Start by marking “Surviving Raine (Surviving Raine, #1)” as Want to Read:
Surviving Raine (Surviving Raine, #1)

Surviving Raine

(Surviving Raine #1)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  13,217 ratings  ·  1,366 reviews
As the captain of a schooner catering to the elite on the Caribbean Seas, Sebastian Stark does his best to avoid any human encounters. Interacting with people isn’t his thing, and he prefers the company of a bottle of vodka, a shot glass, and maybe a whore. There’s no doubt he’s hiding from a checkered past, but he does well keeping everything to himself…

…until
Published May 19th 2013 by Shay Savage

To ask other readers questions about Surviving Raine, please sign up.

·  13,217 ratings  ·  1,366 reviews

Start your review of Surviving Raine (Surviving Raine, #1)
Debra
♥ 5 STARS. ♥

"Your body can survive in amazing situations; you just have to convince your mind to do what you tell it to do."

What. A. Story.

Surviving Raine was an amazing, heartfelt, emotional, gripping and unforgettable story that simply blew me away. For the day and a half it took me to read this book, it completely consumed my thoughts. And even now, after having finished it, I often still think about it. Yes, that's just how good this book was.

Surviving Raine is a story about two people having to survive togethe

Jamie
This Book Owned Me!!!!
One Of My Favorite Books This Year!

If there were more stars to give- this book would have them..

I read a lot of books and I've read a lot of good books.. you know how sometimes when you're reading something and all of a sudden you are like.. wow!, this is just crazy good! And your heart starts beating faster and you can't turn the pages fast enough? You feel like you are right there in the book and your emotions are just all over the place? You can't wait to read the next page but at
Christy
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
5 Bastian loving stars!!!

photo b7ee6978-b29a-45d5-870d-0c8e909335b5_zps6c166ac8.jpg

Surviving Raine is a book that was released over a year ago. Yes. Over a year ago. And I have just now read it. I have no clue why it’s taken me so long. This book was just my type of read. The hero is damaged and a complete jerk most of the time. The heroine is lovable and not at all annoying. The writing is fantasti
"That's All" Ash
There’s a moment when it comes to amazing books.

Whether you find it in the middle of a sentence, the last page of a chapter, or when that titanium, paper-like wire of sexual tension *finally* gives.

It’s the moment where you realize that the book you’re reading completely and irrevocably owns you.

So I’m going to do the one thing I hate doing: I’m going to spoil this book for you, by telling you that this book?

It has that moment.

You’re going to set it down. And then you’re going to find yourself picking it right back up five minu
Jill
Jul 05, 2013 rated it liked it

This is another wildly popular contemporary. And for the most part I can understand why. The plot in simple terms: After a ship capsizes in the Caribbean the captain, Sebastian Stark and a passenger, Raine Gayle manage to escape to a life raft. Their survival at sea, and later on an island, is mainly dependent on the resourcefulness of Bastian. And of course, since this is a romance, they fall in love.

The Good
For me, the absolute best thing about this was the survival story itself with Bas/>The
Aestas Book Blog
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it

My casting for Bastien ^^^

FULL SPOILER-FREE REVIEW NOW POSTED

This was one of those random reads that just totally grabbed my attention and made me shift my TBR. I went into it not really knowing what to expect but came out of it pleasantly surprised!

It was refreshing to read such a different plot line than the usual. It was basically the story of two people stranded together on a life raft in the middle of the Caribbean struggling to survive and dealing with their growing feelings for each other.

Butsurprised!
Mo
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5 STARS

This is the story about Raine and Sebastian (Bastian) … Bastian is the captain of a boat, The Oblation. The boat hits some sort of storm and it sinks but not before Bastian gets the emergency raft afloat. He sees a body in the water and hauls it on board. It is Raine, sweet Raine and their journey takes them onto the open seas to a deserted island where they have to survive the elements. Bastin is an alcoholic so we see him going through withdrawl symptoms, DTs, etc. It is fairly heartbreaking. Raine is
Duchess Nicole
"Forgiveness is the fragrance of the violet which still clings fast to the heel that crushed it. "Raine's eyes met mine again, her tears still staining her cheeks. "I'm a heel, Raine," I told her. "You're my beautiful violet and I'm always crushing you..."

