Start by marking “Encounters with Flying Humanoids: Mothman, Manbirds, Gargoyles & Other Winged Beasts” as Want to Read:

A strange creature with gigantic, blood-red embers for eyes crept out of the dark in West Virginia. Dozens of witnesses reported seeing the winged beast--later identified as the Mothman--take flight, chasing cars at speeds exceeding 100 miles per hour.

Cryptozoologist Ken Gerhard has traveled the world collecting evidence on the Mothman, the Owlman, the Van Meter Creature,
Published September 8th 2013 by Llewellyn Publications (first published September 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Encounters with Flying Humanoids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encounters with Flying Humanoids

Kyle Philson
Dec 10, 2013 Kyle Philson rated it it was amazing
Encounters with Flying Humanoids is one of the best sources for a full compendium/list of esoteric flying cryptids. It is packed from cover to cover with stories of strange beast that have been spotted all over the entire world. The author did far more than just research these creatures from the internet and compile them for this book. He actually traveled to some of these places and interviewed some of the eyewitnesses himself and it really shows. Before this book I was only aware of the ever-p ...more
Adrian
Jan 25, 2015 Adrian rated it really liked it
Much like his previous book, “Big Bird!”, the book is easy to read through, with each entity having its own article-like section of the book, and it is easy to read the book all at once without realizing. Gerhard has also managed to fix some of the issues present in his previous book, citing several other professionals in his investigations, ultimately leading to a mix of perspectives that greatly enhances the book as a whole. This book can easily be recommended to anyone who is interested in cr ...more
Margaret Sholders
Sep 10, 2013 Margaret Sholders rated it really liked it
This is an interesting book to read. I have always been drawn to anything odd, paranormal and otherwise strange. I especially liked this book because Ken worked hard to include a great many countries and stories I had never heard of before. There were stories in Cornwall, Britain, South America, Mexico and top of the list is our very own Mothman in West Virginia. I am rather drawn to the Jersey Devil as it has been spotted in my husband's hometown of Swedesboro, New Jersey. I am always on the fe ...more
Patricia
Jun 06, 2014 Patricia rated it it was amazing
This is the best book you will find anywhere about flying humanoids! Ken Gerhard is one of the top Cryptozoologists in the world. When he writes a book, it is based on facts and information that he has thoroughly investigated.

The stories in this book are fasinating. Mr. Gerhard writes in a style that the reader can easily understand and follow. Mothman has always been one of my favorite subjects and is one of the subjects well covered in this book.

This is a must read for anyone interested in fl
Somer Canon
Dec 15, 2013 Somer Canon rated it really liked it
I grabbed this book because, as someone who has been reading Stephen King since I was in the third grade and watching R rated horror movies since before I even started school, the idea of these flying humanoids is one of the last things that sincerely creeps me out. While this book didn't exactly inspire nightmares, it was an interesting read.
Brent
Oct 04, 2013 Brent rated it liked it
Shelves: crypto
Interesting for the compilation of reports. Less interesting for the authors inexact use of the words "mind" (e.g. "the mind is a strange organ" wtf?), "diabolical" and others I can't remember. While I knew what he was meaning, it was jarring.
Trey Nowell
Sep 13, 2014 Trey Nowell rated it really liked it
Very interesting accounts of various beings seen over centuries and reported by multiple sources. Appendix was also very enjoyable to read.
Two Readers in Love
Two Readers in Love rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
James
James rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2015
Jessica Cushion
Jessica Cushion rated it did not like it
Nov 15, 2016
Adrienne Amborski
Adrienne Amborski rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Sara
Sara rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2014
Cecil
Cecil rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2016
Nikki
Nikki rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2014
Jaime Brannon Haney
Jaime Brannon Haney rated it it was ok
Sep 27, 2016
Cole Bellon
Cole Bellon rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Tessa
Tessa rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Noelle
Noelle rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2013
A.D.
A.D. rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2016
Jonathan Clede
Jonathan Clede rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Keith Spencer
Keith Spencer rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2015
Kevin Taylor
Kevin Taylor rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2014
Cameron Hale
Cameron Hale rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2014
Vena Dunbar
Vena Dunbar rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2017
Nate
Nate rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Samantha
Samantha rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2014
Micky Ahart
Micky Ahart rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it liked it
May 21, 2014
Ken Gerhard is a professional monster hunter and has investigated reports of mysterious beasts around the world including Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, the Chupacabra, giant winged creatures like Mothman and Thunderbirds and even werewolves.

In addition to appearing in three episodes of the television series Monster Quest (History Channel), Texan Cryptozoologist Ken Gerhard is featured in the His
More about Ken Gerhard...