Start by marking “Omega Rising (Omega Force, #1)” as Want to Read:
Omega Rising (Omega Force, #1)

Omega Rising

(Omega Force #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  3,614 ratings  ·  194 reviews
Jason Burke was a man hiding from himself in a small cabin high in the American Rocky Mountains when his simple, quiet life was shattered one night by what he first assumed was an aviation mishap. But when he investigates the crash, what he finds will yank him out of his self-imposed exile and thrust him into a world he could have never imagined.

He suddenly finds himself t
Published January 20th 2014 (first published January 27th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Omega Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Omega Rising

really liked it 4.00  ·

Mike (the Paladin)
Well, I found this one interesting and pretty well plotted. We start out with an Earther (Earth man, Earth person, Terran?) shanghaied (so to speak) and pulled into intergalactic politics, oppression and just plain dangerous unpleasantness.

Over the length of the book we'll suss out traitors, find allies and in general set up a series.

Not a bad read, not a great read...okay I guess. I'll go 3 stars.
Jeffrey Ellis
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Yet another over-rated, self-published book.

I am encountering an ever increasing proportion of self-published books, mostly from newbie/unknown authors, which have ridiculously high ratings. "Omega Rising" is the latest. A recent NY Times article titled "The Best Book Reviews Money Can Buy" suggests what the problem might be, but I wish to make no accusations here. I only note that it has become difficult to trust the ratings on self-published books any longer.

"Omega Rising" is rife with grammat
Kathleen
3.5 stars for this audiobook, and the audiobook narrator gets 5 stars. This is the first book in a fun and feel-good space opera told in 3rd person. This is not hard science, nor serious warfare, but it's got a solid (enough) plot with plenty of battle action (eventually) and a heartwarming crew. So...it's fairly entertaining.

My main quibble is that Jason, the hero, makes big decisions lightly, without enough information.

Jason Burke is an American, age 26, who recently served in Afghanistan.
Abby Goldsmith
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is more fun than I've seen from space opera in a long time. It's right up there with Scott Sigler's "GFL" series. *BUT* this one suffers from amateur writing issues, of the type which won't bother most readers, but will bother anyone who's been writing fiction seriously for more than a few years. The book opens with the main character waking up, pondering his life, and describing himself by looking in the mirror. That's a cliche which every writing workshop warns against. There's some POV s ...more
Sadie Forsythe
Mar 28, 2013 rated it liked it
This was fun. It reminded me a lot of Farscape, which was always a cheesy, guilty pleasure of mine. So, I liked the premise and that really was enough for me to enjoy it. And the plot does roll along at a good clip. But the book has some fairly serious drawbacks, in my opinion.

For one, Jason has no real history or depth to his character. Nor does anyone else. Second, the book suffers from allowing its main character too many successes too quickly. For example, Jason finds himself in space, with
Lee
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: space-opera
I went in knowing that this could be a bit of a light opera and that is what i got. I have been reading a lot of Dalzelle recently and think he is one of the best space battle writers out there. This on the other hand is his pulp fiction work. It is very light, minimal character building, even though there is only one human in the story and utterly predictable.
Does that make it a boring read? No, it is exactly what it is, space opera. A easy scifi read and hopefully laying the foundation for gr
Larry B Gray
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Omega Rising by Joshua Dalzelle is a good science fiction adventure which was fun to read. I found the book hard to put down once I started reading.

The author developed a good storyline which was interesting and fast paced. It did lack a lot of depth but this made for an easy read and follow. My big problem with the book was the grammatical errors throughout the book. I found them to be distracting.

I liked the characters created by Joshua Dalzelle. I found them very believable and easy to follow
BookLoversLife
This was such an entertaining and witty sci-fi read. Initially I wasn't sure if I'd read it or not because so many times a book like this can bog you down with the sci-finess of it, but not this. It's got just the right amount of sci-fi but with the added bonus of being quite witty and funny! I loved it.

There isn't much else I can add, that isn't in the summary, that won't spoil things so I'll get down to my thoughts.

