Start by marking “The 7th Woman (Paris Homicide, #1)” as Want to Read:
The 7th Woman (Paris Homicide, #1)

Read Excerpt

The 7th Woman (Paris Homicide #1)

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  420 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
An alternate cover edition can be found here.

There's no rest for Paris's top criminal investigation division, La Crim'. Who is preying on women in the French capital? How can
Paperback, special limited print edition, 220 pages
Published February 25th 2013 by Le French Book (first published November 15th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The 7th Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 7th Woman

Thomas
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Translated mystery fans
Shelves: french-crime
This is the first book in the Paris Homicide series. I have already read and enjoyed two books in the series. Nico Sirsky is the head of "La Crim", the elite Paris police criminal investigation department. There are about a hundred officers charged with solving crimes. They are called to the scene of a horrific murder on Monday. Then another murder on Tuesday. There is a message in the victim's blood: "Seven days, Seven Women."
The police do find the killer, but not before more women are murdered
Julie
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
The 7th Woman by Frederique Molay is a Le French Book publication. Originally published in 2006, this book was made available in digital format and translated into the English language in 2012. The translator is Anne Trager.

Set in France, Nico Sirsky is the thirty-eight year old chief of police. He is one of the youngest men to have this position. The job is taking a toll however, and he is the doctor's office having his stomach examined for possible ulcers.

In the meantime, a serial killer begin
Margitte
Anne Trager did the world a favor when she decided to translate French crime novels for our pleasure. What a joy!

The blurb points it out very well:
"Winner of France's prestigious Prix du Quai des Orfèvres prize for best crime fiction, named Best Crime Fiction Novel of the Year, and already an international bestseller with over 150,000 copies sold."

Well, dive into the life and world of the French super cop, Chief of Police, Nico Sirsky, when one after the other female bodies appear on their compu
Carolien
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: eur, 2016, french-crime
This is an excellent start to the series. The plot moves a long at a cracking pace, the details are authentic and I enjoyed the setting. The book is well translated and reads easily. I look forward to more in the series.
John
Mar 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A serial killer is stalking Paris, his announced plan being to murder a woman a day for seven days. It soon becomes obvious that his campaign has as its target Chief of Police Nico Sirsky, who's in charge of the investigation, and that the cause of the wrath that the madman's so violently expressing lies somewhere in his childhood. Can Nico catch him before the killer makes Nico's new girlfriend his final victim?

I came to this book having been recommended to it and expecting to like it far more
Sanda
Though I have been to France a number of times over the years and know quite a bit about French culture, I admit to not knowing almost anything about their judicial and police system(come to think of it, I am kind of grateful for not having any first hand experience with the french police). Even though this is my favorite genre and I am frequently drawn to works of the authors from non-English speaking countries, again it dawned on me that I have not read much in terms of French crime/murder mys ...more
Trish
Mar 26, 2013 rated it liked it
At the end of my review for The Prone Gunman by Manchette, I mentioned that I have been choosing things “French” over all others since watching the TV series Spiral on Netflix streaming. This latest read was Winner of France's prestigious Prix du Quai des Orfèvres for best crime fiction in 2007 and has won slightly higher marks on Goodreads than other winners of that prize in recent years. It is also one of the few that have been translated into English.

In this novel we are treated to a crime th
Chris
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoy mysteries and recently I have been trying to read mysteries from different parts of the world and have found it very interesting to see how these types of stories play out in different cultures.  Cotteril’s Dr. Siri Paiboun series set in 1970’s Laos is full of self deprecating humor and a distrust for authority figures.  Camilleri’s Inspector Montalbano series set in Sicily is dry with an interesting disdain for any sort of procedural method in detection.  Crimes are solved, and the dete ...more
LadyTechie
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received The 7th Woman from Netgalley where I am really due to review this quite some time ago. Boy do I regret waiting. But, when my reading gets extremely fickle I back off of reviewing because I tend to start and stop books that I normally would love when I am in this kind of reading slump and I have been in one for over 6 months. I am glad I finally got into this book. One of the interesting things is I expected it to be more like armchair travel but I realize now that if the author lives ...more
Deborah
Nov 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, edelweiss
Frédérique Molay's The 7th Woman introduces us to Nico Sirsky, chief of Paris's elite Criminal Brigade, as he battles wits with a serial killer who has vowed to kill a woman each day for seven days (hence the title). While Molay's story was entertaining, to call her the French Michael Connelly is overgenerous. Some of her writing was awkward (does anyone refer to women as "chicks" anymore?), which may be attributable to the translation from French to English. More importantly, her red herrings w ...more
Linda Baker
May 29, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
A serial killer is loose in Paris with the intention of killing seven women in seven days. It falls to the elite squad of investigators, "La Crim", headed by Nico Sirsky. Nico is a rising star and as the investigation continues and the bodies pile up, it becomes apparent that the killer also has Nico in his sights. False clues are laid, incriminating and targeting his family.

