Start by marking “Chance Assassin: A Story of Love, Luck, and Murder (Chance Assassin, #1)” as Want to Read:
Chance Assassin: A Story of Love, Luck, and Murder (Chance Assassin, #1)

Chance Assassin: A Story of Love, Luck, and Murder

(Chance Assassin #1)

Vincent Sullivan is down on his luck. When a chance encounter generates a job prospect he’s too desperate to decline, Vincent is well on his way to a career in crime. But after the job goes wrong and he’s gravely injured in the process, things couldn’t get much worse. Except that he may have just killed a man.

With the entrance of a mysterious stranger, life is finally
Published March 1st 2013

Start your review of Chance Assassin: A Story of Love, Luck, and Murder (Chance Assassin, #1)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Heather K (dentist in my spare time) by: Shelley
This book was an insane mix of romance and psychopathy... I sort of loved it but, at the same time, felt horrified. Nicole Castle really pushed my limits today!

How is this different from the other assassin books out there? Well, for one, moral ambiguity abounds. The marks (targets) are a mix of good and bad people. They cry, they beg, and I felt their humanity. It was kind of grotesque the way that Vincent enjoyed the killing- and few of the gritty details are spared. Whereas in other books,
Mandapanda
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: various-romance
4.5 stars. Amazing, twisted romance between a cold, murderous assassin and a damaged teen. 16 year old Vincent is living on the streets doing what he has to to survive. He is stabbed one night during a robbery job for which he was to be paid $50. He turns on his attacker then hikes for hours in the snow to get back to his sleazy 'mentor' Charlie. At Charlie's door he collapses into the arms of the most beautiful man he's ever seen, Frank.

Frank is an assassin and Charlie is his handler. There is
Vio
Well this was an experience that's for sure, never have I been so undecided on how to rate a book or had so many mixed emotions. From memory the only other book I can remember giving me this much hell was A Dangerous Man and that was depressingly wretched. It's rough trying to love what is basically a twisted, obsessive relationship. Horrified fascination for the f%$ked up goings on between Vince and Frank are the draw card. It wasn't the murders that got to me the most, it was all
Kat
Mar 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Kat by: Shelley
Two insane and immoral guys who drive cross-country to assassinate cheating husbands and traitorous rats and who also happen to have an edgy romance going on? Oh, baby! And parts of this debut by Castle are an absolute delight to read, not in the last place the clever dialogue. On the other hand, and darn this, Chance Assassin is SO flawed. To start with the very best; the Micky & Mallory Natural Born Killers associations, that Shelley pointed out in her awesome review. The wittiness! The ...more
Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog
~ ~ ~

Anniversary Price Drop to .99 cents - through 3/5/14
Great bOok, craZy fun read!

~ ~ ~

4.75 Stars

Assassins Falling in Love - What could be better?

Quirky
Death
Blood
Off-beat humor

S-T-R-A-N-G-E

Confession: I love assassin books.

It feels so wrong, doesn’t it? How could I cheer for the killers, crave to know more about them. Feel sorry for them. Find them Sexy? Maybe it’s that they’re those – oh, so broken, need to be fixed,
Shelley
4.5 Stars, but I'm rounding up here.

Psst... I apologise in advance to my GR buddies for a too long review, I couldn't help myself - sowwwy.

Chance Assassin is Nicole Castle’s debut novel and it is superb. A clever and twisted highly amoral love story - and it is a love story. Just like Natural Born Killers with Micky & Mallory was a love story (ha!) So too is the story of Frank and Vincent. I mean, murdering sociopaths get to fall in love too, don’t they?

The story begins with 16 year old
Sheziss

When I first read the names of the characters, I remembered Vince and Jules from Pulp Fiction.

They are nothing alike. Except for the bickering. And being capable of doing anything. No scruples or regrets. And the loyalty. They complement each other.

Vincent is a minor, he has not read a whole book in his life, he watches TV till his brain explodes. Frank is much older, he has not seen a film in his life, and reads the same book again and again till the words leak out of his ears.

Frank is naïve.
Rosa, really
I’d never been a very good Catholic. I wasn’t fond of guilt, and our church didn’t employ any of those handsy priests I’d heard such delightful things about, so I saw no reason to attend.
It occurs to me that I use the words “love” & “awesome” a little too freely.

Oh, and “fuck.” I definitely say that word too [fucking] much.

I say this because I want you to know, whoever you are reading this, that when I say…

I…

Fucking…

LOVE…

this book…

This book is FUCKING AWESOME.

