Start by marking “The Beast Within: A Tale of Beauty's Prince (Villains, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Beast Within: A Tale of Beauty's Prince (Villains, #2)

The Beast Within: A Tale of Beauty's Prince

(Villains #2)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  12,042 ratings  ·  1,729 reviews
Published July 22nd 2014 by Disney Press

To ask other readers questions about The Beast Within, please sign up.
April Sort of. It is from his point of view, but a majority of the book is a flashback. Belle is only in the story for a little bit in the beginning and a l…moreSort of. It is from his point of view, but a majority of the book is a flashback. Belle is only in the story for a little bit in the beginning and a little bit at the end.(less)

·  12,042 ratings  ·  1,729 reviews

Start your review of The Beast Within: A Tale of Beauty's Prince (Villains, #2)
megs_bookrack
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
((awkward pause))

This one was rough.

((sigh))

There's not a lot here and what is, wasn't great. Please know, this hurts my heart to write this. I have all the books in this series and am obsessed with the covers and naked books.

I have read the first book in the series, Fairest of All, and gave it 3-stars. I don't know if maybe the fact that Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairy tale made me judge this one differently or if it is, in fact, the content.

First, I absolutely hated the Prince, or
Mischenko
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To see this review and others please visit www.readrantrockandroll.com

I decided to spend my entire rainy Sunday reading nothing but Beauty and the Beast. After finishing Lost in a Book this morning, I was still hungry for more. This review may contain some spoilers so read at your own risk.

The Beast Within begins with the Prince and how he's sickened with the fact that he's been transformed into a beast. He's tormented by the three evil sister witches who have cast a spell on him. At this poin
So Disney is now writing their own fan fiction. This wouldn’t bother me if only the fan fiction in question were consistent with the films that they themselves release.

The Beast Within is an entry in a series by Serena Valentino examining how the iconic Disney villains turned bad. Given this information, the book already has a strike against it—the villain of Disney’s Beauty and the Beast isn’t the Beast, it’s Gaston.

But the Beast is the more interesting of the two characters, being the only D
Dannii Elle
This is the second instalment in the Villains series, which rework the original tales from the initial villain's perspective.

Of the series, this is the title I was both the most eager and hesitant to get to. Eager, as the Beauty and the Beast films are so beloved to me. Hesitant, as I had never viewed the Beast as the story-line's villain and had, instead, reserved that spot for Gaston. I feared Valentino would approach the Beast from a less sensitive viewpoint than he deserved.

My fears were qui
Callie *Fights Censorship*
Sep 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: i-give-up
What an utter disappointment.

Right off the bat they are changing the story that we know from the movie replacing the enchantress with three obnoxious villainous witches that frequent the castle to torture the Beast. Who thought that was a good idea?

This is a huge letdown, the Beast should start off unlikable and then change and grow through the love of Belle, instead they've made him immediately sympathetic.

You are ruining the original!

I only read the first two chapters and could not power thro
Jessica
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
I was so disappointed with this. I had read Valentino's previous Disney villain novel "Fairest of All" and enjoyed it immensely. I'd also read previous works of Valentino's and enjoyed those as well. So when I saw this new story out, I did something unusual for me, and bought it without looking up reviews or reading through it a bit. Valentino had established herself a competent writer with a flair for darker themes, so I was confident in my purchase.
That'll teach me.
I'm not sure if she was tryi
Shay
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Despite the fact that this tale diverges from the original Disney movie, I loved it! This is from Beast's point of view. It follows his full transition from prince to beast and slowly maneuvers into the tale that we already know. I was rather intrigued with the characterization of Beast himself. This book gives a back story. As askew as it may seem to some it's still great!

Jo
It's pretty common knowledge, for people that know me, that I'm a rather big fan of Beauty and the Beast. I love the film, the songs are wonderful, and it just doesn't get old. Plus, that AMAZING library scene, I could just put on replay. When I spotted this book in the bookstore, I was unaware that this is in fact the second book in the series. Well, I went ahead and read it anyway.
This book was unique, and there was a different perspective shown on the Beast. I thought the story was interestin
Karen Whittard
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
The beast within tells the story of how Prince Adam becomes cursed, how the curse takes place and what he is like before he meets Belle. It continues on to the bit where Belle and Beast fall in love, beast transforms back to prince Adam and they live happily ever after.

