Start by marking “Where the Rainbow Fell Down” as Want to Read:
Where the Rainbow Fell Down

Where the Rainbow Fell Down

Raised in a Catholic family with a disturbed mother, a volatile father and an abusive stepfather, Lynette Robinson left home at 14 feeling unwanted and unloved. At 18 she is coerced into marriage to an older man.

Years of marital unhappiness follow as she simultaneously begins a career as a marriage counsellor. She then finds unexpected love – with the local catholic priest
Published January 2013 by B.J. & L.M. Coker Family Trust

To ask other readers questions about Where the Rainbow Fell Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where the Rainbow Fell Down

Lesley
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A well written, no holds barred, down to earth dialogue of her life detailing traumatic and emotional experiences, but without the bitter recriminations that could have been voiced. I connected right away being born at the same time and living my early childhood in same street in Naenae. I am thankful, but at times through her story felt guilt, at this was the only similarity in our lives.

It is comforting to know that despite her experiences she has created a loving family, and admirable she has
Carmel Mawle
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What does it take for a young girl, raised in constant fear of a Catholic God who was "meaner than Father Christmas" to shout, "'I hate god and love the devil,' with the full awareness that saying these words might be my last act on this earth"? The answer becomes apparent early on in Lynette Robinson's memoir, Where the Rainbow Fell Down. It takes a questioning mind, tenacity, and tremendous courage. These dominant character traits become both her life raft, and the jagged boulders she crashes ...more
Lisa Gee
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There is so much to this honest and well written memoir. Lynette Robinson is a courageous little girl who suffered great tragedy in her life, and had she not been so spirited, she would have ended up another sad statistic.

Coerced into a miserable marriage as a teenager, she acted on advice she was given by her G.P. and began educating herself. This led to her meeting and falling in love with a Catholic priest - Father Brian.

Brian’s story is equally fascinating. Easily coerced into the priesthoo
Shevaun
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Where the Rainbow Fell Down is an honest, sometimes harrowing account of the author's life growing up in mid-twentieth century New Zealand; a setting which is strengthened by the references to well-known historical events woven throughout the narrative.

Although the book is set in a time I never experienced myself, Lynette brings it alive in an entertaining, humorous manner - even when the subject is far from a laughing matter.

I'm not a huge fan of memoirs in general but I immediately found this
Lynn Conrad
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you enjoy honest, from the heart, thought provoking, gut wrenching memoir's that stay with you and change you in some way, this is a must read.
Lynette invites you to come along on her journey from religious abuse, spousal abuse knowing in her soul there must be a better way. It is her indomitable spirit that drives her to show herself and the world that we can survive and become whatever it is we dream of.
Lynette refuses to succumb to being a victim of circumstances and her courage and insig
Theresa Sjoquist
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lynette Robinson's memoir, Where the Rainbow Fell Down, is a thoroughly engaging read, especially the first half which brings into sharp relief the experience of childhood in 1950s New Zealand - the silences, the things that weren't mentioned, and must not be mentioned.

Robinson came from a particularly dysfunctional family but in many ways it echoes the general societal outlook of that age and is therefore a valuable insight into the building blocks of today's culture. She writes with the guilel
Paul Evans-McLeod
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."....― William Jennings Bryan

Where the Rainbow fell Down by Lynette Robinson chronicles the lives of two New Zealanders; their fates are prescribed by circumstance, family and individuals, with expectations, agendas and demands external to the inner most needs of the author and her soul mate.

The path to their mutual destiny is bound inextricably with the choices made, and
Lynne Peterson
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as it represented not only Lyn's tale but the idiosynracies of the times. It alerted me to the hypocricy of the church, the treatment of women before any significant womens movement was in place and the loneliness many victims of the above were forced to endure. It is testament to Lyns character coupled with her ability to realise her predicament that make this book so compelling.

Tara Mclaren
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is very well written and I lost myself in Lynettes story. She gave me a great insight into the Catholic church, both from a childs and an adults perspective. It certainly made me think and I definitely recommend this book!

Juliene Berk
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lynette Robinson has written a remarkable, powerful book. Her memoir, WHERE THE RAINBOW FELL DOWN is so compelling that when nature called, I couldn't rush back quickly enough to resume reading it.
Robinson gives fascinating details of life in New Zealand as well as the details and facts of her own extremely difficult struggle to become, against all odds, a truly great human being--aware and caring for others. Mother of five children, marriage to two husbands (one including rape and the other mar
Deborah Lanning
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An enthralling read, I could not put it down! In an honest and raw perspective of 20th Century New Zealand, Lynette takes us on a tour though her rough childhood where she dealt with all the things we would hope our own children would not have to deal with - dysfunctional family life, an abusive father, psychologically unstable mother, sexual abuse, Catholic guilt leading to severe, long-term existential crises, poverty, economic and social instability, and then being a Kiwi woman in the infancy ...more
Richard Pinkerton
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's great that finally we are starting to see autobiographical novels that don't pussy foot around religious belief and show just what people have to deal with when brought up in religious homes. People are finally speaking up about the harm it can do and we see here in Lynette's story just what she had to face and how she dealt with it and went on to improve her life.

It is also inspirational in the way she stands up to religious figures in her life and is willing to challenge her beliefs, som
Hank O'brian
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Where the Rainbow Fell Down is captivating, intriguing, tragic and inspirational. It is also equally as good as 'Angela's Ashes' and much more real than 'The Thorn Birds' - perhaps because it is a real life drama. Lynette Robinson's and Father Brian's story left echo's in my head long after I put the book down. And the insights into 'the secret life of Catholic priests' was enlightening. Highly recommended
Lyndie Lisette
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. On a par with Angela's Ashes. It would make a great movie.
Kathleen Dixon
Lynette Robinson has given a thorough account of her life. She places her life within the context of a society that she describes well, and gives insight into the actions of the people who have influenced her and whose lives have impacted on hers.

I've read novels and memoirs, and have spoken directly with people in both my work and personal life, and I've heard many stories with similarities to this - different combinations of people and events, and in different guises, but the dysfunctional fam
Patrick
Dec 23, 2015
Justyna Lejkowska
May 19, 2016
Lynette Robinson
Jan 07, 2017 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
Prue
added it
Dec 26, 2016
Lynette Robinson
Apr 29, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Book Loving Kiwis: Where the Rainbow Fell Down 6 14 Jul 15, 2013 05:54PM