Start by marking “Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search, Part 2 (The Search, #2)” as Want to Read:
Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search, Part 2  (The Search, #2)

Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search, Part 2 (The Search #2)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  4,723 Ratings  ·  223 Reviews
Enter the Forgetful Valley

As Fire Lord Zuko continues his quest to uncover his mother's fate, a shocking revelation causes him to question everything he knows. It's an opportunity that his sister, the deadly and insane Azula, will not fail to take advantage of as she joins Zuko and his friends, Aang, Katara, and Sokka on their journey into a mysterious forest from which so
Published July 10th 2013 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Avatar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Avatar

sana  °¤°
Mini review is up.

This picks up after the horrible cliffhanger we were left off at book one. In all three books, the past of Forelord Ozai and Ursa's relationship is revealed. Ozai was so controlling and came off as abusive, yikes. His behavior toward his wife and his son is just so cruel and gross and this guy needs to die in a ditch. The more we get to know about him, the more I hate him.

We also see Azula's inner struggle with herself and her mother. She's such a complex character and I'm exc
Iryna (Book and Sword)
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was great.
Azula facial expressions are crazy! Crazy.

I can't wait to see where this goes. Ursa might be one of the most interesting side characters ever.

I only wish that Toph was in this one too. But I guess you can't have everything.
Jahanzaib Asim
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
EVEN BETTER THAN THE FIRST ONE
AAAAAAAAAA
I'M AVATAR TRASH
SJ
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, graphic-novel
As with the first installment of this three-part series, I am trying to with-hold my final judgment until I see the ultimate resolution of the storyline. But it's getting harder not to just be flat-out irate over what is, from my perspective, a bastardization of beloved characters from a complex and layered story that are now being flattened into a book that appears to be aimed at seven-year-olds. There are reveals in this Part Two that I find discontinuous from the characters as portrayed in th ...more
Jen • Just One More Page

Review for all three parts under the cut.
(view spoiler)
Cath
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
4/5 stars
This one was way better than Part 1. Azula didn't annoyed me as much...but now and again she has moments.

*sigh* That panel where Katara was waterbending the vines made me want to weep, it was so beautiful.
Macarena
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
OMG el plot twist.
Yesenia Olivo
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
The first part of this trilogy introduced some background on Ursa, Zuko's mother. We learned where she grew up, and a little of what life was like before she was forced to marry Prince Ozai. It was revealed that she tried to maintain contact with her boyfriend (fiancee? I've forgotten) Ikem by way of letters that were intercepted by Ozai's subjects, thereby never reaching their destination. Finally, it is hinted that Zuko may not even be the legitimate heir to the throne; he could be Ursa and Ik ...more
Swankivy
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
"She was born lucky. You were lucky to be born."

That's a pretty harsh thing for a dad to say. But it fits Fire Lord Ozai perfectly. In this story, we see how ruthless he was through some flashbacks that are interspersed with the current adventure. Zuko and Azula as children--Azula already cruel and calculating, hiding behind her childishness to portray false innocence--are caught up in a plot that puts Ozai's deep cruelty on display, revealing why Zuko's mother disappeared and what she was force
Samrat Dey
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
The greatest cliff-hanger at the end of the original series was the undisclosed fate of Zuko's mother, the banished Princess Ursa. The Dark Horse graphic novels, written in collaboration with the creators of the original series, continued the story. While the previous Promise trilogy addressed the socio-political crises faced by the Fire Nation colonies after the war, the ongoing Search trilogy is a more personal story, attempting to address the mystery surrounding Zuko's mother.

Whether it succe
Eddy
Mar 21, 2013 rated it liked it
A bit more interesting than the first book in this series, but I was left wanting more. While fans who have obsessed over Zuko and the fate of his mom (ie not something I ever cared that much about) will probably enjoy some extra details, I found the cut-and-paste nature of some of the flashbacks to be wasted space in what is a very precious limited resource of pages.

Introducing new characters when the ones currently taking the journey are being narratively ignored (see: Sokka & Katara) is a
Abigail
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!
I don't think this one is as good as the first one, but this one is still great!
The artwork is fantastic and writing is wonderful, I love these characters and the writers do a great job of making the characters exactly as they were in the show.
It was great to see the reason behind why Zuko's mother disappered.
I also adore the parallels between Sokka and Katara's lovely sister-brother relationship and the complicated angry sister-brother relationship between Zuko and Azula.

I enjoy
Raha Shirley
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Avatar fans , Zuko lovers
Shelves: comic-books, 2014
You know how hard it is to keep something as good as it was before? Excellent job! You did it with Search successfully.

I can't help but fall in love with "Search"

Review in Persian / ریویو به فارسی:

میدونید چقدر سخت میشه یه داستان رو توی سطح بالا نگه داشت؟ به همون خوبی ای که قبلا بوده؟ میخوام به نویسنده های این کمیک تبریک بگم چون خوب نگه داشتن این مجموعه ( جست و جو ) در این حد اصلا کار آسونی نیست.

جست و جو برای منِ طرفداره و به من تعلق داره، لحظه به لحظه بیشتر عاشقش میشم و با هر صفحه اش غرق در خوشی
Sonja [BadassWanderer]
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ATLA fans
I'm addicted to these ATLA graphic novels! They are fantastic!
"She was born lucky. You were lucky to be born."
"No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are."
Ashley
I love it when the Avatar does spirit stuff. Azula is CRAZY. WHERE IS ZUKO'S MOM.
Loeloe
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm so glad I have the next one ready to go...
Zohal
Apr 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I liked this one but for the middle volume it acts as more of a bridge for the final volume in this particular Avatar trilogy.
Sasha (whispersofthesilentwind)
Note: review to cover all three volumes.

