Start by marking “Light as a Feather, Stiff As a Board (Weeping Willow High #1)” as Want to Read:
Light as a Feather, Stiff As a Board (Weeping Willow High #1)

Light as a Feather, Stiff As a Board

(Light as a Feather #1)

McKenna Brady thinks her junior year of high school is going to be the best ever when she’s welcomed into the elite group of popular girls at Weeping Willow High School led by blond, gorgeous Olivia Richmond.

Prior to junior year, McKenna was known in her small town as the girl whose twin sister died in a tragic house fire, and she’s overjoyed at the prospect of redefining
Published February 5th 2013 by Lovestruck Literary

Start your review of Light as a Feather, Stiff As a Board (Weeping Willow High #1)
Donna Selina Bravo
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
***My original review for this didn't get posted *sniff, sniff, it's so sad* because I was using the wrong html formatting. Then my computer hang and ... well, everything I had composed previously just disappeared in thin air. Gone! Poof! So I'm trying my best to re-rewrite (it happened twice) that first review according to what I remember***

This was one of the best paranormal books I have ever read. In fact, it was so good, that it inspired me to write a decent review like this one.

The book had
Kristen Walker
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much that I read it in about two days and stayed up until 3 am finishing it! This book is amazing. Think "Heathers" or "Mean Girls" but with a supernatural twist! The best YA Thriller that I've read in a long time.

Some of my favorite parts of the book included how the author used common kids' games and horror stories to create her own unique world. I was definitely one of those kids who played around with Ouija boards, Tarot cards, and silly games like "Light as a feather, s
Stacy Fetters
"Violet had suggested that we play a game....

Heathers meets The Craft in this twisted story that takes place around a middle school horror game. Or for the younger generation, Riverdale meets The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.

Light as a feather, stiff as a board is a game most kids played at slumber parties. Where we tried to outdo our friends with the most terrifying tales of death and h
Stephanie ((Strazzybooks))
3.5/5

“I wanted to wake up in another town, in another life, another existence entirely, in which I had never gone to Olivia’s birthday party and become a part of this nightmare.”

I liked this more than I thought I would, but the ending (an over-the-top cliffhanger) was a disappointment.

This story of a curse/possession and hauntings was interesting and creepy.
A new girl in town gets a group of popular girls to play Light As A Feather Stiff As A Board (oh hey 5th grade memories) as she foretells
Chloe
Jun 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fine, but I think the final couple chapters of this book didn't work for me? It was like it changed to a completely different book. I also didn't realise Light as a Feather is actually a game for American children (well, that's what I've heard from my friends) so that knocked down the rating as I thought the author had come up with this idea all on her own! ...more
Atypical_bookish
amanda
Oct 14, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
McKenna Brady has done it.

She’s become one of the most popular girls at Weeping Willow High School. She’s had a tragic life thus far but for the first time in a long while, things are finally looking up.

Everything can change in the blink of an eye though and they do. It’s head of the clique, Olivia Richmond’s, Sweet 16 sleepover and the new girl in the group suggests they play a game. Her name is Violet and she has the perfect knack for weaving the creepiest stories of how each of the girls will
Katie (never.ending.reading.list)
This was a fun, lighthearted, spooky horror read - perfect for this time of year!

Light as a Feather follows a group of teenage girls who play the game light as a feather at a slumber party. During the game, the new girl in town, Violet, predicts each girls death. Later, her predictions start coming true. The surviving girls have to come together and figure out a way to stop this before its too late.

With a mix of evil spirits, hauntings, and romance, this book was a good easy scare for the Hallow
Martha
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I got this for FREE on Kindle! Compared to other free books (which are usually terrible) it was great!

This story is about as scary as I go. It wasn't really that scary; I'm just a massive wimp. As result, I got freaked out a bit, though mainly at the start.

