Start by marking “Jane Eyre” as Want to Read:
Jane Eyre

Read Book* *Different edition

Jane Eyre

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  1,463,250 ratings  ·  36,964 reviews
Dueña de un singular temperamento desde su complicada infancia de huérfana, primero a cargo de una tía poco cariñosa y después en la escuela Lowood, Jane Eyre logra el puesto de institutriz en Thornfield Hall para educar a la hija de su atrabiliario y peculiar dueño, el señor Rochester. Poco a poco, el amor irá tejiendo su red entre ellos, pero la casa y la vida de Rochest ...more
Published January 2012 by Alianza Editorial (first published 1847)

To ask other readers questions about Jane Eyre, please sign up.
Jill Rieder Eventually you should read both. In which order depends on your reading preferences. My favorite, by far, was Jane Eyre. Written in a sensationalist…moreEventually you should read both. In which order depends on your reading preferences. My favorite, by far, was Jane Eyre. Written in a sensationalist romantic style, it still has moral, depth, and an interesting plot, and twists and turns that not only advance the plot but inform on the moral. It also has characters which are more than pieces of cardboard. Wuthering Heights on the other hand reads like a straight up sensationalist novel. It took me three tries to get through Wuthering Heights, it moved so slowly in the beginning and middle and when I was done, I did not feel the better for it. But it is a classic and helps you get a handle on the different styles of the Bronte sisters, so it is worth it to get through. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Alex
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  1,463,250 ratings  ·  36,964 reviews

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Reader, I gave it five stars. Please let me tell you why.

Jane Eyre is the quintessential Victorian novel. It literally has everything that was typical of the period, but, unlike other novels, it has all the elements in one story. At the centre is the romance between Jane and Rochester, which is enhanced by gothic elements such as the uncanniness of the doppleganger and the spectre like qualities of Bertha. In addition, it is also a governess novel; these were an incredibly popular type of stor
Nataliya

Yes, I suppose you can view this book mostly as a love story. That's what I did at age 13 - but that's why I was left disappointed back then.

Or you can view this as an story of formation of a strong and independent female protagonist, a nineteenth-century feminist, light-years ahead of its time. And that's what left my now-closer-to-thirty-than-twenty self very satisfied and, quite frankly, rather impressed.²
(view spoiler)
Vinaya
FIVE REASONS WHY JANE EYRE WOULD NEVER BE A BESTSELLER IN OUR TIMES:
5. Four hundred-odd pages of purely descriptive writing
4. Overt religious themes and moral preaching
3. A plain-Jane heroine who stays plain. No makeovers to reveal a hitherto hidden prettiness that only needed an application of hydrogen peroxide and some eyebrow plucking to emerge full-blown.
2. The world is not well-lost for love. In the war between self-respect and grand passion, principles win hands down. Rousing, yet tender s
Cristin
Jun 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, classics
I could bang Mr. Rochester like a screen door 'till next Tuesday. That's not all I got from this book, honestly...
Miranda Reads
"Though you have a man's vigorous brain, you have a woman's heart and--it would not do."

"It would do," I affirmed with some disdain, "perfectly well.
Oh Jane, you wondrously bold and beautiful gal.

After she was orphaned, Jane Eyre was sent to live with her maternal uncle and his wife (Mrs. Reed). When her uncle dies, he forces his wife to swear to love, nurture and care for Jane as if she was their own child.

Unsurprisingly, Mrs. Reed is not pleased in the least with this arrangement and does
Jeffrey Keeten
“‘Jane, be still; don't struggle so like a wild, frantic bird, that is rending its own plumage in its desperation.’

‘I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being, with an independent will; which I now exert to leave you.’”

I am glad that in 1847 Charlotte Bronte made the decision to publish her novel under a male pseudonym. Currer Bell had a much better chance of being published than Charlotte Bronte and, with reviewers and readers assuming that she was in fact a male writer, allo
emma
I am a very pretentious person.

I try to seem “hip” and “cool” and “relatable” and “down with the teens” - and of course I totally am all of those things - but also I have my tendencies toward pretension. It’s who I am. Just last night I shuddered at the idea of popular music, like some kind of eight-hundred-year-old gremlin.

