Jump to ratings and reviews

Jupiter Rising - The Columbus Protocols

There is an alternate cover edition for this ASIN here.

The fears of generations are realized in a brilliant flash in the shadowy wastes beyond Jupiter. From a mysterious array appear two alien ships, their vicious intention all too clear as they fall upon a pair of Terran ships battling over ownership of the enigmatic discovery.

They come from Gliese 581g where, in 2008, a message of peace was sent. They are an avenging force, unleashed to deliver a terrible retribution upon a trusted industrial magnate and secret liaison who is now determined to steal their technology. The aliens are powerful, technologically advanced by many decades, and determined to end the human threat.

Captain Ian Walker, recently retired from NASA and at the end of a career that saw him removed from his last command in disgrace, is called back because of his rare combat experience and is given command of the elderly monitor, NASS Centaurus. Captain Corina Sacramento, her crew exhausted and her ship worn out after completing a seven month asteroid survey for the South American Space Agency is waylaid from her return mission to Earth and redeployed to the Jovian moon of Himalia. Commodore Sorscha Cameron, former commander of the European cruiser, Indomptable, is given a field promotion and the impossible task of holding the Jovian System.

Their mission is simple – they are to join the United Nations task group assigned to protect the Terran interests in the Jovian System and shield the excavation of an alien spaceship buried in the ice of Europa. As the Gliesiuns amass a powerful force, and the spacefaring nations of Earth, Luna, and Mars argue over control of defences, all three must fight feelings of self-doubt and fear to rally their task group to defend the future of mankind in the outer solar system.

295 pages, Kindle Edition

First published March 1, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Sean MacUisdin

8 books74 followers
I imagine myself as a man of the frontier, even though I was born in the Okanagan Valley and live on Vancouver Island. It is perhaps the close proximity of nature that fosters this little fantasy of mine - I can sip a French roast in the morning, confront a bear in the afternoon, and then relax with a Cabernet Franc in the evening. I have always loved the wild and the unknown whether I was tramping through the woods around my home town of Summerland, pushing through the bogs and trees of the forests of Southern Vancouver Island, or travelling further afield to the North Coast of British Columbia. It was this love that led me to a career in the Royal Canadian Navy and the opportunity to walk the streets in China, explore the sleepy towns of Hawaii, swim the beaches of Okinawa, hike alpine ridges in Alaska, and most importantly, explore the rainforests of British Columbia. It was the navy, combined with my love for science fiction that led me into a career as an independently published writer of science fiction and fantasy.

I love science fiction. I grew up on the original Star Trek, original Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, and Space 1999, then graduated to STNG, DS9, Red Dwarf, and finally to the new Battlestar Galactica. I was inspired to write military science fiction and vowed to give it the gritty slant that I often miss in popular science fiction. In the Navy, I sailed on many ships living in cramped quarters, often eating uninspired food and working long hours. My series of books, Europa Rising, Jupiter Rising, and the upcoming Titan Rising, focus on the difficulties and often unpleasantness of living and operating in space where it takes weeks and months to go from mission to mission and not the hours and days of popular science fiction. It is the challenge of operating on one's own and without support and with communications that can take hours that I find interesting; it seems to hearken back almost to the age of sail.

I also love westerns. This perhaps leads me back to my frontier fantasy; that fleeting existence on the very edge of the wilds where danger and a frightening darkness lurk. This is a world of my imagination - of safety in a civilization surrounded by an ocean of the wild unknown. This is also the world of my second series, The Scarlet Bastards. Set in an inhospitable colony twenty light years from Earth, it is the memoir of a young runaway who joins a United Nations chartered army of the downtrodden and poor for service off-world. It is an existence on the back of a tundra camel fighting gangs and war lords and thanking each day's sunset for yet another day of survival and hating it for another chance of death the following dawn.

Finally, I love the myths of my Celtic people: the tales of Fionn Mac Cumaill, Cu Chulainn, selkies, red caps, and Pucas. The joy I find in the fundamental belief that the world surrounding us is far more alive than we know has led me to my first urban fantasy, From the Little, the Much is Known. We were not the only immigrants to Vancouver Island in the 19th century, and a young girl in the depths of despair will find that out on a hill top in Esquimalt, British Columbia.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (3%)
1 star
1 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 4 of 4 reviews
Profile Image for Adam Rusic.
9 reviews
May 22, 2013
"Jupiter Rising: The Columbus Protocols" follows the exploits of a small multinational force around Jupiter engaged in antagonistic first contact with an alien species.

MacUisdin uses his own naval background to good effect, showing a mastery of battle strategy and tactics. There's no sci-fi magic here--vehicles have to stop for fuel, use low-tech laser arrays and torpedos, and search vast swaths of empty space for single targets. Rations are bad, the ships are beat up, the crew are sleep deprived and pressed to the limit of endurance in cramped quarters. It's war--ugly, vicious, characterized by a regimented existence interspersed with lightning moments of intense adrenalin.

MacUisdin's characters are driven by past failures, internecine rivalries and the terrible pressures of military command. It's a far-flung, fractured force, tasked by a distant Earth with stopping a technologically superior force. MacUiusdin shows a particular gift for complex intercultural relationships and his gift of the vernacular and cultural idioms is sublime.

MacUisdin's has a talent for confronting the reader with the immediacy of combat--the smells and sounds, and the slow rise of fear as inevitable combat approaches. You will feel like you are in the cramped confines of a ship in battle.

Tautly plotted, the book courses through to a crackerjack ending.

If you like military, near-future science fiction with a driving plot and complex character development, this book will leave you wanting more.
Profile Image for Kurt Springs.
Author 3 books65 followers
August 3, 2014
This review was originally published on Invincible Love of Reading under Kurt's Frontier.

Synopsis:
It is the stuff of science fiction. Since the days of H. G. Wells, it has been the type of story that has intrigued and frightened us. Now it is all too real. From a mysterious array among the moons of Jupiter, two alien ships appear. They savagely fall on a pair of earth ships that had been battling for owner ship of the discovery. Suddenly all petty differences are dropped as humanity finds itself fighting for it’s life.

They come from Gliese 581g. The Gliesiuns are decades ahead of us and only a small force of Terran ships stands between them and the Jovian System. Captain Ian walker who was removed from his command for a stupid mistake, is recalled because of his combat experience, rare in the ranks of the space faring nations of Earth. Given command of an elderly but refitted cruiser, he is sent to assist Commodore Sorsch Caemeron in the impossible task of defending humanity’s presence on Jupiter and her moons.

Review:
Sean MacÚisdin uses his experience from the Royal Canadian Navy to good effect as he spins a tail of humanities first battles with aliens in space. The story is fast paced form the start. When there is no action, then there is suspense as human and Gliesiun warships play cat and mouse before pouncing. The battle scenes are have a rare depth of realism, though MacÚisdin can get a bit bogged down in technical terminology that may be difficult for the layman to follow. He also attempts a degree of linguistic realism by having Commodore Caemeron speak with a thick, Scottish accent. While I normally enjoy this type of flavor, it was thick enough to be more distracting than was intended. All together, it was an excellent read.
Displaying 1 - 4 of 4 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.