Start by marking “Surviving Raine (Surviving Raine, #1)” as Want to Read:
Surviving Raine (Surviving Raine, #1)

Surviving Raine

(Surviving Raine #1)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  13,697 ratings  ·  1,428 reviews
As the captain of a schooner catering to the elite on the Caribbean Seas, Sebastian Stark does his best to avoid any human encounters. Interacting with people isn’t his thing, and he prefers the company of a bottle of vodka, a shot glass, and maybe a whore. There’s no doubt he’s hiding from a checkered past, but he does well keeping everything to himself…

…until the night h
Published May 19th 2013 by Shay Savage

To ask other readers questions about Surviving Raine, please sign up.

·  13,697 ratings  ·  1,428 reviews

Start your review of Surviving Raine (Surviving Raine, #1)
Debra
♥ 5 STARS. ♥

"Your body can survive in amazing situations; you just have to convince your mind to do what you tell it to do."

What. A. Story.

Surviving Raine was an amazing, heartfelt, emotional, gripping and unforgettable story that simply blew me away. For the day and a half it took me to read this book, it completely consumed my thoughts. And even now, after having finished it, I often still think about it. Yes, that's just how good this book was.

Surviving Raine is a story about tw

Christy
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
5 Bastian loving stars!!!

photo b7ee6978-b29a-45d5-870d-0c8e909335b5_zps6c166ac8.jpg

Surviving Raine is a book that was released over a year ago. Yes. Over a year ago. And I have just now read it. I have no clue why it’s taken me so long. This book was just my type of read. The hero is damaged and a complete jerk most of the time. The heroine is lovable and not at all annoying. The writing is fantastic. It’s witty, steamy, full of adventure and romance. It’s quickly made it’s way on my favorites list. And it’s all because of one man. Sebastian Stark.
Jamie
This Book Owned Me!!!!
One Of My Favorite Books This Year!

If there were more stars to give- this book would have them..

I read a lot of books and I've read a lot of good books.. you know how sometimes when you're reading something and all of a sudden you are like.. wow!, this is just crazy good! And your heart starts beating faster and you can't turn the pages fast enough? You feel like you are right there in the book and your emotions are just all over the place? You can't wait to re
"That's All" Ash
There’s a moment when it comes to amazing books.

Whether you find it in the middle of a sentence, the last page of a chapter, or when that titanium, paper-like wire of sexual tension *finally* gives.

It’s the moment where you realize that the book you’re reading completely and irrevocably owns you.

So I’m going to do the one thing I hate doing: I’m going to spoil this book for you, by telling you that this book?

It has that moment.

You’re going to set it down. And then you’re going to find yoursel
Jill
Jul 05, 2013 rated it liked it

This is another wildly popular contemporary. And for the most part I can understand why. The plot in simple terms: After a ship capsizes in the Caribbean the captain, Sebastian Stark and a passenger, Raine Gayle manage to escape to a life raft. Their survival at sea, and later on an island, is mainly dependent on the resourcefulness of Bastian. And of course, since this is a romance, they fall in love.

The Good
For me, the absolute best thing about this was the survival story itself with Bastian's
Aestas Book Blog
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it

My casting for Bastien ^^^

FULL SPOILER-FREE REVIEW NOW POSTED

This was one of those random reads that just totally grabbed my attention and made me shift my TBR. I went into it not really knowing what to expect but came out of it pleasantly surprised!

It was refreshing to read such a different plot line than the usual. It was basically the story of two people stranded together on a life raft in the middle of the Caribbean struggling to survive and dealing with their growing feelings for each
Mo
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5 STARS

This is the story about Raine and Sebastian (Bastian) … Bastian is the captain of a boat, The Oblation. The boat hits some sort of storm and it sinks but not before Bastian gets the emergency raft afloat. He sees a body in the water and hauls it on board. It is Raine, sweet Raine and their journey takes them onto the open seas to a deserted island where they have to survive the elements. Bastin is an alcoholic so we see him going through withdrawl symptoms, DTs, etc. It is fairly heartb
Duchess Nicole
"Forgiveness is the fragrance of the violet which still clings fast to the heel that crushed it. "Raine's eyes met mine again, her tears still staining her cheeks. "I'm a heel, Raine," I told her. "You're my beautiful violet and I'm always crushing you..."

