Start by marking “Payoff (Mindspace Investigations, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Payoff (Mindspace Investigations, #1.5)

Payoff

(Mindspace Investigations #1.5)

Being a telepath, I should have seen the hell I was getting myself into...
I used to be one of the most powerful telepaths in the guild. That was before my drug addiction and before they kicked me out. But I'm not a bad guy. Now I help the Atlanta PD solve murders. And even though there are only a few people I call friends, I'd do most anything to keep their trust.
So when
Published March 1st 2013 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Payoff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Payoff

Start your review of Payoff (Mindspace Investigations, #1.5)
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
A very nice short story linking ## 1 & 2 in this series.
Q:
I wouldn’t be surprised if a huge concrete cover sealed up the building’s front every night; after the Tech Wars, people got paranoid, and for good reason. Why a politician had chosen this particular building with all its paranoia rather than the newer grown-crystal open buildings told me something about his character. (c)
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
I forgot how obnoxious people around Adam are. Every single one of them. I don't get what he sees in Cherubino, she is so ungrateful one needs to think of a new term for it. The way people act around him makes this a bit depressing to read.

I get he made mistakes in the past, but give a guy a break. A judge is sort of blackmailing him to find his grandson or he will rethink Adam's own sentence. Adam has a huge problem - his telepathy seems to be gone. There is a pretty good twist I did not expect
Beth
This is a novella set shortly after the events of the previous book where the hero is suffering what he fears will be the permanent loss of his abilities.
He investigates the disappearance and murder of a young college student and is basically thrown into it on his own as his partner is take elsewhere on other work. Without his abilities, he's forced to rely on his intelligence and experience and isn't convinced of the use of either.
☀Rachael☀
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Now I have to catch up with this series!
Dana
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a novella that came between the first and second books. It also explained a little that I was slightly confused about when I read the second book before this one.
I like this series. I will continue one with this one.
Sionna
I probably shouldn't have rushed through this or read it when I was so tired. I don't actually recall much.... I did enjoy it and liked that we learned how Adam pissed off granny, but meh.

RavenT
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this novella, which had a good plot with resolution, and I think fans of the main character will also enjoy the story. It's not critical to read it in the series order.
Angela
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5/5. A nice short story with the main characters from the first book it branches together the first book and the start of the second book.
Chris
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty good series about a high-powered telepath and recovering addict who works for the police and is more or less trying to stay clean.
Quinn
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Yeah, if Adam just did that mind twist to make Bradley unconscious, he wouldn't have been burnt out at all. Tsk.
Kathy Davie
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is 1.5 in the Mindspace Investigations science fiction mystery series and revolving around Adam.

My Take
It's an interesting series so far with a recovering drug addicted telepath who works for the police in a computer-phobic country.