I didn't know what to think of Jason at the start, because he seemed so sullen
Todd Gutschow
Jul 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Good story but more for teens than adults

This is a simple and fun read. There's nothing new here...typical storyline you'd see in a sci fi series on TV. I wish it were a bit more complex than it is. 3 stars for basic sci fi entertainment.
RJ Beem
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. So much so that I finished it in one day! It was a fun space adventure that reminded me of the show Farscape.
Jim
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have found a new series that I think is going to be great. It’s great for two things. One, it’s the kind of military science fiction that I would like to have been part of; this story is what most science fiction fans dream of happening. Jason Burke should have been me or I should have been Jason Burke or how ever you want to put it. Two, there are eight, 8 books in the series already written. I’m in reading nirvana. I don’t know if I’ll just read all eight straight through or read something e ...more
Barakiel
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
Despite the low rating I'm giving this book, it's a fun read. Space-opera, yay!
Some serious drawbacks for me were some glaring mistakes, like the use of lay, laid, etc. A bit of a Gary Stu main character. He's great at everything and everything just comes his way and by the end of the book, he is of course the most superest person ever and almost everyone loves him. Ugh. (view spoiler)
Michael
Apr 21, 2014 rated it liked it
A good read. It was a simple, unoriginal story but fun to read. It reminded me of Juvenile Fiction (except for the few f-bombs and other curse words) as it was the kind of adventure I would hope to go on if I ever found an alien gunship in my neck of the woods.

I will read the next book in the series but not in a great hurry to do so.
Chris Ballance
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
An interesting sci-fi adventure. If you like the space opera of Star Wars, I'd wager you would enjoy this series.
Motherbeaver
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Love this series. The first book isn't great, but very entertaining. The series gets better and better.
Keith Blakemore-Noble
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
Not a brilliant book, but not terrible either. However, it really would have benefited highly from having been run past a good editor first. Too many errors which kept jumping off the page and pulling me out of enjoying reading it at times, which would have been caught with good proof-read and a good editor prior to publication.

With that said, the story itself was enjoyable and well told. Some interesting characters, which were given enough characterisation so as to make it interesting and so yo
Bob
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well Written and Fun

Joshua Dalzelle has penned a book that is a fun and entertaining adventure that is plausible and believable [at least as far as a tale about multiple races of sentient aliens can be ;-) ].
Xx Yyy is a former Air Force Special Forces operator who has been burned out from multiple tours in Iraq and Afganistan. Based on the authors description of (his actions), he made than likely has been suffering from PTSD. He has retreated to a family cabin far from other humans. He reacts to
Craig
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I would actually give Omega Rising a 3 and 1/2 star rating. Overall I did enjoy the story. I just felt the first third was rather slow, and felt not really formulaic, but not really original and engrossing. Once the action of the story got going, it was much better and I felt drawn into the story.

My only other problem with the story occurred at the end, in the epilogue. The main character was supposed to have sent a letter to a previous acquaintance. No real timeline was specified, but I had the
David P. Duffy
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun Read, Kinda “Spanky and Our Gang” Morph With “Guardians of the Galaxy”

Mr. Joshua Dalzelle, author of “Omega Rising (Omega Force Book 1),” has written a fun romp of a space saga, kinda as if “Spanky and Our Gang” - where Spanky is the sole human, the gang alien - morphed with “Guardians of the Galaxy.”

There are writing flaws, both in technique and execution, but understandable as this was apparently the author’s first indie work. All in all the story mainly works as a light hearted saga.

A bu
Jessica Torres
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good read. A bit fast paced for my taste, but I did enjoy the overall story. There were a few scenes that seemed a bit rushed or had a lack of a transition and made the scenes sometimes feel as if they jumped from one thing to the next (just a few scenes). Besides the occasional scene jumping it was an easy enjoyable read that kept my interest and kept me reading. The hard science or more factual portions was a nice touch and helped to add to the story without sounding to much like a lecture a ...more
Daniel
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought it was an interesting read. Definitely went in a direction I didn't foresee. It gave a full story and the idea that more adventures are forthcoming, in future books. It only have one small plot thread needing to be tied up, but it was introduced in the epilogue and is the 'hook' for Jason's character development in the next book.

