Start by marking “Fran's Flower” as Want to Read:
Fran's Flower

Fran's Flower

One day Fran found a flowerpot filled with soil. "I will grow this flower," Fran said. "Grow flower." But the tips stayed tiny.

Fran is determined to get her flower bud to grow. But what do you feed a fussy flower? Fran figures that the flower will flourish on her own favorite foods--pizza, spaghetti, even strawberry ice cream! But the stubborn bud refuses to bloom. Finally
Published March 22nd 2000 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Fran's Flower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fran's Flower

Start your review of Fran's Flower
I really like this book. It is silly and simple and the illustrations are bright. I read this book with groups of two-year olds and their caregivers. The story was perhaps more than most of them could understand, but it still held their interest. I used it as an introduction to a storytime about flowers, and this book introduced the things that flowers need.
Mykenna Baker
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was cute! It would be a great book to read to students for a science lesson over plants. The little girl thinks that giving the plant real food will make it grow, but doesn't realize the plant needs sunlight and water. She puts it outside and gets amazing results! ...more
Tatum
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like this book because it tells us to be very very patient. And it tells you how flowers grow. I also like this book because it is very funny because the girl just says, grow flower!!! I give this book four stars.
Cecelia
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such an adorable book! I loved this book as a child and will love to read this to any children I encounter in my life. It's so creative, colorful and fun for both the adult and the child.
One of my favorites and I am glad my family read it to me.
Richelle Rininger
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute book the kids enjoyed it.
Colorado Buck
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Fiction- picture book
Awards:
Audience: 4-8 years old
A. This book has very few words on a page and the illustrations add to the story to make it more entertaining!
B. The texture of the illustrations really gives much more dimension and makes the illustrations much more interesting. The illustrations help the story come alive and help guide the story.
C. I would use this book to help students understand what growing a flower entails and all the steps you should and shouldn't take to grow a f
Jackie
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
So colorful and bright!...Fran's Flower is a silly story about Fran and her desire to nurture a tiny seedling into a flower. She expects that her favorite foods (pizza, ice cream, etc.) will be just what the plants needs to grow. Of course, kids will know that this is crazy, but it is a great interactive picture book that will have the kids shaking their heads. After Fran throws the plant outside, it gets all the things it needs...rain, sunshine.

Used for "Flowers!" Story Time: April, 2012.
Erin Buhr
GROW FLOWER GROW! is the kind of happy, silly book that screams Springtime to me. Fran, with the help of her dog Fred, decide to grow a flower. After planting it, she offers it every kind of food, from pizza to dog bones, she can think of to help it grow. Nothing works, so she throws it outside where, of course, with the sunshine and rain it surprises her by growing. Little ones will delight at Fran's goofy ideas and the brightly colored illustrations. ...more
Theresa
Aug 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Fran finds a sprout of a plant. When it doesn't grow, she gives it some of her favorite foods. Of course, they does nothing for the sprout. Feeling frustrated, she throws the plant outside where it receives just what it needs, sunshine and rain. One day, Fran walks out to a grand surprise- a beautiful flower.

O.k. very basic text. Not much detail. Don't purchase.
Raven Grider
Apr 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations in this story will have you engaged from the very first page all the way to the last! I would use this book before having students plant their own seeds or flowers. The book discusses the process of how to make a plant grow. I would use this for first grade or kindergarten!
Miss Sarah
Mar 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: gardening
Fran finds a tiny seedling popping out of a pot and takes it home to grown. She feeds it all her favorite foods: cheeseburger, pizza, spaghetti but it just won't grow. She throws it outside and it gets rained on and suddenly it starts to grow. I wished the pictures were sharper.
Satin
This book teaches students about growing plants in a very student-friendly way. It explains to students that although plants need the same things that humans need to grow, they require i in a different way.
Kate Hastings
Feb 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: toddlers preschool spring
Shelves: springstorytimes
This book is now in print under the title Grow Flower, Grow.

The story of a girl who feeds her seedling pizza, ice cream, etc and gets frustrated, so she throws it outside when it won't grow.

There the flower gets everything it needs... and grows.
Sha-Quita Jordan
A story about a girl named Fran who tried to grow a plant. She fed the plant with food and it did not grow. She placed it oitside in the rain and sun. Finally the plant growed. Appropriate grade level 1st-3rd grade. A great book to read when teaching about flowers and what it needs to grow.
Rebecca
Oct 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm glad my colleagues introduced this to me in early puppet-show days; I've recommended it to a lot of people since then as a simple gardening book, too. ...more
M. Walker
Nov 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: dist
She feeds it silly things. Bright and colorful. DIST
Melissa
Bright and silly--I think it would be fun for both preschoolers (who will know Fran is screwed up) and for toddlers (for whom this might be a fun introduction to what plants need).
Stephanie Wycihowski
Jan 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A fun summer or spring read with young children! The perfect book to then take and plant a seed after reading!
Lindsey
I really enjoyed this book. I think it would be a great book for science integration. You could use it to teach students how to care for plants.
Alison
Aug 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
The class found this story very amusing.
Bridget
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny book about how Fran gets her flower to grow!
Emily
Sep 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kiddy-books
i
Haley
This is such a cute book. This is a story that could easily happen to any young kid trying to grow a plant. In the end the girl realizes what a plant needs to grow talk and strong.
Joy Lane
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e, e-storytime-0-5
Good for 3 yr old Storytime
Stacey
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Great book that really engages the young mind. I read this last week to two groups of preschoolers and both loved it, laughing out loud at the little girl who tries to feed a sprout some pizza.
Nanee Zogaa
Apr 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Book that would be great to use for a science lesson on what plants need to grow. Good for grades k-1st.
Susan
Jul 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books-jp
An always-a-hit at storytime with the three to five year old set.
Madkropotkin
My daughter picked this book for our reading day.
Roxy

• Never Touch a Monster
  • The Wicked + The Divine #20
  • Fierce Femmes and Notorious Liars
  • The Wicked + The Divine #16
  • Dark Sky Rising: Reconstruction and the Dawn of Jim Crow (Scholastic Focus)
  • The Wicked + The Divine #14