Start by marking “Staged to Death (Caprice De Luca Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Staged to Death (Caprice De Luca Mystery #1)

Staged to Death

(Caprice De Luca Home Staging Mystery #1)

Cozy mystery, Book 1 in the Caprice DeLuca home-stager mystery series

Caprice DeLuca stages houses for high-end clients. When she discovers a body in the castle-mansion she staged to sell and starts asking questions, she finds herself in danger. On the way to solving the murder, Caprice's large Italian family helps and hinders. She also finds romance with Dr. Seth Randolph.
Published December 3rd 2013 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Staged to Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Staged to Death

Julie
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Staged to Death by Karen Rose Smith is a 2015 Kensington publication.

I enjoy a good cozy mystery from time to time but it's been a while since I found a series I really, really liked. This one just might fit the bill. This is the first book in the series and it's off to a wonderful start!

When Roz and her husband, Ted, decided too sell their spacious castle style home, Caprice is hired to do a 'staging' to help the property sell. However, Roz and Caprice can not convince Ted to remove his colle
Carolyn
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: smith-karen-rose
What a cute book! I loved the DeLuca family dynamics and all the characters involved. They are so tight knit. My early years took place in an Italian neighborhood in New York before we moved. I spent many a weekend and weekday night at my friends' dining room tables with their multi-generational family members (Nanas included) where huge platters of homemade, delicious food were served. (Great recipes at the end of the book.) Between those memories lovingly kindled through this story and the loc ...more
Katrina Epperson
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A lot of people have been affected by the economic down turn, Caprice DeLuca is no different who was once an interior designer, but now stages homes for a quick sale in the real estate market. She has a variety of clients and homes, so she must be excellent at seeing potential and using her various sources to enable her to make a vision come true. This last home owned by Ted and Roz Winslow is a challenge in two ways. First, the house is in the shape of a castle that Ted built for Roz 5 years ag ...more
Ronna
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Caprice De Luca has a good thing going in her small town of Kismet, PA. She lives near her close knit family and her house staging business is growing daily. She's growing her business into the high end housing market with the staging of her old high school friend's "Camelot" home. The first showing brought out loads of people, but they weren't all in the market to buy. There were those only wanting to see the big house, those there for the gourmet food, and those there with evil intent. There w ...more
Shelly Itkin
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Solve The Crime

Caprice De Luca is a very well known interior decorator that has changed her business into a thriving staging business to help people sell their homes. One of her recent clients is a very wealthy couple who Caprice knows the wife Roz who was an old friend from High School.

When a murder occurs in their home and Roz’s husband Ted is found murdered it is Caprice and Roz who find the body. Naturally the wife is always the number one suspect and so Caprice decides to play “amateur dete
Dianne
May 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
I must agree with another reviewer, that I do not understand all of the 4 and 5 star reviews. I have been reading cozy mysteries for years and I have very rarely come across on that depended more on side stories and the writers interests, than I have with this book.

I learned more about decorating, redecorating and the staging business than I did about the murder of Ted. I realize that this is the first book in the series and it needs to set things up for future books with back-story on the chara
Rosemary K
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Caprice De Luca is in the home staging business in Kismet, Pennsylvania. She helps clients display their homes using a specific theme. Her latest job is for her friend, Roz Winslow. The showing goes well but what happens next is not what she expects. Caprice finds Ted, Roz's husband, dead. He has been stabbed with one of his prized daggers. Now Roz is the main suspect. Caprice is determined to help her. She will find the killer. Or die trying. Karen Rose Smith has written an engaging and suspens ...more
Elizabeth
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thought This book was interesting and intriguing to read as a mystery. It mostly a mystery more than romance. It had a some some romance which includes Caprice dating an urgent care doctor name Self Randolf. There were several instances she would instigate possibles scenarios in find out the truth pertaining to Ted's Winslow murder while his wife Roz would be the major suspect in her husbands death. Caprice would use her knowledge to home- staged her clients houses. Her Grandmother Nana would ...more
Susan Allanson
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Reviewing a novel by Karen Rose Smith gets easier and easier with each book you read. In her first mystery book. Karen Rose Smith's signature style truly shines. The characters and locations really come to life in your mind with vivid descriptions that never get in the way of the story telling.
At 352 pages Staged to Death keeps your attention, as well as keeps you guessing until the end.
After one book about the life of Caprice De Luca I feel like she is my friend. I can't wait for the next boo
Linda
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
4 Stars! I enjoyed learning about 'home staging'; a career I'd never heard of before reading this cozy. The characters are interesting, with a little romance between Caprice and Seth. The development of Caprice and Roz's friendship was heartfelt. The mystery kept me guessing until the last few pages. I enjoyed the addition of the foster kittens to the story.
Teresa Williams
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you like Karen Rose Smith's other books, you are going to love, love, love this one! Karen is so talented at providing the reader with great dialog and descriptive text. Caprice De Luca is a interior designer turned home stager and accidentally happens upon a murder. She finds herself in trouble herself because she asks too many questions.
Trish
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
I generally really enjoy "cozy" mysteries, and thought I'd love Caprice and her job as a home stager. Instead, this book was bogged down with waaaay too many details and couldn't quite seem to make up its mind what it was - foodie novel? funky retro shopping guide? animal rescue propaganda? I had to force myself to finish it, and frankly I found the ending cheesy.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This was a 4.5 star read for me. This is also a new series to me, although there are now four in this series. If the rest are as enjoyable as this one, I will definitely follow the exploits of Caprice DeLuca and her family and friends for many more entertaining hours.

