Start by marking “Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search, Part 2 (The Search, #2)” as Want to Read:
Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search, Part 2 (The Search, #2)

Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search, Part 2

(The Search #2)

Enter the Forgetful Valley

As Fire Lord Zuko continues his quest to uncover his mother's fate, a shocking revelation causes him to question everything he knows. It's an opportunity that his sister, the deadly and insane Azula, will not fail to take advantage of as she joins Zuko and his friends, Aang, Katara, and Sokka on their journey into a mysterious forest from which
Published July 10th 2013 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Avatar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Avatar

Start your review of Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search, Part 2 (The Search, #2)
Sana
Mini review is up.

This picks up after the horrible cliffhanger we were left off at book one. In all three books, the past of Forelord Ozai and Ursa's relationship is revealed. Ozai was so controlling and came off as abusive, yikes. His behavior toward his wife and his son is just so cruel and gross and this guy needs to die in a ditch. The more we get to know about him, the more I hate him.

We also see Azula's inner struggle with herself and her mother. She's such a complex character and I'm
Iryna *Book and Sword*
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was great.
Azula's facial expressions?? I can't even!

I can't wait to see where this goes. Ursa might be one of the most interesting side characters ever.

I only wish that Toph was in this one too. But I guess you can't have everything.

My WEBSITE
I'M AVATAR TRASH
SJ
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, graphic-novel
As with the first installment of this three-part series, I am trying to with-hold my final judgment until I see the ultimate resolution of the storyline. But it's getting harder not to just be flat-out irate over what is, from my perspective, a bastardization of beloved characters from a complex and layered story that are now being flattened into a book that appears to be aimed at seven-year-olds. There are reveals in this Part Two that I find discontinuous from the characters as portrayed in ...more
Sophia
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
The gang continues the search for answers! I am loving how this mystery is slowly being told to us through the use of flashbacks. I love the dynamic between Azula and the rest of the gang; it creates tension and an interesting look at the relationship between siblings. I am so looking forward to what happens next and how the gang deals with the answers to their questions!
Alexandra Elend Wolf
"I am the mother of faces."

This was slightly creepy. What with all those faces in things and what not. Some of those faces were actually disturbing.

I love that we have these flashbacks of Zuko's parents, they make it more fun! Especially when they go back to a scene that we saw on the show, that made me go full fangirl.

As always Zuko is my favorite character ever and just seeing how much he has grown and matured over the show and now the comics is absolutely amazing. He's become such a kind
Aleksandra
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!

Great volume! I love the illustrations, their consistency especially. I like the coloring, the way to show past events, present day and night was stellar. The characters' designs are so cool!

It is great storytelling, I'm feeling all the emotions I felt while watch the original series, the comics are just as good!

I love the focus on sibling relationship, I love seeing Ursa in flashbacks, also damn that plottwist! I didn't see it coming.
Estrella
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
We finally find out what the "treasonous things" are Ursa did the night she disappeared!
Jen • Just One More Page

Review for all three parts under the cut.
(view spoiler)
Brittany
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SPOILERS FOR THE AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER TV SHOW!

Well a character in this has well and truly lost her mind. I am loving reading these graphic novels. It's like watching an episode of Avatar all over again. They manage to capture the charm and the fun of Avatar while also putting life lessons into the graphic novels. I love the art as it is so perfect for Avatar and it is so distinct.
This particular graphic novel is about Zuko trying to find his mom again with Aang and the rest of the gang.
Cath
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
4/5 stars
This one was way better than Part 1. Azula didn't annoyed me as much...but now and again she has moments.

*sigh* That panel where Katara was waterbending the vines made me want to weep, it was so beautiful.
Amanda (MetalPhantasmReads)
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Now that was an amazing volume! I can't believe how much we're learning about certain people. Onto volume 3
Yesenia
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
The first part of this trilogy introduced some background on Ursa, Zuko's mother. We learned where she grew up, and a little of what life was like before she was forced to marry Prince Ozai. It was revealed that she tried to maintain contact with her boyfriend (fiancee? I've forgotten) Ikem by way of letters that were intercepted by Ozai's subjects, thereby never reaching their destination. Finally, it is hinted that Zuko may not even be the legitimate heir to the throne; he could be Ursa and ...more
Swankivy
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
"She was born lucky. You were lucky to be born."

That's a pretty harsh thing for a dad to say. But it fits Fire Lord Ozai perfectly. In this story, we see how ruthless he was through some flashbacks that are interspersed with the current adventure. Zuko and Azula as children--Azula already cruel and calculating, hiding behind her childishness to portray false innocence--are caught up in a plot that puts Ozai's deep cruelty on display, revealing why Zuko's mother disappeared and what she was
Samrat Dey
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
The greatest cliff-hanger at the end of the original series was the undisclosed fate of Zuko's mother, the banished Princess Ursa. The Dark Horse graphic novels, written in collaboration with the creators of the original series, continued the story. While the previous Promise trilogy addressed the socio-political crises faced by the Fire Nation colonies after the war, the ongoing Search trilogy is a more personal story, attempting to address the mystery surrounding Zuko's mother.

Whether it
Eddy
Mar 21, 2013 rated it liked it
A bit more interesting than the first book in this series, but I was left wanting more. While fans who have obsessed over Zuko and the fate of his mom (ie not something I ever cared that much about) will probably enjoy some extra details, I found the cut-and-paste nature of some of the flashbacks to be wasted space in what is a very precious limited resource of pages.

Introducing new characters when the ones currently taking the journey are being narratively ignored (see: Sokka & Katara) is
Abigail
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!
I don't think this one is as good as the first one, but this one is still great!
The artwork is fantastic and writing is wonderful, I love these characters and the writers do a great job of making the characters exactly as they were in the show.
It was great to see the reason behind why Zuko's mother disappered.
I also adore the parallels between Sokka and Katara's lovely sister-brother relationship and the complicated angry sister-brother relationship between Zuko and Azula.

