Start by marking “Сивия кон” as Want to Read:
Сивия кон

Сивия кон

(Ariadne Oliver #5)

"Wickedness...such wickedness...."
The dying woman turned to Father Gorman with agony in her eyes. "Stopped....It must be stopped....You will...."

The priest spoke with reassuring authority. "I will do what is necessary. You can trust me."

Father Gorman tucked the list of names she had given him into his shoe. It was a meaningless list; the names wer of people who had nothing
Published 1992 by Български писател (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Сивия кон, please sign up.
Greg Hi Terry Lee, there is a trivia question right here on goodreads which does answer which Shakespeare play is mentioned. But I'm not sure it was Miss…moreHi Terry Lee, there is a trivia question right here on goodreads which does answer which Shakespeare play is mentioned. But I'm not sure it was Miss Marple who mentions it, I don't remember.(less)

Start your review of Сивия кон
Jeffrey Keeten

A certain Mrs. Davis dies suddenly in a boarding house. Her death is not remarkable, but the list of peoples names that she shared with a priest before dying turns out to be very interesting indeed. This list includes the names of some people who have recently died of natural causes, or was it? When the priest is found murdered, the police are confounded by how it all ties together.

Mark
carol.
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christie fans
Shelves: mystery, classic
Imagine: a Christie I hadn't read. Ever. But I've re-read enough Christie in my adult life to know that sometimes she works well, sometimes less so. Which would this be?

It turns out, a strange mix of classic Christie, modern Christie, Christie commentary and something unfinished that makes it a most odd kind of book.

It begins with Christie's traditional rather anonymous, milquetoast narrator, something along the lines of Roger Ackroyd. He is supposed to be working on his latest manuscript on
Richard Derus
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I watched the new adaptation on Prime. I've also seen the ITV's two versions, a not-good 1990s film and the weirdly contorted Agatha Christie's Marple version; and oddly enough the book was cheap on Kindle a few years ago, so I gave that a peruse when I saw this version was coming; I should, at this point, be able to teach a workshop in Christie Adaptations.

The new one is very, very pretty. Rufus Sewell, as Mark Easterbrook, is very, very pretty. Mark's flat, the village of Much Deeping, his
Veronique
Re-read in light of new tv adaptation coming out in Feb 2020 with Rufus Sewell.
With the material here, I can well see this being rather dark and scary... Ill post more once I see it :O)

"Evil is nothing superhuman".`

As much as I love Poirot and Marple, there is something even more appealing to a Christie book with a totally unknown 'investigator'.

Mark Easterbrook senses all is not what it seems in a series of events that lead him to look into The Pale Horse. The narrative follows him as well as
Ken
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dame Agathas first novel of the 1960s demonstrates that not only does she have her pulse on current trends, while also writing another brilliant engaging mystery.

Opening in a Chelsea coffee shop our main protagonist Mark Easterbrook witnesses an argument between two girls, when Mark learns that one of those girls has subsequently died and is included on a list of surnames of a recently deceased priest he soon fears that the other names are marked for death.

Whilst the trendy London setting really
Vikas Singh
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-book
Christie at her poisonous best. What sets apart this novel from her other writings is the development of the plot is not linear. There are interesting diversions to keep you glued till end with great deal of occult and witches in the plot. The inspiration for solving the murder appears to be too sudden. Mrs. Oliver without her friend Poirot manages to add that extra bit of fun and frolic.
Stephen Robert Collins
I have seen to versions of this done TV the ITV version had Miss Marple in it and was ghastly. The last was even worse the BBC did set in 1961 but was not right.
Agatha Christie did lot of Hercule Poirot books and Miss Marple but she also did stand alone books such as And then their were None this one of those. One of her much later mystery books towards the end of her life with Macbeth hint and biblical over hints. Behold a Pale Horse and his name was death. She did love her poisons
Nandakishore Varma
A mystery which contains non of the Christie regulars (except Mrs. Oliver), which was surprisingly much better than I expected from the lukewarm first half. The discovery made by Mrs. Oliver gives the vital clue for solving the mystery - interestingly, it was instrumental in saving a person's life also in the real world.

(view spoiler)
Susan
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Published in 1961, this is a later Agatha Christie novel, and a slightly different plot to that which you might be expecting. This is not a cosy mystery, set in a stately home, amid the drawing rooms of the aristocracy. Rather, this has a feel of Dennis Wheatley about it, with a real sense of the supernatural.