Hey...little disclaimer here...I know there is talk of this book having a cliffie (most of you know how I feel about cliffhangers), but I really don't think this ends in a cliffie AT ALL! The story told within this book is complete....I put it down with a nice
♡Karlyn P♡

Not my cuppa. Honestly, I am really getting sick of this formula!

Bastian was yet another asshole hero, much like Travis from Beautiful Disaster, who drinks too much, smokes too much, curses too much, fights too much, feels he doesn't deserve to be loved, and alternates treating his heroine like a piece of shit or a priceless golden statuesque goddess.

Raine was yet another doormat, doe-eyed, virginal innocent, giggly heroine with a speech impediment, (this one couldn't talk without inserting an
Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Re-reading 5-20-14 in prep for sequel.

photo d3dd5c84b7b7bc2f19dbd68c6bd3a4d7_zps3563b863.jpg

Dear Bastian,
Wow. Words cannot express the feelings your story evoked in me. It was your story to tell and I thank you for sharing. Your childhood was obviously horrible. I cannot fathom how your parents left a poor child alone in this world. Why the foster care parents abandoned you one by one was even further disheartening. I can see why this caused you such feelings of worthlessness and made you the fighter you had to be in life. You did horrible things, Bastian,
♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥

Let me tell you my thoughts and feelings about this magnificent story....

Sebastian Stark likes to lose himself in his vices.... A whore and a bottle, or ten, of something alcoholic. That's his life: women, alcohol, nicotine and living on the sea, in his beloved ship, The Oblation. He wants nothing more from his existence.....

"I was what I was - violent, crude, and utterly unlovable." Well lets just see about that shall we?

One day it all goes wrong, the ship capsizes and Sebastian finds himself alone, on a raft, with Raine, a female passenger.

How will she deal withexistence.....
"IOblation.
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★

★★★★! Surviving Raine, book 1. Two lonely & broken people waiting to be rescued from ship-wreck face danger & dismal conditions, yet their biggest obstacles are their demons within.

Surviving Raine is the story of Bastian and Raine who end up shipwrecked on a 10 foot emergency raft after Bastian’s schooner, Oblation capsizes in the Caribbean Sea. Dire weather conditions and limited supplies of food, water, alcohol and cigarettes put them on a collision course with disaster as an injured Bastian is forced to detoxwithin.
Surviving
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
4.5 I guess I really do love the assholes after all Stars

I'm not...a nice guy, Raine." I didn't know how to make her understand that there wasn't anything else to me despite what she wanted to believe. I was what I was- violent, crude, and utterly unlovable."

First, if you haven't yet read any books by this author, you need to get out from under the rock you've been living under and GET ON IT.class="gr-hostedUserImg">
Anna
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of jerks you'll loveeeeee
Recommended to Anna by: M
Loved this book !!!

What can I say about this book !?! Holyyyyy mother of clams, oysters and pearls ....this one was a Sizzler and it got me right in my heart !

BASTIAN ........my new breed of jerk-assholes-that-i-loveeeeeeee. My heart just non-stop swooned !!!

“I held you,” she said, her voice was tense and gaining in volume.  “I held you, and you cried, and you asked me why no one had ever wanted you.  You asked me why your own mother didn’t want you.  You asked me why it hurt so much and if I co
!!!
Crystal~BIG book addict~
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
4.5 Save Me, Bastian Stars!!

Gosh, where to start with this.....I FREAKING LOVED THIS BOOK! Bastian can save me from drowning, dehydration and starvation any time he wants!

Sebastian has had a tough life. Right now he just wants to enjoy his retirement on his boat hauling around rich society snobs, drinking his vodka and enjoying the occasional whore. Things were going well until a storm capsized his boat and he is left in a life raft with one other person, Raine, whom he saved from drowning.

4.5 Save Me, Bastian Stars!!

Raine just wanted a relaxing vacation. Life lately hasn't been easy on her either. She needs some time to regroup before going back to college. She didn't expect to have to be rescued by the ship's surly and grumpy captain.

Bastian is an alcoholic and along with all of their other troubles, is going through detox, which makes him even more of a prick. Raine is able to break through some of his barriers, only to discover that their pasts are intertwined.

"Your…acceptance of me,” I said. “That’s really my favorite thing about you. I don’t know why you put up with my shit, but I’m glad you do." ~Bastian

He doesn't trust easily. but somehow being with Raine has become everything to him. He knows as long as he has her, even though he thinks he doesn't deserve her, he can get through his nightly nightmares and the past the continually haunts him.

