Start by marking “Otherwise Occupied (Evan Arden, #2)” as Want to Read:
Otherwise Occupied (Evan Arden, #2)

Otherwise Occupied

(Evan Arden #2)

Evan Arden is a hit man for a Chicago mob boss. He lives his life day to day with the company of his dog, Odin. He has to work hard to get back into his boss’s good graces, but the target proves to be difficult. As demons of his past begin to haunt him, he seeks the comfort of sleep from an unlikely candidate, but will confiding in her be his undoing?

He’s struggling to for
Published June 17th 2013 by Shay Savage (first published January 1st 2013)

Start your review of Otherwise Occupied (Evan Arden, #2)
Debra

*Speechless.*

That's how I felt after reading this story. I'm not even sure what it is exactly that I read, since it is so unlike anything I've ever read before. All I know is that I enjoyed reading every second of it and ended up LOVING it to pieces.

I was already a huge fan of Shay Savage's writing style after having read Surviving Raine but from now I think it's safe to say, I will for sure be reading each and every single one of her future books. Thepieces.

Mo
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well the first one was short and interesting…. This one was full on INTERESTING. Loved it, not my typical read. Gritty, violent, sad …

This one picks up just where the last one finished and I needed some answers

EVAN is intriguing….. I want him to have his HEA but just not seeing it wi
Lise *friends don't flag*
WOW..WOW...WOW... This book...Evan Arden...
Another 5 star plus read for me!

description

Gripping, exhilarating, heart stopping, surprising, suspenseful and emotionally draining- these are just a few of the things I felt while reading this book about hit man, Evan Arden.

I am so impressed by the way Shay Savage writes from a male POV. I read Surviving Raine a
Lucia
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars-read
WOW, I am speechless at the moment. I have never read anything like this book and it blew my mind. Original and captivating story, intense and messed up hero, brilliant writing. EXCELLENT COMBINATION!

I loved Otherwise Alone and I was extremely excited to read this sequel. Otherwise Alone is really short but attention-grabbing novella you definitely need to read before diving into this amazing book!

My Evan Arden:

My Evan Arden:

In Otherwise Occupied, Evan Arden tries to get back to good grace of his mob boss after he messed up big time couple of months ago and was sent to exile. Now back in Chicago, Evan gets easily annoyed, prefers to be on his own and keeps thinking about Lia, woman he met while hiding in cabin when being in exile but cannot have. But when nightmares from his military days force him to stay awake every night and make him uncapable of doing his job properly, he seeks distraction in the most unlikely person. How long can he keep pretenses and avoid inevitable???

No one can write such dangerous, jerk-like but irresistible heroes as Shay Savage. You know you should not like them but you end up accepting them anyway because they are honest and so damn charismatic no matter what they do. And that is exactly the case with Evan Arden in whose POV is this whole book written. All the time I was telling myself that probably I should not like this extremely dangerous exmilitary-turned-hitman but I could not help myself. Evan was never intentionally cruel and being in his head helped me to see things from his perspective. Even if it was quite messed up perspective.

Usually I would hate such a character but he was depicted in such a perfect and detailed way that made me feel like he was a real person whom I have known for years. I just accepted him the way he is.

I liked how perceptive Evan was but his memories from war were terrible and it gave me goose bumps every time he remembered something from his military times. It gave this story quite serious and depressive feel. It pained me to see how broken he became and to see all his despair...

It takes very talented writer to achieve what Shay Savage did with this book. She took me on emotional and adrenalin ride and I was still able to enjoy it immensely. Otherwise Occupied is rough, raw and heartbreaking story without restraints. Kudos to author for creating this un-down-puttable and unforgettable story!

If you are looking for traditional "bad boy falling in love" romance kind of story, you will not find it in this book. But if you want to read something trully original with brilliant writing and fascinating insight into damaged and messed up man, definitely go for this book. It will leave you thinking long after you finish it!

*ARC provided by L.J. Anderson as an exchange for honest review*

MORE REVIEWS ON MY BLOG Reading Is My Breathing
Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie
4.5 mind-blowing and I don't know what stars!!!