A dying woman gives her last confession to a Catholic priest. Father Gorman is troubled by what she tells him and, on the way home, he scribbles a list of names she has given him and tucks
Hannah
Jun 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, mystery
Extremely dark and chilling - read with a stuffed animal or a huggable friend nearby! Very thrilling and powerful read, and definitely my favourite non-Poirot or Marple mystery, hands down. Definitely a tense and creepy affair; the atmosphere is very much like what I would imagine the dark streets of Whitechapel would be during the late 19th Century. Mark Easterbrook is a loveable hero, intelligent and brave, and you can't help but be nervous and root for him at the same time as he plunges ...more
Lata
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember rereading this Christie several times in high school. I really enjoyed this non-Poirot and non-Marple story of the deaths of various people from flus and other normal causes. And if it weren't because of a number of odd little things about these deaths setting off main character Mark Easterbrook's questions, and the wonderful Ariadne Oliver's emphatic statements pushing Mark in useful directions, and the murder of a parish priest, the baddie could conceivably have continued on with ...more
Mara
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started super strong, got a little wonky midway through, but totally delighted me with the ending! I thought I was reading one type of Christie tricks (type A) but it was actually a totally different type of mystery (type b), and it has been so long since Ive been totally faked out by her. The type b version of mystery is so much more my kind of Christie, anyways, so that made me happy. Overall, this gave me all the happy, cozy Christie vibes, and Im now super interested to see the new ...more
mark monday
Choose Your Own Adventure!

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

If youve decided that youve had your fill of dying, then choose http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

If youve decided that youve had enough of living, then choose http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
F.R.
Aug 03, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Early in this novel a character muses about how best to portray the Witches in a production of Macbeth. Its his contention that rather than pushing up the weirdness so the sisters become something which could feasibly fit into a pantomime, they are instead portrayed as the kind of normal if slightly sinister old ladies who are frequently dismissed as witches in English country villages. As apparently all English villages have witches (a fact which all country folk know), and it would just be ...more
Jammin Jenny
I really liked this Agatha Christie story featuring Mrs. Ariadna Oliver. A priest is murdered and found with a list of names in his pocket. Did one of them murder the priest? Who is the murderer? Mrs. Oliver helps the local police find the murderer and bring him to justice. It was a good story, and I liked the characters. I do feel though that parts of it were "phoned in" so I only gave it three stars.
Obsidian
The non-Poirot or Jane Marple books are usually hit or miss for me. However, Christie does a great job with this one. The book is slow moving at first. We follow a man named Mark Easterbrook who narrates the majority of the book. Initially we don't exactly know what's going on, we just know that there are some deaths that are somehow linked to a place called "The Pale Horse." It took me til about the 20 percent mark to get really into the book. I liked Easterbrook and was delighted with Mrs. ...more
Crime Addict Sifat
Remember the word : Wickedness

A Catholic priest is killed on his path home from giving the last ceremonies to a lady. He has a list of names in his shoe of detached individuals who have all kicked the bucket resoundingly from normal causes.

Check Easterbrook witnesses battle between two lady in which the hair turns out in bunches without recognizable agony. At that point there is the secretive Pale Horse Inn now shut and involved by three abnormal lady who broadcast to be witches and mystics.
Dan
Atmospheric, dramatic and a great read.

Witches, murder, black magic all the ingredients for a page turner that kept me guessing up to the last chapter.

A really good stand alone Agatha Christie Book
Vicki
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audio-books
The pale Horse is a really dark mystery. There are scenes that are just down right creepy. There are spells and threats that lend a spooky air to this book.

I listened to the AudioBook and found it very intense during those witch scenes. The mystery begins with the murder of a Catholic priest. He has a list of names in his shoe and that turn out to be a list of dead people. When Mark Easterbrook begins to look into this mystery because his godmother is on the list. Mark was a great character. He
Tara
Loved loved loved this! Read by the inestimable Hugh Fraser (aka Captain Hastings), which is quite delightful, despite the lack of Hastings or Poirot in the story. It has murder, it has mystery, supernatural seances, and even a bit of romance. A great stand alone tale that shows why Christie was the master (or mistress) of mysteries.
Robert Vanneste
I was a bit disappointed. This is the weakest Christie book I've read but still entertaining.
Kwoomac
I was quite happy with this one. At first I thought it might be dated. Written in 1962, she writes about hip, rich, young girls playing at being poor. I was afraid it was going to be full of silly 60's lingo, man. You dig? But it wasn't.

