Start by marking “Sworn Enemy” as Want to Read:
Sworn Enemy

Sworn Enemy

(Espionage #2)

June 1944. As World War II rages, the people of Eastern Europe are hopelessly trapped between two formidable forces: Hitler’s Germany and Stalin’s Soviet Union. In their midst, a band of heroes works to defend against the inevitable Communist takeover.

After narrowly escaping her Nazi captors, French Resistance worker Genevieve Olivier has fled to Allied territory with the
Published April 2013 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about Sworn Enemy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sworn Enemy

Paul
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book by A. L. Sowards is a sequel to Espionage, but it also works as a standalone book.
Full disclosure: I am “friends” with the author on GoodReads and have received the third installment in the series with the expectation for my review. However, I seek to always provide frank feedback that benefits both the author and potential readers in my reviews.
I enjoyed Sworn Enemy – I even read it twice – and I’ll specify why in a moment, but let me first criticize the publisher a bit, because I fel
Julie
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sworn Enemy is the second historical suspense put out by A.L. Sowards. I really enjoyed the first one and the second one was just as good.

We continue with the adventures of Peter and Genevieve, whom we met in the first book, although Sworn Enemy is a stand alone novel. (I was glad I'd read the first one so I knew a little more of the background of Peter and Genevieve, though.) This time, Peter is part of an elite group that is trying to stop a communist takeover and that's not easy. I loved his
A.L. Sowards
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Since I wrote this book, my opinion is a little biased, so I thought rather than writing a review I’d answer a few of the questions I’ve been getting.

Is it a sequel? Sure. It includes some characters from Espionage and takes place at a later date, but you don’t have to read Espionage to understand Sworn Enemy . Reading Sworn Enemy first might reveal a few plot spoilers for Espionage, but if you’re the type of reader who likes to read the last page first, that could work out well for you.

What’s t
Shauna
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is SO GOOD!

It pulls you in on page one and keeps you going as you fight, fear, love, and conquer right along with the characters.

You will be captured and give in to this wonderful telling of WWII happenings.

And your final release will be when you turn that last page and sigh knowing that what you read was wonderful, and heart-wrenching, and will forever be kept in your mind.

French Resistance worker Genevieve Olivier and Lieutenant Peter Eddy are on the run. Being captured and then esca
Lela
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It is the second in a series, but could be read as a standalone book. The author takes great care to ensure historical accuracy (which I really appreciate) while still allowing for a new and interesting story. This book kept me guessing and I read most of it in a single sitting because I couldn't put it down! I feel like I know a bit more about the history of WW2 because of this book, and I was very entertained for a couple of hours. I would highly recommend this book ...more
Alyse
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I really loved this book! My only problem with it was that it felt like every time it got to a climax and things were about to go downhill for the characters, something or other would appear just in time to save them. Every single time. But other than that, it was great. I loved Peter, and his team, and the plot, and Genevieve was good.
I also listened to the audiobook, which was done very well, and it helped with the pronunciation of the places and characters’ names, and foreign words.
Betty Ann Baer
May 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was listening to this book and had a hard time following the story.
James
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic WWII novel that is emotionally investing and has a fun plot twist.
Shanda
Sworn Enemy begins as Peter and Genevieve (introduced in Espionage) are trying to stay ahead of the Gestapo, making their way out of occupied France. While Sworn Enemy can be read alone, reading Espionage provides a richer history of the characters and makes reading Sworn Enemy an even better experience.

Peter and Genevieve are great characters. While Espionage focuses mainly on the beginning of their story and the events leading up to their escape from occupied France, Sworn Enemy finds them fac
Katie W
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was completely amazed by this story. I've come to find that A.L. Sowards is a master at telling sides of stories that aren't overdone and commonly shared--at least, not that I've read. This story comes after Espionage, but can be read as a stand-alone. The twists and turns in this one made up a totally different story, but had some of the same characters.

The reader sees what happens immediately following the end of Book 1. Peter goes on a mission to Romania, which once again took me by surpri
Andrea
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was able to read A.L. Sowards' WWII novel, Espionage, earlier this year, and I really liked it. My only complaint, if you want to call it that, was that I wanted more at the end. I liked the characters a lot and wanted to see what happened with them.

Luckily for me, Sworn Enemy takes up where Espionage left off, and readers are taken on an exciting ride following Peter and Genevieve as their lives are threatened (both together and separately) as they try to survive while fighting the enemy in w
Kathryn
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a well written historical romance novel. I love world war II books. I'm so grateful for the service men and woman who fought to whole heartedly so we could have the freedoms we do. What a terrible time to be a spy. What loss and uncertainty people on both sides had to live with. The evil and brutal treatment of the prisoners is portrayed so well I wonder how they did endure and then sometimes didn't. The risk, bravery, and selflessness is also so well expressed in Sowards words. It is nice ...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Peter and Genevieve have escaped France during WWII. They have a future of promise ahead of them, but a war that is still in progress. There is duty left to fulfill, their new found relationship must wait.

