Start by marking “Railway to the Grave” as Want to Read:
Railway to the Grave

Railway to the Grave (The Railway Detective #7)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  388 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Now here's a murd'rous tale of woe, See a hero misbehave. For it shows a valiant soldier go, By railway to the grave.Yorkshire 1855. Colonel Aubrey Tarleton is a man respected by his neighbours in the small Yorkshire village of South Otterington - as much for his heroic feats in the army as for his social position. So the community is left stunned when Tarleton, deliberate ...more
Published June 7th 2010 by Allison & Busby

To ask other readers questions about Railway to the Grave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Railway to the Grave

Gerry
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edward Marston's splendid Railway Detective series has one good starting point in that the reader is immediately drawn into the drama and that is very much the case in this, Detective Robert Colbeck's seventh recorded case.

The action takes place in Yorkshire where Colonel Aubrey Tarleton and his wife live with two step-children, on the wife's side, living away. The Colonel's wife disappears and before too long the Colonel himself writes himself into the title of the novel.

Suspicion is placed on
Terri Lynn
Another satisfying read in Edward Marston's excellent series about Scotland Yard's Detective Inspector Richard Colbeck set in 1850's England (with forays into Wales and France at times).

This book was special because Richard's boss Detective Superintendent Tallis who normally is a gruff, anti-marriage, ill-tempered crank who especially drives Colbeck's assistant Detective Sergeant Victor Leeming up the wall, is shown to have a very human heart and a soft core.

One of Tallis' old military buddies
Kathryn
I enjoy listening to these as audiobooks. I especially enjoyed this one - there were plenty of plot twists and turns that I didn’t see coming and I love the little developments in Detective Inspector Robert Colbeck’s relationship with Madeleine Andrews which are in each of the books.
Johnny
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As is my unfortunate wont, I found a copy of Railway to the Grave and was immediately captured by the old-style font and design enough to overlook the fact that this was a novel late in a series named after the first novel in said series, The Railway Detective. Yet, I figured I had started in mid-series before and, if I liked the characters, style and plotting, I would go back to the beginning (in this case, I did rather obsessively). Readers of the series will already be familiar with Inspector ...more
Tony
RAILWAY TO THE GRAVE. (2010). Edward Marston. ***.
Back in the early 1990s I was an avid reader of the novels of Mr. Marston. At the time, he was writing a series of mysteries set in Elizabethan England and featuring actors from The King’s Players as his characters and sleuths. I was always impressed with the depth and breadth of his knowledge about English drama, especially the period about which he was writing. Then his books stopped appearing in bookstores. Not knowing what happened, I ultimat
Bradley
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't know how I missed this one when it was published, but was pleased to discover it when I finally did. Purchased with a greatly appreciated gift card, this book was doubly enjoyed for its addition to my library by thoughtful friends.

This jump back in time was a welcome relief after a period of reading modern, grittier stories. Although I know that books like Marston's over-romanticize the Victorian era, I do enjoy the respite they bring to a harried mind. It may be looking at the time throug
Joan
I am not going to rate this - I only read it because I had purchased four books in this series from a charity shop. This was as I expected. Nothing special, the MC as dull and 'perfect' as in the first book, the secondary characters clichéd. I wanted some tension, something to make me CARE about people, to make me desperate to read to the end, but I didn't get any of that.
Lynne
May 17, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable tosh - Victorian pulp fiction packed with stereotypical, two-dimensional characters but nevertheless, a rollicking deckchair read, worth the £1 spent in The Works!!
Caroline Scott
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this book today. Yet another thoroughly enjoyable Edward Marston Railway Detective story. The ending was totally unexpected. There were plenty of red herrings and I reached the final chapter feeling I knew who the main perpetrator was. I was totally wrong! Looking forward to reading more about Inspector Colbesk and co.
Vicky Tagg
another great book from Edward Marston never disapointed
Clark Hallman
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: railroad, crime, british, 2017
Railway To The Grave by Edward Marston (2010): This is the seventh book in Marston’s Railway Detective series set in England in the mid-1800s. Colonel Aubrey Tarleton, a well-respected citizen and heroic army hero in the small village of South Otterington, deliberately walks into the path of a locomotive after the disappearance of his wife. A note pinned to his clothing states: “Whoever finds me, notify Superintendent Tallis of the Detective Department at Scotland Yard.” Tallis begins the invest ...more
Kirstin
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical mystery style book. The glow was good and the ending wasn't expected. Overall good quick read.
Maria Thermann
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This splendid mystery is set in 1855 in rural Yorkshire, where a dear, long-time friend of Superintendent Tallis has been found dead on a railway line heading for Doncaster . Retired Colonel Aubrey Tarleton commits suicide, after his wife disappears under mysterious circumstances and a flood of poison pen letters arrives, accusing him of her murder.

This railway mystery reveals quite a lot about the limited relationship Superintendent Tallis has with the outside world and perhaps why he is not ma
David
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the seventh book in a series featuring Inspector Robert Colbeck, dubbed 'the Railway detective' because he is frequently called upon to solve mysteries connected with Britain's rapidly growing railway network in the mid-nineteenth century. I've enjoyed the series so far, and this installment was no exception.

