoy this rather ridiculous story. The whole premise was weak and unbelievable- I am not going to go into all the inconsistencies and plot-holes, the main one being (view spoiler)
Lady Wesley
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amz-rev
Once again, Grace Burrowes gives us a lonely lord who has everything and nothing. Gareth Alexander became Marquess of Heathgate unexpectedly when practically all of his family was killed in a boating accident. Only his mother and younger brother Andrew survived. He has dedicated himself to his job, increasing the family's wealth while cutting a wide swath through the demi-monde and avoiding polite society.

As described in the blurb, Felicity Worthington comes to him one day to ask for his help.
Kathie (katmom)
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
HAPPY RELEASE DAY, GARETH!!!!!

Another Lonely Lord! I was surprised that this one didn't have any of the other lords in it, but that didn't dim my enjoyment at all.

Gareth is the Lord of Rakes. He became the Viscount after a boating accident killed the five people between him and the title. He never expected to inherit at all. While he was shocked, and grieving, he took on the responsibility and made a success of it. To cover his grief, he certainly deserved the title "Lord of Rakes."

Enter
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
This is a reread, because I needed to write a review, because I didn't remember this book sufficiently (I first read in May 2015) to cobble something together.

I had given it four stars, but I'm revising it down to 3 stars, maybe 3.5. Perhaps because I've had a long week and a non-restful weekend and I'm feeling bitchy.

Still love Burrowes's style. Unique, immersive and historically appropriate.

GB often requires a fair amount of belief suspension in her plotting - which is a grand word for what
Jess the Romanceaholic
Kind of a wild premise (but that was explained towards the end of the book), but still quite enjoyable, despite the author's apparent deep and abiding love for thesaurus.com and the somewhat cliche events that happen towards the end.

4-4.5/5 Stars, full review to follow.
Farrah
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely lovely! This is definitely my new favorite Grace Burrowes book. Gareth: Lord of Rakes was a brilliant historical romance. It had steamy romance, shocking secrets, and a scandalous family secret that totally blew me away. I LOVED this book!

I loved the idea for this book. A heroine forced to become a madame and made to learn how to do it from a notorious rake. It's definitely something I haven't seen before and I really liked that about this book. I thought it made the book even better.
Ilze
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
(First reading review Feb. 2014) Not a keeper, unfortunately. The plot is really weak, although the writing is lovely, as always in Grace Burrowes' books.

The premise of the story is that Felicity, the heroine and an impoverished but well-born on-the-shelf spinster, has inherited a brothel from a distant female cousin. The cousin's will also apparently stipulates that Felicity learn the brothel business in *all* of its aspects and prove that she knows it with an exam anda midwife's inspection to
Daniella
May 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
The book is lacklustre at best. It had a promising premise, but sadly, it fell short in its execution. I found myself skipping a few pages because the scenes were too draggy--as if the author was intentionally prolonging the scenes just to lengthen the book. And while the writing was okay, it was rather bland and did not absorb me--a common fault of Ms. Burrowes' books.

I guess I would have given this a more generous rating--say, 3 stars--had I not read Lisa Kleypas' Devil in Winter. This book
Krissys
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star, featured-books
Gareth: Lord of Rakes (Lonely Lords #6) by Grace Burrowes Author: Grace Burrowes Title: Gareth Series: Lonely Lords Cover Rating: Book Rating: Buy This Book:

She's caught between a rake and certain ruin...
Felicity Worthington's only hope of avoiding poverty—or worse—is to accept her distant cousin's dubious bequest... a thriving, high-class brothel. Felicity has 90 days to convince her cousin's solicitors that Gareth Alexander has taught her the art of pleasing a man, though she's more
Marilyn Rondeau
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Genteel poverty is difficult but before long whatever funds remained would be gone and Felicity Worthington, is in the unenviable position of being forced to accept a distant cousin’s very questionable bequest. Felicity could inherit a thriving, high-class brothel and convince her cousin’s solicitors that Gareth Alexander, Marquis of Heathgate had tutored her in the business end as well as the art of pleasing a man.