I am not proud of this side of me, but it’s who I am. And also it is important background information for you, dear Reader, going into this review. (That direct address to yo
Dana Ilie
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For years I've been saying that Jane Eyre is my favorite novel of all time--
and that it is. The character of Jane is, to me, one of the most admirable and appealing fictional characters of all time. Poor and plain she may be, but her spirit is indomitable.

In an era when women were expected to be brainless and ornamental, Jane (through the words of Charlotte Bronte) refused to bow to those expectations
Cecily
Child neglect, near death, a dash of magical realism, the power of love, the powerlessness of the poor, sexual rivalry, mystery, madness and more. It is as powerful as ever - but is it really a love story, given Rochester's Svengali-tendencies, or is it a life story? His downfall and her inheritance make them more equal, but is it really love on his part? I'm not sure, which is what makes it such a good book (just not necessarily a love story). I also like the tension between it being very Victo ...more
Matthew
I read this book back in High School. I hated it. I thought it was boring and stupid and all I wanted to do was spread the word that this book was terrible and no one should read it. I had it marked one star on Goodreads and it had a home on my least favorite shelf.

Well, I have been waiting years to find the perfect place to use this gif:

I reread in late August, early September 2017. I have to say that I should probably reread everything I read bank in High School to get a better perspective.

I
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
I'm bumping Jane Eyre up to the full five stars on this reread. It has its Victorian melodramatic moments (horrible aunt! and cousins! (view spoiler)), but overall I found this story of a plain, obscure girl determined to maintain her self-respect, and do what she feels is right even in the face of pressure, profoundly moving. And I'm a romantic, sorry/notsorry, so that aspect totally sucked me in too ...more
Melanie

Okay, so high school Melanie did not appreciate Jane Eyre! But thankfully, many years later, and because of a few friend’s encouragement, I have seen the light and righted my wrongs, because this reread proved to me how much of a masterpiece Jane Eyre truly is.

This is a very beloved book, that stars an orphan girl name Jane that is trying to figure out the world around her. She’s searching for worth, fo
April (Aprilius Maximus)
2018 - I highly recommend the audiobook narrated by Thandie Newton! It's beautiful!

2016 - I think this may be my favourite book of all time.

Video Review -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E8ys...

Around the Year in 52 Books Challenge Notes:
- 11. A book from the Rory Gilmore Challenge
Ellen
Nov 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels, favorites
[The picture disappeared which made the comments rather irrelevant.:]

description

…Oh course, Rush Limbaugh is nuts.

In December 2007, on a radio show with an audience of 14.5 million, Limbaugh asked this question about the former first lady's presidential prospects, after an incredibly unflattering picture of her had surfaced: "Will Americans want to watch a woman get older before their eyes on a daily basis? I want you to understand that I'm talking about the evolution of American culture here, and not so m
Lisa
"I love reading", says a 15-year-old girl in class today.

This is so unusual that I smile like a maniac.

"Really? I am so glad to hear that. What are you reading at the moment?"

"Jane Eyre, and it is very hard to understand, but I am 100 pages into it now, and I think it is great!"

"Jane Eyre? Jane Eyre?"

I feel like a young woman who thought she was dedicated to an old, grumpy, blind man and realises there is a vital, young Mr Rochester waiting to be adored again and again underneath the surface.

Ca
Steph Sinclair
I often think of classics as "required reading," usually accompanied by a barely suppressed groan. Because, surely, they can't actually be any good. I'm not sure why I've always associated well-known and well-loved classics as such, but I suppose it must be the expectation to love it just as much as the world. It's silly, I know. A person can't be expected to love all books, classic status or not, but still, I wondered if I would enjoy it.

Jane Eyre is one of those novels that proves me completel
Grace Tjan
Now I know why Charlotte Bronte said this of Jane Austen: "The passions are perfectly unknown to her: she rejects even a speaking acquaintance with that stormy sisterhood". I love Jane, but Charlotte REALLY knows how to write about passion, romantic or otherwise. If Jane’s books are stately minuets in which the smallest gesture has its meaning, Charlotte’s is a spirited, sweeping tango of duty and desire. A perfect blend of passionate romance, gothic mystery, romantic description of nature, soci ...more
Gabriella
Aug 27, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Diane
Jane Eyre makes me want to be a better person. Her goodness, her humility, her frankness, her passion, her fierce will and her moral compass are all inspiring.

And yet, I also love her faults. Jane has a temper, she gets jealous, she fights back, and at times she is too obedient, especially when given orders by overbearing men.

