Start by marking “Go Teen Writers: How to Turn Your First Draft into a Published Book” as Want to Read:
Go Teen Writers: How to Turn Your First Draft into a Published Book

Go Teen Writers: How to Turn Your First Draft into a Published Book

You know your first draft has problems, but what’s the best way to fix them? How do you know where to start editing? Or for many writers the bigger question becomes, “How do I know when I’m done?”
Popular bloggers Stephanie Morrill and Jill Williamson have been where you are, and they want to help you understand, and even come to love—yes, love—the editing process.
In this
Published March 1st 2013 by Novel Teen Press (first published February 26th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Go Teen Writers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Go Teen Writers

Start your review of Go Teen Writers: How to Turn Your First Draft into a Published Book
Lilian
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're a writer, it would be in your best interest to read this book. xD
Rachelle Cobb
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-read

So I had the privilege of proofreading a book recently...and I had to remind myself to check for typos and such, because I wanted to whip out a piece of paper and take notes. For me.

Jill Williamson and Stephanie Morrill teamed up to write the guide for teen writers looking for that extra oomph to nudge them from incognito to on-their-way.

They lead you step-by-step through the process of building your book and preparing it for an agent or editor's eyes. With chapter titles like "Why Bother?", "Yo
Jenna
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the best writing books I've ever read! This book was easy to understand as it covered topic from first drafts, to editing, to pitching to literary agents, and the process of getting published. It answered a lot of questions I had.

UPDATE-8.4.19
Wish this book had more on indie publishing. But overall it’s a great book for teen writers and really for anyone who is a beginner.
Lydia Howe
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is my very first Five Star read of 2018!

This book is utterly amazing. I'll have to give a full and detailed review later, but just let me say this: If you're a writer, you really should buy this book, no matter what your age.

It will probably be one of the best writing decisions you ever make.
Sydney Kirsch
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have many notes now.
TW
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing, favorites
I’ve been reading the GTW (Go Teen Writers) blog since July of 2013. I am amazed at how my writing strengthened because of just reading that blog and reading this book. I also found several good writing friends through the blog that are absolutely wonderful! =)
This book goes step by step through the Macro Edit and the Micro Edit which is totally amazing. Before I started reading this book, I had no idea what a Macro or a Micro Edit was. In fact, I hardly knew any of the writing phrases they used
Eva
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-books
Let's of good information about the publishing industry + how to write a better novel. Highly recommended to all writers, not just teens. (Though I think teens will benefit the most from it.)
Julia Witmer
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
Just as helpful a read the second time through!
Cookielover
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
this was really helpful and is continuing to be really helpful. there was a lot of good pointers and things I hadn't even considered. great book.
Emma Martin
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
it is a great book for editing help and it gave a lot of useful tips
Sarah Briel
I found this really helpful and inspirational.
I'm not quite who the book was aimed at for a number of reasons; I prefer self-publishing (and know much more about it, so this was actually nice as I got to see more into traditional publishing and how it works), I haven't actually finished a draft of anything, and I don't think I'll publish (self or traditional publishing) in the near future at all. I'm not sure why I'm currently obsessed with reading books about publishing and marketing self-publ
Brianna
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most helpful writing craft books I've read in a long time, and not just for editing. It lays out in a neat, easy-to-follow format what goes into a good novel. Everything is well organized and you can find what you're looking for in seconds. The section on querying is worth it's weight in gold. I really want to go and buy a copy for every single one of my younger writing friends, but don't think my budget would be all that happy with me.
Allyson
This is by far the best and most thorough book on writing I’ve read. Though I’m no longer a teen, and have been self-published for three years, this book offers a goldmine of valuable information. 10/10 recommend, and thanks to all my 113 Kindle highlights, I will definitely be referencing this gem during edits. 😂♥️
Longhairpanda
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you want to write a novel, you need to read this. Not joking.
Julian Daventry
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Really enjoyable and easy to read.

I will definitely be coming back to this when I start editing my novels--a great reference! (Not to mention a great way to get motivated!)
Rachel
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a person who has both the book and the ebook, I highly recommend the book. This is an invaluable resource, and one of the books that you'll want to flip to a certain section, bookmark, possibly even jot in the margins. I'm not one to usually mind a book over an ebook (yes real books are my preference but it isn't a big deal) however in this case go for the book it's worth the extra $!!

Now that that's out of the way down to the review.

I've been following the blog this book was based around for
Review by Sarah Faulkner

I’ve been a follower of the blog, Go Teen Writers, maintained by the authors of this book for several years. I was worried I’d learned pretty much all they had to teach me. I was very wrong!

Go Teen Writers: How to Turn Your First Draft into a Finished Book is the perfect book for any young writer. If they’re a teen, college student, or just new to the craft, this is a great how-to book and manual.

For someone who has read several grammar books, take a creative class and a
~ Sarah ~
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is such an encouraging and informative read for teens. Whilst this is mainly for writers who have written a first draft–and how they can polish that up–I read it while only being halfway through writing the first draft of my current novel. Nevertheless, it was still inspiring and only motivated me further to finish my first draft.

This book is filled with tips and advice, from checking grammar, to finding an agent. Since I am currently not in the place to try these tips out, I can’t spe
Julia Nashif
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Best writing book EVER.

This book is amazing. I can tell that Stephanie Morrill and Jill Williamson honestly want to help writers get published (Thank you so much for not ending up like Bronte from The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet).

