Dismiss This group has been designated for adults age 18 or older. Please sign in and confirm your date of birth in your profile so we can verify your eligibility. You may opt to make your date of birth private.

Start by marking “The Secrets of Mia Danvers (Dangerous Liaisons, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Secrets of Mia Danvers (Dangerous Liaisons, #1)

The Secrets of Mia Danvers

(Dangerous Liaisons #1)

A lone witness finds her protector…

Since losing her sight in a childhood accident, Mia Danvers has resided in a small cottage on the vast Carrington estate. Thought to be dead, Mia lives a life of virtual seclusion—until one night, while walking home, she happens upon a horrendous crime.

Alex Foster, Eighth Duke of Carrington, lives according to society’s expectations for
Published June 18th 2013 by InterMix

To ask other readers questions about The Secrets of Mia Danvers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secrets of Mia Danvers

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Jane Eyre meets Pride and Prejudice meets Anne Perry.

This book has everything I ever wanted in an HR. Wonderfully complex main characters, a supportive, likeable supporting cast, all with varying degrees of depths. The bad guys, the rakes...there is no black and white here. Things happen for a reason, people are good/bad for a reason, there are no Disney-like villains here.

The mystery is actually an integral part of the plot. Imagine that! This is no thinly-veiled excuse to write a bodice-ripper
E.G. Manetti
In a unique and page-turning spin on historical-romance, this novel features a blind-heroine who deftly manages to live her life and help the handsome nobleman hunt a killer. Set in the Victorian era, it's nicely spooky while adding sufficient quirks and twists to keep the reader guessing. The only downside was the hero's ongoing angst about being torn between 'doing the right thing' and meeting parental expectations in his choice of wife or following his heart. Our hero was otherwise both honor ...more
Delirious Disquisitions
DNF at 30%. Despite the overwhelming good reviews this book is just not for me. I was bored out of my mind reading it. The characters felt very bland. There is almost instantaneous attraction between our main characters that just felt very contrived. Also, I'm very much put out by the fact that the Duke and our protagonist Mia start almost immediately calling each other by their maiden names! You just met each other! That's the height of impropritary in Victorian times. I cannot believe no one w ...more
Liz F
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Review copy courtesy of the publisher via NetGalley

I. Loved. This. Book. I think that this is the most unique and interesting historical romance that I've ever read. Ever!

First off, lets discuss characters. Mia Danvers, our heroine. I loved her. She's blind due to a childhood accident. That, in itself, is a new one for me. I don't think I've read any historical romances where the heroine has any kind of "disability". I wouldn't say that blindness is a disability and for sure, it isn't for Mia. I
Kusanagi
C'est un 4 parce que la romance est plutôt classique.... alors que la façon de raconter l'histoire non. Pour une romance s'entend ^^

Ici on a une histoire à plusieurs voix, situer 2-3 mois après l'arrêt de meurtres à Whitechapel. Plusieurs voix, celles, classiques des héros... celles de certains des personnages secondaires qui vivent la romance secondaire.... mais celle aussi.... et là ça apporte son lot de pertubationnage, du tueur. Et d'un "suspect".
Et je dois avouer que se retrouver dans la t
Mei
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
I liked it. I really did, but I would rate it 4 and 1/2 stars.

Because there was something about that I found missing. I really cannot point my finger at what it was exactly, but still…

The story is solid and I enjoyed the blind heroine and her strength. She was awesome! She was so unconventional in everything she did. She’s a sculptor in spite of her blindness. She’s independent. She’s smart. She’s a realist and knows the limitations the society imposes on her. She’s courageous and admits her des
Jaclyn
I was really excited to read The Secrets of Mia Danvers. I thought the premise was amazing. I loved the idea of blind heroine involved in murder mystery, and Mia certainly proved her capability in aiding the investigation. However, when it came to the romance I was left feeling like I’d been tossed all over the place.

As a witness to a murder, Mia knows she has to share what she overheard with someone. The logical choice is Alex Foster, the Duke of Carrington, who is essentially her landlord. She
Rashika (is tired)
I am not sure any words I have will do this book justice so I am not going to attempt to write a review.. but I am going to write a(n unorganized) collection of thoughts.

This book is very filling and really just invokes a lot of emotions. Unlike most other historical romances out there it is not full of fluff and humor, yes there are bits that will make you smile but this book is more of an emotional read.

