Start by marking “Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1)” as Want to Read:
Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

Anna and the French Kiss

(Anna and the French Kiss #1)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  342,463 ratings  ·  28,521 reviews
Can Anna find love in the City of Light?

Anna is happy in Atlanta. She has a loyal best friend and a crush on her coworker at the movie theater, who is just starting to return her affection. So she's less than thrilled when her father decides to send her to a boarding school in Paris for her senior year.

But despite not speaking a word of French, Anna
Published July 16th 2013 by Speak (first published December 2nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Anna and the French Kiss, please sign up.
Akiko Barreras 6 pages?? It's actually 372. 372 pages of reading bliss and pure perfection :)

·  342,463 ratings  ·  28,521 reviews

Start your review of Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1)
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
“I cheated on her every day. In my mind, I thought of you in ways I shouldn’t have, again and again. She was nothing compared to you. I’ve never felt this way about anybody before—”
What's the saying? Once a cheater, always a cheater? Oh, the fucking hypocrisy.

There were many things I wanted to do to Anna Oliphant throughout this book. Some of them involve a bottle of choloroform, a shovel, and an unmarked grave. Mostly, I just want to bring Anna in fr
Nina ♥
I found this online...NOW WHY COULDN'T THIS BE THE ACTUAL COVER?

description

St. Clair. St. Clair. St. Clair. St. Clair. St. Clair. St. Clair. St. Clair. St. Clair. St. Clair. St. Clair. St. Clair. St. Clair. St. Clair. St. Clair. St. Clair. St. Clair. St. Clair. St. Clair. St. Clair. St. Clair. ST. CLAIR!!!!

Can’t I just fill this review with his name instead of explaining ho
Barry Pierce
When I was four, I fell off a tree. I hit the ground face first. What I didn't know was that there was a very small, sharp root sticking out of the ground at the base of the tree. It went through my cheek. I went to the ER but had to wait until 2am because it was a busy night. I sat there for hours in that ER with a hole in my cheek. When the doctor finally saw me he thought that since it was a busy night and there were so many people in the ER that he would just sew up my cheek without having t ...more
Simeon
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
This book is adorable, I’m not gonna lie.

Wealthy white teenagers having first-world problems.

Anna, the valiant, is plucked from Georgia and “abandoned” by her parents at a boarding school for rich American teens living in Paris, where she collapses into tears at the injustice of it all.

Intrigued? That's only the beginning of this incredible tale.

Sadly, my hopes for a dramatic twist of the Taken variety came to naught
Lily C
Apr 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No thanks..

Watch my full review here:
Zoë
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Update after reading this book for the THIRD time:
Etienne. ETIENNE. The boy of my dreams (well...second place after Will Herondale, but still, that's a high honor). Stephanie Perkins is one of my favorite YA contemporary writers as she has this way of writing books (which really sound SO cheesy plot and title-wise) that leaves you in a puddle of happy tears and hormones after the last page. This book has an inexplicable quality that even after reading the book multiple times, I can fall in
Lola
**5 BRILLIANT STARS**

One lovely word: Étienne

description

Sweet sweet sweet.

I might just have fallen in love.

This story equals exactly: Friday night + rain outside + chick flick + Skittles + chocolate + popcorn + comfortable couch + lovely boyfriend/friends. HEAVEN.

10 Things You’ll Find :

I
Emily May
May 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily May by: Jessica
This is one of the cutest feel-good teen romances I have ever read. It has a bit of everything that you want... humour, a likeable protagonist and a completely swoon-worthy guy called Etienne St. Clair. You could fall in love with the name alone, even without the fact that he's sweet, kind, honest and nothing at all like any of the English boys I grew up with. It's a very cute book, a very nice book, neither is a bad thing but if I start mentioning words like 'cute' and 'nice' in a review you can guaran ...more
Cory
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Twilight, Formulaic Romances, and Annoying "Quirky" Hypocritical Heroines Like Bianca Piper
Recommended to Cory by: Everyone
Edited to Add a Disgruntled Reader's Reply at the Bottom. Apparently, I don't know how to write reviews.

The best thing about this book? The end.