This book was brilliantly written, what blows my mind is that it was written by a woman! I mean I've read books where it's from the male POV but something always gives it away. If I could get into a guys head, I think this is exactly what it would be like minus the hitman for a mob boss part!

4.5 mind-blowing and I don't know what stars!!!

Otherwise Occupied picks up where Otherwise Alone left off. Evan Arden is back in Chicago trying to get back into his bosses good graces. With thoughts of Lia still lingering in his mind he has trouble focusing on his job, he finds comfort in an unlikely person.

Meanwhile his boss gives him a job to do, this could be it, the one thing that could get him back to his old status with his boss. He start's planning the perfect hit,but memories from his past keep getting in his way and he finds himself relying on one person too help chase his demons away.

Evan isn't a perfect man in fact he's a man full of flaws. But he's taken what life has handed him and done what he can with it. Everyone thinks they have him figured out but no one really knows what goes on in his head. Yes he's badass, yes he don't take shit but he had this deep craving, this need for acceptance. God that's sounds so corny, but he did! He surrounds himself in this seedy, shady world not because he has no other choice but because he doesn't think he deserves any better. I think that stemmed from him having never known his own parents.

When Evan has a hit to complete, he gives it his all, He definitely didn't hold back with the one his boss gave him! I mean I was a tad bit shocked, I thought he was gonna go all the way! Which would have been interesting for such a strong alpha male! Haha!!!

And every time he finished a job to perfection or got rid of an annoying character I was like.

But unfortunately he had a nemesis, who used something very close to him against him, because he wanted to take him out. I never saw it coming one minute I was like "Okay, relax Christine he'll be fine, this shit is gonna sort itself out!" But I guess it wouldn't have been real if it hadn't worked out the way it did. But not to sound like a ninny or anything but I had some tears in my eyes...

And I was somewhat angry at Evan...

But then shit got real, I mean it got up close and personal!!! I was in a state of panic and then it happened and I was like nooooo!!!

But at the same time I was like...

I was riveted, this book is a page turner. I won't call it a romance, it's Evan Arden's story. It's gripping and I can't wait for the next book!

ARC provided by L.J. Anderson in exchange for an honest review!
Duchess Nicole
Evan, Evan!!! What are you doing to me?!?! I just can't bring myself to five star this...same as with the first...because the cliffhanger is one of the WORST I've EVER read!!!! And we all know how grumpy I get about cliffies. This one left me in a sort of catatonic, zombie like state...

DEEP BREATHS!!!!...........AND ANOTHER!!!............ONE MORE.......

Okay...
MY SYNOPSIS:

Since being called back to Chicago by his boss, Evan hasn't been able to forget about Lia. She comes to mind far too often, and whereas she brought out the gentleMORE.......
destini mia
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another fabulous read from Shay Savage!Evan is now back in business working for the mob. He's still trying to get back into his boss' good graces, playing the good, little hit man. At least he has Odin. However, his demons aren't ready to let him go. Evan is plagued by nightmares and he's going to snap... soon. ...he seeks the comfort of sleep from an unlikely candidate, but will confiding in her be his undoing?My one though throughout the whole book:...he seeks the comfort of sleep from an unl ...more
Jamie
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shay Savage Does It Again!!!..

My mouth was just hanging open at the end of this book... holy shit.. holy freaking shit! This one picks up right after Otherwise Alone and you need to read that one before you venture into this one.

Evan is a hit man for the Chicago mafia and a former marine.. he's got issues all over the place.. he's a troubled man. He's not the good guy but he's not the bad guy either... when we first met Evan in Otherwise Alone, the first book ( Which is really short and you can probabl
Wendy'sThoughts
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Lost, Continued Adventure, The Bean Stars

Evan continues his journey back to Chicago hoping to get back into good graces with his crime family boss. While he was away doing his penitence for offing the nephew of another crime family member...others have tried to take his place... which does not sit well with him. Evan is not someone to have things "not sit well"... so he is wound tight and things start to happen because of this hyper awareness.