McKenna has made it to the popular circle for her junior year of high school, befriending Mischa, Candace, queen bee Olivia and newcomer Hannah. Bored at a sleepover, Hannah suggests they play a game of “Light as a feather, stiff as a board”,
Maya White
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: may-2019
I didn't realize that this was a book until I saw the show. And we all know that the book is better than their movie or show adaptation right? And I absolutely enjoyed the show, so I knew without a doubt that I would LOVE the book...except that was not the case. I was sorta disappointed.

I think my main issue with the book was the inconsistency of the writing. Don't get me wrong, I know that this is a YA novel, so it's geared towards teenagers and those in their early twenties. Saying all of this
Allyson (AllyEmReads)
It’s weird reading this in a real book format.

In case you don’t know, this book started out on the self-publishing site called Wattpad, where it quickly became popular. I was one of the millions of original fans of this story while Zoe was still posting chapters every week or so. There are a few things that were changed from the original story, like Violet’s name was originally Hannah, but I suspect that it was just changed to accommodate the TV show. Also the ending is different, but I think t
Trisha
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought-kindle
"her body lay in a closed coffin, light as a feather, stiff as a board."

I have a habit of digging through movies coming out, see what's tied to a book, and then read the book before I see the show/movie. In this case, I found that this book is going to become a show on HULU - Light as a Feather (I think). So I went digging and realized I'd downloaded it as a freebie back in 2013! Yay!

The story started just okay. It's slow at first, and McKenna and her need to become popular was annoying. She see
gem
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I enjoyed this teen thriller, I’ll definitely be reading book 2 and watching the show.
It’s nothing mind-blowing, but if you like creepy ghost stories combined with high school drama then this is right up your street.
My friends and I used to play light as a feather stuff as a board at sleepovers after watching The Craft, but I can’t say we ever predicted each others gruesome deaths.
Quite glad about that now really!
It’s really made me want to watch The Craft and Final Destination agai
Brooke H
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
⭐⭐⭐⭐
FOUR STARS

June 10, 2020 - This book was a wild ride, I have some notes on it; more later probably if I get around to it

Hi so I've gotten around to it a month later, here's my review!

***

"Violet had suggested that we play a game....

My expectations for this book: dumb book about dramatic mean girl high schoolers and a haunted house sort of deal, not scary at all and basically similar to
J.D.
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-books
Summary:

After finally being accepted into the popular girl group at school, McKenna's life seems to finally be turning around after a devastating house fire. That is until the new girl in town, Violet, suggests they play Light as a Feather, Stiff as a Board.
Things take a dark turn when one of the girls dies exactly how Violet predicted in the game. The remaining friends become very suspicious that Violet may have had something to do with it after she seems to step into the life that the dead gi
The Goodreads Darling
Yikes This Was Boring
Rinda Reads
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: halloween
The story starts out with McKenna (recently accepted into the popular clique) and Violet (the new girl in town) arriving at Olivia’s (the most popular girl) sweet sixteen party. During the party Violet suggests they play light as a feather with a twist that she will predict each girls death in detail. It all seems like a harmless game until a week later one of the girls dies exactly as Violet predicted. McKenna, afraid that her other friends from the party may be next, scrambles to find out how ...more
Cody Pavlick
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked it I’m surprised again I feel like I say it a lot but I did really enjoy this book. Towards the end of the book, it was so good and had action and it was scary my heart was beating fast lol. I started watching the tv show after I finished this book. I think they changed a lot I definitely like the book better than the tv series.
Chance Lee
Jul 20, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-no, slj
Reviewed for School Library Journal 11/2018 (although I don't think they printed it):

After losing weight and getting contact lenses, sixteen-year-old McKenna Brady finds newfound popularity with the prettiest girls in school. At a birthday party, the girls play a game familiar to anyone who saw the 1996 film The Craft: Light as a feather, stiff as a board. During the slumber-party game, new student Violet Simmons tells grisly stories about each girl’s demise. One friend soon perishes in exactly
Bren
"She hadn’t mentioned that in her game, she was always the winner. Or that playing could cost you your life."

Light as a Feather, Stiff As a Board (Weeping Willow High #1)
by Zoe Aarsen

I think I made a mistake with t his one.

