Start by marking “Clockwork Phoenix 4” as Want to Read:
Clockwork Phoenix 4

Clockwork Phoenix 4

(Clockwork Phoenix #4)

The ground-breaking, boundary-pushing, award-nominated series of fantasy anthologies series returns for a fourth installment through the miracle of Kickstarter, bringing you eighteen brand new tales of beauty and strangeness.

With stories by Yves Meynard, Ian McHugh, Nicole Kornher-Stace, Richard Parks, Gemma Files, Yukimi Ogawa, A.C. Wise, Marie Brennan, Alisa Alering,
Published July 1st 2013 by Mythic Delirium Books (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Clockwork Phoenix 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clockwork Phoenix 4

"Icicle" by Yukimi Ogawa
"Lesser Creek: A Love Story, A Ghost Story" by A.C. Wise
"The Wanderer King" by Alisa Alering
"Lilo Is" by Corinne Duyvis
"Selected Program Notes From the Retrospective Exhibition of Theresa Rosenberg Latimer" by Kenneth Schneyer
"The Bees Her Heart, the Hive Her Belly" by Benjanun Sriduangkaew
"The History of Soul 2065" by Barbara Krasnoff

With a release date of July
Terri
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I had been waiting for this book to come out after hearing an excerpt of Shira Lipkin's "Happy Hour at the Tooth and Claw" (which appears in this anthology). Lipkin's story wasn't like anything else I had ever heard, a funny, irreverent, heart-breaking, pan-galatic, inter-dimensional story told in alternating viewpoints.

And then I read the entirety of Clockwork Phoenix 4.

It is safe to say that NONE of these stories are like anything I've ever read before. Nicole Kornher-Stace's “On the
Beth Cato
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
The overall theme of Clockwork Phoenix 4 tends towards the weird, and features some very experimental structures and voices. Some of these stories struck me as very strong--even bringing tears to my eyes--while a few others left me more confused than anything. To highlight some of my favorites:

- "The History of Soul 2065" by Barbara Krasnoff depicts a drastically changing world, as shown in family and friends as they gather for seder. The ending of this is stunning.

- "Lilo Is" by Corinne Duyvis
Malapata
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Nominado al Nebula al mejor relato corto este año.
No sé qué tiene este relato, pero me enganchó. De entre los nominados de este año es el que más me ha gustado (quizás porque es el único que no apuesta claramente por el sentimentalismo, aunque tampoco lo evite). Una historia narrada a partir de los resuménes que aparecen en el folleto de una exposición de pintura. Al principio descoloca un poco, pero consigue despertar el interés y hacer que se espere con ganas la siguiente descripción.
Francesca Forrest
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is from back in 2013--it just occurred to me that I never transferred this review from LJ to here. It's a partisan review as I did proofreading for the volume.

I’m going to focus on just four stories, the stories I found myself thinking about for the longest time after reading them, but I‘ll have shoutouts for a handful more at the end.

The first, by Nicole Kornher-Stace, has a huge title: “On the Leitmotif of the Trickster Constellation in Northern Hemispheric Star Charts, Post-Apocalypse.”
Anastasia
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Doesn't disappoint. You read Clockwork Phoenix books the way you would eat a meal prepared by a master chef: trusting that every ingredient is placed precisely and with a purpose, even if one bite is bitter, it is to allow you to savor the sweetness of the next. In that way, the book absolutely succeeds and is a triumph. It's harder for me to comment on individual stories, they are too much a part of s greater whole. Ok, off the top of my head, I really liked "Happy Hour at the Tooth & Claw" ...more
Virginia
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Beauty and strangeness indeed: stories to sip and to savor. Stories to read over lunch that will give your food savor. I liked almost all of them, but my favorites were:

The Canal Barge Magician's Number Nine Daughter, Ian McHugh
A Little of the Night, Tanith Lee
The Bees Her Heart, the Hive Her Belly, Bejanun Sriduangkaew
The Old Woman with No Teeth, Patricia Russo (the world needs more Patricia Russo)
The History of Soul 2065, Barbara Krasnoff (made me cry in the best way)

Recommended for lunches,
Tyrannosaurus regina
Overall definitely exceeded the average anthology for me. I'll have to come back and review a few of the pieces that really stuck with me, of which there were several.
Bookmole
Jan 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Meh. Though looking at the ToC, there were more stories that I enjoyed than I remember. Not really a recommendation, is it? There is a full table of Contents at the end of the review; first my take on the stories I loved and loathed.

The Canal Barge Magician’s Number Nine Daughter - Ian McHugh - 4 star tale with magic and golems.

Beach Bum and the Drowned Girl - Richard Parks - 4 star take on Myffic Feems.

Icicle - Yukimi Ogawa - 5 star tale of love and redemption.

Lesser Creek: A Love Story, A
Kinsey_m
Nov 25, 2015 rated it liked it
I've just read the first story "Our Lady of the Thylacines" and I'm having difficulty getting into a new story, although I'm sure there are many good ones in this collection. "Our Lady..." was very interesting and suggestive, so much so that midway through the story I was imagining what could be possibly happening and I came out with a response that turned out to be much more interesting (to me) than the one revealed by the ending :(

Basically, we meet a child who is living in a super creepy
David
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
In a lot of his stories, Ken manages to play virtuoso narrative games while keeping the story incredibly human and moving. This is a perfect example. This is a found-document story that follows the life, work, and love of an artist from the present into the future. It manages to stay true to the impersonal tone of a museum catalog while being engaging and tantalizing in what it tells us about Theresa, and about what it leaves out.
SmokingMirror
3 stars Tanith Lee "A Little of the Light" A nice twist in the depiction of vampirism, original in the way Tanith can be on the subject. Worth reading and even seeking out, but the other facets of the tale are not as vividly depicted as she can do.
Trish
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Okay, so technically I haven't read the whole magazine - just one of the stories: The Bees her Heart, the Hive Her Belly, by Benjanun Sriduangkaew. Very strange, but not really quite my cup of tea.
Jon
Feb 26, 2014 rated it liked it
This story was nominated for the Nebula Award for Best Short Story for 2013.

It was interesting, but it didn't click with me. I don't want to ruin it, so just read it if you like.
Ashish Mittal
Mar 23, 2018
Melinda Blaloch
Mar 29, 2016
Dusty Wallace
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The cover promises "tales of beauty and strangeness" and by god it delivers. This is a collection of stories to boggle the mind and exercise the imagination. A must read for fans of weird speculative fiction.
R.B. Wood
May 29, 2014
Estelore
Oct 12, 2013
John
rated it did not like it
Oct 20, 2017

• The Door in the Hedge
  • Deeds of Men (Onyx Court, #1.5)
  • Lies and Prophecy (Wilders #1)
  • Chains and Memory (Wilders #2)
  • Menace at the Christmas Market (Murder on Location #4.5)
  • Spindle's End
  • Angela Carter's Book of Fairy Tales
  • In London's Shadow: An Onyx Court Omnibus
  • Daughter of Necessity
  • In Ashes Lie (Onyx Court, #2)

I was born in Minneapolis, Minn., six months before Neil Armstrong walked on the moon.

But my first childhood memories are of Guam island, where my father took a teaching job after receiving his Ph.D. It was a childhood of rocky beaches, skittering lizards and huge black-and-yellow spiders with webs that covered walls.

My parents moved to a suburb outside Chicago, then to a small mining town in the

Clockwork Phoenix (5 books)
  • Clockwork Phoenix: Tales of Beauty and Strangeness