Start by marking “In the Moors (A Shaman Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
In the Moors (A Shaman Mystery, #1)

Read Book

In the Moors (A Shaman Mystery #1)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  188 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Murder in the English countryside

Published September 8th 2013 by Midnight Ink (first published September 1st 2013)

PopcornReads
Sometimes it’s hard to pinpoint what draws me to a novel but with In the Moors by Nina Milton, I think it was that its amateur sleuth is an alternative therapy practitioner. The shaman healing tradition has always fascinated me, but I know very little about it. For some reason I associate it with the American Southwest, so I became curious when I saw that this series is set in England.

In the Moors is Book #1 in the new Shaman Mystery series. Although it contains many of the features found in tr
Bonnie
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In the Moors is a book that was written by Nina Milton and promises the reader there will be more Shaman mysteries to follow. And this is a good thing because the book is very good. The story begins with a Prologue that relates that a man was captured in the moors in the middle of the night at the site where children's bodies were discovered in the peat. He is arrested and assigned an attorney and the story begins.

Sabbie Dare is a Shamanic counselor who has been treating Cliff Houghton and when
Ciska
Apr 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
*Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book on Netgalley from the publisher in return for an honest review*

Author
Nina Milton was born, educated and has raised her two children in the watery city of Bristol, but is now on the way to Wales to grow her own veg with her husband, James. She is a prize-winning short story writer, and the author of several children’s books. Nina has an MA in creative writing, and works as a tutor and writer for the Open College of the Arts.

Review
Murder in England
Deb
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Children are disappearing on the moors, and it appears to be the work of serial killers. These cases are linked back to previous similar disappearances, and shaman Sabbie Dare gets involved when one of her clients seems to know too much about the killings for the local police's comfort. Believing that her client is innocent, she uses her shamanic intuition to figure out what's really going on, even at risk to her own physical and emotional health.

Sabbie's a likeable character who sometimes lets
Sorcha
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Received in ebook format from www.netgalley.com

The rain-drenched moors near shamanistic counselor Sabbie Dare's home have become the scene of a chilling crime. When Detective Sergeant Reynard Buckley shows up suggesting her new client, Cliff Houghton—a wounded, broken man—has something to do with the body of a young boy found buried in the moors, Sabbie believes Cliff is being set up. Continuing the therapy she'd begun with Cliff, Sabbie uncovers repressed memories hearkening back to a decades-o
Lee Fielding
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this atmospheric book down. Sabbie Dare, the heroine, is a chirpy soul, about my age and I loved the way nothing fazed her, not even investigating a child's murder using her shamanic skills. It got exciting from the start, thrilling soon after, and then there was the blood-chilling race to the end where Sabbie moves from one danger to the next.
The final chapter was perfect; a great end to a gripping read
Pamela Beason
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I generally don't pick up books with supernatural elements, so had I only read the description of the protagonist--a shaman--I might have shied away from this story. I enjoyed this book very much. Creepy story, with good suspense.
Sally Hare
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A tense, atmospheric read, with enough plot twists and engaging characters to satisfy the most jaded mystery fan! Beautifully written, too ... I'm looking forward to reading about the further adventures of Sabbie Dare.
Gina
Feb 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: british, mystery
This unique mystery offers an amateur sleuth who is a shaman. When two local boys go missing Sabbie is determined to find the culprit. She is an intriguing character and hopefully there will be more books using this character.
Anne
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Gripping story, original shaman heroine, great sense of place. Excellent read.
Pan
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book.
Linda
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
If it’s about the spirit world, I’m there. This is a murder mystery done exceptionally well with Sabbie Dare as our heroine. Sabbie is a therapist. Not your ordinary Freud therapist but a Shaman who journeys into the spirit world of her clients. In doing so she is able to bring back invaluable information from her visions to assist her clients to wholeness.

Twenty three years ago, children disappeared, were never found and then it stopped. Now it’s happening again. A child’s body is found in the
Kit Domino
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Every now and again a book and author comes along that makes you say "Wow". This crime novel by Nina Milton is one such book. Yes, there's paranormal involved but the shamanistic edge is more than credible and I was hooked from the very first page. It's fast paced and kept me guessing right to the cracking and unsuspected ending. Would love to see this transferred to the big screen - it would make a brilliant film or TV series. I've read Nina's excellent children's books but this move into crime ...more
James Graham
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Don't have nightmares...
I lent my copy to a friend and she had nightmares, but really this is just a thrilling read that shouldn't scare anyone because the main character is a lively 30 yr old who doesn't seem to have nightmares herself; her attitude to life is so positive that even when she's in the final situation on the final pages, you get the feeling that she will find a way out of the threats to her life.
Won't spoil it by telling you if she does, but I do hope there's another book about he
Sarah Keller
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Originally gotten at BEA 13, I almost regret waiting till the summer to read it. This is an ideal sit-outside-read-with-a-glass-of-something-cold book (for me at least). Suspenseful, interesting primary and secondary characters that are well developed. I'm terrible at guessing the murder's but I was surprised and yelped in my chair.

