Start by marking “Realmgolds (The Gryphon Clerks #1)” as Want to Read:
Realmgolds (The Gryphon Clerks #1)

Read Excerpt

Realmgolds (The Gryphon Clerks #1)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  65 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
A reluctant, inexperienced and ineffectual ruler must become the leader his people need when an old rival's hate-filled rhetoric foments rebellion.

The young ruler has an ally and mentor, a competent woman who rules the realm to the south. Unfortunately, an ancient magical treaty between their realms means she can’t send in her troops, her skyboats or her pressure guns. Wh
ebook
Published March 2013 by C-Side Media

To ask other readers questions about Realmgolds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Realmgolds

Fayley
This is the second book I've read set in this world and it's really grown on me. The world is obviously well defined in the authors head, but we get only glimpses (no info dumps here), and I'm hoping more is revealed in the other books. If you love character based fantasy with a bit of politics you'll love this as much as I did.
Bob Milne
Mar 27, 2013 rated it liked it
A political fantasy, set in a steampunk world, and populated by high fantasy races. The story of a magical world on the verge of the industrial rebellion, being held in check by hate groups against race and culture. It`s driven by an interesting concept, but it`s the characters who make it work.

Determined is a curious leader, while Victory makes for an interesting ally-slash-foil. Denning is a country falling apart at almost every level, saddled with a dedicated, yet ineffectual leader. There`s
Morgan Alreth
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This story takes place in an alternate world with have humans, dwarves, gnomes, and centaurs. There are also creatures called beastheads, which sound a lot like gnolls. So far it sounds familiar, right? Not so fast. This isn't the Forgotten Realms by any means. Nor is it any other world you are likely to have visited before.

Human society is rigidly stratified with the ruling class called golds, then silvers (merchants), and finally coppers (peasants). The various non-human races have their own
Tywyll
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arr
Though I was under the impression that it was 'steampunk', Realmgolds is more of a political fantasy with skyboats thrown in. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. I enjoyed seeing how Dwarven technology/magic was used in day-to-day life, as if it were electricity, etc. I also enjoyed the sky couriers and their sky horses. Though they only had a small role to play, they fascinated me. I'd read a story focused on them in a heartbeat! In addition, Advisor Against is a sound idea for any ruler.
To me
K. Gorman
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I liked this book. Although it focuses on political action, it was not boring. It has a good pace and some excellent subtext in the dialogue.

By the world, it is clear that Reeves-McMillan has been thorough. It is set in the age of most steampunk, except that this has a higher focus on fantasy, combining a world with Dwarves, Centaurs, Gnomes, Humans, Beastkind and ancient, Elven magic with the early stages of an industrial revolutio
Gregory Lynn
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Realmgolds has a little bit of a lot of things and as such is a little different than, well, everything. It has a little bit of politics, a little bit of war, a teensy weensy bit of romance, a bit of fantasy, a bit of steampunk, a little bibliphilic geekery.

It's good stuff.

A Realmgold is a chief executive in a federalist system of shared power. In this case, a young man named Determined is a somewhat reluctant (and unsurprisingly, ineffective) Realmgold of a country named Denning.

He sees his cou
Valerie Zambito
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by Realmgolds! Reeves-McMillian crafts a unique steampunk world of mystery and political intrigue. We are introduced to Determined, the Realmgold of Denning, a land besieged by hard times and Victory, the queen of a neighboring realm. And, of course, Reliable, Determind’s Secretary.
It is well-written, the characters are interesting and fresh. I can honestly say I’m a big fan. I will definitely be looking for more from this author. Well done!
Melody Daggerhart
Feb 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Set in a fantasy world with steampunk and magic elements, Realmgolds is a story about a civil war. The story starts with Determined having to take the leadership position of his realm and becoming intrigued by advice from Victory, another realm leader, just as his country is beginning to fall apart at the seams over the issue of gnome slavery. The story then proceeds to follow the decision-making processes and events that lead into the actual war itself, and the strategies in how the war was won ...more
Eunice Korczak
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Realmgolds

I thoroughly enjoyed "Realmgolds," getting to know the world and it's people. It is definitely a world to visit again.
Cindy
Nov 26, 2013 rated it liked it
The best way to describe this book is that it is a secondary-world political Fantasy, with steampunk elements and magic. A world populated by not only humans but dwarves, goblins, beastheads and centaurs too. I like secondary-world Fantasy and I love steampunk. Political intrigue has also been one of my favorite topics to read about. I was a bit curious how all these different things would blend together in this book and I have to say it worked out pretty good. I was never bothered by the multit ...more
Richard Abbott
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, steampunk
Realmgolds, by Mike Reeves-McMillan, is set in an alternative world with an earlier level of technology than our own, but where magic is a reality. Mike’s books were my first foray into steampunk as a genre, so initially I was not sure what to expect. Happily I have enjoyed the experience, and am very happy to recommend this book and its successors, and to explore the genre further.

The Realmgolds series, of which this is the first, are not arranged in sequence, but overlap one another and often
David Richardson
The story was OK but the book had elves, dwarves, and gnomes that really aren't my thing. The characters strange names made it hard for me to follow.
Dianne
What is Realmgoldsby Mike Reeves-McMillan? It is Unique, Intriguing, Creative, and definitely thought-provoking! Set in a steampunk-type world, filled with humans and magical beings, political unrest and a cast of characters that are as varied as the colors in a rainbow, even their names seem to hold meaning! In a society built on a class system, golds are the ruling class, silvers are the middle class and coppers are the lower, poorer class.

Determined, (yes, that’s his name) is an intelligent,
Sara Snider
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Realmgolds is a steampunk fantasy novel about Determined, the Realmgold of Denning, who is forced to contend with the eruption of a civil war within his borders. He receives guidance and assistance from Victory, Realmgold of neighboring Koskant. However, a magical treaty prevents anyone from Koskant crossing Denning’s border under arms, so Determined and Victory need to get clever in how they tackle the uprising.

Despite that th
Thomas Ehardt
Feb 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Well written book, just not for me.

There are so many things that are done well in this book, but the bottom line is I simply didn't care for it.

It would sound really negative to say that this book "insists upon itself", but that's the only thing that comes to mind. When an author invents a world, naturally he has to invent a lot of terminology to go with that world. However, a lot of the terminology seemed forced.

Was it well written? Yes. Was the story good? Yes. Was it for me? No.
Nicholas Quirk
Aug 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2013
I thought the book started off strong, but the second half was very battle heavy. My only real criticism is that it was hard to keep track of who was talking during dialog scenes.
Corey
Apr 23, 2016
Wm J Byington
Jun 23, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
For someone with an English degree, Mike Reeves-McMillan has spent a surprising amount of time wearing a hard hat. He's also studied ritualmaking, hypnotherapy and health science.

He lives in Auckland, New Zealand, the setting of his Auckland Allies contemporary urban fantasy series; and also in his head, where the weather is more reliable, and there are a lot more wizards.
More about Mike Reeves-McMillan

The Gryphon Clerks (5 books)
  • Beastheads
  • Hope and the Clever Man (The Gryphon Clerks #2)
  • Hope and the Patient Man (The Gryphon Clerks #3)
  • Mister Bucket for Assembly: A Novel of the Gryphon Clerks
“You know what he has just done?” asked Victory, as she and Determined discussed the speech that evening. “He has deliberately set out to recruit stupid people. If we cannot defeat that, we should just give up and join him.” “Unfortunately,” said Determined wryly, “there are a lot of stupid people.” 0 likes