I don't read chick-lit. In fact, I avoid it like the plague. But this book received rave reviews from every single person on my friendlist. So I thought, hey, why not? Maybe this won't be like the formulaic Mary Kate and Ashley movies my teachers made me watch in first grade. Maybe Anna will be smart and witty. And maybe Etienne will be awes
Caitlin
Apr 06, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So, Anna is forced to go to boarding school in Paris (I know! Poor chica!) and she crushes on a guy who already has a girlfriend. They flirt and obsess over each other while he is still dating the other girl. To add icing to Anna’s miserable cake, she is then forced to get mad at her friend who does something despicable: her friend dates a boy that Anna thought liked her instead. Life is just not fair.

I gave this book one star because:
1) Anna is a whiny hypocrite who has very different ideas
Arlene
GOD! I’m giddy... I’m actually giddy after reading this book! Oh and I’m officially a Nook hugger. This book made me a chronic giddy Nook hugger. What a hot mess! But so what I ♥ it. Jolly good book indeed!

Anna and the French Kiss is an absolute hit. It immediately takes top rank in my fave YA romance, chicky-type lit reads and there is absolutely no doubt I’ll be reading this book every year over and over again. The blokes and blokettes are loveable, the storyline is perfect, and the light romance is a thingindeed!
Anna
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”I live here.” I point dumbly at my room while my mind whirrs: French name, English accent, American school. Anna confused.”

This quote! *lol* It about sums up at least 90% of all the teens who ever fell in love and were completely dumbstruck by the sudden appearance of their love interest. And I think this wasn’t just a nice scene but also relatable af. XD

So I apparently enjoyed the book, but unlike the majority of my friends I only gave “Anna and the French Kiss” three stars. I’m sure you
Kiki
What I like about Stephanie Perkins is that her books are fluffy, and they're okay with that: there's no heavy message attached to this as the author attempts to shove an after-school special down our throats. I didn't like that when I was a teenager, and I don't like it now. Sometimes I feel like that's my real problem with contemporary novels - that they want desperately to be didactic in the way that dystopia or high fantasy is but their settings are too literal to pull it off properly. But S ...more
Miranda
Apr 29, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-away
jessica
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
ahhh, paris. the city of lights. la ville d’amour. the perfect setting for any book, in my opinion, and this story only made me fall in love with the city all over again. <3

and thats about the only positive experience that came from reading this. whomp whomp.

i have seen an overwhelming amount of positive reviews for this and thought i was going to be in for a light-hearted and fluffy YA novel, but i was surprised at how problematic i found this to be. and normally that wouldnt bother m
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
“French name, English accent, American school. Anna confused.”

I enjoyed this novel a lot. It's funny, it's sweet and above all it's Paris! I love Paris. Very much.
I read Lola and the Boy Next Door first - I was in Paris, found it in a second-hand bookshop for 2€ and didn't have anything else to read.
I have to say that Anna and the French Kiss is a million times better. Lola mostly annoyed me, but I loved the characters around her.
Anna, however, was great. Yes, she does have her fair share of
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
Anna and the French Kiss: certified #1 cure for your woes. (Drake, that goes out to you.)

So I started off with this as soon as I was done with Colleen Hoover's Hopeless, if only due to sheer boredom + a lack of wifi + because I'd been putting it off for too many months now. Funny thing is I had tremendous expectations for the former and barely any for this one.

But oh, look how the tables have turned.

Lord knows what took me so long to finally get to readingyou.)
Lyndsey
The Hardcover is on sale for $6.80 with free shipping HERE!!

Holy St Clair, hypothetical Batman!

This book put me in a whole new state of consciousness. It put me in the life of Anna. It took me straight to Paris and I never looked back.

When I get desperately into the groove of a book, I literally (okay, fine, figuratively) transform into a hermit crab.