This is a gripping sequel to Espionage. A.L Sowards writes well and tells her story in a way that kept my attention. I loved her characters. Peter and Genevieve I already knew from the first story and was cheering them from the sidelines as they fought their battles. The unit that Peter becomes
Andrea Smith
May 26, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked this book. I'd give it 3.5 stars. It's a sequel to Espionage but could be read as a stand alone book. I'd still recommend reading Espionage first. Not only does it give you background but you also get to really know the characters. In Sworn Enemy, I liked the relationship between Peter and Genevieve. The novel started with a bang and grabbed my interest right away. There were some great and engaging scenes throughout the novel and other scenes that were slower paced. I liked the mystery ...more
Ann
I received this book from GoodReads First Reads

This book had the right balance of action and romance. Though I did not read Espionage, I felt the connection Peter and Genevieve had for each other. Their brief moments together were filled with warm fuzzies. Peter's missions were much more interesting than Genevieve's, and I was relieved that a larger chunk of the book was focused on his story.

(view spoiler)
Charissa
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, historical-war
Second book in this series. Peter and Genevieve's adventures continue in this WWII book. I love the action and intrigue as their foes fight to annihilate them. This places the hero and heroine in separate parts of Europe during the war--Genevieve in England and Peter in the Carpathian mountains with a special ops team. I love how the author tells a riveting story while being historically accurate and teaching me something along the way. And it has plenty of nail-biting suspense (my hands are pro ...more
Cathy
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book picks up right where Espionage left off, make sure to read that one first! I loved the action and adventure in this book. I really loved Genevieve and Peter's characters, no matter the obstacle, they are able to overcome all things. I loved the war details in this book, I don't remember learning some of this information about WWII in my history classes, maybe part of that comes from the characters being immersed in the countries that were at war, not just looking in. I didn't want to p ...more
Erica
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I didn't realize this was book 2 of a series when I started. It jumped right in, and I was thinking the backstory would be awesome. LOL - it's in her previous book! But I enjoyed this story and then picked up her first book, which I've not read yet. My son is HUGE into WW2, so I was reading this as a preview for him. There is some violence, but not graphic (it is set during a war, after all), no language and the romance is light and sweet. I also learned some new, interesting things about WW2. N ...more
Robyn Echols
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exciting Thriller

This World War Two romance has great action, believable and engaging characters who grabbed my interest from the start. This sweet romance starts in France, but ends up with scenes split between Romania and Marseille as both Peter and Gabrielle work to end the war. I enjoyed learning more about the situation in Romania, a country I haven't studied much. The action and suspense kept me reading non-stop to the end. Sweet romance
Jessica
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I just finished this book and boy was it incredible! This series has it all - great historical detail, a thrilling plot that keeps you on the edge of your seat, and wonderful romance. I love this author and this series, and the only problem now is that once I finish the third book I'll have nothing new left to read until she publishes something new!
Connie
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book! I listened to it on CD and found myself cowering a bit during some of the interegation sections...I usually skim over those type of things when I'm actually reading a book.

If you have read and enjoyed Traitor, Tribunal and Trespass by Sandra Grey and/or Espionage by this author you will really enjoy this book.
Carrie
Apr 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Definitely worth the read. I wasn't expecting A.L. Sowards to continue the story from Espionage, but I really liked those characters. Do I sense a trilogy in there? I love a story with action, but maybe there was too much action and not enough character development. All in all, I'd recommend it.
Julie
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wwii, listened
I thoroughly enjoyed this engrossing book! It's completely apparent that it's well-researched, but also well-crafted. I came to love Peter and Genevieve in the first book in the series, and was happy to continue their story.
Apr 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked this story, it is just not my favorite genre. If you liked the Traitor series by Sandra Grey, you will like this one. It picks up where her first book Espionage left off. It has a great mix of mystery and romance set in WW 2. This is the kind of story my husband enjoys too!
Madsta
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK! Being the sequel, it is just as exciting as the first and I stayed up way too late reading it. The characters seem real and there is so much action I felt like I didn't breathe until I had finished it.
Susan
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book.
Diane
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I learned about the history of the war inside some countries that I didn't know before. However, a few too many impossible escapes for my taste.
Alex
Aug 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: the-gull
sometimes i like a little romance. this just wasn't one of those times. the history and action kept me going though.
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
  • Shadowed
  • Barbara's War
  • Trespass (Traitor, #3)
  • The House at Rose Creek
  • A Family for Christmas (Texas Grooms, #3)
  • I, Spy (Spy Another Day, #1)
  • Anna's Bear: 5 Days of Moral Conflict And Pursuit, Nazi Germany, 1939
  • The Reluctant Blogger
  • A Timeless Romance Anthology: Mail Order Bride Collection
  • Heart's Journey
  • The Earl's Betrothal
  • Crossfire (Saint Squad, #3)
  • Portrait of Lies
  • The Pharaoh's Daughter (Isabelle Webb, #2)
  • Trust To A Degree
  • The End Begins: Sudden Darkness
I love books, so that makes Goodreads my favorite social media site. As a reader, I enjoy a variety of books. As a writer, I create historical novels with a wholesome mix of action, adventure, and romance. My novels include a Whitney Award winner and several Whitney finalists.

I grew up in Washington State, then came to Utah to attend BYU. I’m still in Utah, where I live with my husband, three chil

Espionage (3 books)