Start by marking “Chimera (MetaWars, #4)” as Want to Read:
Chimera (MetaWars, #4)

Chimera

(MetaWars #4)

A mysterious and dangerous conspiracy deepens, threatening the superpowered Rangers and pushing Flex to join forces with one of her team's mortal enemies: a Bane called Chimera.

Growing up with blue skin never made Rene "Flex" Duvall feel like at outcast. She learned early on to put people at ease with her wit and exuberant personality. So she's certainly not going to let
Published November 11th 2013 by Pocket Star

To ask other readers questions about Chimera, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chimera

Start your review of Chimera (MetaWars, #4)
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: November 11, 2013
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 4, MetaWars Series
Series Best Read In Order: Probably
Steam Level: Warm
Pet Peeves: Flat Hero
Favorite Tropes: Superheroes, Physically Imperfect or Scarred, PTSD, Bad Guy Turns Good

I really shouldn’t have skipped the last few books in t
Julie
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
Posted at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks

Chimera is the fourth book in Kelly Meding super cool Meta Wars series. This is a series that follows the adventures of a group of people who have super powers. Yes super powers. Like the X-Men.

Let me tell you, by the end of this book, I was exhausted.

Each book is told from a different person’s point of view and this time, it is Renee’s turn to share her story. Renee’s power is she is able to flex and stretch her body to amazing lengths. Well, she used to
All Things Urban Fantasy
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fans of X-men and Tahereh Mafi’s Shatter Me series will fall in love with the MetaWars. With scientific enhancements and mutations that are all but magic, this politically messy series contains a world that has remade itself over and over again. And despite that complexity, I jumped in with CHIMERA and found myself up to speed and invested from page one.

The only downside to starting this series at book four was my perception of the character’s ages. Renee was volatile but self-aware, snarky but
Paris
I really enjoyed the first three books in the Meta Wars series. I was a bit apprehensive about this book though because I wasn’t really a fan of Renee “Flex” Duvall. She wasn’t the most likeable character, but as I read Chimera I realized why and I totally got it. I like Renee much more now than ever before. I feel like she found herself in this book and it was great to watch. I liked that she was forced to work with Derek “Chimera” Thatcher and got to see a little bit of what it was like to be ...more
Cristina
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, superhero
An interesting journey through the mind of Renee Duvall, I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know her.
Dark Faerie Tales
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Never a fan of the idea of rehabilitating the Banes, Renee, aka Flex, must now work with one of them in order to uncover the latest secret project of the Overseer’s. Will she be able to remain civil long enough to get the job done?

Opening Sentence: Tap. Tap. Tap.

The Review:

I found myself a little confused at the end of this book because I could have sworn I had heard that it was going to be the last book in the series, and the book ends in much
Jessica (a GREAT read)
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received this e-ARC for review from the publishers via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review, I was in no way compensated for this review.

Kelly Meding's superhero series Metawars, is quite more interesting than I would've thought it to be. I somehow missed Tempest, the previous book as it was an ebook only kind of release. Must get to that one, luckily I wasn't too lost when reading Chimera.

A lot of the problems that have been effecting the group are still around, especially ones I missed
Jen Davis
Oct 19, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoy this series and I look forward to the new installments, but this one wasn’t my favorite for a few reasons. The book is called Chimera, straying a little from the tradition of naming the story after the title character. Chimera is the love interest, but Renee is the main character. I guess the Powers That Be didn’t want a book named Flex. But I digress.

Flex is the blue chick whose powers make her kind of like Plastic Man, or at least they did before terrible burns ravaged her body, severe
Beth
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
The conspiracies and secrets continue to slowly unravel. Just when you though the clones where the biggest manipulation a new devastating secret comes into the light. Children with powers that resemble the most powerful Banes have emerged and they are committing crimes that will turn a negative light on all Metas. To stop them Flex must align with someone she considered an enemy, the Bane Chimera.

Slowly Chimera and Renee (Flex) discover they both suffered from their pasts and might have more in
Hobart
Nov 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
Let's see here, Chimera gives us:
* A first-person account of super-hero life from an under-represented type of Super-Hero -- Check!
* Personal conflicts, Personal demons, general turmoil -- moreso than most X-Men, even -- heroes that carry emotional scars in addition to those earned in battleCheck!
* Impending Government Persecution of Super-Heroes -- Check!
* A sex scene that goes on far too long for comfort -- but is thankfully easily skippableCheck!