Hey...little disclaimer here...I know there is talk of this book having a cliffie (most of you know how I feel about cliffhangers), but I really don't think this ends in a cliffie AT ALL! The story told within this book is complete....I p
Arini
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Arini by: Bee
4.5 Stars

Who would say no to an inestimable period of self isolation if it meant getting stranded on an island with Sebastian Stark who was the very definition of a damaged good with pockets of sweetness and who would give you special treatments, such as:

- giving you free lessons on how to survive on a lifeboat and keeping you alive with his resourcefulness
- protecting you from any kind of danger with his deadly fighting skills
- helping you maintain your feminine hygiene (including but not limit
♡Karlyn P♡

Not my cuppa. Honestly, I am really getting sick of this formula!

Bastian was yet another asshole hero, much like Travis from Beautiful Disaster, who drinks too much, smokes too much, curses too much, fights too much, feels he doesn't deserve to be loved, and alternates treating his heroine like a piece of shit or a priceless golden statuesque goddess.

Raine was yet another doormat, doe-eyed, virginal innocent, giggly heroine with a speech impediment, (this one couldn't talk without inserting an
Tears Of Venus
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tears Of Venus by: Bee
4,5 you're-my-home ⭐️'s

Song: Mr. Probz - Nothing Really Matters . This song is so them it's scary!!!

“You got me?”
“Yeah, I got you.”

From now on :
Anyone : If you were stranded on an island what would you bring ?
Me : Easy. Sebastian Stark.
Anyone : WHAT not WHO!
Me : like I said, Sebastian Stark. 🙃
Anyone : You obviously don't understand the question 🤬
Me : You obviously don't know Sebastian Stark. 😅

Starting this book, I was promised the asshole of all assholes.
Sebastian Stark definitely more t
Bibi
Dec 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
I must have rolled my eyes a million times. From Bastian's abusive behaviour to Raine's numerous too stupid to live questions, I wanted to capsize their dinghy then jump into the ocean and drown with them.

Additionally, I was disappointed that Shay Savage decided to describe the 2 Black characters as "dark-skinned". Why do authors feel the need to differentiate the POC characters with derogatory descriptors when they could simply say 'Black'? 🙄
Jx PinkLady Reviews ♡ @bookwormthoughts

Let me tell you my thoughts and feelings about this magnificent story....

Sebastian Stark likes to lose himself in his vices.... A whore and a bottle, or ten, of something alcoholic. That's his life: women, alcohol, nicotine and living on the sea, in his beloved ship, The Oblation. He wants nothing more from his existence.....

"I was what I was - violent, crude, and utterly unlovable." Well lets just see about that shall we?

One day it all goes wrong, the ship capsizes and Sebastian finds himself
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★

★★★★! Surviving Raine, book 1. Two lonely & broken people waiting to be rescued from ship-wreck face danger & dismal conditions, yet their biggest obstacles are their demons within.

Surviving Raine is the story of Bastian and Raine who end up shipwrecked on a 10 foot emergency raft after Bastian’s schooner, Oblation capsizes in the Caribbean Sea. Dire weather conditions and limited supplies of food, water, alcohol and cigarettes put them on a collision course with disaster as an injured Basti
Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Re-reading 5-20-14 in prep for sequel.

photo d3dd5c84b7b7bc2f19dbd68c6bd3a4d7_zps3563b863.jpg

Dear Bastian,
Wow. Words cannot express the feelings your story evoked in me. It was your story to tell and I thank you for sharing. Your childhood was obviously horrible. I cannot fathom how your parents left a poor child alone in this world. Why the foster care parents abandoned you one by one was even further disheartening. I can see why this caused you such feelings of worthlessness and made you the fighter you had to be in life. You did horrible thi
Lana ❇✾DG Romance❇✾
4.5 I guess I really do love the assholes after all Stars

I'm not...a nice guy, Raine." I didn't know how to make her understand that there wasn't anything else to me despite what she wanted to believe. I was what I was- violent, crude, and utterly unlovable."