"I give you my life, my love, my soul,” I swore to her. “As long as I’m breathing, I’m yours." ~Bastian

Aisling Zena
5 solid stars

I absolutely loved this book. I can't even put in words how it made me feel.
description

Shay Savage keeps your full attention throughout the book. The interactions between Bastian and Raine are almost mesmerizing. He is the damaged soul, the ultimate bad boy all girls want to save. Isn't that the hope of every girl that loves a bad boy? To help save him? Well Raine does it beautifully. There was not a single moment where I thought "Oh that shouldn't have happened" or "I wanna slap her/him". The b
* Meli Mel *

♥♥♥ 5 'I LOVED IT' STARS ♥♥♥

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“Don’t touch me,” I clarified.

“Why not?”

"Because I want it and I don’t deserve it.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

I freaking loved this book. From start to finish, I could not put it down. I don't know why it took me so long to read this but I'm so glad that I finally did.

Kelena
Butterflyingly Soul Deep 5 Stars

"I want to, Raine," I said quietly. "I want to let you in. I just don't know if I can."
description
Surviving Raine is loosely based on the fanfiction "Surviving Bella"
which I loved alot. But here... Surviving Raine is a bona fide, profound,
enduring and exceptional
tale that'll left you wander
away in Lala Land with Bastian and Raine

❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡

Woahhhh.........
Did I Just Got My Heart Thud Thud Thud like Million times?
Sure I Did `Cause I just encounteRaine
Didclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
SurvivingStars
"I
Elizabeth (Liz)
Review posted at: Swept Away By Romance

5 Stars

Shay Savage's website almost cockily proclaims that she writes "Fiction with Teeth". HA! Nothing cocky about the truth, my friends. I guarantee, that is maybe the *only* accurate way to sum up the dark, unsettling, exciting, unapologetic, fascinating, shocking, frank, graphic, primal, crude, sexy, at times horrific, consistently compelling experience that is Surviving Raine!!

Truly, there is just no adequate way to summ
Taryn

This is a DNF for me. I'm sorry, but I just can't read another page. I tried, I really did. I made it 60% through the story, but I just couldn't take it any longer. That's saying something considering the fact that I wanted to stop reading this book into the second chapter.

This is how I feel about Daniel/Bastian...

Daniel's ONLY saving quality is his warped sense of humor. He is suppose to be the jerk of the century, but he's nothing but a straight up dickhead to me. I love my mean and abusive her
Amy | Foxy Blogs
PRICE DROP
75% - $.99

6/3/2014
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In case of a shipwreck here is a:
SURVIVAL 101
1) Bastian ✔
2) Food and water ✔
3) Seasickness medicine ✔
…..16) Take steps to maintain morale.

THREE is an important number for survival.
"You can live 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food.”

Bastian is the captain of a ship that takes private groups on cruises. He lacks in people skills and has self destructive ways; alcoholic, smoker and misogynistic. He has spent a lifetime feeling unwant✔
THREEa:
Shurrn
Shay Savage does it again - a story of love and redemption from the most unlikely of souls...
“I’m a heel, Raine,” I told her. “You’re my beautiful violet, and I’m always crushing you. You take away my nightmares, and I probably add to yours . I don’t think I will ever believe I deserve you, but I love you more than I can even describe. I don’t know if I can eve
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
My Thoughts:

♦ This is like a darker/more grown up On The Island. He was pretty harsh in the beginning.

♦ Poor "Daniel"...my heart really went out to him.

♦ Fish & bird spinal fluid? No thank you.

♦ Hot times on the Island...(he is an energizer bunny!)

description

♦ It's a small world...wonder how much is a coincidence?

♦ Loved how they saved each other.

♦ Him and Mister Fluffy...LOL!

♦ Hated the
Jacqueline's Reads
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-books
4 Stormy Stars

I’ve been Surviving Raine on the back burner for a while. I think it’s because of the plot. Two people stranded by sea? But you know what?! It worked for me. My only complaint is that it was a tad bit too long, but other than that, I was swept away by this one.

Summary

Sebastian Stark is captain of a ship that gets caught up in a storm. Everyone is tossed overboard and before he finds himself a life raft, he saves a beautiful woman. Together they must endure the sea before they can get rescued.