What is it about this gothic novel that still makes it a compelling read more than 160 years after it was published? I first came to this story, as I suspect many have, thr
İntellecta
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte is composed of many wonderful dialogues. The author likes it very much because it is wonderful, alive and intense in my mind. This book is highly recommended for all readers who love to read love stories and have a fascination with historical styles.
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Anyone else didn't love the romance in here?
Henry Avila
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most beloved novels in history for many generations ; "Jane Eyre" is set in England in the 1800's . The story of a neglected girl orphan of that name who never gives up her dream of happiness, no matter how remote a possibility, this goal can ever be reached. Hated by her cruel Aunt Mrs. Sarah Reed (NOT A BLOOD RELATIVE), and cousins Eliza, jealous of her more beautiful but spiteful sister Georgiana, and abused by them both. They look down at the beggar, this little poor girl this imp ...more
Manny
Samadrita
EDIT - 22/04/2015:- The following review was written in paroxysms of adoration which I no longer feel hence a star is being ducked. Now that I have read Wide Sargasso Sea and re-read Wuthering Heights, Rochester and Jane's attraction as characters of high morals has waned in my eyes. But until I write a more balanced critique of this, I refrain from disowning my first impressions.

____

What do I write about you Jane? Words fall short when I try to.

Jane, you are so much a part of me as I am your
Ahmad Sharabiani
904. Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontë
Jane Eyre (originally published as Jane Eyre: An Autobiography) is a novel by English writer Charlotte Brontë, published under the pen name "Currer Bell", on 16 October 1847, by Smith, Elder & Co. of London, England. Jane Eyre is divided into 38 chapters. It was originally published in three volumes, as was common in the 19th century, comprising chapters 1 to 15, 16 to 27, and 28 to 38.
The novel is a first-person narrative from the perspective of the title cha
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
It seems silly to say that a book can affect you on a profound level. well I definitely believe in this power that a good book has. Jane Eyre is one of them. I cannot say that this was an easy book to read. But it was a book that I was very enriched by reading. Romance is a genre that is looked down on by many "sophisticated readers." Perhaps they would look down on Jane Eyre, but would probably get some eyebrows raised at them. Well Jane Eyre is the archetype for the romance novel. After having ...more
Helene Jeppesen
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this book in the early hours of the morning, and I'm left with a heavy but happy heart and a smile on my face. I clung to those last pages like nothing else - not wanting the story to end - and this is even a reread for me.
This goes to show how much I love this book and this journey of Jane. I think what I love the most is exactly the fact that it takes you on an amazing journey, and Jane changes so radically from beginning to end. As a reader, you are rooting for her and your f
Celeste
Jane Eyre was the inaugural selection of the newly formed Novel Notions Classics Club. The ladies of the site: TS, Emma, Haïfa, and myself; have found that embarking on more difficult works as a group enhances our enjoyment of the chosen novel tremendously. Chatting with these women daily as we made our way through this book was such a wonderful experience. I can’t wait to do it again!
“If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you f
Rowena
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I get the feeling that Jane Eyre may have ruined future English classics for me. I find it hard to imagine other classics topping this one. This was actually a book that I had no interest in reading because I had been underwhelmed by a Jane Eyre miniseries I watched several years ago. However, so many people have urged me to read this, saying it’s an excellent book, and they weren’t wrong.

Jane Eyre is definitely cut from a different cloth from the other classic novel heroines I have come across.
Maureen
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I just really love this book. Jane is such a strong strong character who does what she believes is right no matter what and the SASS is so real. I love it.

As per usual, I loved it, though I feel like the older I get the more I notice the seriously problematic things in it.
But Jane is still the best.

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Anna Karenina
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume II
  • Watership Down (Watership Down, #1)
  • Speak
  • The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
  • Wives and Daughters
  • Le Morte D'Arthur - Volume I
  • White Oleander
Charlotte Brontë was a British novelist, the eldest out of the three famous Brontë sisters whose novels have become standards of English literature. See also Emily Brontë and Anne Brontë.

Charlotte Brontë was born in Thornton, Yorkshire, England, the third of six children, to Patrick Brontë (formerly "Patrick Brunty"), an Irish Anglican clergyman, and his wife, Maria Branwell. In April 1820 the fam
539 trivia questions
12 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.” 11974 likes
“I would always rather be happy than dignified.” 9712 likes