First, if you haven't yet read any books by this author, you need to get out from under the rock you've been living under and GET ON IT. Really. Shay Savage is the queen of male POV and this book just further proves it.

Meet Sebas
Anna
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of jerks you'll loveeeeee
Recommended to Anna by: M
Loved this book !!!

What can I say about this book !?! Holyyyyy mother of clams, oysters and pearls ....this one was a Sizzler and it got me right in my heart !

BASTIAN ........my new breed of jerk-assholes-that-i-loveeeeeeee. My heart just non-stop swooned !!!

“I held you,” she said, her voice was tense and gaining in volume.  “I held you, and you cried, and you asked me why no one had ever wanted you.  You asked me why your own mother didn’t want you.  You asked me why it hurt so much and if
Corina
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For anyone loving JERKS - this book is for you!!!!

Also if I ever drift across the ocean in a tiny lifeboat I would want my own Sebastian.

Ok, this book is not for everyone, Sebastian is going to be TOO MUCH if you are used to sweet heroes, because he is pretty much the opposite of sweet, but boy did it work for me.

I loved his filthy mouth and bad attitude. And his survival skills were just amazing!! Kudos to the author for all the research she did - outstanding!!

After a rocky beginning, Sebasti
Melanie A. *mostly on hiatus*
3.5 STARS!
"Don't cry, Raine. Not for me."
"Someone should."
Sebastian Stark!! His possessive and obsessive ways stole my heart.
"As long as I'm breathing, I'm yours. Even when I'm nothing more than a fucked up dick, I still love you."
Plot in a nutshell: this quote sums it up perfectly . . .
We were in a life raft, for the love of God, in the middle of the fucking Caribbean, and I was getting a hard on from a half-drowned stranger lying on top of me. Well at least
Crystal~BIG book addict~
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
4.5 Save Me, Bastian Stars!!

Gosh, where to start with this.....I FREAKING LOVED THIS BOOK! Bastian can save me from drowning, dehydration and starvation any time he wants!

Sebastian has had a tough life. Right now he just wants to enjoy his retirement on his boat hauling around rich society snobs, drinking his vodka and enjoying the occasional whore. Things were going well until a storm capsized his boat and he is left in a life raft with one other person, Raine, whom he saved from drowning.

Rain
Aisling Zena
5 solid stars

I absolutely loved this book. I can't even put in words how it made me feel.
description

Shay Savage keeps your full attention throughout the book. The interactions between Bastian and Raine are almost mesmerizing. He is the damaged soul, the ultimate bad boy all girls want to save. Isn't that the hope of every girl that loves a bad boy? To help save him? Well Raine does it beautifully. There was not a single moment where I thought "Oh that shouldn't have happened" or "I wanna slap her/him"
* Meli Mel *

♥♥♥ 5 'I LOVED IT' STARS ♥♥♥

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“Don’t touch me,” I clarified.

“Why not?”

"Because I want it and I don’t deserve it.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

I freaking loved this book. From start to finish, I could not put it down. I don't know why it took me so long to read this but I'm so glad that I finally did.

“Your…acceptance of me,” I said. “That’s really my
Kelena
Butterflyingly Soul Deep 5 Stars

"I want to, Raine," I said quietly. "I want to let you in. I just don't know if I can."
description
Surviving Raine is loosely based on the fanfiction "Surviving Bella"
which I loved alot. But here... Surviving Raine is a bona fide, profound,
enduring and exceptional
tale that'll left you wander
away in Lala Land with Bastian and Raine

❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡❊♡

Woahhhh.........
Did I Just Got My Heart Thud Thud Thud like Million times?
Sure I Did `Cause I just encoun
Elizabeth (Liz)
Review posted at: Swept Away By Romance

5 Stars

Shay Savage's website almost cockily proclaims that she writes "Fiction with Teeth". HA! Nothing cocky about the truth, my friends. I guarantee, that is maybe the *only* accurate way to sum up the dark, unsettling, exciting, unapologetic, fascinating, shocking, frank, graphic, primal, crude, sexy, at times horrific, consistently compelling experience that is Surviving Raine!!

