Start by marking “Losing My Virginity” as Want to Read:
Losing My Virginity

Losing My Virginity

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  40,469 Ratings  ·  988 Reviews
This is the bestselling autobiography of iconic entrepreneur Sir Richard Branson, featuring his take on his latest business ventures, personal achievements and intrepid adventures.

You'll discover how Sir Richard is committed to building a better world through responsible, holistic business practices and ventures such as the Virgin Health Bank, which is contributing to rege
Published August 4th 2011 by Virgin Digital

Otis Chandler
Oct 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Otis by: Darius
I learned two major things from this book: the power of branding, and the fact that Richard Branson has balls of solid steel.

Branson is one of the great entrepreneurs of our era, and it was truly inspiring to hear his story in his own words. A kid who skipped college and dove straight into business, and time and time again proved he can succeed with a lot of will, determination, and his maverick ability to take big bets and win. Bransons' success is nothing short of inspirational.

I had no idea
Arup
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I am yet to read an autobiography of an entrepreneur, which has been written so magnetically. It feels like that I was very much a part of Sir Richard Branson's journey from his boyhood to being one of century's most successful and chic business man, who happens to be having his feet firmly entrenched on the ground. Richard's humble beginning and the numerous sticky situations that he got into during the initial period of his entrepreneurial endeavors, did not deter him from reaching the awesom ...more
Jason Navallo
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best autobiographies I've ever read!

Liked it so much that I actually used it as a source in my book, Thrive: 30 Inspirational Rags-to-Riches Stories.
Erwin
Jan 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Loosing My Virginity

Excellent autobiography. Mr. Branson has a lot in common with Sam Walton and Ray Crock, except Mr. Branson has a more magnetic personality that he's used to his advantage in the age of mass media. Like all great men, he is a man of his time, and used his adventurous rebellious persona to promote himself and his brand.

His story is insightful, motivational, and more importantly - useful.

Like Walton and Crock, Branson's growth always was happening with bankers in the background
Usman Hickmath
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How a dyslexic boy who did not perform well in school went onto become one of the most successful businessmen ever?

In his autobiography, Branson takes us through his adventurous, flamboyant life and shows us nothing is impossible. Even with over 600 pages, it never felt boring or slow. Definitely one of the most interesting autobiographies to read. It is full of exciting events, adventures and fun written in a very exciting manner.
Hinch
Jul 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly enjoyable, intimate, and inspiring account of one of the world's greatest entrepreneurs. An excellent mix of business, adventure, and personal anecdote keep the book fresh and engaging. However, despite offering a detailed view of his business philosophy and practices, the scale of his achievements, and the persistence and confidence with which they are executed are still beyond understanding. In fact, the highly personalised delivery masks the reality that his endeavours are suppor ...more
Ankur
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I hv long admired branson, so in 2000, when i saw this book at a footpath wala in CP in Delhi, i immediately latched on to it!

The book is an immensely enjoyable, almost no holds barred autobiography of Branson's mercurial rise from a school drop out to the owner of Virgin Atlantic and many other companies, n how he kept building n rebuilding his businesses despite all odds.

Branson has spared nobody, including himself, nor has he let go of any chance to remember those who stood by him!

However, i
Steven
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was absolutely phenomenal. If you ever want to live your life vicariously through a book, this would be the one to do it with. This might be my favorite book ever. It is so incredibly inspirational as well as fascinating and captivating. I was ensnared from the prologue. I lost sleep, read on the subway, I even read walking the streets of Times Square! It was amazing! It was written very well, and tells a great story. This autobiography goes through all of his life, generally chronolog ...more
Vitalijus Sostak
I was disappointed by this book, probably because my expectations about it heavily differed from the actual delivery that was intentional, by design.
This book is about personal journey through life, reminiscences about author's businesses, partners and major victories/battles. A significant part of the book is comprised of author's dangerous grand travels on sea and in the air; the last third of the book is devoted solely to personal travel diary.
Disappointingly for me, this book is NOT about
Natalia
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What struck me most in the book is 'Virgin is not a big group - it's a big brand made up of lots of small companies. Our priorities are the opposite of our large competitors'. Convention dictates that a company should look after its shareholders first, its customers next, and last of all worry about its employees. Virgin does the opposite. For us, our employees matter most. It just seems common sense to me that, if you start off with a happy, well-motivated workforce, you are much more likely to ...more
Alicia
Jul 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What type of person would you imagine Richard Branson to be? That's exactly how he came across in his auto-biography. Cheeky and sensationalist.

