Start by marking “The Best American Short Stories... And The Yearbook Of The American Short Story” as Want to Read:
The Best American Short Stories... And The Yearbook Of The American Short Story

The Best American Short Stories... And The Yearbook Of The American Short Story (The Best American Short Stories)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  319 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Edited by beloved storyteller Garrison Keillor, this year's volume promises to be full of humor, surprises, and, as always, accomplished writing by new and familiar voices. The preeminent short fiction series since 1915, The Best American Short Stories is the only volume that annually offers the finest works chosen by a distinguished best-selling author.
Paperback
Published (first published October 30th 1998)

Be the first to ask a question about The Best American Short Stories... And The Yearbook Of The American Short Story

Susan
Best American Short Stories of 1998 is a collection of short stories selected by Garrison Keillor.

Stories read in random order, as part of the 2014 Deal Me In! Short Story Reading Challenge (bibliophilica.wordpress.com/deal-me-i...).

Wayne in Love - by Padgett Powell
I hated this story of a man obsessed with sex who cheats on his wife and girlfriends. He’s crude and harshly critical of the women he treats as sex objects. “He thought about a shower. That might constitute a moving-in gesture-he did
Jeffrey Howard
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
A solid collection, but lacking in variety: I wanted to see more experimental, fantastic, or surreal elements in some of the stories.

Top 3 stories in no particular order:
---"Body Language" by Diane Schoemperlen. My own body has never meant more to me. This piece has shaken me from my aversion to material, or corporeal interpretations for what matters in life. "He does not know if she still loves him. If not, he does not know when she stopped. He wonders what you do with love when you're done wi
Jenneffer
Dec 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This compilation was fantastic. Some of the stories reminded me of good friends, old lovers, people I'd never met, situations I couldn't bear to endure, and of myself. Yet the commonality they share is their seamless connection with humanity. Certain phrases chilled me to the bone, others amused me, because of the direct tone each writer takes with the reader. In each story, the reader forgets she is an innocent bystander, and becomes immersed in the plot or particular character who comes to lif ...more
Sylvie
Apr 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up from the library a couple of weeks ago when I had a few extra minutes before work... so glad I did! I really enjoyed the stories in here and can see why Garrison Keilor made the choices he did. They are stories about love and loss, relationships, regrets, bittersweet moments.

There was at least one story I had to stop reading mid-way through, it was too painful to read. Not that it was a bad story at all, it was just too heatbreaking.

This book made me remember why I love s
Margie
Jul 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: collections, series
Among my top two favorite collections from this series (the other being the Amy Tan collection). This one's a keeper.
Ryan
One of the weaker BASS collections, but rehabilitated in its final third by a trio of excellent stories by Lorrie Moore, Meg Wolitzer, and Antonya Nelson. My favorites of the set, in rough order of preference:
* Lorrie Moore: "People Like That Are the Only People Here"
* Antonya Nelson: "Unified Front"
* Kathryn Chetkovich: "Appetites"
* Meg Wolitzer: "Tea at the House"

And some honorable mentions:
* John Updike: "My Father on the Verge of Disgrace"
* Akhil Sharma: "Cosmopolitan"
* Tim Gautreaux: "Weldi
Jen
Sep 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
You may be wondering why I finally got around to reading a collection of stories from 1998. The easy answer is that I gave birth to my first son in 1998. But that doesn't explain why I didn't read it in, say, 1999 or 2004 or within a slightly more acceptable time frame.

