Start by marking “Fate War: Alliance” as Want to Read:
Fate War: Alliance

Fate War: Alliance

Prince Cole meets Samantha when she walks down the aisle. Though she seems like the polished women he is familiar with, there is something different. She is complicated and full of mystery. Her dowry comes with a promise of air ships and mech capable of defense against their common enemy and for his country to survive, he must unravel her secrets. It is only when each acce ...more
Published February 25th 2013 by E.M. Havens

To ask other readers questions about Fate War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fate War

Val Booklover
Some of the reviews have already included a summary, so I'll skip it.

The cons first to get them out of the way: There are some minor bumps in the plot, but nothing terrible. Some of the characters are a little vague and the threat of the Fate is not really explained and you only felt it on the last chapters(why "Fate"? this is unclear). Also, there are some typos in the edition I own, which is distracting.

That said, I really really really enjoyed this one.

The author shows a very much appreciat
Feb 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's taken me a long time to sit down and write this review. I spent a while dithering over the star rating I would give the book. If I were basing my rating solely on how enjoyable the story is and how much potential it has, I would have given it four stars, but I can't ignore the flaws that hindered my enjoyment and brought it down to a three star rating.

The story (a steampunk romance set to a backdrop of an impending war) is well crafted. The writer has taken the time to research certain aspe
April Showers Bring Fungi From Yuggoth
Review of Fate War: Alliance
5 stars

It’s not often I encounter fantasy interwoven with my beloved sub-genre Steampunk, but here it is, and it works amazingly well. Crown Prince Cole of the Kingdom of Arborea is a rather headstrong, iconoclastic individual, who much prefers to do his own bidding, which is NOT to ascend to the throne. He and his father King Arnold at totally and always at cross-purposes. Cole certainly does not wish to wed unseen, simply because his Kingdom and the Island of Perspi
Penelope Bartotto
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is the best of two worlds.... steampunk and romance all in one fabulous tale. Havens creates all the hallmarks of a great romance, but without making it seem like a "Hallmark" romance. The reason for the story being so interesting is the unique aspect that the lovely princess character has to her personality. Add in the steampunk world that the story is set in with detailed features like.... airships, mechanical arms, a wicked brooch, and Mechmen, and you have a fantasy that knocks you ...more
Beverly
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My thoughts:
I was impressed with this book from the first page. The author makes magnificent word choices. The story flows seemlessly. If there had been nothing else I would have still enjoyed the book for that one reason alone, but there is so very much more to this story than the brilliance of the language telling it. The characters are incredible. They are well made, vividly described and complete with flawed personalities and emotions that make them real to the reader and easy to invest in.
Vanessa  Pham
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I was very lucky to win this book as a good reads give away. This was my first book in the world of steam punk and I really liked it. I enjoyed the steam pink aspect, but also enjoyed the romance part of the story as well. I am a sucker for romance. It was in a way "the best of both worlds." There was a great balance between the story and romance. I really liked the characters as well. Sam and Cole were well fleshed out and the relationship between them had me hooked. However, there was a pet pe ...more
Carmen
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
The following review can be found on my blog here. There is also a giveaway, closing 24/04/2013. My review is based on a copy I got for the blog tour of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

I had no clear idea what to expect when I started reading Fate War: Alliance, I was just hoping for a great steampunk read and that was the main reason why I signed up to be part of the tour. While the steampunk elements are there and well-done, the book very much focuses on the romance and on how Sama
Rachel
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An arranged marriage between Prince Cole and Princess Samantha provides the alliance needed to defeat the Fate Army.

Prince Cole is your basic playboy-not-interested-in-being-King. Princess Samantha is anything but basic. When Cole’s brother is killed, Cole is forced to step into his place as next-in-line to the throne, but he doesn’t exactly go willingly. Sam wants to escape palace life, but before she can, her parents send her to a “finishing” school and wipe out her uniqueness and free will.

Af
Riley
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fate War: Alliance is a short novel packed full of all the fascinating and wonderful things that make a book memorable. Steampunk, romance and drama are combined to give you a fascinating read that is over much too quickly!

The setting. Alliance can be classified as steampunk. While many of the books in this genre tend to be set in an alternative historical setting, Alliance is more of a fantasy setting. This story takes place in the low tech country of Arborea, neighbor of the high tech Perspici
Kathryn Romeo
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fate War Alliance was my first journey into the world of steampunk, and I was pleasantly surprised by it. I was expecting the steampunk aspect to be overwhelming with the description of cogs, widgets, and other creative machinery to leave the story feeling muddled and confusing. Thankfully, this is far from the experience that I had with Fate War! Instead, I found an entertaining story, well-developed characters with the steampunk aspect just serving as an accent to the story.

Samantha and Cole's
Joy
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Having only read the term steampunk on occasion and not understanding what it meant, it was clear I needed to diversify. Intrigued by the rave reviews I delved into an alternate world of gadgets and tinkers and what an intriguing world it was.

Two Kingdoms form a political alliance through the marriage of Prince Cole, heir to the throne and Samantha who brings her own mech dowry to battle against a superior and technologically advanced foe.

Cole is a reluctant future King who at first comes acros
Linda Ulleseit
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fantasy
I very much enjoyed this steampunk romance novel. The plot line of the independent untraditional prince who finds an independent untraditional princess tugged at my heart. I became so involved in the relationship between Sam and Cole that I cannot wait for the second book!