It was interesting to read how his businesses developed and how he sought to take on the big dogs, namely British Airways and GTech lottery. The hot air balloon adventures were also fascinating.

Branson is dyslexic, which gives insight into his business success. His brain had to develop ways to 'get around the system' to function properly in life and scho
BookOfCinz
WOW. Richard Branson rocked my world with this book. I've learned so much about entrepreneurship, branding, risk and what it takes to succeed just from reading this book. Its amazing to read a story of a drop out who went on to change the world.

This is a must read.
Samuel Salzer
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Review: Entertaining and interesting read where Branson shares his and Virgins story to stardom as well as sharing how he survived everything from drowning, freezing and falling to his death during his many grand adventures around the world. I admire what Branson has accomplished through hard work, wit, and vision, yet his formula for success might not be one to live by since chances are that you simply won't live very long following it. Joking aside, the world could do well having more business ...more
Saurabh Hooda
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Richard Branson - the name itself invokes a vivid figure of liveliness, merriment and live life like king size attitude. His autobiography takes you through his entrepreneurial student life, his heady cash strapped days of Virgin Music expansion, his love life, his decision making process, his cross roads in life, his struggles, his failures, his mega successes, his battles and much more. The book presents Richard'��s candor, anecdotes and his attitude on platter to relish. I was surprised to kn ...more
Dalan Mendonca
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first autobiography perhaps,
The book provides a really enjoyable account of Richard Branson's journey from a wonderfully talented albeit rebellious kid to being the driving force behind a multi-billion dollar conglomerate.
Synonymous with his reputation, the book is filled with stories of his daredevil exploits not only in the upper reaches of the atmosphere as a hot-air ballooning enthusiast but also on the business front where Branson defies conventional wisdom to emerge on top.
Though one ma
Ripudaman
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I stayed enthralled and read the entire book in almost two days.Richard Branson,founder of the Virgin business empire, is a father of risk taker,a paragon of entrepreneurship, and a genius who has inspired English culture and lifestyles.
This book includes the birth of Virgin records, Virgin Atlantic Airways,Virgin Music and many more such astounding ventures.
He's life filled with challenges, interesting adventures, dreadful crises and stupendous money.
The splendid lessons I conned from this bo
Naddy
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, memoir
This is not the first autobiography which i have read, there are other too Steve Jobs, Malala, Wolf of wall street, but this stands apart. It is enthralling,adventurous experience. Great insight to person rather extraordinary person with extraordinary thinking. This book is quite magical and can inspire and motivate anyone, and especially those who have zeal for entrepreneurship.

If i look from reader prospective this is one of the book with finest story telling and riveting to the core. I have
Jack Chapman
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of CEOs have written, or had written for them, biographies extolling their extraordinary lives, their struggles to reach the top, the secrets of their incredible business acumen. Very few of them ever made as much money as Richard Branson, and none of them ever had so much fun with it.

Branson is the most amazing character, highly focussed but with a vast range of interests, a James Bond in a jumper. But what really makes him unique among the captains of stratospheric enterprise is that he
Hazel
Aug 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was great. Although he's probably sensationalising quite a lot of it, there's no doubt the book left me feeling inspired - feeling like anything was possible, whatever your background. Definitely a motivational book: great if you're slightly doubting your ability to be an entrepreneur. The message of the book is certainly reach for the stars, no matter how cloudy the sky - the stars are much closer than you think.
Joey Marcus
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
Richard Branson is my hero. He has done everything his way and continues to do so. Hes done well and poorly but always could see that things would eventually get better. This Bio is more of an reflection of the trials and tribulations of his happiness, sadness and adventures of life and how playing by your own rules can pay off big time.
Tudor
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect !
Jacques Bezuidenhout
Quite enjoyed this book. This book is only about the start of Richard's career, till about the age of 40.

Having read other biographies like Steve Jobs and Elon Musk, Richard is a very different person from what I've seen in the others.
He actually seems like a very nice person.