Truly, there is just no adequate way to summarize this story. There may not
Amy | Foxy Blogs
PRICE DROP
75% - $.99

6/3/2014
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In case of a shipwreck here is a:
SURVIVAL 101
1) Bastian ✔
2) Food and water ✔
3) Seasickness medicine ✔
…..16) Take steps to maintain morale.

THREE is an important number for survival.
"You can live 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food.”

Bastian is the captain of a ship that takes private groups on cruises. He lacks in people skills and has self destructive w
Shurrn
Shay Savage does it again - a story of love and redemption from the most unlikely of souls...
“I’m a heel, Raine,” I told her. “You’re my beautiful violet, and I’m always crushing you. You take away my nightmares, and I probably add to yours . I don’t think I will ever believe I deserve you, but I love you more than I can even describe. I don’t know if I can ever… be better for you, but if you’re willing to keep forgiving me for being a complete idiot, I’m willing to keep trying.”
Th
Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog
*****FOUR I WANT A BASTIAN OF MY OWN STARS!!!*****

photo 3486f824989ff315c554388ec36a77ce_zps25435e14.jpg

Bastian Stark, is the Captain of a ship called "The Oblation".
Raine Gayle, is a beautiful young woman, who is one of his passengers.
Her best friend had convinced her to take a nice vacation with some money she came into from her father's death. He was murdered in the line of duty by a crime lord.

During this charter, there is an earthquake, which causes the ship to capsize.
Bastian and Raine end up the only two on one of the rafts from the ship
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
My Thoughts:

♦ This is like a darker/more grown up On The Island. He was pretty harsh in the beginning.

♦ Poor "Daniel"...my heart really went out to him.

♦ Fish & bird spinal fluid? No thank you.

♦ Hot times on the Island...(he is an energizer bunny!)

description

♦ It's a small world...wonder how much is a coincidence?

♦ Loved how they saved each other.

♦ Him and Mister Fluffy...LOL!

♦ Hated the Epilogue!! And that the second book isn't out till 2014!!

Favorite quotes:

♥ "Images of little Hershey’s Kisse
Jacqueline's Reads
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-books
4 Stormy Stars

I’ve been Surviving Raine on the back burner for a while. I think it’s because of the plot. Two people stranded by sea? But you know what?! It worked for me. My only complaint is that it was a tad bit too long, but other than that, I was swept away by this one.

Summary

Sebastian Stark is captain of a ship that gets caught up in a storm. Everyone is tossed overboard and before he finds himself a life raft, he saves a beautiful woman. Together they must endure the sea before they can g
Mistress
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: so-good
"If you call forth what is in you, it will save you. If you do not call forth what is in you, it will destroy you."

Oh, WOW! This book was unexpectedly great! I wasn't too sure if I would like this one when I picked it up, but boy, am I glad I took a chance and read it. This book was heartbreaking, full of tragedy and loss. It was also full of forgiveness, redemption, love, and learning one's self-worth. There were many steamy scenes to get your blood flowing and enough drama to keep you on e
YA Buddy Readers'...: Surviving Raine (Surviving Raine #1) by Shay Savage - Starting February 12th, 2020 18 10 Feb 15, 2020 10:48AM
The sequel 5 144 Jan 26, 2015 01:09PM

• Last Light
  • Grayson
  • The Bad Guy
  • Finding Home
  • Hearts in Darkness (Hearts in Darkness, #1)
  • On the Island (On the Island, #1)
  • Breaking Him
  • Hold (Hold, #1)
  • Island Heat
  • The Unwanted Wife (Unwanted, #1)
  • Unloved
  • Medicine Man
  • Hard Time
  • The Sweetest Oblivion (Made, #1)
  • Corrupt Idol
Shay Savage is an independent author from Cincinnati, Ohio, where she lives with her family and a variety of household pets. She is an accomplished public speaker and holds the rank of Distinguished Toastmaster from Toastmasters International. Her hobbies include off-roading in her big, yellow Jeep, science fiction in all forms, and soccer. Savage holds a degree in psychology, and she brings a lot ...more

Surviving Raine (3 books)
  • Bastian's Storm (Surviving Raine, #2)
  • Surviving the Storm (Surviving Raine #1-2)