It has some scenes which we have come to know and love from Beauty and the beast. But adds dimensions to the story that we didn't know about before. Prince Adam being best friends with Gaston, Prince Adams past loves and the fact
kari
May 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, 2016
I think this may be where I jump off of this series. I don't think it works for me.
Here's my unsolicited advice to the author: If you are enamored of these three bird-like witches, then by all means, write their story. Write a whole bunch of them. Original stories. Write their history and all the terrible things they've done. Enjoy doing that as it appears you thoroughly enjoy writing about them, but don't shoehorn them into stories where they don't belong. This is twice now that they've overtak
Katie.dorny
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I loved this book. It showed a different story than the film and it got me out of my reading slump. It was a quick read and I'm excited to read the others by Serena Valentino!
Ashley
Aug 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
I bought this book while at Disney World and was really excited to read it, because Beauty and the Beast is my favorite Disney movie and I've always been curious about the prince's life before he met Belle. Unfortunately, this was just...it's just not very good. This is written like really bad fanfiction; certain choices the writer has made don't make sense time- or plot-wise in relation to the film (why would the Beast have been friends with Gaston? Why is he romancing women when the film makes ...more
ZQ
Jun 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
Britany
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, own, young-adult
My final book of the year!

I've had this one on my physical shelf for a while, so always happy to get those off my list. This is a retelling of Beauty of the Beast from the Beast's viewpoint. This is one of my favorite Disney stories, so I was excited to finally dig into this one. It started out a little slow, telling us things this reader already knew. I appreciated the witch sisters that were introduced and all the secrets happening behind the scenes of a story as old as time. The middle went a
Kevin
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
FANBOY POV:
What an amazing retelling. This is a retelling that doesn't stray away from the original story.

CRITIC POV:
Some of the scenes look rushed. I won't recommend this book to readers who haven't seen or read Beauty and The Beast.

THE REVIEW

WRITING STYLE:
There is something hypnotizing about Miss Valentino's writing. Her prose knows when to grab you at the right moment. My only problem is sometimes it feels like there are parts that are just there for the sake of sounding poetic and musical.
Maud
Jul 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: stand-alone
Definitely better than Fairest of All!
Alejandro Camacho
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Once upon a time there was a Beauty and there was a Beast too.

Everybody knows their story, the curse, the enchanted rose and the love which was born over all the obstacles and dangers giving a happy ending to the tale. But before anything of this happened…there was a Prince.

Have you ever wondered how was the life of the Prince before he turned into the Beast? This amazing retelling give us the chance to see the story under the Beast’s skin, his deepest fears and pain as he struggles his own batt
Red_Queen_Lover
DNF
I'm sorry it didn't capture my attention as much as I hoped!
Kaitlyn
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was about how the beast in beauty and the beast, the story is about how he became the beast and how Bell saved his life.
Mariah Roze
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
"A cursed prince sits alone in a secluded castle. Few have seen him, but those who claim they have say his hair is wild and nails are sharp--like a beast's! But how did this prince, once jovial and beloved by the people, come to be a reclusive and bitter monster? And is it possible that he can ever find true love and break the curse that has been placed upon him?"
Kerri Selby
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beauty & the Beast is one of my favourite Disney films so I was really excited to read this book.

Cursed to turn into the Beast for being shallow & self-centred, the reader follows how the Prince tries to outwit the curse and the rapscallion Odd Sisters, so he doesn't remain a Beast forever.

I liked how the previous 'villian', Snow White's stepmum was mentioned, and a follow on Villian is spoken about.
*❆ Kαɾҽɳ ❆*
For many of you who know me, I’m a huge sucker for fairytale retellings, especially Beauty and the Beast ones.
Hence I’ve been dying to read this all year! And now I finally got that chance!