In this book, we learn quite a bit about Evan... the why and how damag
Shurrn
This book grabs your attention in a vice grip and doesn't let up through the final pages... I couldn't put it down, and I rushed to pick up the third installment Otherwise Unharmed... Thank goodness I had it waiting, or I would currently be foaming at the mouth.

Evan Arden is descending into Madness...
He cannot sleep,
He's haunted by dreams of 18 months spent as a POW,
He suspects his colleagues of conspiring against him,
He's seeking the comfort of a hooker to warm his bed,
He's traveling tMadness...
He
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
4.5 Holy Shit Stars

This book gets a star just for having one of the best depictions of my home town I've read to date.

It gets another star for being entirely in Evan's POV and being written in such a way that allows you inside his mind in such a flawless way, the story completely enthralls you. The
class="gr-hostedUserImg">
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
"Roses are red, Violets are blue. I'm just a fucked up hit man, and nothing rhymes with that.

And that pretty much sums up Evan Arden in a nutshell.

Otherwise Occupied picks up where Otherwise Alone left off. Evan is back in Chicago after spending 3ish months in Arizona, where he met Lia.

He had to leave her behind...knowing she didn't/couldn't fit in to his life. But he thinks about her constantly. He's not the same after leaving her.

Evan's past in the military was dark and gritty. He went through
Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️
My reaction to the conclusion to this novel.....
 photo gasp_zps9591e039.gif

Shay Savage, you best better be writing day and night after that ending. But we see what lack of sleep did to Evan Arden though, now didn't we?

This is the continued story of the emotionally torturous life of Evan Arden, ex Marine, and most importantly, a very emotionally scarred Iraq POW for 18 long months. You must read the first boo
Mira
Three Stars

After reading the first book 'Otherwise Alone' and I met Evan Arden, I was so hyped up for this book and I had high expectations.
description

At the beginning of the book, the hype was still there. Evan was as hot as ever and I was getting into it.
description

However as the book progressed, I began to feel agitated and annoyed at the storyline.

50% into the book, as the main character began to go crazy in the head
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
Book - Otherwise Occupied (Evan Arden Trilogy #1)
Author - Shay Savage
Publication Date - June 17, 2013
Type - Part of Series
Genre - Romance, Thriller
Rating - 4 1/2 out of 5 Stars

Review
I first had a problem with this book because I wanted Lia back in Evan's life but I understand the author's reasons for not. This is a total build up for the next book - Evan is battling his guilt over leaving the shack along with thinking about Lia constantly and the beautiful time they shared.

Book - Otherwise Occupied (Evan Arden Trilogy #1)
Author - Shay Savage
Publication Date - June 17, 2013
Type - Part of Series
Genre - Romance, Thriller
Rating - 4 1/2 out of 5 Stars

Review

I found myself pissed at Evan for bonding with Bridgett and constantly was hoping she was a "bad guy". I kept praying for a chance meeting between Evan and Lia but continually was disappointed when Lia didn't show up at any of the places Evan would be.

That ending though....damn, shit, fuck....that was heart-breaking and devastating --- the whole book brought us to that climax in the story and I'm dying to find out what happens next.

Evan is back from his banishment to the desert and he's trying to get back in the good graces of the man who sometimes calls him "son". Evan is battling with his PTSD from his time as a POW and it's only getting worse and worse. He's not sleeping without the night terrors and the only relief he gets is in the form of a prostitute named Bridgett. She is close in looks to Lia and Evan just needs her to be next to him in bed for a good nights rest.

Evan battles constantly with Bridgett wanting more than a "john"/"whore" relationship along with his recurring thoughts of Lia. He has a nemisis who wants Evan ousted along with his PTSD getting in the way of his "kills".

Wrap Up
There comes a time when even the hardest man will break when battling PTSD - the ending gutted me and I'm praying and praying that an angel will be able to save Evan from himself.
Kelli C ~ Jack Sawyer's Heart
Lieutenant Evan Arden...

You have "occupied my mind" most of this day. When I think of your tale up to this point I just think You need a good strong love fest!