Go Teen Writers is definitely a book I'll keep close by and refer to often. It's funny, honest, and helpful, especially about getting an agent.

The only problem is that the book had things in it the authors said not to use. For example, it said "a bit", and then on the n
Miriam
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I can't say that this is the only book on writing you'll ever need, at least not if you're a serious writer. However, it is pretty comprehensive, covering everything from fiction craft to the publishing industry. To be honest, I havent seen many books that do that.

The advice you get on these topics is quite in depth as well. There is really nothing here that you wouldn't get in an adult writing book. It doesn't dumb the message down just because it has a younger audience. There is little I could
Olivia
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway
This book was both beneficial and well written with fun examples and many details that writers forget about when writing. It is very comprehensive of the whole writing process.

I am not the kind of writer that reads a whole writing book all the way through. (Is that even how you are supposed to read them??) Anyways, I tend to skip around a bunch to the part that interests me or to a section about a topic that I need improvement on. This book is perfect to read both ways especially with the humor
Jillian
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An amazing writing craft book, geared specifically for teens! Written by authors Stephanie Morrill and Jill Williamson, this how-to book provides high-quality information on writing novels and understanding the publishing industry. A few topics include building stronger characters, developing plot ideas, and finding a literary agent. The authors share first hand advice in an entertaining yet informative tone. I've learned so much from their advice and my writing has improved greatly. It's also v ...more
Heather Manning
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is exactly what its title says. It is filled to the brim with priceless information for all authors, not just teen authors.

Go Teen Writers includes this and so much more. I took notes the entire time I read it, and I am positive I will go back to it countless times during my writing process.
This has helped me edit my work-in-progress novel and will help me in the future when I want to try to get it published.
Also, some writers books tend to read a little like a textbook. This is not t
Chris
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book has got it all. Whether you're a teen writer just starting out, or an adult writer that needs to brush up on your craft, Stephanie Morrill and Jill Williamson have written an excellent book that's well-worth adding to your bookshelf as soon as possible. It covers all kinds of important topics, from grammar and finding the right agent, to conducting book surgery and dealing with people who just don't "get" your writing. And it's not one of those writing books that tells you what you nee ...more
Kimberly Horton
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is great.

It covers so many different subjects: grammar, editing, crafting a good plot, the publishing industry... if you've got a finished draft, this book guides you from start to finish. I finally understand agents, publishing houses, and query letters.

Despite the title, this book is actually for anyone. Many adults who have their first manuscript (or even a second, third, or more) aren't sure of the publishing industry and need some advice--if you, regardless of any age, want to lea
Hannah
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK! It is invaluable -- no, a necessity -- for all writers out there who wish to someday pursue their dream of being published, teenage or otherwise. There is so much about the industry to learn, and for an inexperienced teenager like me, this book is the perfect map to help you navigate this strange and scary world. It is helpful. It is concise and to-the-point. It is easy to understand. It's even funny! To all teen writers: Put this book on your wish list! I guarantee you will n ...more
Ashley Tegart
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
Go Teen Writers is an excellent resource for writers! This is my go-to writing craft book.
Fire
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Go Teen Writers is a wealth of knowledge for any writer, not just teen writers. I have read several books on writing and publishing, most of which have had good content but have been dry and stiff. Go Teen Writers brings some life to the myriad of topics covered as well as a wealth of information in a down to earth way that makes sense. The authors both provide their own experiences and examples to help convey the material. I highly recommend Go Teen Writers to any aspiring author.
Allison
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you’re a writer, I cannot recommend this book enough. I have found that it improved not only my plots, but my dialogue too! It offers great industry tips and through some of Jill and Stephanie’s stories—you can tell they’ve been in your shoes, so to speak. And the way they teach you about the publishing industry? Hilarious.
Micaela
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing, books-i-own
This is one of the best books I've ever read! It is exactly what any author-in-the-making needs to read. Stephanie and Jill explained so many things that I'd never clearly understood. Now I can hardly wait to finish my manuscript so that I can start the editing process!! I highly recommend this book!

• Storyworld First: Creating a Unique Fantasy World for Your Novel
  • Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library (Mr. Lemoncello's Library #1)
  • The Green Ember (The Green Ember, #1)
  • Porch Swing Girl (Tradewinds, #1)
  • Ember Rising (The Green Ember, #3)
  • The Family Under the Bridge
  • Mansfield Park
  • The Bronze Bow
  • The Ology: Ancient Truths Ever New
  • 101 Things Every Girl Should Know: Expert Advice on Stuff Big and Small
  • For Girls Like You: A Devotional for Tweens
  • The Blue Fairy Book
  • The Last Archer (A Green Ember Story, #1)
  • Ember's End (The Green Ember, #4)
  • The Wreck & Rise of Whitson Mariner (Tales of Old Natalia, #2)
  • The Black Star of Kingston (The Green Ember #0.5; Tales of Old Natalia #1)
  • The Holy Bible: English Standard Version
  • North! or Be Eaten (The Wingfeather Saga, #2)
Stephanie Morrill is the author of several young adult novels, including the 1920's mystery, The Lost Girl of Astor Street). Despite loving cloche hats and drop-waist dresses, Stephanie would have been a terrible flapper because she can’t do the Charleston and looks awful with bobbed hair. She and her near-constant ponytail live in Kansas City with her husband and three kids. You can learn more ab ...more