I enjoy
Sonja ✧・゚。★*
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ATLA fans
I'm addicted to these ATLA graphic novels! They are fantastic!
"She was born lucky. You were lucky to be born."
"No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are."
Ashley
I love it when the Avatar does spirit stuff. Azula is CRAZY. WHERE IS ZUKO'S MOM.
Arthi
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I really liked the second installment in this tale. Like most people, I was dying to find out what happened to Zuko's mom after ATLA the series ended. The Search part 2 explores that question and provides great character insight and development. You can see Zuko struggling to do the right thing, but also give Azula a chance like Iroh gave him. There's a scene that juxtaposes three sibling relationships in three panels: an elderly waterbender brother and sister, Katar and Sokka and Zuko and ...more
Xiomy's Book Tales
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Take off your mask. Only then will you see the beauty of your true destiny."

Um, I take back what I said in my review for The Search, Part 1! Hahaha I get why it was introduced now, even though it did annoy me!

Also I miss Momo and Toph but it was great to have a glimpse of Momo's usual self!

However, this story was a lot more interesting than part one and the spirits are original and creative so cannot wait to see how it wraps up!

I do have a feeling as to who Ursa and Ikem are, plus the tie-in
Immacolata
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
"NATURE HATES YOU!"

i don't know how i feel about this.i like the story about Ursa but i want Zuko to be who he was!
and the whole story makes little sense in my opinion.
(view spoiler)

+it's good to have Sokka cause without Toph things are a little to serious.

Edan
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Y’all...we don’t deserve Zuko
Mathilde Paulsen
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Azula and Zuko have a very interesting dynamic and I love seeing their characters interact. Definitely love seeing more of Azula!
Zohal
Apr 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this one but for the middle volume it acts as more of a bridge for the final volume in this particular Avatar trilogy.
Sasha (whispersofthesilentwind)
Note: review to cover all three volumes.

The Search finally gives us what all ATLA fans have been dying to know. When I realized that we would finally be about to know I was so ecstatic! I mean finally learning about the dark, shadowy mystery that is Ursa.

"Finding a clue at last, Zuko enlists the aid of Team Avatar—and the most unlikely ally of all.." as we have Azula plastered on the cover, I mean spoiler alert!

PART ONE:
Does Fire Lord Azulon think breeding with Avatar Ruko's line is
Feliza Casano
Originally posted on Girls in Capes.

This review contains spoilers for The Search Part One, the first book in the graphic novel trilogy. A majority of the review will be hidden behind a spoiler button.

In the second installment of THE SEARCH, a graphic novel series set months after the events of Avatar: The Last Airbender, Fire Lord Zuko continues his search for his mother, Ursa, accompanied by the Avatar, his companions Katara and Sokka, and – unfortunately for the rest of the group – Zuko’s
Julie Decker
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
While continuing their travels to find their lost mother, Zuko and Azula remain in their unsteady truce, with Azula's hallucinations of Ursa driving her to frequent outbursts. Katara, Sokka, and especially Aang struggle to keep the peace. Following a cold trail from some theater troupe members Ursa used to perform with, the motley group finds their way into the Forgetful Valley, only to encounter another pair of siblings who need their help. Interspersed with this story are vibrant flashbacks to ...more
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Every time I sit down to read one of these for the first time I end up smiling and squeeing like a freaking lunatic. It’s honestly hard not to. The show left off with most of the questions answered but there was one question that burned a hole in everyone’s minds, where is Zuko’s mother? Part one started us on a journey to find her and answer some questions about Zuko’s family, and now Part two is getting us a bit closer.

I love that we’re getting to see more of Azula post-defeat and just how
Gunjan (NerdyBirdie)
Hey guys! This is my very quick review Avatar: The Airbender: The Search, Part Two. This is the second part in the second comic trilogy for Avatar. This is written by Gene Luen Yang, Bryan Konietzko, Michael Dante DiMartino, and Gurihiru (the Artist).

This book continues with the Fire Lord Zuko’s search for his mother. I liked this book better, because I found that there was more question as to where some facts revealed in the story were true or not. THE ENDING WAS BETTER . . . SO MUCH BETTER. I

• Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Lost Adventures
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part One (Imbalance, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part Two (Imbalance, #2)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part Three (Imbalance, #3)
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars, Part Three (The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars #3)
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars, Part Two (The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars #2)
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars, Part One (The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars #1)
  • The Last Airbender: Prequel - Zuko's Story
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire, Part One (Ruins of the Empire, #1)
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire, Part Two (Ruins of the Empire, #2)
  • The Legend of Korra: The Art of the Animated Series Book One: Air
  • The Rise of Kyoshi (The Kyoshi Novels, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender (Free Comic Book Day 2011)
  • The Legend of Korra - Lost Pets (FCBD 2018)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Legacy
  • Avatar Free Comic Book Day 2011 (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
  • Avatar Volume 1: The Last Airbender (Avatar #1)
  • Avatar Volume 2: The Last Airbender (Avatar #2)
Gene Yang began drawing comic books in the fifth grade. In 1997, he received the Xeric Grant, a prestigious comics industry grant, for Gordon Yamamoto and the King of the Geeks, his first comics work as an adult. He has since written and drawn a number of titles, including Duncan's Kingdom (with art by Derek Kirk Kim) and The Rosary Comic Book. American Born Chinese received National Book Award.

He

The Search (3 books)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search, Part 1 (The Search, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search, Part 3 (The Search, #3)