I curl up so tight in the shell of my blanket in that special nook carved out in my chair, so tight that everything else melts away. It's just me and the blanket and the book. Just me and my shell. TheHERE!!
Holy
clara
[minor unmarked spoilers ahead]

what i signed up for: a cute, sweet contemporary
what i got instead: a whole load of girl-on-girl hate and slut shaming, plus an insufferable, ridiculously ignorant protagonist (how on earth do you think that ‘oui’ is spelt ‘wee’?). oh, and did i mention cheating?

case exhibit 1:

on amanda:
“a blonde with a beaky nose and a teeny tank top coos as soon as we get in line… she leans over her friend, a short girl with a severe ponytail, and positions herself for max
/>/>what
emma
a pretty classic reread

--------

the book i thought i would never review!!!

whenever people comment on my one star reviews and are like, i know this book is trash but i love it anyway, my internal response is usually:

but...this book is trash and i still love it.

there's a lil bit of emotional cheating in this, which i literally always hate. there are a couple girl-villains, which, also terrible. it's cheesy and it's all drama all the time and the main
Tatiana
Jul 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Meg Cabot
If you are looking for a feel-good chick-lit to read by your Christmas tree, Anna and the French Kiss is a book for you. This novel is as chick-y a lit as it gets.

Anna is sent to Paris to spend her senior year at a boarding school. Of course she doesn't want to go - her life, her best friend, her potential boyfriend, her little brother and mom are in Atlanta. But Anna doesn't sulk for long, she quickly meets new friends and this one totally hot and totally unavailable boy Etienne St. Cla
Ari
'Oh heavens'... this book was hilarious!!

I loved reading it (twice) and I would read it again simply because it is too cute for words!
It reminded me of myself in high school, and it really felt natural, real.. I can't even tell you what an amazing pleasure reading this book was.

And it's so, so funny, my face hurts from so much laughing ;))

I loved the characters (all of them!), I loved the dialogue (I ju
Brian Yahn
May 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
I'm not a fan of romance, but that didn't stop me from loving All the Bright Places, The Fault in Our Stars, or I'll Give You the Sun. The thing about those books is, they're really about death, more death, and family respectively. Romance is just a small part of the story. Anna and the French Kiss, on the other hand, doesn't have much else going for it, but somehow it works in the beginning.

Your first impression of Anna is that she's this clever tour guide to Paris, France. She wittily introduces herself, and then
Kat Kennedy
Dec 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. This is one of those books that you finish with a big, satisfying, "Awwwwwwwwwwww!"
Jo
Sep 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oh-how-we-laugh, ya, e

"Girl Scouts didn’t teach me what to do with emotionally unstable boys."

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
Urgh, fine. Whatever. I’ll admit it. I swooned… a little. Can we move on?!

High Points.
Anna. Etienne. Paris. Boarding school. Swoon. Clomping boots. Convenient breezes. Canadian flags. Shakespeare & Company (I have a book from there!) One of the sweetest scenes set in Pere Lachaise (Note: Apologies that I have no accents on my Frenchie vowels... my laptop was having a mare. You get the gist.

"Girl Scouts didn’t teach me what to do with emotionally unstable boys."

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
Urgh, fine. Whatever. I’ll admit it. I swooned… a little. Can we move on?!

High Points.
First, obviously. Sewell reference. BOOM.)Chocolat Chaud. Fisticuffs. Notre Dame. Airplanes. Girl Scout cookies. Chocolate moustaches. Dancing on desks. E-mails and New Year’s Eve. Poetry. Briticisms. Victor’s victor.

Low Points.
See bit about Heroine.
See Boy/Girl Angst Scale.
Also… how else do you pronounce ‘directions’? I get the banana/banarna (Thanks Death Proof!)… but directions?! *pouts*.
OH and another thing. I did not go from Year 7 to Year 9 with a mouth full of metal to still be stuck with the whole ‘British have bad teeth’ stereotype!
NOT EVERYONE IN BRITAIN HAS GNASHERS LIKE SHANE MACGOWAN.
So, I do not care for Etienne’s crooked teeth. There… I said it.
*grumbles*