Gareth was aghast at the terms of his friends will that put the very prim but
eyes.2c
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly improbable, highly improper situation
...'scandalous, shameful, scounderlous bad man!'
so Felicity Hemmings Worthington at one stage describes Gareth Alexander, Marquess of Heathgate.
I must admit initially I had reservations about the plot. I really liked the main characters but, Yikes! the whole premise left me aghast and agape.
Really I was halfway convinced that Burrowes had run amok and this novel was nothing more than a bodice ripper --albeit 'of the first water.'
My perceptions were
Diane K. Peterson
Probably my least favorite Grace Burrowes book. The premise of the story had parts that were preposterous. The H and h were both stiff (that was OK), but I never felt like I really knew them (especially her). The romantic tension was so drawn out that after a while I barely cared. I love her other books, but this one was just not up to her usual quality.
Rose Blue
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star
4.5 Stars

Gareth Alexander, is the unwilling Marquess of Heathgate, due to a tragic accident years ago that took the lives of the current Marquess, his father, older brother, uncle, and cousin, who were all in line to inherit the title before he was. Although the boating incident was ruled an accident, people of the ton speculated that he had a hand in it, in order to inherit. While dealing with his grief, he also had to suffer people suspecting him of murder. So, his defense was building a wall
Alisha Tarran
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Felicity's distant cousin was the owner of a very high class brothel, thriving and making quite a profit. Upon her death, Felicity is left the Brothel by her cousin. In order to avoid poverty, or worse, and provide her younger sister with the best chance in life, Felicity has 90 days to comply to the terms and convince the solicitors she's done as instructed in the will.

That being that Gareth Alexander has taught her how to run the brothel, as well as please a man. Felicity can't deny she's
Leslee
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If I had to pick a favorite of Grace Burrowes books to be stranded on a desert island with and I can't have an omnibus of them all this is the one I would choose. I honestly didn't think I would enjoy it as much because the topic of brothels is not something I just reach for, but since I have to read everything this author writes as soon as it's published I took a chance.
Felicity has inherited a brothel from her only living relative besides her younger sister. The terms, according the smarmy
Cecily
Sep 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-archive
You have to admit, as a plot device goes, bequeathing a brothel to a blameless spinster and the education of the brothel-keeper to a notorious rake is going to need some explaining at some point. I was dreading the worst and most hackneyed of romantic fiction explanations at the end but Burrowes was rather cleverer than the average romance writer in setting up the key part of the plot. That bit works at the end. What didn't really make sense was why no-one appeared too bothered about reading the ...more
Donna
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love Gareth! Gareth should never have been the Marquess of Heathgate, but a tragic boating accident killed his family except his mother and younger brother Andrew. He has survivor's guilt and feels unworthy.

Felicity Worthington's father, a viscount, left her and her younger sister Astrid without much to live on. A cousin's will left her brothel to the eldest heir with Heathgate to help with the business side. As he discreetly teaches her the business side and eventually more, she falls in love
Maggie Hesseling
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
The troubling but exciting aspect of this novel is wondering who the good- and bad-guys are. Wondergully entertaining, this regency romance keeps you wondering with the constant surprises at every end. Gareth is also perhaps one of my favorite of Barrowes' characters- tourturing himself for suddenly beging a marquess after being the 5th in line. Though he's a soundrel, he's one that cannot endure to see a woman destitute. And though his intentions may not be honorable, the respect he bestows on ...more
Kiki Z
Dec 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
Somehow, this plot line was even worse than I expected it to be. Gareth, who I found only barely tolerable in other books, is strangely unlikable. Burrowes relies too much on brooding heroes even though they have very little reason to be so brooding. It's been over a decade, and I care very little, especially after Andrew's story, about this family tragedy again. Gareth is also one of those heroes who whores around yet somehow doesn't enjoy it anymore, which continues to make zero sense to me ...more
Sharyn
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Binge reading is sometimes necessary. Burrowes' Lonely Lord's series is addictive. Today's read is Gareth, who has shown up in many books as Heathgate, a notorious rake. His background story is finally explained, and it is a sad one. Meanwhile , Felicity enters the scene, and through a misunderstanding, inherits a brothel. Since I knew from other books, Viscount Fairly actually became a brother owner, it was interesting g to see how the story played out. The only inconsistency is that in future ...more
Jenny
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
For the values of the era in which it is set, the novel's heroine is both practical and passionate. I enjoyed her and Gareth as they circled each other and came together. I appreciated that both had supporting characters who were interesting, though I have to admit that at one point, I forgot who Andrew was supposed to be...foolish, since he's important in a variety of ways.