Colbeck is a dandyish gent, whereas his sidekick Sergeant Leeming is more straight-forward and down to earth, thus they make a pairing with some similarities to Morse and Lewis, alth
Peter Auber
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephanie Jane
This is the seventh in the Railway Detective series of mysteries but it didn't seem to matter that I haven't read any of the others. Back stories are minimal and simple so easy to catch up on. The whole book is an easy, holiday-type read, firmly entrenched in the attitudes of its period and without excess soul-searching getting in the way of its story. I liked the characters of South Otterington, many are caricatures rather than rounded people but they are all distinct. By contrast, the three De ...more
Rog Harrison
I had read one of the author's books in another series and had not enjoyed it much. This series is set in the 1850s and involves two detectives from Scotland Yard. In this book they start off investigating a suicide in a small town in Yorkshire and then uncover a murder. I find the author's writing style to be plodding and the characters did not come to life for me. To be fair the plot in this book was clever if perhaps a bit unlikely and I certainly did not suspect who was the murderer. The aut ...more
Pat
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tragedy strikes close to the Detective Department when an old army friend of Superintendent Tallis walks to meet a speeding train head on.The suicide, prompted by the disappearance of the man s wife, has shocked the local community and leaves plenty for Inspector Robert Colbeck, the Railway Detective, to uncover. Whispers and rumors abound but did the dead man, Captain Randall, really take his own life in repentance for some harm he did his wife?

I am really enjoying these Railway Detective books
Richard
I have read all the previous six books in this delightful series and scored each one either 4* or 5*. The formula is pretty much the same with murder/crime committed with some connection to the blossoming rail industry, hence the requirement of Scotland Yard's Railway Detective. The series is a must for any British historical fan with a penchant for trains and murder mystery. This is just good old-fashioned fiction. No swearing, no sex just good police work and a host of interesting characters f ...more
Carole Moran
Dec 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Edward Marston is very readable. An excellent British author. This particular book is one of a series about a Scotland Yard detective in London during the 1850's. It contains segments that don't really add to the main story line, but which no doubt lend continuity for the benefit of persons who have read previous books in the series. The story moves rapidly, the plot is engaging, and Marston keeps one guessing right up to the end. I will probably try other books in this series.
Richard Thomas
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
A good read - I did get through it at a sitting beyond midnight. Nicely written with plenty of twists in the plot and some pretty nasty incidental characters, many of whom get their desserts. I didn't spot the murderer until very close to the end - which is partly why I pressed on with it. My only reservation is the tendency to draw aside from the action to write about the central character's romantic interest; fine as such but there's a little too much for me.
Damien G
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The death of Superintendent Tallis's army friend sends up a signal and the inspector has to investigate.The problem is that many think it is suicide but evidence differs.Both the inspector and his able sargeant learning investigate but are partly hampered by Tallis.Another book in the excellent series which captures the history of the early railways.
Lynn Lerch
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspector Colbect investigates the death of Superintent Tallis' army friend, Captain Randall who walks infront of a train and is killed. Capt Randall's wife has disappeared before his death. What happened to Mrs Randall and why does he walk on the tracks toward the train? A great adventure.
Librarylady90
This mystery was entertaining as far as it went. I'm not sure I would seek out others in the series, but I am a sucker for historical mysteries. I like the other series by this author, based on an Elizabethan era drama troupe, much more.
Ian B
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first fiction read, driven by a keen interest in the victorian railway era. I loved it. Finished it in a day. Now going to read the series. Captivating and engaging and great escapism. Easy reading but highly entertaining.
Mary Scott
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Another good read which gives more insight in to the personal lives of the main characters. In many ways the best book in the series so far, with a twist in the tale which was unexpected. Looking forward to reading the eighth book in the series "Blood on the Line".
Grace
Jun 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was okay. I didn't like the resolution. And sometimes his writing is a bit simplistic.
Russell Collins
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspector Colbeck, the railway detective is back. I love this series--trains in the 1850s, quaint English village (this time), baffling murder. What's not to like.
Ian Nisbet
Shades of Mr Whicher and Sherlock Holmes. Does labour the period detail a bit. Refers to 'copy of Bradshaw' I'm sure Holmes and Portillo just call it 'Bradshaw'.
S Dizzy
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Thoroughly enjoyable story.
  • An Order for Death (Matthew Bartholomew, #7)
  • Fall From Grace (Inspector McLevy, #2)
  • Landed Gently
  • Murder on the Mauretania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #2)
  • Shrouds of Holly (Pennyfoot Hotel #15)
  • Slow Dancing on Price's Pier
  • Petrified (Cetin Ikmen, #6)
  • Dorothea's War
  • The Rough Collier (Gilbert Cunningham, #5)
  • Days Without Number

A pseudonym used by Keith Miles
AKA A.E. Marston

Keith Miles (born 1940) is an English author, who writes under his own name and also historical fiction and mystery novels under the pseudonym Edward Marston. He is known for his mysteries set in the world of Elizabethan theatr
More about Edward Marston...

The Railway Detective (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Railway Detective (The Railway Detective #1)
  • The Excursion Train (Detective Inspector Robert Colbeck, #2)
  • The Railway Viaduct
  • The Iron Horse
  • Murder on the Brighton Express (Detective Inspector Robert Colbeck, #5)
  • The Silver Locomotive Mystery (Detective Inspector Robert Colbeck, #6)
  • Blood on the Line
  • The Stationmaster's Farewell
  • Peril on the Royal Train
  • A Ticket to Oblivion (The Railway Detective, #11)