I am a reader who is really annoyed by spelling issues, and there were quite a few in this book. They wouldn't interfere with most people's enjoyment of the book, and they certainly don't get in the way of understanding the st
Kat
Great book! A great mix of action, kingdoms, romance, new adult, and steampunk.

I also very much appreciated the honest struggles of the main characters. Dealing with ones own past traumas, decisions, expectations, and trying to be yourself as you are trying to fit into a marriage. Also, that with all these conflicts there are often two steps forward and one step back.

Although the story was unique, it reminded me of two other series I also enjoyed Poison Study (young adult) and The Second Son (ad
Allie Ritch
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! I loved this book. You don't have to be a steampunk fan to enjoy this story. I think other fantasy, sci-fi, and even historical romance fans will take to it as well. There wasn't a single scene that lagged, and the characters were complex and interesting. The romance between the hero and heroine was a journey with lots of twists and turns. It was great to see how they developed as individuals and grew closer together throughout the book. And of course there was the suspense and action ...more
Judy Goodwin
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Readers of romance will recognize a classic plotline here--the forced marriage where a distressed damsel meets what at first appears to be an insensitive man. But from here Havens breaks from tradition. There's a lot more to Samantha and Cole than what first meets the eye, and there's a lot more at stake between their union. The story is light-hearted and fun but at the same time delves into some darker issues of abusive families and brain washing. The steampunk and fantasy elements just add to ...more
Pam
'Fate War: Alliance' is a well crafted story, that will keep you reading from the beginning to the end. The characters are well developed and interesting. The plot is complex enough to keep you guessing and interested. This story has just the right amount of intrigue and romance. The female lead (Samantha) is a complicated character with strength and a vulnerability that makes her believable. The male lead (Cole) is just the right amount of strength and comparison, without becoming a pushover.
Susan
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
E.M. Havens pens "Fate War: Alliance" in a fascinating and intriguing plot that won't let you go until your finished. Ms. Havens characters are very well developed, believable and will have you thinking about them long after you've finished the book. A great classic love story that should be on all romance fan TBR list!

This review is based on a complimentary copy from the author which was provided for an honest review.
Sherrie
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book! First fiction that has kept me awake past my bedtime in a long time. Romance, adventure, science fiction... three of my favorite things! Only warning is that it is pretty steamy in places, so my recommendation would be for the happily married reader. :). Can't wait to read the next one!
Sandie Innamorati
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book opened my eyes to the world of steampunk. I don't know if other authors in this genre are as gifted at drawing a reader into their world, but Havens has that ability in spades. The characters are all strong and intriguing and captured my heart. It's the kind of book that made me not want to waste time sleeping. I can't wait for the sequel.
Michelle Leisy
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I started this book last night and couldn't put it down. I ended up finishing it at 12:30. Big mistake since the baby didn't sleep well and kept me up the rest of the night. It must be a pretty good book if it keeps me up late when I've got a teething baby to take care of. :)
Bonnie Milani
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A must read love story for lovers everywhere. Against the steampunk backdrop of war, young Cole and Samantha defy the traditions of their nations to slowly discover each other's true self. In so doing they manage not only to save each other, but their world as well. DEFINITELY BOTH THUMBS UP!
Andrea
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I am never sure what I will get with the free Kindle titles, but this one was GREAT! I finished it and went to amazon looking for the next one (which is unfortunately not published yet).
Ann Everett
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fate War was my first experience reading Steam Punk. I gotta say, Ms. Havens' book has made me a fan. The action and romance share center stage and I loved both. I highly recommend this book. Such a nice mixture of past and present.
Eileen Ward
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it a lot but I want a sequel or three!
Juan Gutierrez
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the greatest comming of age stories I've read! And Futuristic, and steampunk, Miss Havens truly created a cast of great characters. A great read!
Louisa
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an awesome book! Loved the steampunk world, and the characters, it was a really fantastic read!
Sam Richardson
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Unputdownable! Great romance, great mystery, great setting, great gadgets! Havens is a master storyteller. Thoroughly enjoyable. I finished it in two days straight!
Johnna
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun story! Great Steampunk read with a some romance. Very interested to see what happens next, will be keeping my eyes out for the sequel!
Michelle B
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk
Absolutely, heart-stoppingly amazing!!
Volpot
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
3 stars.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Fall of Sky City (Devices of War, #1)
  • The Locket Thief
  • The Kaiser Affair (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #1)
  • The Mysterious Lady Law
  • Transcender: First-Timer (Transcender, #1)
  • Skies of Fire (The Ether Chronicles, #1)
  • Viridis (Viridis, #1)
  • Revenge of the Mad Scientist (Airship Adventure Chronicles #1)
  • The Hunter (The Legend Chronicles, #1)
  • The Shadow of Black Wings (The Year of the Dragon, #1)
  • Mad Tinker's Daughter (Mad Tinker Chronicles, #1)
  • Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk, #1.5)
  • Full Steam Ahead
  • The Lady Astronomer
  • Thomas Riley
  • The Devil Is a Gentleman (Niki Slobodian, #2)
  • Hounds of Autumn
  • Lord Kelvin's Machine (Narbondo, #3)