The author's note regarding the brothel-centric parts of the premise are appreciated. There was enough nod to that plot
Kat
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Gareth...~SIGH~ I love this man. Such a lost soul, hiding behind meaningless sex. And Felicity...I usually detest crying heroines, but not Felicity. For she was fearless in letting Gareth know how she loved and hurt. There was such tragedy in Gareth's family that his actions were understandable. He just needed his Felicity. Family dynamics played a big part in this story. Once again, Ms. Burrowes writes incomparably when it comes to male relationships, this time between brothers. We are ...more
Sandy Frediani
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ltlmer2
I do so love a reddened rake

I couldn't put this book down. I adored Gareth and Felicity and their story! Burrowes bring such fabulous warmth and wit and heart in her writing, as well as scorching chemistry in this one too. The way that Gareth and Felicity were when together was just so endearing. I was literally moved to tears at times and the story just keeps you enthralled with such highs, lows and even some twists. This one is a keeper that goes on the favorites shelf.
Angelica Morado-Young
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grace-burrowes
Did like the story although it did seem a little too long winding. With the main character explaining so much of the business both the financial, the clients,the rules, the workers, the gambling and so many words which a lady never says and he has to explain. I did like the ending with the involving of her younger sister.
Mary Craven
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having read Grace Burrowes' website questions and answers about reading order, I have embarked on reading her books in her suggested chronological order. Gareth being number one. I will re-read books as I come to them in the list order. I plan to have a very enjoyable summer.

Really enjoyed this book. Took character I had only met as side character and brought them to full life.
Holley
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good dialogue and a very unique plot idea. I enjoyed the writing style. I thought a little communication could have gone a long way near the end. It's hard to believe a man whose love of his life (his words) told him she loved him, he would still send her away because he might make her unhappy later, but this is a common issue for romance novels.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 14, 2017 12:57PM

• Love and Other Perils: A Regency Novella Duet
  • Someone to Honor (Westcott, #6)
  • Someone to Remember (Westcott #7)
  • Say No to the Duke (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #4)
  • Not Always a Saint (The Lost Lords, #7)
  • No Longer a Gentleman (Lost Lords, #4)
  • Someone to Trust (Westcott, #5)
  • Not the Duke's Darling (Greycourt, #1)
  • Marry in Secret (Marriage of Convenience, #3)
  • Between the Devil and the Duke (Season for Scandal, #3)
  • Nowhere Near Respectable (Lost Lords, #3)
  • A Devil of a Duke (Decadent Dukes Society, #2)
  • Not Quite a Wife (Lost Lords, #6)
  • Dearly Beloved
  • Never Less Than a Lady (Lost Lords, #2)
  • Last Night with the Earl (The Devils of Dover, #2)
  • A Rogue by Night (The Devils of Dover, #3)
  • What the Duke Doesn't Know (The Duke's Sons #2)
Grace Burrowes started writing as an antidote to empty nest and soon found it an antidote to life in general. She is the sixth out of seven children, raised in the rural surrounds of central Pennsylvania. Early in life she spent a lot of time reading romance novels and practicing the piano. Her first career was as a technical writer and editor in the Washington, DC, area, a busy job that ...more

Lonely Lords (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Darius: Lord of Pleasures (Lonely Lords, #1)
  • Nicholas: Lord of Secrets (Lonely Lords, #2)
  • Ethan: Lord of Scandals (Lonely Lords, #3)
  • Beckman: Lord of Sins (Lonely Lords, #4)
  • Gabriel: Lord of Regrets (Lonely Lords, #5)
  • Andrew: Lord of Despair (Lonely Lords, #7)
  • Douglas: Lord of Heartache (Lonely Lords, #8)
  • David: Lord of Honor (Lonely Lords, #9)
  • Trenton: Lord of Loss (Lonely Lords, #10)
  • Worth: Lord of Reckoning (Lonely Lords, #11)
“I don’t believe we are in any danger, but” 0 likes