Start by marking “Electronic Gags” as Want to Read:
Electronic Gags

Electronic Gags

In the year 2013, when the US House of Representatives passed an online spying law called the Cyber Intelligence Sharing And Protection Act (CISPA), Americans thought this was the worst thing that could happen to their privacy and civil liberties. But then they didn’t know that electronic gags were coming.
Now the American government has launched what it calls the National
Published January 5th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Electronic Gags, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Electronic Gags

Start your review of Electronic Gags
Christoph Fischer
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Electronic Gags" by Kudakwashe Muzira is an intriguing futuristic science fiction thriller although neither times nor technology are far ahead from now.
Set in a totalitarian USA governed by a military dictator the book sets a grim future of oppression and state control. Reminiscent of 1984 and great political thrillers we focus on two unlikely heroes. Biologist Freddie is the only person escaping a police raid on their secret rebel meeting while hist best friend Michael is put on death row.
In t
Chloe Thurlow
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The world is in crisis - banks, unemployment, poverty, drones, spy satellites, greedy corporations, democracy sinking beneath a flood tide of corruption, dishonesty neglect and incompetence. It's hardly surprising that the dystopia concept appears in so many new novels.

Thus it is with "Electronic Gags" by Kudakwashe Muzira, who sets his novel in the present dystopia where people are being spied upon and repressed in new and unimaginable ways. Enter the hero of the tale, an overweight, hamburger
Hákon Gunnarsson
I found this for free on Amazon, and thought the plot sounded interesting so I grabbed it. And in many ways the plot is interesting, the world building is okay and characters are diverse enough. I like the way everything works out in the end.

The main problem for me is that it has been published too soon. It almost feels like a draft, rather than a published novel. It's got the all the elements in place, but the finishing touches are left. Dialog is often too formal, suspense points are not work
Valeria Jane
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is set in the not-to-distant future, in what we now call United States of America. A disgruntled veteran, a former hero of the war in Iraq and others, has seized power, with vast popular support. People were equally fed up with Democrats and Republicans, and had their legitimate grievances. When the story begins, it's too late. People have jumped out of the frying pan into the fire, so to speak, or much worse.

So this is fantasy, but kinda close to home.

The hero, overweight Freddie, i
Sonya Dodd
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This tale may seem particularly apt in a world driven by technological advancement and terrorising leaders forever trying to exert their power.
Following the plight of Michael and Freddie who dare to rebel in a country ruled by a cruel and heartless despot, this tale is a journey of determination and hope. Against the odds Freddie battles to rid himself of his feelings of guilt for letting down his friend Michael as he devises a plan to rid people of their electronic gags and kill the president.
W
Christopher Antony
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A gripping story about resistance to tyranny

The gags in “Electronic Gags” are not jokes about computer technology. In fact there is nothing jokey about these gags at all. They're just the latest fiendish invention, devised by the corrupt and all controlling government of President for life Brandon Ward of the 10 provinces of America, to terrorise an already petrified population. This book introduces us to a state which has succeeded the United States of America and which, in its totalitarian meg
Chantal Bellehumeur
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am very happy to have received a review copy of Electronic Gag.

After a rebellious group of people get arrested for conspiring against the government, the president decides to implement one of his employee's new invention. Originally called the Electronic Gag, The National Antiterrorist Surveillance Tool or NAST for short, would be given to each citizen of the US to monitor their locations and spoken words...

When then main character hears about the mandatory program, the National Antiterrorist
Shadow
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Yes, Big Brother is back and he is now more sophisticated and more than he was in the year 1984. Big Brother no longer relies on the telescreen; he now has electronic gags. You pay him whenever you speak. When you speak without paying, the electronic gag that Big Brother put on your neck shocks you with its electroshock belt. When you speak words that Big Brother dislikes, the electronic gag starts recording you. Big Brother knows all your whereabouts because the electronic gag has a tracker. Ye ...more
Catrina Taylor
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great dystopian story

If the writer can continue this story, then this is the birth of a great series. I liked this book and I couldn’t put it down because I was desperate to find out what would happen to Freddy and Jennifer. This is one of the best dystopian books I have read this year.
Angel Sefer
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Privacy is Dead! Big brother no longer uses telescreens as he did in 1984, now he has got electronic gags.

This book gripped me from page 1 to the very end. I liked the suspense and the humor. I also liked the fact that this story has no super heroes. We have ordinary folks fighting for their freedom survival. Set in a futuristic America like The Hunger Games, Muzira’s Electronic Gags is a very original thriller which satirizes governments that spy on their citizens.

I judge stories by their plots
T.L. Brown
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great read, very interesting. My only complaint is that the narration seems to constantly switch between first and third person perspective with little understanding of it. I'm talking within the same paragraph.

I'd recommend a good editing by someone experienced that isn't the author. Again, a great read.
Arcoma Gonzalez Lambert
Keeps your heart pumping...

Definitely need to read more from this author. Descriptions were perfect, I could imagine it all in my mind as if watching a movie.
John Sammons

• EHuman Dawn
  • Permanent Record
  • Life on Foot: A Walk Across America
  • Nobody's Boy
  • Heart of Ice (Critical IF gamebooks)
  • The Violinist's Thumb: And Other Lost Tales of Love, War, and Genius, as Written by Our Genetic Code
  • Out Of Control
  • Say You're Sorry (DCI Campbell McKenzie #1)
  • Kilimanjaro Diaries: Or, How I Spent a Week Dreaming of Toilets, Drinking Crappy Water, and Making Bad Jokes While Having the Time of My Life
  • Eat The Rich
  • We
  • The Best Way: El Camino de Santiago
  • Shredded
  • Swab
  • When the Chips Are Down
  • The Perfect Candidate (Lance Priest #1)
  • Polarities (Pendomus Chronicles #2)
I fell in love with writing while I was at school. I quit my job as a graphics designer to concentrate on my writing. I believe that restricting myself to a genre will limit my creativity. If I get a good idea for a story, I will go for it whether it is sci-fi, crime, children's or paranormal.

I am currently working on a political sci-fi thriller I call "Electronic Gags", which I hope to finish in

News & Interviews