I loved this new remake of B&B Retelling, especially since we saw it through the perspective of the Prince.

I liked the plot and how we got to see more of Gaston and the Enchantress. Perhaps what I didn’t like that by halfway through the book I felt though that the plot was very rushed to finish, like it had
Heather
I was really surprised to learn that most of the events that take place in this story happen before The Beast meets Belle. And while it was a nice backstory, I found it kind of boring, and flat. There weren't hardly any mentions of the beloved secondary characters in the movie/book that make this such an amazing story, and to me that made it seem almost boring. The Beast mainly interacted with characters that were new to the story, and himself, and while the new characters did add dimension and ...more
Medusa  Bren De wit
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I truly love this story, ❤❤❤ review will follow soon on my blog.
Becky
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020-reads
Similar to how I felt with Fairest Of All.
This did have a better explanation and story of the beasts change in character and his motives for why he was the way he is, however I still feel like these stories are not that great and don't add to my enjoyment of these stories.
Julianne
Dec 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
I think because this is a story that I grew up with, and happens to be my favorite Disney movie, it holds a very sacred place in my heart. I didn't particularly care for this book at all. First, many times it changes/conflicts with the original story that we know and love. Second, it made me REALLY dislike the prince..... like a lot. I know in the movie it is explained that he wasn't a great guy and that's why he was cursed in the first place, but we don't see a whole lot of that. We don't hate ...more
Alaina
“Only one thing comforted him: he had finally learned what it was to love. And the feeling was deeper and more meaningful than anything he’d felt before. He felt like he was dying. To die, one must have first been alive. And the Beast could finally say that by finding love, he had lived.”

Now I abso-freaking-lutely love Beauty and the Beast. I mean that library scene gets me every time.

Any book that has to deal with my favorite movie and disney princess will definitely fall into my lap. I will de
Michelle Ann
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
So I was really disappointed in this book. I had read her previous take on Snow White and enjoyed it, but B&tB is a movie so close to my heart and I felt this book was on fast forward the whole time. In the beginning, I thought the twists that were introduced were interesting. I liked the added characters and how they affected the plot, but with all these new characters, it seemed the old ones were just forgotten or set aside. Basically, I felt like this book needed to be longer, more in depth s ...more
Sophia
Aug 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
Cons:
sub par writing, inconsistencies with the Disney version and original version of the fairy tale, mixing other Disney characters randomly and unabashedly using magic as a scape goat.

Pros:
The enchantress gets more of a back story, magic makes the beast older when he gets cursed instead of 10 or 11, and makes the curse more frightening.

This book seems like a very quickly made attempt to cash in on the current Disney hipster trend. I was hoping for more from this book. I was expecting more of
MissBecka
I love this series of stories, they're all so well crafted.
This one being no exception.
Creating a story all new for who the prince was and how the curse came to be was ever so delightful to read. I especially enjoyed (view spoiler)
The odd sisters of course do not disappoint and are my top choic

• A Whole New World
  • Maleficent: Mistress of Evil Novelization
  • Beauty and the Beast: Lost in a Book
  • Disney Twisted Tales
  • Disney: Belle Takes Flight
  • Disney at Dawn (Kingdom Keepers, #2)
  • Beauty and the Beast Novelization
  • The Curse of Maleficent: The Tale of a Sleeping Beauty
Serena Valentino is best known for weaving tales that combine mythos and guile with her work on the comic book series GloomCookie and Nightmares & Fairy Tales, and her best selling Disney Villain Novels which have earned her critical acclaim for her unique style of storytelling, bringing her readers into exquisitely frightening worlds filled with terror, beauty and extraordinary female protagonist ...more

Villains (7 books)
  • Fairest of All: A Tale of the Wicked Queen
  • Poor Unfortunate Soul: A Tale of the Sea Witch
  • Mistress of All Evil: A Tale of the Dark Fairy (Villains #4)
  • Mother Knows Best: A Tale of the Old Witch
  • The Odd Sisters: A Tale of the Three Witches (Villains #6)
  • Evil Thing