These characters are so well-developed with so much depth. Their emotions become your own,
Joy (Cheery♡Reads)
The day I bought this was also the day I finished it. So bloody good, thrilling and frustrating. You know, I didn't know anything about the author and the existence of this brilliant story. I read about it in my Heroes&Heartbreakers' subscription and it was these two main factors that drew me to get it:

1. The Murder - Yeah, I'm a sucker for murder and mystery stories/plot.

2. Blind Heroine - I know right? I've a penchant for blind, deaf, bluestocking and disabled one way or another heroes an
Cheryl Sanders
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! What an amazing twist on the "Jack the Ripper" story line. Mia Danvers is a blind woman who has been on her own since she was very young. Alex Foster is the Duke of Carrington whose family responsibilities are tremendous. And then there's Jack, who inadvertently brings these two people together with mysterious plot twists and turns. This is the first book in the "A Dangerous Liaisons" series and it was AMAZING! I absolutely love Robyn DeHart's style of writing and I can't wait to rea ...more
Christal (Badass Book Reviews)

See this review and others like it at Badass Book Reviews!

I don't read a lot of historical romance, but The Secrets of Mia Danvers was the perfect read for me. I loved how the romance didn't overshadow the mystery and that Mia wasn't the typical HR heroine. This is a series I definitely intend to continue with and I can't wait to find out who The Ripper really is.

Mia Danvers is a blind, young woman whose family has abandoned to a carriage house on the Duke of Carrington's property. She
Bonnie-Anne Carmichael (Love Triangles Are Fucking Stupid.)
(view spoiler) ...more
Trisha
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Day 2 of The Great Historical Romance Reading Binge

I came in with high hopes and it may have led me to the downfall of this book.

After reading a few reviews and the intriguing mystery that was offered in the summary, I had already decided that I would probably like it and I eagerly endeavored to finish it. It was only when there was a few chapters left that I realised why I was beginning to feel irritated. This whole fucking book read like a checklist for a formula of an agreeable book.

Everyo
Isa Lavinia
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it

An interesting mystery and a dull romance.

Lady Mia Danvers lost her eyesight when she was young. Her family, having lost her father, the Earl, and having to leave the family's estates to the male next-of-kin, find themselves destitute. They make the reproachable decision to abandon Mia in a cottage bordering the estate of Alex, the Duke of Carrington, and move in with a wealthier cousin.

Years later, her mother dead, and her sisters comfortably married, Mia still lives forgotten in her cottage.
Melanie
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This novel reminded me of how good Robyn DeHart is at plotting her stories, and how well she writes her characters. As usual, she creates her heroines as strong, independent women and her heroes are just as strong and determined men.

The story opens up with Mia literally being abandoned by her family, and at sixteen years of age this young woman was such a wonderful and courageous soul that the scenes made me cry and wish to pummel her mother.

After nine years of living in a small cottage, off of
Sloane
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, and I'm not normally a huge fan of historical romance. Mia Danvers is a strong heroine who speaks her mind and is not afraid to stand up to a Duke even though she's blind. The Jack the Ripper storyline and Mia's determination to build a life for herself in the face of a disability is fantastic. Kept me turning the pages. Took me 8 hours, but I read this book straight through - my first vacation read and I still have a week to go!

I will definitely be downloading another Robyn D
Clementine
DNF @ 25%

So I can't shelve this under "disabled characters" because this is not how a blind person would act. Heck, this is without a doubt the worst depiction of a blind person I have ever read.

Plus it was cliché and historically inaccurate. And I'm so fucking done.
Keertana
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5 Stars
Dabney
May 27, 2013 rated it liked it

this review was originally published at DearAuthor.com

Dear Ms. Dehart:

The Secrets of Mia Danvers is implausible. It features Jack the Ripper as the villain. The heroine is beautiful, blind, abandoned by her family, and a stellar sculptor. The high and mighty hero pursues another woman while seducing his true love.

These elements should have made your book a chore to read but, surprisingly, they didn’t. The Secrets of Mia Danvers won’t make it onto my list of ballin’ bodice rippers (my favo
Tin
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Disclosure:I received a copy of this book from the author for review purposes. Many thanks to Robyn DeHart and InterMix for the opportunity. Yes, this is an honest review.

Thought to be dead, Mia Danvers, the youngest daughter of an earl, has lived quietly with her companion on the edge of the Duke of Carrington's estate. When she was brought to the cottage by her mother nine years ago, she was told never to be a burden or a bother to the duke's family -- and Mia has abided by these rules.

Until M
Ki
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
(Originally posted on doingsomereading)

So this is the first book in Robyn’s new series Dangerous Liaison! I’m telling you, I’m loving it so much that I’m going to email her about how great it is!

This is a mystery romance thriller-ish book base on the ever terrifying unsolved cases of the Jack the Ripper trope.

We have the hero, Alex Foster, Eighth Duke of Carrington who lives by the rules of society. An former army man and now the new Duke after his elder brother’s unfortunate and scandalous deat
Adria (Musings and Reviews)
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on Adria's Romance Reviews

I've read Robyn DeHart's books before and enjoyed them but none so much as The Secrets of Mia Danvers. Romance, mystery and danger made this book difficult to put down, especially at night!

