Start by marking “Avalon” as Want to Read:
Avalon

Avalon

(The Pendragon Cycle #6)

In Portugal, the reprobate King Edward the Ninth has died by his own hand.

In England, a dark scenario conceived by the power-hungry Prime Minister, Thomas Waring, is about to be realized: the total destruction of the British monarchy in the twenty-first century.

And in the Scottish Highlands, acentury.

Andhand.

Inpeople.

In
Published March 22nd 2013 by Lion Hudson (first published September 7th 1999)

Sarah Castillo
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Oddly enough this book reminded me of the Pelican Brief. There's all these political twists and turns that I didn't expect from a book about King Arthur coming back. This isn't about modern folk fighting demons or going to the otherworld or anything like that. There's some mysticism in the book, but for the most part it's a very modern story that finds its ends through very modern means.

Not all the characters are developed as much as I'd liked. The love interest gets shafted in the beginning an
Miriam Cihodariu
With Avalon, the final installment in Lawhead's Arthurian series, the aim was very high. It's hard to create a plausible tale of Arthur and Merlin in the modern-day world, much harder than it is to make it realistic and believable in the appropriate historical context.

Considering this default limitation, I think the author did as good of a job with it as possible. While not entirely believable compared to previous books, the story is still immersive, touching and endearing.
I lo
Suzanne
Jun 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Awesome book! Here are a few quotes:

p.139-140 "I set the keeping of Christ about thee;
I send the guarding of the Great Light with thee,
to possess thee, to protect thee,
From death, from danger, from loss.

Let the circling of the Three encompass thee in the battle to come.
In the day of strife, let Michael militant be thy strong protector.
In the twistings of the fight, let Blessed Jesu stand between thee
and the hate of the enemy.

Sarah Garner
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It's an interesting take on the Arthur story set during the present day. Although the author does seem to view Britain through rose tinted glasses.
Lucinda
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An astonishingly ambitious novel which beautifully blends the past with the present.

Master storyteller Stephen R. Lawhead‘s AVALON captures the magic and mystery surrounding the Arthurian Legends in a thoroughly modern, classy contemporary way. Breathtakingly epic and exciting this outstanding, new futuristic fantasy is so refreshingly original as like nothing you will have encountered before…

Set within the twenty-first Century a shocking revelation arises, when King Edward the ninth dies toge
Chelsea
Mar 01, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rusty
This is the story of the return of Arthur after the death of King Edward, who supposedly commits suicide. It begins with a man named James Arthur Stewart who is working to retain his inheritance, Blair Morven. All looks bleak until he meets Enbries (alias Merlin) whose tale is too strange to believe. James is to be the next king of England! He who cannot even retain his inheritance? Enbries totes out the proof - birth certificate, parents, marriage certificate, and all paperwork pertaining to hi ...more
Christopher Taylor
This is the final book so far in a series of stories spanning thousands of years of history from fabled Lyonesse featuring Merlin's father Taliesin, to modern times.

The concept is that Great Britain is facing a huge crisis and Arthur returns as the myth states, to save the kingdom. He's involved in a mostly political struggle just as a referendum is about to take place removing the monarchy entirely. In this alternate universe, the crown has been held by a series of dissolute empty shells the l
Jack Vasen
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last book of the Pendragon Cycle, this one stands completely alone. Some scenes are referenced from previous books in vision-like flashbacks, but the previous books are not needed to enjoy this one.

This book is completely different from the previous ones because it takes place in modern Britain. While the others were patterned after legends of very early knights battling barbarians, this book is mostly political with a few exciting fight scenes thrown in.

At times, thi
Amy
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read-own
This was a very good political thriller, with plenty of suspense! However, to me, it is not up to the standard of the rest of the Pendragon Cycle. There are still plenty of thrilling heroics, and "Arthur" himself leaves nothing to be desired. You almost get the feel that the book is leading up to something much bigger.

I was also disappointed to find a lot of foul language in this book. Granted, only those whom we know to be evil use said language. Still, the author is clearly a follo
Mark
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A very listless, disappointing end to an otherwise spectacular and memorable series of books. While setting this final installment in modern times was somewhat daring, the characters just never came to life for me and connected in any meaningful way. It also felt that Lawhead was editorializing through his characters, rather than letting the narrative do it in a more organic way. His obvious adoration of monarchical rule became tedious after awhile.