Truly, I like short stories. I can finish one (sometimes) before I drift off to sleep. I can knock out a short story waiting to pick up a child from football practice when the coach just doesn't stop talking to them after practic
SmarterLilac
Feb 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I really, really like this one, even if Keillor threw a few odd ducks in with the swans. My favorites in here are 'Appetites,' 'United Front,' and 'People Like That Are The Only People Here.' Because of the number of hopeful stories Keillor included, ('Glory Goes and Gets Some') I've always gotten the impression that he was trying to say, 'Jesus, lighten up, readers,' which amuses me. When you think about it, the tone of the majority of the short fiction pieces in the other collections is pretty ...more
Tamra
Appetites - Kathryn Chetkovich
Dusty
Dec 02, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2007
Keillor announces in his introduction that he believes the best fiction is that which underlines the truths in our everyday lives. This, apparently, is the criteria he used to select stories for inclusion here, and while it yields some winners (the stories by Lorrie Moore & Annie Proulx are excellent), I found eventually that I was a little tired & bored of "everyday" stories. Meh.

Chi
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic choice for anyone who enjoys reading short stories. Another good thing is that this edition of 1998 was reviewed my Garrison Keillor - one of the writers I respect the most. Besides, all the stories have notes from their authors so that the readers can look them up to see how the plots were made and how the writers found their inspiration to create great works.
Cathy

Tea at the house Meg Wolitzer
Wayne in love Padgett Powell

Alice
Aug 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although much of the writing was beautiful, it was, in the tradition of short stories, relentlessly depressing. Still, interesting to see which stories and authors came out of this pile of blind submissions.
ken
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think the problem was that I expected too much from Garrison Keillor (what with him being one of my favourite literary personalities) and I liked the stories in general. But only one really stuck out to me (John Updike's "My Father on the Verge of Disgrace".
Lisa R.
Jun 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
This is the one that got me hooked on the Best American series. The Lorrie Moore story alone makes it worthwhile, but many of the stories are memorable to me, even 10 years later.
Jonathan
Jan 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
another dumpster find!
Mikal
Dec 28, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the books I have been reading in when the spare moment appears. Interesting stories.
Catherine
Oct 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
Although the collection contained a few duds, almost every story had me hooked within a paragraph or two. Reading such varied, inventive and relatable stories was refreshing.
Adam
Feb 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Garrison Keillor is not the best editor, but there are a handful of good stories in this one. Not the worst.
Mary Helene
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up by accident and am totally enthralled. I may just go to reading ONLY short stories.
Armilie Mae
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Here's something light to keep me sane after a disturbing trip around Highgate Cemetery (#HerFearfulSymmetry, the brilliant type of literature to me!)
Kaydence
Dec 14, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like short stories and I especially liked this collection. It has some great material and some ok material, but overall it's a good read.
Ankayarkanni Prasad
A wonderful compilation that I happen to have in some forgotten nook of my shelf... Kept me hooked all this week with some really endearing characters and interesting situations...
Jerry
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great writing, but a sadder group of stories than I remember from earlier collections
Rob
Nice and interesting collection of stories from Keillor.
Charlie
  • The Best American Short Stories 1990
  • The Best American Short Stories 2009
  • The Best American Short Stories 2008
2014
Garrison Keillor (born Gary Edward Keillor on August 7, 1942 in Anoka, Minnesota) is an American author, storyteller, humorist, columnist, musician, satirist, and radio personality. He is known as host of the Minnesota Public Radio show "A Prairie Home Companion".

Keillor was born in Anoka, Minnesota, the son of Grace Ruth (née Denham) and John Philip Keillor, who was a carpenter and postal worker.
More about Garrison Keillor...

The Best American Short Stories (1 - 10 of 89 books)
  • The Best Short Stories of 1915, and the Yearbook of the American Short Story
  • The Best American Short Stories of 1916: And the Yearbook of the American Short Story (1917)
  • The Best Short Stories of 1917
  • The Best Short Stories of 1918 and the Yearbook of the American Short Story
  • The Best Short Stories of 1919
  • The Best Short Stories of 1920 and the Yearbook of the American Short Story
  • The Best Short Stories of 1921, and the Yearbook of the American Short Story
  • The Best Short Stories of 1922 and the Yearbook of the American Short Story
  • Best Short Stories: 1927
  • The Best Short Stories of 1931 And the Yearbook of the American Short Story 1931