The little introduction I had of you in Otherwise Alone was not nearly enough for me to fully grasp the chaos that is this man's mind! It is as if he is a complete enigma
Anna
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mind-blowing !
Literally ❤
Ok next book ..... I love binge reading ❤
Angie **loves angst**
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"There was just no way I was going to survive this."
Its funny that this quote is used in this book because this is exactly what I was thinking as I read it. I know this is going to sound very cliche' but I have to say it, this book owned me. When I started reading it I just couldn't stop. This book was a magnet and I was drawn in right from the beginning.

Evan Arden
"If I believed in a god, it would be the god of women's asses."

"Ifbeginning.
Evan
Dee Montoya
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
*****5+++ Explosive Stars*****

Again, I'm going to keep this real short because this series has me going crazy; I can't work, I can eat, I can't do anything other than think about this hunted man that has taken over my days and nights.

Evan is back in Chicago, trying to win back into his boss's good grace. He's trying to do his thing but the nightmares from his horrible past are back, the guilt he feels and all the demons that hunt him are driving him to edge of a dangerous cliff. He's also trying to forget Lia; the woman h
Elizabeth (Liz)
Dark, twisty brilliance…thy name is Shay Savage!! Holy puppies and rainbows, Batman! I don’t think Santa Claus exists in the fertile, scary playground that is the mind of this author, and I know he doesn’t exist in the world of Otherwise Occupied. But, you know what?! I LOVE IT!!! I’d probably go so far as to say that I can’t get enough of this author and her thoroughly unapologetic @sshole anti-heroes!

The story begins not long after the events of the novella, Otherwise Alone (book #
Rain ~miss kinky knickers~
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
“I told you it was going to end this way,” I whispered. “Why didn’t you listen to me?”

Oh... My... God! What the hell happened here?? And how long do I have to wait for Otherwise Unharmed? The title itself is making me bite my nails. Because, let's face it, unharmed is NOT something you can easily expect here. But, let's go back to the beginning...

When I first read Otherwise Alone, I thought that was it. And, I both loved and hated that story. It was just too short, without HEA - hell
♥Rachel♥
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to ♥Rachel♥ by: Buddy read with Bethany!
Otherwise Occupied was gritty, and in parts completely mortifying, but extremely addictive.

Evan is back from his exile from in the Arizona desert and working again for his Chicago crime boss, Rinaldo. Still, memories of his short time with Lia cloud his mind, but he believes that can never be. Instead he tries to put her out of his mind and focus on getting back into the good graces of Rinaldo. His boss quickly assigns him a difficult task, but in the meantime Evan’s stability is deteriorating. His PTS
Lucinda - I JUST LOVE TO READ
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: june-2013
5 STARS

I loved this book… WOW, this author is AMAZING.

It feels SO real. Sometimes I felt like I was standing right next to Evan. (Just not while he was busy with Bridgette bwahahaha!

I want no I NEED the book. When will it be available? I NEED IT NOW!

This book start where the 1st book stopped…

The last 2 chapters were INTENSE! Like really intense, I thought I was going to loose it. Oh fuck Evan lost it.

My favourite quotes:

Don’t you know what ARMY stands for? You have read to find out theit.
Didi
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I will say this again:

SHAY SAVAGE WRITES THE BEST MALE CHARACTERS.EVER.

Some may not agree, but judging how much I loved Surviving Raine and Otherwise Alone, I am biased towards the men she creates. They are alway damaged and almost, almost beyond repair. They are tortured souls that have gone through some sort of trauma and despite the appearance of steel on the outside, they're all glass on the inside.

They are not role models or perfect citizens. Hell, not ev
Heidi
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it

I picked up the first book Otherwise Alone and thought that was a pretty good, quick read. I jumped straight into the next book not really sure where it was going.... Mob, hitman, ex-marine.

It wasn't until I started reading Otherwise Occupied that I grasped the full intensity of this series. It has just been amazing. The words and thoughts going on in Evan's mind and the psychological turmoil he is experiencing can't be done justice in a review.