Mia Danvers is one of the very few historical romance novels I've read that contains a disabled heroine who DOESN'T have the benefit of social rank or money to protect her from the slights of society. At the beginning of the book, she is basically being told by her o
Loren
Overall, I enjoyed the plot very much. The premise of a blind woman witnessing an attack by Jack the Ripper was an excellent hook, and I liked that the author gave us glimpses of Jack's POV, something that added an extra layer of creepiness to the story.

(view spoiler)
Mary
One of the benchmarks I use when deciding if I really like a book is if I care about the characters and in this book I started caring in the prologue! When you meet Mia Danvers she is going through what would eventually be the low point of her life. I was instantly entranced by what would happen to this woman.

When the actual story begins 9 years later I was happy to see that Mia was doing much better than anyone expected. She's as independent as can be expected. She has a wonderful friend in Rac
Genevieve Scholl
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jack the Ripper was the name that was given to an unidentified serial killer in 1800's London. He typically murdered female prostitutes, mutilating them after slitting their throats and removed some of their internal organs. This case, has been widely discussed, researched, and even been highly subjected to speculation; from some people thinking that the killer was a doctor to the possibility of other worldly influences. As you can tell, the killer was never caught. However, this case has inspir ...more
My Book Addiction and More MBA
THE SECRETS OF MIA DANVERS by Robyn DeHart is an exciting Regency Historical Romance set in 1889 London. The first in a new and exciting series, "A Dangerous Liaison"novel. Mia Danvers meet Jack the Ripper and survived! While, Mia is blind her other senses are not,she hears,Jack the Ripper killing one of his victims and reports the event to Alex Foster, Eighth Duke of Carrington,the owner of the estate she has been secluded on for the past nine years by her family after a tragic accident left he ...more
Christelle
C'était un bon livre, et j'ai passé un agréable moment, mais je pense qu'il manquait un petit quelque chose pour lui donner un 5/5.
Si l'intrigue policière était solide, et j'ai d'ailleurs vraiment hâte de lire la suite de la série pour en savoir plus sur la traque de Jack l'Evantreur, j'ai trouvé qu'il manquait quelque chose à l'intrigue amoureuse qui était un peu trop convenue, un peu trop classique, alors que le personnage principal féminin, qui l'était un peu moins, avait vraiment du potenti
Vampress Bathory
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK WITH MY WHOLE HEART!!!!! Romance, Action & Mystery= This book had it all and i must say in great balance!

Mia is a very brave and very skillful character and her blindness it's not an obstacle for her.
Alex, the duke it's an honorable man and the very gentleman and he cares a great deal for the people close to his heart. I enjoyed the way their relationship developed. It was not 'love at first sight' not even lust at first sight, just a very normal educated male-female i
Pam
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
At sixteen when Mia should have been getting ready for her Season, her mother was dropping her off at a small cottage to live out the rest of her life. Her sisters needed to make a good match to save the family and they could not afford to have Mia around. An accident had taken her eyesight and according to her mother it had also taken her chance for a good marriage. The cottage was at the edge of the Duke of Carrington’s property and along with Rachel her governess, she has stayed for several y ...more
Melody  May (What I'm Reading)
Posted on What I'm Reading

All right, I just finished The Secrets of Mia Danvers by Robyn DeHart, which happens to be the first book in Dangerous Liaisons series. Yes, there is danger in this story. I hope you all would expect that, since we find Jack the Ripper in the story.

We meet Mia Danvers who happens to be blind and living on the Duke of Carringtion's property. While traveling home late one night, Mia happens to stumble upon a murder and decides to tell the Duke.

Alex Foster, Duke of Carri
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 15, 2015 06:15PM
  • Entwined (The Ten, #1)
  • A Man of Privilege (Lawyers in Love, #2)
  • Miss Goldsleigh's Secret (The Secret Series, #2)
  • A Lily Among Thorns
  • More Than a Stranger (Sealed With a Kiss, #1)
  • Let It Be Me (The Blue Raven, #5)
  • When Tempting a Rogue (Victorian Soap Opera, #3)
  • Once Upon A Wallflower
  • What a Rogue Desires (Reece Family Trilogy, #2)
  • The Portrait
  • The Lotus Palace (The Pingkang Li Mysteries, #1)
  • The Luckiest Lady in London (The London Trilogy #1)
  • Song For Sophia (Rougemont, #1)
  • Never A Lady
  • Scandal (Scandal, #1)
  • Fool Me Twice (Rules for the Reckless, #2)
  • An Heiress at Heart (Love's Grace, #1)
  • The Heiress Effect (Brothers Sinister, #2)
National Bestselling author, Robyn DeHart’s novels have appeared in the top bestselling romance and historical romance lists. Her books have been translated into nearly a dozen languages. Her historical romantic adventure series, The Legend Hunters, were not only bestsellers, but also award-winners, snagging a Reader’s Crown and a Reviewer’s Choice award. She had three releases in 2013 and 2014 wi ...more

Dangerous Liaisons (2 books)
  • The Temptations of Anna Jacobs (Dangerous Liaisons, #2)