I really, really mean it.
I
Simsala
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Black coffee crowd
4,5 stars

Let`s start at the end and why I didn`t give the full five stars.
As much as I liked Vincent`s - the hot-blooded, underage rookie-assassin - voice as first person POV, as much as I laughed and cried with him, fell in love with Frank - the cold-blooded super-assassin - right with him; the HEA was kind of a let down. This is a romance and they are supposed to live happy ever after but did they deserve a HEA (view spoiler)? Um....no!
For
Emma Sea
Mar 06, 2013 rated it liked it
0 - 76% = 3.95 stars
77 - 100% = 1.5 average (some bits are a 5, some are a 0.02)

The last quarter managed to thoroughly and methodically negate everything I enjoyed about the first 3/4. Except when (view spoiler).

I think the author got
LenaRibka

3, 5 stars that could have been 10 stars!

I have to calm me down first.
I can't remember when I was THAT pissed off last time after finishing a book!

The last 15% ruined the whole book for me.
It was 5 awesome stars to 85% and 1,5 WTF-stars for the last 15%.
I can't believe it!!! VERY VERY PITY.

Let me talk about the first 85%.

Unusual love story. LOVE IT.
Unusual main characters. LOVE IT.
Unusual POV. LOVE IT A LOT.
Unusual writing. LOVE IT.

All this together was a real page turner and made an
Nina
Amazing debut. I can't wait for more by Nicole Castle! Little secret: she said on her blog that she's going to write more about Vincent and Frank, but there's nothing decided yet. I'll be stalking her.

Chance Assassin: A Story of Love, Luck and Murder
or, An international super assassin in love with an emotionally unbalanced kid from Podunk, Illinois.

There's no need to talk about the plot, because it's in the blurb up there, but it definitely delivered everything I wanted and more.
I loved loved
Xing
Feb 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF @ 20%

I know I'm gonna be in the minority for this. And I probably didn't give this book enough of a chance. I love violence, and serial killers, and sociopaths galore. Yum! Throw in some blood play and non-con scenes and I'm like a five year old boy who just got the firetruck toy of his dreams for his birthday.

But Chance Assassin just hit all the wrong buttons for me, and I found myself skimming by 10%. My first problem was Vincent. He's six months away from being seventeen, and has pretty
M
I was all set to give this book five stars. How could I not love it? It has strains of Natural Born Killers and The Professional, and reminded me strongly of Richard Rider's genius Stockholm Syndrome. It was so very close to being perfect. But it fell apart in the last quarter, when too many things were happening at once. This book, pared down to just Vincent and Frank, would have been sublime. It was funny in places, yes, but there was an underlying intensity that stemmed from the these two ...more
Debra
This is the craziest book I've read in a long time. The relationship between Vincent and Frank is all kinds of nuts and really somewhat sweet, and I could not get enough of these two.

When we meet Vincent, he is just shy of his 17th birthday, homeless and broke and bleeding out from a knife wound. He manages to make it to the hotel room of Charlie when the door is answered by Frank, the man of his dreams, just before he passes out. We start to get the story of Frank and his handler Charlie, as
Jenni Lea
What. The. Fuck?!?!?

This book was all kinds of sick, twisted, insane, depraved, perverted awesomeness...

...until the end.

When I first started reading, I thought, "Oh this is gonna be so good!" Then about a third of the way through I was feeling a bit green at all the horrifying events happening and I had to put the book down and assure myself that no, I am NOT a pedophile; I'm just reading about one. I had to go read about some rock stars (love you Evan and Jesse!) to cleanse my palate before I
Christina
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, crime
2.5 Stars

The idea of this book was great, but it failed in execution. I'll keep this short and sweet. I had problems with it from the beginning. I never bought the reason why (view spoiler)

The middle dragged and there was a lot of telling and not showing. I was bored with
Skye Blue ☆*~゚ლ(´ڡ`ლ)~*☆
I LOVED THIS!

Oh, I would want Antony Star to be Frank....
I mean....

Oh, yes..Perfect Frank...really...see

Okay...my brain just fizzled out looking at Antony Star.

But really this book was great. It didn't shy away from being killers. No crap like..."Oh, I only kill bad guys" Or passing on a job because of ethics. Cheating husband? BANG! Testifying against a drug lord? BANG? Stole my parking spot? BANG! Refreshing that the author didn't try to make Frank into an ethical killer.

I did get a little
K.A. Merikan
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
DONE! :D Wow, I haven't read a book this fun in a long while. I love bad guys in love and assassins who aren't crybaby-pussycats which is often the case with romance novels (or they end up being undercover cops and actually all nice and good ;) )
I loved the dynamic between Vincent and Frank. Vincent's narration had me laughing out loud lots of times and his cold blooded attitude, excitement about aggression and murder was an exciting addition. I love being taken on a journey by an author and
SueC
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A Perfect Pair of Nut Jobs.

This is a story about love at first sight between two exceptionally amoral critters.

I absolutely loved Vincent and thoroughly enjoyed 'living' the story through his unique POV. He's hilarious and cheeky and altogether insanely in love with the apple-of-his-eye, Frank.