The 7th Woman is very suspenseful and fast moving. Mme. Molay does a great job of getting us inside the mind of the killer
Marla Madison
This is a book for people who can tolerate gore. I am weary of serial-killer stories that try to outdo one another on creative ways of mutilating people as they are being killed. If you are a reader who enjoys that and also finds a confusing plot line interesting then you will enjoy this book.
Gaele
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, edelweiss
While admittedly not my first go-to reads, I am obsessed with ‘how things work’ in other countries so Frederique Molay’s The 7th Woman was a must grab for me. Both my aunt and cousin recommended it to me in the original French, mine’s not solid enough to attempt that, so this translation by Anne Trager was the perfect compromise.

The first in the series featuring Nico Sirsky, and the quality and pace of this story were second to none. Seven women killed in seven days: the hunt is on to find and
Susan
May 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the Paris Homicide mystery series, first published in 2006, and it won Frances most prestigious crime fiction award. The author has written five novels, three in this series, but this is the first that has been translated into English.

Set in Paris’s top criminal investigation division, LaCrim’, it has a good cast of investigators, psychologists and pathologists, who make up the members of the task force. The head of the division is Chief of Police Nico Sirsky, just thir
Larraine
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This slim paperback packs a lot. It shows that a writer doesn't have to be overly wordy to get his/her point across. The story introduces the read to Nico, son of immigrants from Eastern Europe to France. Nico has risen to Chief before the age of 40. He is divorced with a son he had with his former wife at a relatively young age. Dmitri is growing up and has been living with his mother who suffers from depression and anxiety. When the book opens, Nico is seeing a doctor for a stomach ailment. it ...more
Chris
May 11, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: ARC read via Netgalley. I should note that I read it via Kindle, and the ARC format for kindle was really bad. I have no doubt that this is corrected in the final version.

When I request books from Netgalley, I try to request books that I know with as much certainty as I can, that I will most likely enjoy. If the publisher is going to be kind enough to let little me read an ARC, then I should at least request only those I have a strong interest in. My interest in this was lukewarm, bu
Denise
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 out of 5 stars -- First in a new series (Paris Homicide) set in Paris, France, and featuring Nico Sirsky as Chief of Police in the criminal investigation division or La Crim.

The first victim is found in her own home, tortured and mutilated. The second woman is killed in the same manner. A serial killer has promised 7 victims in 7 days and seems to be taunting Nico. The teams are working around the clock to try to find and stop this sociopath as the victims keep being discovered on schedule.
Carolyn Injoy
The 7th Woman, A Paris Homicide Mystery by Frédérique Molay is a riveting book about a serial killer who is tantalizing the police.

He has targeted Chief of Police Nico Sirksky who must race against the clock to solve this as the serial killer gets closer to his inner circle, including his son and a potential new love.

Because it kept me guessing, I gave it five stars.

I received a complimentary kindle copy from Le French Books and NetGalley. That did not change my opinion for this review.

Link to
Marina Sofia
Jul 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Great pace, good solid procedural, some promising characters. I think this is the start to what could potentially be a corking series. This first one, however, did feel a little bit like it was trying to hard to tick all the serial killer boxes.
Dee
Jan 26, 2015 marked it as started-but-not-finished  ·  review of another edition
ebook loan from library expired, waiting on it to be available again
Kathy
later for this - requires strong stomach off the bat and right now I am still weak after fighting off high fever, nausea, etc. Wait for a serial killer mood.
Kathy Davie
First in the Paris Homicide mystery/police procedural series revolving around Chief of Police Nico Sirsky.

In 2007, The 7th Woman won the Prix du Quai des Orfèvres for best crime fiction and Best Crime Fiction Novel of the Year from Lire Magazine.

My Take
I was underwhelmed, and The 7th Woman is the second French translation I’ve read within a month which has not impressed me. I’m beginning to think it’s a case of writing style: French versus American. American style places an emphasis on show, pul
Don
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro entretenido, una buena policíaca que, sin embargo, no escapa de caer en lugares comunes del género y que guarda un gran parecido con otras novelas también francesas del mismo estilo como las de Pierre Lemaitre.

El asesino resulta fácilmente predecible pues los subtextos en los que la autora intenta esconder el leitmotiv del antagonista resultan evidentes.

Con todo y esto, es un libro fácil de leer, que cumple su misión: entretener y que puede darle un buen rato a los amantes de la novela
Nicki
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
French mystery

I liked several things about the book. I liked that the author did not rush the story. I liked the mystery. I admit I figured it out quickly. But the details allowed for other outcomes. Nico was a good character that held my interest. Overall a good story.
Bridget
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nico Sirsky is back, recovering nicely from his last brush with a killer. His next case? An apparent suicide takes an unexpected turn. Can Nico uncover the twisted intentions of a very determined killer?