In this one, it's a slice of Adam's life, and Hughes works it well, making us feel how helpless Adam feels without his telepathy. I'm not sure if I didn't "feel" the fear of it because I know the story continues, and I believe he must recover or if Hughes simpl
Monica T. Rodriguez
A nice interlude b/w Clean and Sharp. Getting more of a sense of the main character, a little more of his past. The interaction between him and Cherabino are as tense as ever and continue where they left off in Clean. I'm liking this character more and more. It's his struggle to do what's right, no matter what it costs him. And it often costs him a lot. Makes you hope he'll catch a break someday. Maybe on Sharp. We'll see. Going straight on to Sharp! ...more
Glennis
Mar 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I didn't realize this came out until much later after I read the first book. This does deal with things that happened in the first book but it also doesn't ruin the action that happened there if someone reads this first. I like that this is in the future but due to the Tech wars some things are the same as now and other things are advanced. I also have a soft spot for SF mysteries and it is nice having another series to read. A nice way to hook readers of police mysteries if you know someone out ...more
Algot Runeman
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Deaf to mindspace, that's Adam's condition following the case in Clean. He still tries to use his interrogation skills and tries to cover his inability to read anybody's mind. Everybody seems to assume he's using his skills. The work goes on. New cases come in including a dead body, the grandson of the judge who handled Adam's drug case.
Highly Recommended I'm hooked. The next book in the series is already downloaded to the Nook.
Meggie
Payoff is a well written sequel after the Clean. Adam is in trouble because his Telepathy isn't jet back and he didn't share that part with anyone. I really enjoyed Adam's developing as a character. He is getting emotionally and mentally stronger. We didn't know him as a character before his downfall, but now he is starting from the bottom to be a better person. That's why I like this series, at least so far. I'm definitely looking forward to Sharp.
Jessica
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Amazing novella between Clean and Sharp. The plot was tight and fast-paced. But I've gotta say that I figured out the mystery quite early in the story. It was interesting to see how Adam solved cases like a normal person without telepathy. An interesting alternative view. I am super happy that he is getting back his telepathy and am super looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Molly Smith
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a treat, Payoff gives us a glimpse of how Adam survived during his recovery from overextending his telepathy. I loved how he tried to use other talents to figure out the case. The realization of how it feels to be human without mental abilities. The interactions between him and Cherabino were wonderful. This is a really great series and I would say to any fans this is a must-read treat!
Melindeeloo
Nov 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: x2015
2.5 stars - I was sort of ambivalent about the first book, but it ended well so I decided to give this short a try and it was very repetitious in the angst department - I did this in audio and only have about ten minutes left but I don't have a driving need to finish. I did finish but probably won't continue unless they go on Sa!e.
Dr susan
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I needed an Adam fix and could not wait til April 2. Payoff shows Adam struggling to function as a headblind person, using his skills to solve a case, and facing more personal demons. I enjoyed Payoff, and cannot wait until Sharp is out.
Beatrice
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-reads
I love this little episode between Clean and Sharp. It was a quick little story that fit well between the two novels, now that I've also finished Sharp. I really love this author, and I can't wait until the next book arrives!
Doug
Nov 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
This was a pretty good filler story between the first and second books. I'm looking forward to reading the 2nd full book; the characters have really grown on me, even though the overall setting is somewhat depressing.
Jan 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: nook, urban-fantasy
A novella set in the Mindspace universe, between novel 1 and novel 2. A decent short piece, with a mystery to solve and (of course) tension between Adam and Cherabino, not to mention Adam and the rest of the world.
Liz
Apr 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Enjoying this series, though this entry as a novelette is too short to get very involved in the story. Am looking forward to reading the next novel. A plus, though, it was a free download from the library.
Maryellen
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-read
The best review I can give this novella is the simplest - it made me remember how much I wanted to read the next book in the series!
JK
Mar 17, 2013 rated it liked it
This a nice little story to bridge the gap between the first two books of the series. Nothing big or specatcular, but good.
Jacqueline
Extra 1/2 star.
Tamer Sadek
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fun but not enjoying the fact that our hero is a strong telepath whose telepathy isn't working...
Frank
May 07, 2014 rated it liked it
nice little snack from this universe...
Amy Braun
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good novella! It was fun to watch Adam solve a case on his own. Can't wait to keep going with this series!
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Good story, fun read. I definitely want to continue this series.

• Fallen (Alex Verus, #10)
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • Veiled (Alex Verus, #6)
  • Hidden (Alex Verus, #5)
  • Bound (Alex Verus, #8)
  • Burned (Alex Verus, #7)
  • Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • Marked (Alex Verus, #9)
  • Fearless (Pax Arcana, #3)
  • Charming (Pax Arcana, #1)
  • Buried Memory  (Harbinger P.I. #2)
  • Lost Soul (Harbinger P.I., #1)
  • Hungry Ghosts (Eric Carter, #3)
  • Daring (Pax Arcana, #2)
  • Fire Season (Eric Carter #4)
  • Death Rites (The Lazarus Codex #1)
  • Organ Grind (The Lazarus Codex #2)
Alex Hughes was born in Savannah, GA and moved to the south Atlanta area when she was eight years old. Shortly thereafter, her grandfather handed her a copy of Anne McCaffrey’s Dragonrider series, and a lifelong obsession with scifi was born.

Alex is a graduate of the prestigious Odyssey Writing Workshop and a Semi-Finalist in the 2011 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Awards. Her short pieces are publishe

Mindspace Investigations (4 books)
  • Clean (Mindspace Investigations, #1)
  • Sharp (Mindspace Investigations, #2)
  • Marked (Mindspace Investigations, #3)
  • Vacant (Mindspace Investigations, #4)