If you are expecting a book telling you how to get rich, what strategies to follow in business, recommendations on running a startup. This is not it.
This is about his journey. The emotions around it. The risks he took, and
Barbara
I read this autobiography because I heard Branson interviewed on the Freakonomics podcast. He had made a comment that he was dyslexic and dropped out of school. He seemed to suggest that struggling students don't really need school to succeed as he did. This raised a question for me: So how do you start a company with a reading disability? The question really wasn't answered but he did surround himself in the early days with smart friends who helped first with the publication Student and then st ...more
Nistha Tripathi
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What's best about this book? - It is not a typical businessman autobiography. Branson is not like anyone else after all. His charisma, his 'not-give-a-fuck' attitude, doing what he feels right (and not just in your tiny private life) but taking it to the hyper-competitive businesses and standing against the stalwarts like BA and News Corp might sound too good to be true. How many men have the balls to delve into adventure as Branson does? Even reading about it gives you thrills.
Coming to the boo
Prashanth Baskaran
What a great read! And what an impressive man.

A great account, very much interesting and intriguing.

Although his solutions are all ingenious, I was really impressed by how much straight-up honesty can achieve in this world.

There is lessons for everyone in this well-written splendid book.
Vaida Ninat
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an inspirational book! And how can it not be inspirational when written by the man who has proven that phenomenal business success can be achieved without messing with one’s moral compass. The man who gives a shit and has his heart in the right place. Adventurous, exciting and truly remarkable read!
Marc Palucci
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Throughout this book I found myself laughing and enjoying learning chronologically about how Richard grew up. Richard truly lived a RockStar lifestyle.
Intan Hurulaini
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting autobiography. Not only we know about Branson life, business and advanture; the writing is interesting as it also introduce us to the era he live in., the cultures and influenced people that he met or encountered, and all the global issue that happening and going on.
sadiq
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The autobiography of Sir Richard and the history of the Virgin Group merged as one and the same. He didn't forget to mention a couple of times how corrupt Nigeria is.
Nanda Wanninayaka
I had the pleasure of reading Richard Branson’s autobiography last year. It is a thick book but you won’t feel like keeping it aside even for a cup of tea or a meal as the book is written in such a way that uninterrupted reading is needed. I had already heard about this genius of a businessman who fights an unending battle of dyslexia yet, despite all that, there are 400 odd companies to his credit. He starts business by publishing a magazine called “Student” while a teenager but fails to sell i ...more
2015 Reading Chal...: Losing My Virginity by Richard Branson 2 41 Apr 06, 2015 09:53AM
Branson 1 11 Nov 23, 2014 07:49AM
  • Grinding It Out: The Making of McDonald's
  • Made in Japan: Akio Morita and Sony
  • The HP Way: How Bill Hewlett And I Built Our Company
  • The Zigzag Principle: The Goal Setting Strategy That Will Revolutionize Your Business and Your Life
  • McDonald's: Behind The Arches
  • Simply Fly
  • Pour Your Heart Into It: How Starbucks Built a Company One Cup at a Time
  • Sam Walton: Made In America
  • The Real Deal: My Story from Brick Lane to Dragons' Den
  • The Startup Game: Inside the Partnership between Venture Capitalists and Entrepreneurs
  • How to Get Rich
  • Jack: Straight from the Gut
  • Direct from Dell
  • The Monk and the Riddle: The Education of a Silicon Valley Entrepreneur
  • Founders at Work: Stories of Startups' Early Days
  • The Four Steps to the Epiphany: Successful Strategies for Startups That Win
  • Call Me Ted
  • Anything You Want
Sir Richard Charles Nicholas Branson is an English business magnate, best known for his Virgin brand of over 360 companies. Branson's first successful business venture was at age 16, when he published a magazine called Student. He then set up a record mail-order business in 1970. In 1972, he opened a chain of record stores, Virgin Records, later known as Virgin Megastores and rebranded as zavvi in ...more
More about Richard Branson

$6.99 $2.99
  • Hello Mornings: How to Build a Grace-Filled, Life-Giving Morning Routine
  • Girl Sleuth: Nancy Drew and the Women Who Created Her
    $13.99 $1.99
“I can honestly say that I have never gone into any business purely to make money. If that is the sole motive then I believe you are better off not doing it. A business has to be involving, it has to be fun, and it has to exercise your creative instincts.” 38 likes
“Most "necessary evils" are far more evil than necessary.” 23 likes