Start by marking “Across the Event Horizon” as Want to Read:
Across the Event Horizon

Across the Event Horizon

Mercurio D Rivera has been tipped as ‘the next big thing’ by critics and readers alike. He first burst onto the scene in 2006 with “Longing for Langalana”. Featured in Interzone, “Langalana” won the magazine’s readers’ poll for best story of that year and became the first of many pieces to gain honourable mention in Gardner Dozois’ Year’s Best anthology. Since then, Mercur ...more
Published April 28th 2013 by NewCon Press (first published March 26th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Across the Event Horizon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Across the Event Horizon

Start your review of Across the Event Horizon
Paul
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don’t read a massive amount of science fiction but when Newcon Press got in touch and offered me the opportunity to check out this collection of short stories by Mercurio D Rivera I had to admit I was intrigued. I thought I’d give it a go. Fourteen stories, there was bound to be something that piqued my interest…

Turns out I may have under-estimated just a little, this is an utterly splendid collection from beginning to end.

Dance of the Kawkawroons - Imagine seeing the same series of events tol
Stefan
Over the last few years, Mercurio D. Rivera has published some great, intriguing science fiction short stories in markets such as Interzone and Asimov’s. He’s been anthologized in one of Hartwell & Cramer’s annual “Best of” collections, received several honorable mentions in the Gardner Dozois ones, and had a story included in the John Joseph Adams anthology Other Worlds Than These. Thanks to NewCon Press, you can now find a goodly number of his short stories in the excellent new collection Acro ...more
Wendy S. Delmater
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mercurio D. Rivera is not a writer. He’s an effing force of nature.

This is one of the best short story collections I have ever read. Ever. You know that blow-by-blow, story-by-story description of short stories I usually do? I’m not doing that here. I don’t want to give anything away, or deprive you of one molecule of the overwhelming pleasure you’re sure to get from reading these works.

It has an introduction by Terry Bisson. Terry Bisson, and he’s impressed. So am I. What a powerhouse writer Ri
Karen Heuler
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
The stories in Rivera’s collection are thoughtful, surprising, and very smooth, leading this reader happily along the many directions he takes. He likes to play with point of view as well as with ideas, and his stories travel all over the galaxy, investigating both treacheries and loves. My favorites were the one about the Missionaries, and the one about the alternate worlds, which was just deliciously funny. I look forward to his next collection.
Matt Dent
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This review was originally published in issue #247 of science-fiction magazine Interzone. You can buy back issues and subscribe to future issues at their shop.

When I was a fresh-faced pup, new to the beckoning worlds of science-fiction and their siren calls of “what-if”, one of the first stories I chanced upon was in TTA’s own podcast –- a little tale entitled “The Scent of Their Arrival”, by a wordsmith called Mercurio D. Rivera.

It clearly had some sort of impact, given that I’m still devouring
Paula
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Across the Event Horizon is a diverse collection of short stories. In 2011 the story Tu Sufrimiento Shall Protect Us was nominated for the World Fantasy Award and also made Honorable Mention in Year’s Best Horror. A dark tale of suffering to keep the “terroristas” away.

In Snatch Me Another we find a world gone mad with parallel realities. One needs only to reach down into the “snatcher” to grab a replacement for anything, be it an inanimate object or a living being. Lindy and Kristina lost their
Cave
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A collection of some of the finest short stories of the genre. The beauty inherent within each of the stories highlights the plight of the human condition as we progress ever further into a technological future.
Cezara
Mar 16, 2014 rated it liked it
This is hard to rate. Some stories were quite spectacular, others didn't really catch my fancy. I might re-rate it after I think about it for a while.
Alvin
Nov 14, 2015
Mincho Jacob
Apr 24, 2014
Vedrana
May 22, 2016
Brad
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
These stories are amazing. It's a perfect collection of strange, hardcore scifi.
Mary
Fabio Bruna
Jul 22, 2020

• The Witches Are Coming
  • Pretend She's Here
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • The Socialist Manifesto: The Case for Radical Politics in an Era of Extreme Inequality
  • Wildhood: The Epic Journey from Adolescence to Adulthood in Humans and Other Animals
  • Surviving and Thriving with an Invisible Chronic Illness: How to Stay Sane and Live One Step Ahead of Your Symptoms
  • The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)
  • The Tale of Genji
  • The Punch Escrow
  • Theft by Finding: Diaries 1977-2002
  • The Uncollected David Rakoff: Including the entire text of Love, Dishonor, Marry, Die, Cherish, Perish
  • One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories
  • Crises and Conflicts: Celebrating the First 10 Years of NewCon Press
  • From Decision To Close: A 40-Step No Nonsense, Straight to the Point Guide to Buying A Home (40 Steps Series Book 1)
  • Killing November (Killing November, #1)
  • His Hideous Heart