I was attracted to this book because of the title. Back when I was young, my friends and I would play this game. If you do not know what I am talking about "Light as a feather, stiff as a board" is indeed a real game. And it is a creepy one. My friends and I used to scare our
Abbie
Nov 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wattpad
Actual rating - 2.5

This wasn't an awful read, but it was nowhere near as enjoyable as I remember book one being.

I found this one to be hard to follow unfortunately. I read book one over two years ago, so my memory of what happened was very foggy. The most confusing part of the book for me though, was that the characters names had been changed. I felt completely lost at times because of it!

To sum it up, I spent most of the time thinking this;

photo 7436113.gif
Cams
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
A really good book that kept me on the edge until the very last page. It will make you wonder and work your heads out as to why those events were happening. I really loved this book since I am a huge fan of horror and suspense. In fact, this book had me looking at my back or listening to weird noises even when I was at the comforts of my home. What made me give it a four-star is that I think it needs to have a sequel.
Emily
Oct 04, 2019 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Setting this one aside. I gave it 40-ish pages and was so bored. Still going to check out the show.
Yoanna
Aug 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
I couldn't get myself to get past the 3rd chapter. I don't recommend this to anyone over 13-14 years of age or anyone who's already read some decent literature.

I admit, I didn't finish the book, and according to the other reviews the story picks up and is quite good but I suspect the adolescent NOT-coming-of-age story is going to continue as the inconsistent inner monologue of the extremely superficial McKenna and her struggle above all to be "one of the popular girls".

The constant (and filled
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

Short and Simple Review
I've had this book on my e-reader for a while, seven years to be exact. I did end up liking this book. It had some usual ghosty elements, but the concept of the deaths coming true felt unique. I was legitimately intrigued by this book, and I wanted to see how everything would get solved. The suspense within the ghosty scenes and the oncoming deaths was absolutely fantastic. While I was reading, this felt like a
Rhylee
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After watching the Hulu series I was so intrigued I had to read this book. This is such a fantastic work. It’s very paranormal and mysterious which adds to the plot more than the show ever could. I absolutely loved it!
Edha
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the first instalment of a book series (this book has also been turned into a TV series for those interested). I very much got Riverdale (S1 ofc) and CAOS vibes from just the general feel of the book. The genre hinting towards a paranormal mystery where teenagers, despite their impending high school responsibilities, try to do their best to stop an inherent evil and save their friends from it.

The story follows McKenna, who after a summer glow-up ends up becoming friends with the po
Cary Morton
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Light as a Feather, Stiff as a Board by Zoe Aarsen was a chilling tale of vengeance and greed reaching forth from the afterlife to wreak havoc on a small town as an unwitting group of teen girls become pawns in a plot from beyond the grave.

The story was well written and boasted a cast of characters both unique and complex. I thoroughly enjoyed this gripping tale would recommend it to any reader looking for a solid supernatural thriller with strong characterization and a well-constructed plot.
Kathleen Peter
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book but it wasn’t quite a 5 star for me. It was fun and I read it really fast which is usually a 5-star for me, but as good as it was it felt like a bit of a “seen that before” plot. Overall I really enjoyed the mixture of YA romance with the supernatural elements and the mystery of the deaths. Definitely good for fans of Nancy Drew, Heathers, Mean Girls and more.
What would you do? 2 14 Nov 06, 2014 03:18AM

• This Lie Will Kill You
  • Alekzandre: Volumul 2 (Alekzandre, #2)
  • Alekzandre: Volumul 1 (Alekzandre, #1)
  • The Creeping
  • Clique Bait
  • Ultima zi
  • Drako (Drako, #1)
  • The Last Witness
  • Malakai: Volumul 1 (Malakai, #1)
  • Rent a Boyfriend
Zoe Aarsen is an author, graphic designer, and horror fanatic who resides in Los Angeles, CA.

Light as a Feather (4 books)
  • Cold as Marble (Light as a Feather, #2)
  • Silent as the Grave (Light as a Feather, #3)
  • Light as a Feather Trilogy: Light as a Feather, Cold as Marble, Silent as the Grave