Heroine.
Aww, Anna. You made me giggle and I loved that you were realistically flawed. You were anal and neurotic and you said the wrong things at the wrong time and you dance like a ho when you’re drunk.
I also loved that you had Rogue hair, which I’m going to pretend was intentional so extra Brownie Points for you.
English accents being your kryptonite aside, I really liked you and I would totally go to the cinema with you and talk about films with you and judge you when you ogled a vertically challenged boy when Clark frickin’ Gable is on the screen.
And….OK. I don’t mean this to turn into a rant, but it probably will.
Anna, mate, you’re a film fan.
A film fan.
A fan of the cinema.
CINEMA.
The word alone should give it away.
How did you not know that Paris is cinematically inclined?!
The French practically invented cinema. Literally.
I found it very difficult to believe that Anna could be a super film fan without ever stumbling on a French film that wasn’t Amelie (J’adore, by the way).
Cahiers du Cinema? Godard? Truffant? Auteur theory? Bazin? Cocteau?
Non?
Get thee to Wikipedia, woman.
But fret not, Anna, because I’ve dug out my countless essays on the French New Wave and my dissertation and they are on their way to you.
ENJOY.
Maybe I’m being harsh on Anna because I did enjoy the film chats and I agree, Sofia was robbed.
Yes, I’m definitely being too harsh. You’ve been through a lot. You get shipped off to Paris, the city of lovers and French boys, and ending up lumbered with a short, English man who can’t handle his beer and vino instead of a tall, willowy French man who slinks like a gazelle when he walks who can sup wine all day and not vomit on your legs?
Harsh.

Speaking of short, English men who can’t handle their Strongbow beer…

Love Interest.
Hey Etienne.
I’m going to call you Etienne because I feel like we’re at that stage in our friendship. I know, I know only Anna calls you Etienne but I don’t like calling people buy their second names because I just can’t pull it off. Some people sound cool when they do it… I sound like a complete and utter twat.
Well… I’ll be honest with you, because you strike me as a guy who likes honesty, I couldn’t help but feeling short changed. I was expecting, with a name like Etienne St. Clair, that you would be this delicious hybrid of Gaspard Ulliel’s face and hair and Christophe Lemaitre’s height and adorable way of only speaking like a single word of English (and ability to run 100m under 10 seconds) with y’know… va va voom (said in Thierry Henri’s accent, obviously).
Did I get it? Non.
But as I got to know you a bit better I realised that you are a complete cutie, just not my kind of cutie.
You’re a bit ridiculous (but I’ll go into this later) but your ridiculousness matched Anna’s ridiculousness which was nice. You’re understandably vulnerable. You’re clever. You like history. You can partake in fisticuffs. You like French punk rock. And you know your way around a romantic gesture, which is also lovely.
The afraid of heights things bothered me, even though it was adorable, because sometimes a girl just wants to be taken up the Eiffel Tower without her beloved vomming over the side onto unsuspecting tourists.
Is that too much to ask?
Also, I'll be you some built up socks.
Sorted.

Best Friends.
YES. I want to hang out with these guys all the time. Even though sometimes it would be teeeense because there is a lot of tension within this group.
But also sweetness, reality and genuine caring for each other.
And hot chocolates.

Theme Tune.

Keeping with the French theme..

Sexy Boy by Air.

No explanation needed really.

Also…

High School Lovers by Air.

"I'm a high school lover
And you're my favourite flavour"

From one of my favourite soundtracks ever.
Sofia Coppola reference. Boom.

Boy/Girl Angst Scale.
10/10. Frick. Right… well. Up until about 60% the arrow to the Boy/Girl Angst Scale was teetering around 6/7… which was fine because the eye rolls matched the tummy flips.
But then it all went into italics and CAPITAL LETTERS and a one way trip to Angst Town.
I’m not going to go into it because spoilers lurk within but seriously… Anna. Come on, girl. Don’t make me get the hose.

“I love that the accent over his first name is called an acute accent, and that he has a cute accent.”

*bites tongue*

Also, there were faaaaaar too many people in love with the main characters and faaaaar too many people the main characters were in love with.
Sometimes, I just want to read a book about a girl fancying a boy and a boy fancying a girl without unnecessary faff.

Sadness Scale.
4/10. There were a few genuine ‘Ohhh sadface’ moments. Especially concerning Etienne. But other than that, I think you’ll be OK with this one.
Unless you find the fact that Americans think Girl Scout cookies are a suitable alternative to birthday cake distressing.
Which I really do.
I mean I recently had my first GS cookie experience (Thanks Flann!) and my reaction was pretty much exactly like Etiennes (Rolling around on the floor and whimpering because they were so good) but… nothing will ever beat birthday cake and the inevitable eating it for breakfast the next morning.
Which I.. um, never do.