Caprice DeLuca is a home stager. She tries to work for clients with high end homes for sale. When Roz, a childhood friend of Caprice's, and her husband, Ted, decided too sell their spacious castle style home, Caprice is hired to do
JJ Marunycz
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Veteran romance author, Karen Rose Smith, has launched a new cozy series: the Caprice De Luca, Home Stager Mysteries. If you've read Smith's novels, don't miss out on her debut series about an amateur sleuth who stumbles upon a murdered client at Caprice's VIP Open House for her good friend Roz.
Roz becomes the prime suspect in her husband's death, although everyone present at the Open House event could be considered a suspect. The crime has no lack of good suspects--and Caprice is determined to
Patricia
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I recently discovered Karen Rose Smith and I'm glad I did! I really enjoyed this first book, in her Caprice De Luca mystery series.

Caprice is the kind of person you would want for a friend. She is a home stager (boy, do I need her at my house!), in her 30s, wears retro 60s fashions, loves animals and her Italian family. Her sisters give her constant advice on her non-existent love life, due to her trust issues over past, failed relationships.

In Staged to Death, Caprice is helping an old friend,
Chaitra
Nope, this one didn't work at all. I don't really care about the actual mystery in cozy mysteries, provided the cast is colorful and fun. I need to want to spend time with them, because these cozies sometimes run for a long time. But in this case, Caprice is a hard pass. So is her family, her irritating love interests who're beyond gorgeous, never date, but somehow fall over each other to be with her, and all her friends. Actually, I don't know if she has any friend but Roz, the lady whose good ...more
Beth Revers
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mys-read
An interesting look at staging houses as they are to be put on sale. A quirk in interior design, Caprice gives houses a new look to help them sell, and is quite successful. She did not plan on the body in the sword room of her latest stage, so not the look she was going for. Set in the fictional town of Kismet Pennsylvania, this is a wonderful new sleuth with a full cast of characters including family, friends and the strays that our heroine seems to attract like a magnet. Definitely a keeper.
Mare
Nov 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Staged to Death is the first in a new mysteries series and one to keep an eye on. Caprice De Luca is on the A list for home stagers, amateur detectives, and most of all, for loyalty and friendship. The story is solidly written, well paced, and a fun over all read. I highly recommend this book for anyone who enjoys a good mystery with some fun retro thrown into the mix.
Shari
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A cozy mystery by Karen Rose Smith. This book brought me right in with her vivid descriptions. I fell in love with Caprice De Luca with her home staging business and amateur sleuth. Caprice will not give up until she finds the culprit. It kept me guessing until the end, of who done it. Looking forward to reading the nest book in the series.
Joanna Warrens
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book that Kensington sent me to preview. I liked the main character Caprice and I thought the home staging business was fun to read about. I will definately pass this on to others in my group!
Anne
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was not as good as I had hoped. But that being said I enjoyed it a lot so maybe I was expecting too much. The thing I liked best was the fact that the amateur sleuth who had a day job actually did some work. I liked her family and hope there will be more of them in future books.
Judy Pflueger
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The manner in which Karen Rose Smith wrote this book made me feel as if the characters are my neibhbors. I could easily visualize things in the book because of the detail she used in descrbing them. This was a really enjoyable book and I want to read more like them from this author.
Jill
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great debut mystery. The characters are likable and unique.
Norma
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
(SPOILER FREE) If you're a fan of Karen Rose Smith's other books, you will adore STAGED TO DEATH.
Tess
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a delightful new series! There isn't a better time to be releasing a book about home staging.
Meet Caprice De Luca home stager and all around nice person. Caprice is in the midst of staging a home for a high school friend Roz and her husband Ted Winslow. Roz and Ted are putting their home on the market, so they have hired Caprice to work her magic, before their open house so their home will show better.
What Caprice didn't expect was the murder of Ted shortly after the open house. Caprice a
Rhonda
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

I like this series. I had read the third book Gilt by Association and liked it. So when I had the chance to pick up the first two ebooks I grabbed them while they were on sale.