Yup. Chimera is a MetaWars book. It c
Shy The WidowMaker
Nov 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Ok I went into this series having not read any of the rest of this series but I still loved this book. I started this book out by meeting Rene who is apparently dealing with some fall out from the last book and having has some serious emotional scars left behind. I have to say I instantly clicked with Renee because she was snarky and even though she tried to put up the tough girl front she really was somewhat vulnerable and she really deep down wanted to be loved. Renee quickly realizes they may ...more
Cheryl M-M
Nov 25, 2013 rated it liked it
This is the third in a sci-fi/fantasy series a la X-men and hybrid superheroes Metas: The Complete Series: Trance, Changeling, Tempest, Chimera.
I realise the author has tried to introduce enough info to warrant this being a stand-alone novel and does so successfully. However I felt that it was to the detriment of the actual plot. There was so much back-story, relationships, siblings and half siblings, names and places that it was hard to discern the actual plot in there sometimes.
It is very diff
Julia
Fans of X-men and Tahereh Mafi's Shatter Me series will fall in love with the MetaWars. With scientific enhancements and mutations that are all but magic, this politically messy series has remade itself over and over again. And despite that complexity, I jumped in with CHIMERA and found myself up to speed and invested.

The only downside to starting this series at book four was my perception of the character's ages. Renee was volatile but self-aware, snarky but empathetic, and the perfect point of
Nicole
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'll admit that I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy this book or not. Renee "Flex" Duvall has never been my favorite character in the MetaWars series. However, I am glad that I gave this story a chance. Not only did I really start to like Renee, but I actually think this might be my favorite one in series so far. There were lots of new Metas introduced, a few more little crumbs regarding the Recombinants and Clones, and of course a Bane or two. One of the reasons I love Meding's stories is tha ...more
Brian Palmer
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: superheroes
Although this is a 'super-hero' novel, this was focused almost exclusively on dealing with feelings of trauma. The lead character, 'Flex', has the power to stretch her body, but that ability has been crippled in the wake of massive physical trauma and scarring. And while she's dealing with that, her emotions are stretched thin by her friends and loved ones' issues, and the problems of nearing a solid year of crises, with no chance to take stock. On the other hand, the romance felt somewhat incom ...more
Henry Lazarus
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Kelly Meding is more concerned with the human problems of her super-heroes to find the humor in super powers. In her fourth book about the heroes who lost their powers for fifteen years after destroying New York City, hidden children of the banes (the powers who fought for evil) were raised by Uncle and hate the new Rangers. The father of one of the children, Chimera (Ebook from Pocketstar) provides a clue. Flex, who used to stretch every part of her body, is recovering from massive burns and ha ...more
Darcy
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013, e-book, super-heroes, uf
I had a hard time warming up to so much in this book. The most important was the relationship between Renee and Derek. Renee hates Banes with a passion, so I find it hard to believe that in a week her mind has been changed. Another part that was off for me was the Junior Rangers. They seemed to come out of no where and most weren't likeable.

While the group did learn more about Meta's as a whole, there were so many more questions. I also didn't care for how things ended with this one, Trance sur
Meels
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Can it be that the writing has actually gone downhill over the four books? It feels like it. The swearing was a bit over the top and started to get a bit stupid and annoying after a while. I don't mind it now and then, for emphasis, drama...I get it's importance in language itself. But, the repetitive "f***" this & "f******" that constantly was so juvenile.

If you're reading this series, I've no idea how long it's going to go on, but ready assured you know nothing...still...at the end of this on
Denise
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
The fourth book in the MetaWars series is written from Renee's POV. While I have to admit that she's pretty much my least favourite character out of the "original" team, it was nice to get to know her a bit better and learn more about her past and what makes her tick. The story was fast-paced and rich in action and unexpected twists as always, making this another good read in a highly entertaining series.
Sam
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Noooo! How could it end like that? I need more MetaWars novels very soon. This was a great read and it was eye-opening to finally get Renee's back story, which was wildly different from the others. All of the issues with the Overseer just seem to get even more complicated and they still have all the anti-Meta politics to worry about as well. This series is amazing and intense, and I will be impatiently waiting (and hoping) for a fifth book.
Sandi
Nov 05, 2013 rated it liked it

I really enjoy the MetaWars series. Derek (Chimera) and Renee (Flex) are both suffering but for very different reasons. Watching them each come to grips with their pasts was at times painful and sad but seeing them come out the other side made it worth it.

Can't wait for the next one.

Ann
Oct 14, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was a little confusing because I haven't read the previous books in the series. This is a story of various human type characters with different powers. Earth is different as we know it. More to one in the series.
Stuart Macmartin
There are so many weaknesses in the writing and plotting, and such a slow start, I want to give this 2 stars. But there is an underlying heart that keeps me reading. So I know I'll read the next. Hence the 3 stars.
Shelley
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OMFG! LOVED IT!!
Kris
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
There'd better be another book! I know Ms Meding has lost support from her publisher but I really hope she does like she did with Dreg City and writes and releases on her own!
Anyta Noor
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I can't wait for the next book in this series
Tony Fecteau
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
You don't need to have your super powers to be a hero! This was my favourite MetaWars book so far. Loved it! Love how the Bane's are not the bad guys anymore.
Cindy Carney
Mar 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

MetaWars (4 books)
  • Trance (MetaWars, #1)
  • Changeling (MetaWars, #2)
  • Tempest (MetaWars, #3)