The final quarter of the book was especially d
Jeff
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-syfy
I had never read the series that goes before this even through I know the story of Arthur in its many treatments. This a stand alone story from my point of view...
This could be a story of the fate of the world today...
Robert
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite Stephen Lawhead books. I love the modern approach to the classic King Arthur story and have always believed this would make an awesome movie! I have reread it multiple times and love how the story comes together!
Jodi
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing take on the saga of Arthur. I had high expectations that weren't met. There is no ambiguity, no one has any shades of nuance. Good people are all good and the bad ones are all bad. Merlin's take on religion was also problematic.
Sedna Dragon
A brilliant end to a good set of books, and the most normal one in the set.
Greg
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The return of Arthur is a challenging thing to pull off. I thoroughly enjoyed this one.
J.P.
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wish I had a sixth star to give
Carla Rupprecht
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Love this.
LadyCroft86
Sep 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF at 51 pages. Not my thing and not at all like the rest of the series.
Kes
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, read-2017
2.5 stars. Entertaining but not worldbreaking.
Marisa
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Lawhead does not disappoint. I could not put this down! I look forward to reading more of his work; he’s a gifted author!
Isolde Ershova
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this some time ago. But I found it an interesting mix of modern politics and ancient legend. The characters were well-crafted and the plot swept me along.
December Sunshine
Apr 17, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
Ben Shepherd
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely wonderful. Lawhead weaves a story full of rich characters, reminiscent stories, and a modern evil that draws his readers into wrapped attention. It's worth the time and, potentially, money to read.
Clare Farrelly
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah I forgot how much I liked Stephen R. Lawhead's writing. The political side of it all was so deep and believable and the plot, story, characters were great.

Lawhead must really have researched political stuff a lot, that side of things is so well done and believable. There are so many plots within plots, and twists and turns to the story. The story constantly keeps the pressure on and there is heightening tension the whole way through making it very page turning. There were also a n
Aug 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
the conclusion to the Pendragon cycle of novels Lawhead wrote, this book finishes the story of "the once and future king"... following is the publisher's note... again, this book requires imagination in order for you to become involved in it, but it's a great, great read...

"It has been fortold: In the hour of Britain's greatest need, King Arthur will return to rescue his people.

In Portugal, the reprobate British King Edward the Ninth has died by his own hand.

In England,
Meghan
With the Royal Wedding hoopla this week it was interesting seeing what might become of a monarch-less England, per this book. The PM is intent on dissolving the monarchy, and has taken several steps to do so...returning the castles, jewels, etc. to the public domain, and limiting the monarch's "power" even more than it already is. In a few weeks a referendum will dissolve the monarchy completely, likely landing the PM as the first President of the UK, and setting him down in history as the great ...more
Jen
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing. When the British monarch personally falls apart, and Parliament is working hard to eliminate the monarchy altogether, only a few feel the void. James Arthur Stuart would be just as happy to see it go, but he's currently embroiled in a fight to keep the house that hadn't been properly deeded when it was left to him. He's been so wrapped up in that fight and so uncertain of his future that he's ignored the girl he's always expected to marry, and she's moved on. A mysterious figure approac ...more
Margaret Roberts
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
What would you do if, one day you are scraping to get by, and then find out by some wizened, eccentric elderly man, that you are actually entitled to be King of Britain? But that is exactly what happens to James. Of course, no one would find it easy to believe this sudden entitlement is his, but, when he finds himself looking at a time past, when King Arthur reigned-and now he is supposedly Arthur a new perspective takes form and James finds himself fighting for his Kingship...
An interesti
Laurie
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Beloved Exile (Firelord, #2)
  • Grail Prince
  • The Pendragon Chronicles: Heroic Fantasy from the Time of King Arthur
  • The Forever King (Forever King, #1)
  • The Story of Sir Launcelot and His Companions
  • The Raven Warrior (Tales of Guinevere, #2)
  • Mad Merlin
  • Arthur Rex
  • The Young Merlin Trilogy
  • The Realms Thereunder (The Ancient Earth, #1)
  • The Return of Merlin
  • Celtika (The Merlin Codex, #1)
  • Warrior of the West (King Arthur, #2)
  • Excalibur!
  • Le Morte D'Arthur - Volume I
  • The Hedge of Mist (The Tales of Arthur, #3)
  • Uther (Camulod Chronicles, #7)
  • Pendragon's Banner (Pendragon's Banner Trilogy, #2)
Stephen R. Lawhead is an internationally acclaimed author of mythic history and imaginative fiction. His works include Byzantium, Patrick, and the series The Pendragon Cycle, The Celtic Crusades, and The Song of Albion.

Also see his fanpage at Myspace:

Stephen was born in 1950, in Nebraska in the USA. Mos

The Pendragon Cycle (6 books)
  • Taliesin (The Pendragon Cycle #1)
  • Merlin (The Pendragon Cycle, #2)
  • Arthur (The Pendragon Cycle, #3)
  • Pendragon (The Pendragon Cycle, #4)
  • Grail (The Pendragon Cycle, #5)
“the way of the world is evil. It does not become any less evil because we disguise it with harmless-sounding phrases like ‘status quo’ or ‘business as usual’—it merely makes the evil more palatable to us.” 1 likes