Staged to death does not disappoint. I liked the characters, especially the DeLuca family. lots of cute animals, good food, I loved the suspense and was kept guessing. This is also a clean read.

Caprice DeLuca stages houses to get them to sell quicker. Her ideas were clever. She is single, does not trust men except h
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Trying to sell your house and getting nowhere? Call Caprice DeLuca professional house stager and wait for the offers to start rolling in! Unless of course your house comes with a dead body. Then you can call Caprice DuLuca amateur sleuth!

I really enjoyed STAGED TO DEATH, the first book in the Caprice DeLuca Mysteries. And I'm thrilled to see a second in the series, DEADLY DECOR is coming out in June!

Ms. Smith has delivered an entertaining mystery with an original lead character. I read a lot of
Sandy Bartles
A Wonderful Story!

Caprice de Luca stages homes before they are put on the market. Her friend Roz Winslow and her husband hire Caprice to stage their castle of a home so they can sale it. During the showing of the house, Caprice oversees Roz's husband kissing another woman. After thinking it over, Caprice decides she needs to tell Roz. While visiting with Roz, and before she can tell her, they discover his body with a dagger sticking out of his back. Caprice decides the police are looking to pin
Up-in
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great new cozy mystery series by Karen Rose Smith! I enjoyed reading this book! Caprice is a lovable 30's something interior designer who "stages homes" for a living. She is also known to take in strays and help find them good homes. She's close with her family & friends.

In this book, Caprice stumbles upon a dead body of one of her home staging clients while visiting the house with his wife. Ted Winslow was killed with a dagger from his collection. Of course his wife, Roz is a suspect. Capri
Jeanie Jackson
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy
Staged to Death, the first book in the Caprice de Luca Myatery series, has all the elements of an outstanding series. Loved it and look forward to Deadly Decor and many more! This is an intelligent, well written, and fun cozy. I loved the family and friends; good character interaction is one of the most important characteristics of a book, especially a series, and this one has me dying to get to know the family better. Karen Rose Smith presents a well plotted murder and allows Caprice to use her ...more
  • Paws for Murder (Pet Boutique #1)
  • Final Sentence (Cookbook Nook Mystery, #1)
  • Meow If It's Murder (Nick and Nora Mysteries, #1)
  • All Fudged Up (Candy-Coated, #1)
  • Home for the Homicide (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #7)
  • One Foot in the Grape (Cypress Cove Mystery, #1)
  • Chili con Carnage (A Chili Cook-Off Mystery, #1)
  • Lending a Paw (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery, #1)
  • Murder on the Rocks (Mack's Bar Mystery, #1)
  • Parrots Prove Deadly (Pru Marlowe, #3)
  • Murder, She Barked (Paws and Claws Mystery, #1)
  • The Cat, the Vagabond and the Victim (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #6)
  • Pumpkins in Paradise (Tj Jensen Paradise Lake Mystery #1)
  • Looming Murder
  • Death of a Crabby Cook (Food Festival Mystery #1)
  • A Killer Read (Ashton Corners Book Club Mystery #1)
  • Kneading to Die (Pawsitively Organic Mysteries, #1)
  • Words With Fiends (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #3)
Award-winning author Karen Rose Smith was born in Pennsylvania. Although she was an only child, she remembers the bonds of an extended family. Family is a strong theme in her books and she suspects her childhood memories are the reason.

In college, Karen began writing poetry and also met her husband to be. They both began married life as teachers, but when their son was born, Karen decided to try

Caprice De Luca Home Staging Mystery (8 books)
  • Deadly Decor (Caprice De Luca Mystery #2)
  • Gilt by Association (Caprice De Luca Mystery #3)
  • Drape Expectations (Caprice De Luca Mystery, #4)
  • Silence of the Lamps (Caprice De Luca Mystery, #5)
  • Shades of Wrath (Caprice De Luca Mystery #6)
  • Slay Bells Ring (Caprice De Luca Mystery, #7)
  • Cut to the Chaise (Caprice De Luca Mystery, #8)