Yes to: Elements of the supernatural, Murder-but-not unnecessary gore, some saucy bits, potential for a series without be flagrant ab
Amy
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
The main character is a shaman, and one of her clients is accused of kidnapping and murder. There are so many layers to this book, and it's fascinating to read how she uses her abilities to find clues and piece together the puzzle. A lot of twists and turns, and my only complaint is that I wanted a bit more character development. I could never get a feel of what these people looked like, but other than that, the book was excellent. I'm very much looking forward to the next installment.
Clashton
Apr 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Different and fairly good, but the weepiness of the main character is a bit tiresome, as is her tendency to do one stupid thing after another, tangling herself up ever deeper in trouble.
I did like the shamanic aspects.
Virginia
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! OMG, I could NOT put it down!! Am so glad to see a book that brings shamanism into a mystery!
Jill Bowman
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A page turner! I'll read more of hers.
Victoria Jane
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This drew me in and didn't let me go until the final page. Highly recommended, I'll be looking out for more by this writer!
Malia
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For a first time author, I found this a very entertaining book.
Had me guessing to the end.
August Is Azathoth The Haunted Reading Room
REVIEW: IN THE MOORS by Nina Milton

First in the Shaman Mystery Series, featuring plucky heroine Sabbie (Sabrina) Dare, a Shamanic therapist in Bridgwater, England, a mixed-race woman who saw her mother die when only six, was placed in a series of foster homes, then fostered by a loving and supportive Afro-Caribbean couple. Sabbie has a degree in psychology plus years of Shamanic training. As an alternative therapist, she contends with the disbelief of others, including the police detectives who
Zanda
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A shamanic counsellor is dragging into investigating the murder of a young boy when her client is arrested. It gets complicated when evidence points his way; it gets more complicated because he can remember the murders that took place when he was a boy, and the body was buried in the same place out in the moors. It gets totally complicated when another child is snatched and Cliff, the suspect lives close to the boy's family.
But Sabbie Dare battles on, using shamanism in a very modern way to move
Becky
I tried to keep an open mind about this book even though I wanted to laugh about the heroine being a professional shaman with an otter to lead her through the spirit world. I even got past my dislike of her name (Sabbie, short for Sabrina) as I thought maybe in other parts of the world it's a more common nickname.

And to be honest I was kind of enjoying the mystery and even going along fine with Sabbie's visits to the spirit worlds of her various clients and interactions with the "real world" peo
T
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk-mysteries
Am I ever so glad I somehow stumbled across this series! Being a yoga instructor and reiki healer myself, I was instantly drawn to the heroine, Sabbie. It's very rare to find a series all about us out their woo woo people. Add to that the fact that it's a British mystery and this book and, well, needless to say I'll be downloading the next 2 installments to my Kindle very soon.

Atmospheric and well written, this will keep you glued until the very end.
Carol
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Very addictive. Immensely atmospheric. I was immediately emotionally involved from Chapter One with the deaths Saffron, Pettitgrain and Cocky Bastard. I followed with Unraveled Visions the moment I finished and currently waiting for Beneath the Tor to be available to download to my Kobo Reader. I love sleuth/mystery/detective novels and this has added another of my great interests ...shamanic dreaming... making it the most intriguing of cocktails.
Millicent
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was not sure how the shaman and spirit world would mesh with the police procedurals that I usually prefer, but the reviews were so positive. And they were right -- this book is really good. The story moved along at a good pace, the characters were interesting, and the solution was a twist that made sense within the parameters the author had established. I look forward to reading the next one (s).
Wilde Sky
May 19, 2014 rated it liked it
A professional shaman becomes involved in a murder mystery that has its roots in a series of crimes committed twenty years before.

There are some good ideas in this book, but the writing drifts in places and some of plot points are too contrived.

A good edit would, in my opinion, make this a much better book.
Karen Madej
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nina Milton was my creative writing tutor with The Open College of the Arts.

I thoroughly enjoyed In the Moors. I read it at every opportunity it just kept calling me back to read more. The protagonist, Sabbie is a believable character, her thoughts on men echoed mine on several points!

The plot and pace were exciting and intriguing.

I recommend this book.
Josephine
Feb 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Not bad; I did manage to finish it, and I don't bother with books that don't hold my attention. However, and I know this is snarky of me, but Llewellyn needs to get better editors. Even I found a few errors and proofreading isn't my strong suit....
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
New English Writer hits the spot? 4 6 Dec 30, 2014 02:20PM
  • Deadly Diamonds (Knight and Devlin #4)
  • Cold Mourning (Stonechild and Rouleau Mystery, #1)
  • Student Bodies (Poltergeeks, #2)
  • Where They Bury You
  • The Fall of Saints
  • One Great Year
  • The Circle of Thirteen
  • December Dread (Murder-by-Month Mystery #8)
  • She Returns From War
  • Rogue (The Beloved, #2)
  • The Revenant of Thraxton Hall: The Paranormal Casebooks of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Fixer
  • Grains of Truth
  • The Fame Thief (Junior Bender, #3)
  • Angel City (The Angelus Trilogy #2)
  • Katya's War (Russalka Chronicles, #2)
  • The Aylesford Skull (Narbondo, #7)
  • Eloise

A Shaman Mystery (3 books)
  • Unraveled Visions (A Shaman Mystery, #2)
  • Beneath the Tor (A Shaman Mystery, #3)
“The guy had been sublime for a moment, walking on the water in this bitter place.” 0 likes