Recommended For.
People who like to switch off their brains, crawl into bed and read a hilarious and sweet contemporary book. Romantics. People who love Paris. People who love the cinema. People who don’t mind shorties. People who would quite happily live on delicious French bready treats for ever. People who can’t resist the English accent. People who have ever wanted to be sent off to a European boarding school for a year. People who have the urge to dance when they realise there is no one in the building. People who think that sideburns are lame. People who think that Robin flew away and did not lay an egg. People who pronounce directions properly. People who always have and always will wish on eyelashes.

You can find this review and other exciting things on my blog here.
Ariel
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
*** First finished January 6th, 2012
Like everyone says, this is the epitome of YA Romance. It is ADORABLE.

Although I absolutely loved the romance, my favourite part of the book was the setting. I don't know about you, but I haven't heard that much about Paris. Obviously I know about the Louvre, and the Eiffel Tower, and how it's supposed to be the most Romantic City on earth, but really, I didn't have that great a mental picture in my mind. After reading this book though, I NEE
Vanessa J.

Review also posted here (October 18th, 2015)

There are times in which I ask myself: Did I read the book wrong? Everyone seems to love it, even the reviewers I trust or people with the same reading tastes as I rated this book highly. How come I hated it? Did I read another book entirely?

As you may be guessing, this is one of those occasions.

I was promised a cute fun read, but I got nothing of the sorts. Instead, I got one of the most immature and stupid books I’ve ever read in my life.

Anna has the oh-so-perfect life in Atlanta: Friends, al
Taneika
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More of my reviews can be found at Flipping Through the Pages!

EDIT: This review was originally published on Sep 1st 2011 and I have since discovered I do infact enjoy contemporary novels (funny that), although this was my FIRST EVER contemporary YA book and reading back, my review sounds a bit weird tbh. Oh well.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
As you may have noticed, I'm not a huge fan of contemporary fiction, ESPECIALLY contemporary romance... Oh boy, turns out I was wrong that not ALL co
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Ahhh so many feels and angst and agh. I flew through this in a matter of... 24 hours. Literally because of all the back and forth angst. If you know me, I'm here for all the drama and all the feels.

I'll probably write a full review later, but a few things did annoy me or that I had some problems with - like whyyyy Anna was SO mean so much of the time. Egh. I loved all the side characters though, and the whole Etienne thing was handled so realistically, though it was totally depressin
Claudia Ramírez
I really liked this book. It was cute and OH so funny. Anna is hilarious, and so is St. Clair (I always forget how to write his first name). All in all, it was a great book :). Just four stars because the story didn't really catch me until the last third of the book, and I don't know, I expected a LOT more romance, I really was looking for adorable lots of romance and I only got it AT THE END.
places to visit in france 1 4 Feb 21, 2019 06:37AM
Anna, Lola, or Isla? 12 121 Dec 29, 2018 02:01AM
Favorite part and Favorite Charachter! 12 158 Oct 12, 2018 11:56AM
HELP Books bout girl that dont need a guy 10 109 Oct 07, 2018 10:14AM
who would have liked to go to SOAP? 15 152 Oct 07, 2018 10:02AM

• Fangirl
  • To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1)
  • Amy & Roger's Epic Detour
  • Eleanor & Park
  • The Selection (The Selection, #1)
  • Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1)
  • Epic Fail
  • It's Not Summer Without You (Summer, #2)
  • The Fault in Our Stars
  • Rules of Attraction (Perfect Chemistry, #2)
  • My Life Next Door
  • Dare You To (Pushing the Limits, #2)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • Perfect Chemistry (Perfect Chemistry, #1)
  • Uncommon Criminals (Heist Society, #2)
  • If I Stay (If I Stay, #1)
  • Attachments
  • Me Before You (Me Before You, #1)
Hi, there! I'm Steph, and I wrote Anna and the French Kiss, Lola and the Boy Next Door, and Isla and the Happily Ever After. I also edited (and contributed a short story to) a romantic holiday anthology called My True Love Gave to Me and its companion anthology, Summer Days and Summer Nights. My next YA release is a horror novel called There's Someone Inside Your House, which will be released Fall 2017.

I don't read

Anna and the French Kiss (3 books)
  • Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss, #2)
  • Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss, #3)
“For the two of us, home isn't a place. It is a person. And we are finally home.” 7028 likes
“The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you.” 3126 likes