Vincent's love/lust/obsession never wavered and it was adorable in the most rotten way. Here's an example of how he sees Frank:

His face was badly bruised and swollen and altogether painful looking, but
Crispy
Intensely bleak brat fic. Tall, dark and deranged assassin meets horribly abused boy with the looks of an angel and the morals of an alley cat. Love, redemption and numerous violent murders ensue. HEA. I am somewhat gobsmacked.
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
Holy. Hell!

This book messed me up and I loved every perverted, dark, twisted, inappropriate minute of it. Every minute. There is not one thing about this book that I hated and I don't know what the hell that says about me. Ha! Chance Assassin had everything I love, the dark and twisted world with a sweet love story floating around in the murkiness. And this is not two sweet guys in a dark world. This was two screwed up characters in a screwed up world, doing absolutely FUCKED UP things.

It's so
Trio
Wow, this book was amazing - I literally had no idea what was going to happen next and the author did such a great job of building the tension.

I always felt like there was so much going on that I just missed my first time through this book, I am shelving it 'to read again'...

Fantastic character development and very unique story, and as I mentioned above, really great pacing. Highly recommend.
Lou
rtc I have wanted to read this book for an entire year and now I've read it and there are so many feelings
Sheri
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ummm. Wow. Ohh. I'm at a loss...
I shouldn't have liked this book. It ticks uncomfortable boxes galore.
But I did.
I shouldn't have adored Vincent and Frank. They are cold-hearted killers.
Or are they?
This tale of love, luck, and murder took me by surprise and left me craving more of their craziness.
I do wish V was a bit older...or Frank was a bit younger...kind of squeaked me out a bit.
Deb echoed my thoughts almost exactly!
agirlwithoutwings
Nov 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
Everything here felt dull for me! The characters, the adventures, all the weird things written to amuse the reader, they just frustrated me at first and then made me BORED! I couldn’t feel anything about it except trying hard to finish the book, I knew it’s not going to get any better anyway.
Lila

5 Stars read for me.

I struggled for quite some time how to write this review simply because I don't think that there's anything I can write that can do justice the awesomeness that this novel is.
My friend asked me to describe her the book that got me so excited in one sentence and I said to her:
"It's a very dark love story, but funny and positive in Tarantino kind of way."

If it was me, I would be all over it after this description, but this book features very twisted or distorted love
S. Hart
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is quite impressive, and for the price I was so glad that I decided to grab it. It was a bargain.

The characters in it are very well described, and by 10% of the way through I already felt that I knew them. Especially Charlie, why does every town in America have a Charlie?

The character Frank has the same pull and allure that a vampire would. Tall, dark and creepy. His eccentricities make him very alluring, and reading Vincent's descriptions of him were surprisingly enough to make me
I Dream of Dragons and Unicorns
INFINITE STARS. INFINITE!! I'm throwing ALL the stars at this one ... because, WOW!!!!

This is one of those moments where I truly wish GR had more stars in their rating system, because, did I mention? This book (and the author, Nicole Castle) deserves ALL of them <3!!!

This book, these men, this series ... definitely amongst my rare absolute favorites :-)!!

I have much more to say but in the meantime, seriously, READ THIS BOOK!!!!!!
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
This is probably one of the fucking nuttiest books I've ever read, yet I say that with the highest level of affection. It mentions some incredibly dark themes and issues, yet when presented by our MC Vincent, there is no time for sadness or horror to linger before we're once again swept away in this whirlwind of utterly bizarre mind fuckery.

I don't think I've ever read a book like this and I can't decide whether that is a good thing or not. I've been thinking about this review for a while, or,
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Tallowwood
  • Dead Speak (Cold Case Psychic #1)
  • Witchblood (Kitsune Chronicles, #1)
  • Hidden in Darkness (In Darkness, #1)
  • Earth Fathers Are Weird
  • Trick Roller (Seven of Spades, #2)
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • Call the Coroner
  • Deception in Darkness (In Darkness #3)
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • Secrets & Lies
  • The Last Text
  • The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)
  • Ground Zero (Zero Hour, #1)
  • Best Man (Close Proximity, #1)
  • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
  • My Fair Captain (Sci-Regency #1)
Nicole Castle was raised in New Mexico. She now lives in Oregon. Chance Assassin: A Story of Love, Luck, and Murder is her first book.

You can reach her on Goodreads or Facebook, as well as view Frank and Vincent's continued adventures at:

Chance Assassin (4 books)
  • Les Recidivists (Chance Assassin, #2)
  • The Inauspicious List (Chance Assassin, #3)
  • Old Wounds (Chance Assassin #4)
“How could I not be in love with a man who folded something after strangling me with it?” 14 likes
“Frank took my hand and pressed it to his lips. Considering that my knuckles were bruised from punching him in the face, it should’ve come with the romantic gesture of the year award. Or a restraining order.” 9 likes