I like that Christie never takes herself too seriously. One of her characters was an author of mysteries, who was having writer's block. She and the protag, Mark, talked about the three witches in Macbeth and how they should be portrayed as regular women, not so
Beverly
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great mystery, even though there is no sign of Miss Marple.
Laurel Young
Oct 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oluseyi Bakare
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is certainly a work that an African reader (like myself) will find fascinating and highly gripping. However the conclusion here would shatter what the likes of me would have hitherto been led to believe: so a white, western writer can write so convincingly about the true powers of juju (occult) !Agatha Christie is (was) of course a down to earth western writer, and at the end she coolly and rationally explains the events of this work which one could have sworn could only have been due to
Suzanne
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This one was kind of spooky and a good mystery. Although I enjoy Poirot and Marple, I didn't miss them in this one - the narrator was strong, and the story sure kept me guessing!
Moonlight Reader
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went into The Pale Horse without much hope that I would enjoy it - I'm down to the last 8 (now 7) Christie novels, and I'm reserving the ones that I thought would be the best bets for enjoyment to the end.

The Pale Horse was published in 1961, between A Cat Among the Pigeons and The Mirror Crack'd From Side to Side. It's not a book that shows up on the best - or worst - lists of Christie mysteries, so I knew almost nothing about it.

My first pleasant surprise occurred on page 8, when Ariadne
Claire
An enjoyable read, but less interesting than the series with Miss Marole and H.Poirot.
The story feels at the same time very modern and overtaken by time. The naivity regarding the paranormal issues struck me. And I wondered if A. Christie was a bit of a future teller herself reading her remarks on automatisation:-)
Linda
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2019
Unfortunately I listened to the full cast dramatized audiobook, which was only an hour and a half long, instead of the usual Hugh Fraser narration of the entire book. The dramatized version was actually very well done, its just that I had a hard time keeping track of who all the characters were, and I missed all the details given by the narrator of the book. Im guessing I would have given this book 4 stars if I had read or listened to the book in its entirety. ...more
Lorraine
This is a standalone novel. It begins with the killing of a Catholic priest after hearing a woman's dying confession. The police are at a loss as to who killed him. Meanwhile, Mark Esterbrook, a professional writer, hears of a place called The Pale Horse, a former pub now owned by three woman who appear to be involved with the occult. Could these woman have killed by setting a spell? Mark sets about learning more and attends a seance to set a curse.

This was a strange story, but a very readable
Reading the Detec...: July 2018 - The Pale Horse - SPOILER Thread 66 50 May 28, 2019 03:12PM
Agatha Christie L...: March 2016 - A Pale Horse 6 55 Jul 17, 2016 01:16PM
Goodreads Librari...: What to do with a Standard Book Number? 4 26 Feb 07, 2015 04:42PM

• Castle Skull (Henri Bencolin, #2)
  • The Unexpected Guest
  • Spider's Web
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #45.5)
  • Died and Gone to Devon
  • The Case of the Drowned Pearl: A Murder Most Unladylike Mini-Mystery: World Book Day 2020
  • Giant's Bread
  • Mr. Campion's Lucky Day and Other Stories (Penguin Classic Crime)
  • Answer in the Negative
  • The Murders at White House Farm: Jeremy Bamber and the killing of his family. The definitive investigation.
  • The Guest List
  • The Vanished Bride (Brontë Sisters Mystery #1)
  • Dead Men's Morris (Mrs. Bradley, #7)

Agatha Christie is the best-selling author of all time. She wrote 66 crime novels and story collections, fourteen plays, and six novels under a pseudonym in Romance. Her books have sold over a billion copies in the English language and a billion in

Ariadne Oliver (8 books)
  • Parker Pyne Investigates
  • Cards on the Table (Hercule Poirot, #15)
  • Mrs. McGinty's Dead (Hercule Poirot, #30)
  • Dead Man's Folly (Hercule Poirot, #33)
  • Third Girl (Hercule Poirot, #38)
  • Hallowe'en Party (Hercule Poirot, #39)
  • Elephants Can Remember (Hercule Poirot, #40)