The one thing that was a little iffy was the idea that humans are special in some way, even when they're the new guys on the galactic scene. It's a minor thing
Michael
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a good start to a new (to me) science fiction series – it hits all of the main points for me with future tech that isn’t too far-fetched for me to conceptualize, nice character development, and the author tells a good story. Just don’t take this one too seriously as there is a lot of sarcastic commentary between the characters. I picked this up for free during a Kindle promotion vs. its regular price of $2.99 and I certainly received more than $2.99 worth of entertainment value out ...more
Leslie Baptiste
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good origin story a little slow, like most origin stories but well worth it.

I know this is but one out of 10 in the series but it was an excellent book, a little slow in the beginning because it was world building. Can’t wait to go to the next nine books, and excellent read. Military science fiction aliens what more can you ask for, I am glad it’s on KU and I will now eat lean dive into the next book.
Walter Scott
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Science Fiction Lite, but a fun read

Generally, a simplistic, straight-forward story, and a fun read Joshua Dalzelld has made a good start in bringing to life a galaxy that includes Earth, but isn’t about Earth. The opening scenes are gripping and lead quickly into a storyline with some fun characters, but the book is more devoted to alien places and alien things. I enjoyed this enough to purchase Omega Force: Soldiers of Fortune.
3+ stars, rounded up.
Olof
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it. Too short though. Should have been part 1 in a book with at least 3 parts. Like the humour, but wished more of it. The actions and reactions, even though Out Of This World, felt credible. I could imagine myself as the hero. And - of course - who hasn't dreamt of stumbling onto your very own huge space gunship with a plucky, snarky android :D
Though I must say I hope that snarky android (called "synth") return in later books. He was funny :)
Shawn
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This follows a pretty standard SciFi trope. Down and out military guy in space, rag tag group of renegades. Good guys, bad guys, lasers...

I don't mind tropes. They're enjoyable, that's why they're so common. This book, and likely the series, is well written. The characters are deep enough to feel real, and the writing style makes for a page turner. I will continue to read the series.

Also: The books are fairly short, which is usually a good thing.
Dennis
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It involves a scenario that has always intrigued me; a human funds himself on an alien starship and becomes involved with worlds and races unknown to the human race. Of course the aliens have superior technology unheard of on earth. It's a quick run read and has several sequel books available.
James Maxon
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Initially had a difficult time with this one--didn't quite capture me and I felt the writing could have been stronger. Nearly put it down to come back to later. But I stuck with it, and found the story had nice glimmers of good things. Made me think of a combination of Blake's 7 and Star Trek. Will plan on checking out the 2nd book in the future.
Susan
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Omega Rising is the first book in the Omega Force series. This can be read as a standalone, but it is clear from the ending that this story is just beginning to be told. There is violence. The storyline was a bit slow but that is to be expected in the first book in a series. The story was average but worth reading with some interesting characters to keep you going.
David G Clark
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved this book. Finished it in 1/2 a day. Hard to put down. I will say that it's not exactly new ground covered here. I've read several different series that have the same premise, a disparate group of aliens gets together to save the galaxy. Looking forward to reading the next book in the series to see where it's going.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Aurora: CV-01 (The Frontiers Saga #1)
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
  • The Empire's Corps (The Empire's Corps, #1)
  • The Apocalypse Ocean (Xenowealth #4)
  • Exodus: Empires at War #2 (Exodus: Empires at War #2)
  • The Forever Gate (The Forever Gate #1)
  • Outcast (Star Force, #10)
  • The Cost of Victory (Crimson Worlds #2)
  • The Trilisk Revolution (Parker Interstellar Travels, #5)
  • Evening's Empires
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)

Omega Force (10 books)
  • Soldiers of Fortune (Omega Force, #2)
  • Savage Homecoming (Omega Force, #3)
  • The Enemy Within (Omega Force, #4)
  • Return of the Archon (Omega Force, #5)
  • Secret of the Phoenix (Omega Force, #6)
  • Redemption (Omega Force, #7)
  • The Human Factor (Omega Force, #8)
  • Revolution (Omega Force, #9)
  • Legends Never Die (Omega Force #10)
“We fight amongst ourselves over political and theological differences.” 0 likes