Evan is trying to reach that holy grail of feelings that is so devoid in his life. The
Elfina Renee
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I have been on reading marathon with this series and have no intentions of stopping. For those of you who wanna know more about the books, they are deliciously violent.
 photo Otherwise Occupied 01.jpg
Evan is a hit man who really doesn't have any remorse or problems getting the job done. Once a POW is now a hit man for the mafia, and he's damn good at his job. But lately he's been having sever issues with PTSD. Everyone closest to him worries he's about to snap, maybe they have a damn good reason to worry! Evan isn't a good
Crazy for Books (Stephanie)
Wow... All I can say is that was intense .

Evan Arden is back in Chicago after his exile in Arizona. Though things seem to be back to normal, Evan is having problems sleeping. As this increases his PTSD is getting worse and his thoughts of his time with Lia keep entering his mind. But he knows he has no place in her life and she would only be a liability or potentially be hurt by being in his life. But little things remind him of her. A smell, a quarter, someones hair.

One of his first assignments upo
Teresa
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Holy Cannoli!! 4 1/2 Stars!!

This book was totally not what I expected! It was like a trip down a dark, gritty, swirling, sand choked desert road. Evan Arden, mob hit man, last seen in Otherwise Alone, has returned to Chicago after a three month exile for misconduct. Back in the good graces of his mobster boss, we find Evan doing what he does best, murder. Somehow, after the first foray into his psyche, I thought we might see his redemption in this book, but instead we see a lot more of the dark side
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**
***3.5 You Threw Me for a Loop Stars***

So....

Who's confused?

That last 10%.....

description

This book is definitely not what I thought it was going to be after finishing the first one. It felt like an action/
 ~*~Princess Nhya~*~
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mind F*ckery

Okay, I have no idea what I just read, but I was riveted all the same. I went into this one expecting a certain type of continuation into the mystery and dark mind that is Evan Arden. What I came out with was shock, dismay, more confusion, a broken heart, fear, insanely unexplainable arousal; and more confusion.

I'm even more eager & afraid to see what will become of Evan

My heart breaks for him. My pulse speeds up because of him. My common sense tells me to run far, far away from hi
Buddy Read Zone: Otherwise Occupied (Evan Arden Trilogy #2) 8/23/2013 510 55 Aug 26, 2013 02:17PM

• Behold the Stars (Signal Bend, #2)
  • Escape from Paradise (Paradise, #1)
  • Wanderlust
  • Kiss Me (Kiss of Death #2)
  • Kill Me (Kiss of Death, #1)
  • The Divorce (The Relationship Quo, #1)
  • Breach (Breach, #1)
  • Locked and Loaded (The IMA, #3)
  • Sinister Kisses (SKALS, #1)
  • Trial by Fire (Raised by Wolves, #2)
  • Into the Storm (Signal Bend, #3)
  • Six Ways from Sunday (Southern Scrimmage #1)
  • Strong Side (Eastshore Tigers, #1)
  • Awakened by Sin (Crime Lord, #4)
  • Shelter: The Beginning
  • Shelter: The Reckoning
  • Shelter the return
  • Last Hit (Hitman, #1)
Shay Savage is an independent author from Cincinnati, Ohio, where she lives with her family and a variety of household pets. She is an accomplished public speaker and holds the rank of Distinguished Toastmaster from Toastmasters International. Her hobbies include off-roading in her big, yellow Jeep, science fiction in all forms, and soccer. Savage holds a degree in psychology, and she brings a lot ...more

Evan Arden (8 books)
  • Otherwise Alone (Evan Arden, #1)
  • Uncockblockable (Evan Arden, #2.5)
  • Otherwise Unharmed (Evan Arden, #3)
  • Isolated (Evan Arden, #4)
  • Irrevocable (Evan Arden, #5)
  • Otherwise Complete (Evan Arden, #1-3)
  • Evan Arden: The Complete Boxed Set (Evan Arden, #1-5)
“I felt like the end of an A-Team episode when everything worked out, and the heroes all got to go home and live happily ever after while the bad guys were put in jail. Except of course, I was the bad guy.
Whatever.”