The story:
Nico is in a good place in his life. His relationship with Caroline is going well, and his son is happy. Nico’s injury from his previous adventure is on track, and he is in the middle of working a high profile jewellery case. The only fly in the ointment is his ex-wife’s disappearance,
Zeb Kantrowitz
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-read
This is the first book of Frederique Molay that has been translated into English. The main protagonist is Nico Sirsky, the Chief of CID (Criminal Investigation Division, the Crim) in Paris. He is strong willed and assertive and well-liked and respected by his colleagues. But his life is about to change dramatically.

He is called out to a particularly brutal murder. The victim has been flogged, stabbed in the abdomen and then had her breasts removed. Absolutely NO clues or evidence has been left b
Ted Lehmann
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing

The 7th Woman by Frédérique Molay translated from French by Ann Trager (Le French Book, 249 Pages, $16.95/$9.95) is a gripping police procedural with huge and successful elements of sheer terror built in as the plot races along to a not clearly seen, yet satisfying ending. Nico Sirsky is the Head of the Paris Criminal Investigation Division, referred to as le Crim throughout the book, an elite corps of high quality detectives supported by crack teams of specialists in a range of disciplines. As
Leah
Jun 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, new-to-me, 2013
Seven Days, Seven Women...

When Marie-Hélène Jory is found murdered and horribly mutilated in her apartment, it seems as if she may have been killed by someone close to her. But when a second body is found the next day along with a chilling message for Chief Nico Sirsky - 'Seven Days, Seven Women' - it's obvious there's a deranged serial killer at work in Paris. And every day another woman will die unless Nico can catch the killer...

This is a fast-paced police procedural set in Paris. The author
Tania Godwin-evans
I don’t usually read translated books as quite often the pace of the writing can become stilted due to the translation however; in this case I believe that the essence of the original novel has not been lost, even though some of the translation was too literal in places. The basic plot was compelling although there does appear to be something lacking in the writing style but then again the French style might be different to that normally experienced in England and the USA.

The ‘hero’ of the novel
Cynthia Rodrigues Manchekar
For Full and detailed review, read http://cynthology.blogspot.com/2014/0...

The 7th Woman should have been better titled Seven women in Seven days. Calling it The 7th Woman is an exercise in anti-climax and puts too much emphasis on a character that is the weakest of the many that people this book.

Nico Sirsky is the chief of the Paris police department. Over the course of a week, he and his team find themselves challenged by a serial killer who announces his intention to murder seven women over s
Goodreads Librari...: Book cover help 4 19 Sep 08, 2016 01:34AM
The Mystery, Crim...: Does Anyone Have an E-Copy of The 7th Woman to Share? 4 27 Oct 22, 2014 02:38PM
Goodreads Librari...: Book cover change 4 16 May 21, 2014 09:10AM
Mystery Lovers!: Paris mystery giveaway 2 11 Mar 07, 2013 09:01AM
MYSTERY NOVELS B...: Paris mystery giveaway 1 3 Mar 07, 2013 01:39AM
Around the World ...: Paris on the edge of your seat giveaway 1 10 Mar 07, 2013 01:24AM
Francophiles: "impeccably crafted thriller" set in Paris 1 14 Nov 08, 2012 09:46AM
  • The Paris Lawyer
  • The Last Clinic (Darla Cavannah Mysteries, #1)
  • Deadly Tasting
  • The Woman Who Stopped Traffic
  • Thanksgiving
  • Ashes and Bone (Delta Crossroads Trilogy, #3)
  • Shadow Play (Helen West, #4)
  • Present Darkness (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #4)
  • The Brim Reaper (Style and Error Mystery, #3)
  • Beneath the Surface (Sgt. Windlfower Mystery, #3)
  • St Kilda Blues (Charlie Berlin, #3)
  • Beams Falling
  • Winter's Dawn (Age of Alphas, #1)
  • Clean Burn (Janelle Watkins, Private Investigator, #1)
  • The Girl Who Went Missing
  • Never Apologise, Never Explain (Inspector Carlyle #2)
  • The Lying-Down Room
  • Siren of the Waters (Commander Jana Matinova, #1)
Writing has always been a passion for Frédérique Molay, author of the international bestseller The 7th Woman. She graduated from France’s prestigious Science Po and began her career in politics and the French administration. She worked as Chief of Staff for the Deputy Mayor of Saint-Germain-en-Laye, and then was elected to the local government in Saône-et-Loire. Meanwhile, she spent her nights pur ...more
More about Frédérique Molay...

Paris Homicide (4 books)
  • Crossing the Line (Paris Homicide, #2)
  • The City of Blood (Paris Homicide, #3)
  • Looking to the Woods