Sebastian

Sebastian is the star of the show.rescued.
Sebastianone.
Sebastian
Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog
*****FOUR I WANT A BASTIAN OF MY OWN STARS!!!*****

photo 3486f824989ff315c554388ec36a77ce_zps25435e14.jpg

Bastian Stark, is the Captain of a ship called "The Oblation".
Raine Gayle, is a beautiful young woman, who is one of his passengers.
Her best friend had convinced her to take a nice vacation with some money she came into from her father's death. He was murdered in the line of duty by a crime lord.

During this charter, there is an earthquake, which causes the
Mistress
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: so-good
"If you call forth what is in you, it will save you. If you do not call forth what is in you, it will destroy you."

Oh, WOW! This book was unexpectedly great! I wasn't too sure if I would like this one when I picked it up, but boy, am I glad I took a chance and read it. This book was heartbreaking, full of tragedy and loss. It was also full of forgiveness, redemption, love, and learning one's self-worth. There were many steamy scenes to get your blood flowing and enough drama to keep you on edge. I abso
Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie
4.5 Stranded Stars!!!

So I've just gotta say how much I enjoyed reading this!

Bastian and Raine are forced to help each other survive when Bastian's ship is wrecked by a storm. When Bastian sees Raine's body floating in the ocean, he feels an inexplicable tug, he has to save her even though he isn't even sure if she's alive.

He doesn't understand why he feels the way he does and because of this, he at first pushes Raine away. Acting like a complete jerk so that she doesn't become attached to him.

Although she'
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**
***4.25 Stars***

I've had this book on my kindle forever and if it wasn't for my traveling book club, I'm not sure when I would have gotten around to reading it....and I'm so glad I finally did! This was really good.

I'm a huge sucker for the bitter and damaged hero who finds hope and love because of the honest love of a woman.

Bastian has lived a dark and grim life so his first line of defense is a tough offense. He was an asshole through and through, but as you got to know him, his snark and a
Brenna
May 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: alpha, series
2 1/2 stars! Geez, it’s been awhile since I was so conflicted over a book!

There were so many things I liked and even loved about this book, but then there were things that drove me kind of nuts too.

So, let’s start with what it’s about. Surviving Raine is Bastian’s story. He is the captain of a ship.

I just owned the ship, sailed it during the day and spent my nights drinking, either on the ship or off. It didn’t matter to me. Sometimes I fucked one of the passengers, but that was purely becaus
Vikki ~ *squee* lite ~
Wow. I could not put this one down. (Which was an issue since I really had other things to do today)

I'm not usually a fan of the man against nature plot. Although, there was obviously more to this book than just that. Sebastian Stark is not a good guy. He's an alcoholic who is trying to drink himself to death, while avoiding human contact as much as possible except of course for the hookers he picks up to fuck. There really isn't a lot to like about him. Eventually, you get his story
The sequel 5 142 Jan 26, 2015 01:09PM
Bookcrastinators ...: New review up! 1 7 Aug 15, 2014 08:59AM
Buddy Read Zone: Surviving Raine 177 119 Jun 17, 2013 04:34PM

• Shooting Scars (The Artists Trilogy, #2)
  • Escape from Paradise (Paradise, #1)
  • Breach (Breach, #1)
  • Healing Faith (In Your World, #1)
  • Allure (Spiral of Bliss, #2)
  • Color of Forgiveness (Color, #2)
  • Freeing Asia (Breaking Free, #1)
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
  • Unforgiven (Unforgiven, #1)
  • The Tied Man (The Tied Man, #1)
  • Running Barefoot
  • Beneath the Burn
  • The Fifth Favor
  • Cursive
  • Progress (Progress, #1)
  • Killing Sarai (In the Company of Killers, #1)
  • Black Flag (Racing on the Edge, #2)
  • Animate Me
Shay Savage is an independent author from Cincinnati, Ohio, where she lives with her family and a variety of household pets. She is an accomplished public speaker and holds the rank of Distinguished Toastmaster from Toastmasters International. Her hobbies include off-roading in her big, yellow Jeep, science fiction in all forms, and soccer. Savage holds a degree in psychology, and she brings a lot ...more

Surviving Raine (3 books)
  • Bastian's Storm (Surviving Raine, #2)
  • Surviving the Storm (Surviving Raine #1-2)
“I loved mornings on the island. Fucking loved them. Emphasis on fucking.” 53 likes
“Don’t touch me,” I clarified.
“Why not?”
Because I want it and I don’t deserve it.”
41 likes