Start by marking “Fieldbook for Boys and Men” as Want to Read:
Fieldbook for Boys and Men

Fieldbook for Boys and Men

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  165 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Published 1969 by Boy Scouts of America (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Fieldbook for Boys and Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fieldbook for Boys and Men

Luis Sancho
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very relevant resource for Scouts and Leaders, an excellent basic text.
Apr 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I hate to say this, and, clearly, the Girl Scouts,(& Explores, & the Venture Crews) of America need to do something about it, but, right now, the Boy Scouts Manual is still the best scouting program book - Britain's Co-ed Scouting Program, on the other hand, may have us well wupped, grin, I see where you learned your knots, Lou.
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For something published in the 1980’s, this is decently current. Some sections are quite outdated, such as cameras and film. I was surprised that it included Aspirin in the first aid kit list, as at this time it was already known that Aspirin can cause Reye’s Syndrome. Used then-up-to-date science. Felt like fungi should have been separate from plants, or at least given a bigger distinction in the plant chapter. Mentioned global warming, but not in the way it would be brought up today. Switched ...more
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My husband got this book for Christmas, as he is an ASM for my son's troop. He recommended I read the chapter on navigation since I wanted to learn how to use a compass and map. As I leafed through the book, every chapter looked interesting and I thought I'd probably learn a few things if I read it cover to cover. So I did. And I did learn a few things. It was fun to read about topics ranging from kayaking to astronomy. I was given a good intro to compass navigation for a class I took, and a goo ...more
William Schram
A compendium of information relevant to the Boy Scouts. It contains information on hiking, first aid, packing food and even things on geology and botany. I used to read this book all the time when I went camping and stuff. It still holds up and is a marvelous book. It doesn't go into much depth with each thing it covers, but I don't know what you expect from a book that is only 630 pages long or so.

Going back to what I said about reading it all the time, the cover is so damaged in my copy that I
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great comprehensive field guide to all things Scouting. Each chapter is a brief overview of the basics for Scouting; they might even be considered as mini merit badges and philosophy discussions. Might be a little much for younger Scouts, but a must for Scout leaders. Venturers will want to be familiar with this handy guide, though they probably have already learned most of these things.
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent resource for anyone who loves the outdoors. This book is useful for anyone who hikes, camps, boats, or any other outdoor activity. You don't have to be in Boy Scouts to find this book useful!
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: outdoor-activity
Read again recently. Although a bit dated, a great source of classical outdoor information. If you like being outside, this is a great book you should read. It has gone in my backpack previously and probably will again.
1 David H
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is like 100% better than the new scout book,I wish I could use this book instead of the new book for my scout troop.
Nick Nordmann
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must for any outdoor oriented person, Boy Scout or not. I constantly reference it in my outdoor activities.
Rick Gaskins
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great guide for novice campers.
Feb 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Go read it.
Jan 22, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: outdoors
Great information for the budding outdoorsman
Jun 14, 2014
  • Programming in Python 3: A Complete Introduction to the Python Language
  • Possum Living: How to Live Well Without a Job and with (Almost) No Money
  • Black Flags and Windmills: Hope, Anarchy, and the Common Ground Collective
  • Tom Brown's Field Guide to Living with the Earth
  • The Backpacker's Field Manual, Revised and Updated: A Comprehensive Guide to Mastering Backcountry Skills
  • Waging Nonviolent Struggle: 20th Century Practice and 21st Century Potential
  • Effective Cycling
  • Mrs. Dunwoody's Excellent Instructions for Homekeeping: Timeless Wisdom and Practical Advice
  • Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair
  • Bushcraft: Outdoor Skills and Wilderness Survival
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants

Nonfiction Deals