The Search finally gives us what all ATLA fans have been dying to know. When I realized that we would finally be about to know I was so ecstatic! I mean finally learning about the dark, shadowy mystery that is Ursa.

"Finding a clue at last, Zuko enlists the aid of Team Avatar—and the most unlikely ally of all.." as we have Azula plastered on the cover, I mean spoiler alert!

PART ONE:
Does Fire Lord Azulon think breeding with Avatar Ruko's line is goi
Feliza Casano
Originally posted on Girls in Capes.

This review contains spoilers for The Search Part One, the first book in the graphic novel trilogy. A majority of the review will be hidden behind a spoiler button.

In the second installment of THE SEARCH, a graphic novel series set months after the events of Avatar: The Last Airbender, Fire Lord Zuko continues his search for his mother, Ursa, accompanied by the Avatar, his companions Katara and Sokka, and – unfortunately for the rest of the group – Zuko’s unst
Julie Decker
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
While continuing their travels to find their lost mother, Zuko and Azula remain in their unsteady truce, with Azula's hallucinations of Ursa driving her to frequent outbursts. Katara, Sokka, and especially Aang struggle to keep the peace. Following a cold trail from some theater troupe members Ursa used to perform with, the motley group finds their way into the Forgetful Valley, only to encounter another pair of siblings who need their help. Interspersed with this story are vibrant flashbacks to ...more
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Every time I sit down to read one of these for the first time I end up smiling and squeeing like a freaking lunatic. It’s honestly hard not to. The show left off with most of the questions answered but there was one question that burned a hole in everyone’s minds, where is Zuko’s mother? Part one started us on a journey to find her and answer some questions about Zuko’s family, and now Part two is getting us a bit closer.

I love that we’re getting to see more of Azula post-defeat and just how har
NerdyBirdie
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hey guys! This is my very quick review Avatar: The Airbender: The Search, Part Two. This is the second part in the second comic trilogy for Avatar. This is written by Gene Luen Yang, Bryan Konietzko, Michael Dante DiMartino, and Gurihiru (the Artist).

This book continues with the Fire Lord Zuko’s search for his mother. I liked this book better, because I found that there was more question as to where some facts revealed in the story were true or not. THE ENDING WAS BETTER . . . SO MUCH BETTER. I
Thesilverqueen
Sep 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
ARE YOU FUCKİNG KILLING ME?

I'm fan of cartoons and learning about Zuko's mother's destiny is something ı have been waiting for a time and you can understand how excited ı was for this.

Gene crushed my dreams.

(view spoiler)
Errin
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, graphic-novels
A solid sequel even though nothing as mindblowing as the bombs dropped in Part One happened. The flashbacks didn't show anything we didn't already know but seeing Ursa's love and devotion for BOTH her children never fails to warm my heart. (view spoiler) And the sibling parallels were great too. Zuko and Azula! Zuko and Ursa! Azula and Ursa! I ...more
Elevetha
Loved the flashbacks and backstory, especially since they all concerned Azula and Zuko and Ursa, which is just what I wanted.

Not as much humor in this part as the first but that seemed to fit the darker tone of this book, what with Azula's further descent into insanity. (Not even going to bother spoiler tagging that. Everyone knew it was coming/happening.)

And I absolutely adored every single bit we got on Zuko. Every. Single. Bit.
Virginia
Good middle entry in this trilogy. The art is beautiful and Ursa and Ozai's history are fleshed out even more. Of course, it ends on a cliffhanger. Can't wait for the last book. I just pre-ordered it!
Steph
A quick and fun read! My favorite line: Sokka to Azula: "Nature hates you!"
Merve Özcan
Oct 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Bu çok boştu ama :D Final için umutluyum.
Alix West
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't even remember what happened at this point, but let's assume I loved it because ZUKO <3 <3 <3
Reading Words 13
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: signed
4.5 rating. This book had less action but still tells part of the fascinating story of what happened to Zuko's mother. The story ties in well with what was mentioned in the tv show, which I appreciate.

***spoilers*** A man named Noren, who they encounter in Hira'a, is so kind and welcoming, as well as his family. The faces that Aang make are funny, but also make sense to the story. The waterbending portion by the end of the book looked so lovely and graceful.

At the very end, it made me want to c
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Lost Adventures
  • The Legend of Korra: The Art of the Animated Series Book One: Air
  • Young Justice Vol. 1
  • The Last Airbender: Prequel - Zuko's Story
  • Princeless, Vol. 2: Get Over Yourself
  • Adventure Time: Pixel Princesses  (Adventure Time OGN, #2)
  • Hilda and the Black Hound
  • The Lost Scrolls: Fire
  • Hades and the Helm of Darkness (Heroes in Training, #3)
  • Young Justice Vol. 4: Invasion
  • Forces of Change (W.I.T.C.H. Graphic Novels, #6)
  • My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Volume 2
  • Valve Presents Volume 1: The Sacrifice and Other Steam-Powered Stories
  • Fairy Quest: Outlaws (Fairy Quest, #1)
  • Finder, Vol. 09: Voice
  • Journey into Mystery: Fear Itself Fallout
  • Until We Sleep (Dragon Age Graphic Novels #3)
  • 15 Minutes
Gene Yang began drawing comic books in the fifth grade. In 1997, he received the Xeric Grant, a prestigious comics industry grant, for Gordon Yamamoto and the King of the Geeks, his first comics work as an adult. He has since written and drawn a number of titles, including Duncan's Kingdom (with art by Derek Kirk Kim) and The Rosary Comic Book. American Born Chinese received National Book Award.

He
More about Gene Luen Yang...

The Search (3 books)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search, Part 1 (The Search, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search, Part 3  (The Search, #3)